Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:15:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar thread  (Read 24540 times)
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2008, 12:33:04 AM »

well i have heard the final version

i love it, i loved the old versions, but i have always loved the raspy Axl voice, and it goes perfect with the song.
GNFNR-UK
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2008, 02:22:27 AM »

'Madagascar' is in my top 3 songs from the album, it is such a powerful song. I used to play the RIR3 and other soundboard versions almost on a daily basis at one point! I really like the final mix, I agree that the Buckethead solo from RIR3 was the best but I think the solo had to be toned down a bit in order for the quotes to really stand out and it has worked because I get chills every time I hear that part. Another thing I really like about the final mix is the layered vocals at the end. I remember the excitement of seeing them perform this at the 2002 VMA's and the hairs standing up on my neck as I watched in awe. I think the song is definately about the seperation from the old band and the turmoil of recording new material -

I won't be told anymore
That I've been brought down in this storm
And left so far out from the shore
That I can't find my way back, my way anymore
Forgive that they teared down my soul
Bless them that they might grow old
And free them so that they may know
That it's never too late

I think these lyrics in the verses are aimed at all the people who said Axl was a washed up has been and couldn't make it without the former members. 'Everybody's acting like we can do anything and it don't matter what we do, maybe we gotta be extra careful because maybe it matters more than you even know' I think is aimed at the critics and fans who were always complaining about the length of time the album was taking, Axl was being extra careful because he knew this album was going to matter more than anything he'd ever released in his career before.

'Im free of all the chains we had together' and 'I have a dream, Free at last, Free at last, Thank God Almighty we are free at last' I think are about Axl having a dream to take Guns in a new direction and the other members not supporting this new sound, he eventually had to break freem from them, didn't Axl even say in an interview that being made to record with the old band would be like a 'prison sentence'? The original band had a 'Failiure to communicate', Axl really is a genius for re-using this sample as it now has so many meanings. I could go on and on about why I believe this song is about the old band and the split but it seems obvious really, however these are just my interpretations.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 02:25:58 AM by GNFNR-UK » Logged

Previously GNFNRUK, long time poster at HTGTH who forgot his password and had 500+ posts, ooops!
Akasha
Banned
Opening Act

These Eyes!

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2008, 10:47:13 AM »

Can anyone else name a current song that deals with such powerful themes? The closest I can think of is Life Your Life, just off the top of my head (but even that doesn't quite reach the same level as this song). U2 would come close, but Under A Blood Red Sky/Joshua Tree era.

There is so much strength to this song - the words, the lyricism, the delivery, the sound bytes.

Sure there are elements of autobiography but the overall meaning is bigger than all of us.

What amazes me is how the samples fit right into the rhythm or is it the other way around.

BTW I am really astounded that there is a thread running that aims to vote off the least favorite song - and this is one of them!

no  Dr Martin Luther King's speech is one of the the most inspirational of the 20th century.

*raises fist into the air*

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 11:01:02 AM by Akasha » Logged

The one who can't recall.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2008, 11:30:30 AM »

finalversion is amazing.
the most powerfull song on the cd
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2008, 06:24:54 PM »

finalversion is amazing.
the most powerfull song on the cd

Absolutely.
Not necessarily my favorite, or what i think is the best... but for depth of meaning and lyrical artistry, this song is unreal.

At the close of what feels like a rough year at what is hopefully the end of a long journey in my life, this song serves as an anthem. A cry of defiance and serious intent.

I won't be told anymore
That I've been brought down in this storm
And left so far out from the shore
That I can't find my way back, my way, anymore.
Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »

Graduated today, quite drunk now. There was this girl I liked, but with the things I've seen today, this song has never felt more close as it has today, specially the line

I've searched and found the ways you used to lure me in

So fuck you and the guy I earlier today was so happy to have as my friend.

Oh no I won't be told anymore..

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
Annie
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2009, 10:31:28 PM »

I love Madagascar! I'll never forget the first time I heard part of it at the VMA's in 2002. It totally blew me away then, and it still blows me away now!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:39:34 PM by Annie » Logged
MoonMax
Headliner

Moon Travel Free Of Charge!

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »

'Madagascar' is in my top 3 songs from the album, it is such a powerful song. I used to play the RIR3 and other soundboard versions almost on a daily basis at one point! I really like the final mix, I agree that the Buckethead solo from RIR3 was the best but I think the solo had to be toned down a bit in order for the quotes to really stand out and it has worked because I get chills every time I hear that part. Another thing I really like about the final mix is the layered vocals at the end. I remember the excitement of seeing them perform this at the 2002 VMA's and the hairs standing up on my neck as I watched in awe. I think the song is definately about the seperation from the old band and the turmoil of recording new material -
[

If it's right what you said about the song being about old/new band stuff, I would totaly loose my respect for Axl.

I get your point guys, about the voice. Personaly I'm fine with it. But I think I would also pick the live version from Rio then the album one. But I still like the album version. The only thing that's bit frustrating, is the opening sound of that "brass synth"(I'd call it). It seems like it's the same one, they were using during the shows, but sounds bit strange here.
Anyway, I realy like the song and the lyrics and the fact, that next to If The World, it's something different from the other songs on the album and different from many many songs we know.
Is there a way to find out what these famous words "My'd..." should be? It bothers me since I've first heared the song.

The funniest thing about Madagascar is, while played live in 2002 in Osaka, the drums started the song as if it had 5/4 time signature and then the keys brought it back to 4/4. Funny. 
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2009, 12:33:06 PM »

I love Madagascar! I'll never forget the first time I heard part of it at the VMA's in 2002. It totally blew me away then, and it still blows me away now!

That performance of Madagascar was incrrrrrrrrrrrrrrredible beer

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Annie
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2009, 12:55:07 PM »

That performance of Madagascar was incrrrrrrrrrrrrrrredible beer
I did cry when I heard it that first time.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2009, 02:18:11 PM »

By contraries, I've really taken to the voice on the album. very expressive of quiet grief.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2009, 03:50:35 PM »

I think the Rio version of Madagascar was timeless. I do enjoy the album version though.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2009, 04:46:27 PM »

I think the Rio version of Madagascar was timeless. I do enjoy the album version though.

Loved it. And I thought the album was half a year away...

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2009, 05:09:10 PM »

That live version is pretty special
I think iprefere the way he sings it in that version too

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
GIMH
Opening Act

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »

A truly brilliant song, Axl really delivers on this one. This song has really impressed some of my non-GNR fan friends
y2marmar
Headliner

I love the chosen one...

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2009, 06:45:38 PM »

I have friends who don't like GnR but love this song too. It has some very powerful emotions. This has been my favorite GnR song for years

Jean Claude Jaquatee...because you know who you are...when you're you
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »

A lot of people bash the 02 vma performance, but i thought that version of Madagascar was phenomenal.  drool

I love the album version as well ok

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
AC
Rocker

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2009, 04:18:47 PM »

I agree. That performance at the VMA's was great (IMO).

AA.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2009, 05:08:17 PM »

I kept thinking about Madagascar as I watched Barack Obama's Inauguration celebration yesterday. It is too bad that Chinese Democracy wasn't released earlier, and Madagascar was released as a single so the mass would already be familiar with it. You know, if this album was promoted proper like as it deserved. It really fits the whole theme of right now. It would have been so amazing and appropriate for Axl to have performed this yesterday. On the dawn of MLK Jr. day and Barack's big day tomorrow. I love this song, and really love Barack. I feel this is such a triumphant time. Wasted opportunity for Madagascar to have been part of such an historic and wonderful time. Oh well.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Annie
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »

I kept thinking about Madagascar as I watched Barack Obama's Inauguration celebration yesterday. It is too bad that Chinese Democracy wasn't released earlier, and Madagascar was released as a single so the mass would already be familiar with it. You know, if this album was promoted proper like as it deserved. It really fits the whole theme of right now. It would have been so amazing and appropriate for Axl to have performed this yesterday. On the dawn of MLK Jr. day and Barack's big day tomorrow. I love this song, and really love Barack. I feel this is such a triumphant time. Wasted opportunity for Madagascar to have been part of such an historic and wonderful time. Oh well.
I agree. I played it first thing this morning on the way to work!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: