Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:38:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar thread  (Read 24548 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2009, 05:17:54 PM »

never mind. both obama administration and cd have just started. there will be other oppotunities. 
cjmax02
Rocker

literary protostar

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2009, 06:55:44 PM »

Madagascar grew on me.  It kinda had to, it's got a heart and a meaning and a message and you gotta be ready to hear it.

"Let me tell you a story..."  this bit just...it's got such a positive message, y'all are right it should probably have been performed at the inauguration celebration.  But I think it's kinda directed to the world as a whole, not just the USA. :3

do you even know where the fuck I am?
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »

Madagascar grew on me.  It kinda had to, it's got a heart and a meaning and a message and you gotta be ready to hear it.

"Let me tell you a story..."  this bit just...it's got such a positive message, y'all are right it should probably have been performed at the inauguration celebration.  But I think it's kinda directed to the world as a whole, not just the USA. :3

My friend Barack Obama is not just for the U.S.A. either. Under Barack Obama the world will change.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2009, 05:45:03 AM »

Forgive that they teared down my soul
Bless them that they might grow old
And free them so that they may know
That it's never too late

I am planning on getting these lined tattoo'd before I see my next gnr show. Every person gets something different from lyrics. These words helped me so much that I want them as a reminder forever.
amyl

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2009, 01:44:22 PM »

Damn, those really are amazing lyrics. Stunning.

Barack is our President now. Life is so fucking beautiful today.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:27 PM »

"Let me tell you a story..." 

That is my favorite part of the song.
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2009, 07:04:29 AM »

Forgive that they teared down my soul
Bless them that they might grow old
And free them so that they may know
That it's never too late

those lyrics are even more amazing when you consider how hurtful and destructive some people have been to axl.  the fact that former bandmates and ex girlfriends could do everything in their power to ruin axl, but he still asks god to forgive them there trespasses speaks VOLUMES about what an amazing guy axl is.  if it was me, and slash tried to sue me and drag my name through the mud i probably would never even consider forgiving him.  but axl is truly a special man with a heart as big as any the world has ever known.  i'm so glad he could put all his inspiring, selfless emotions into song so we could all share.
y2marmar
Headliner

I love the chosen one...

« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2009, 07:10:43 AM »

I kept thinking about Madagascar as I watched Barack Obama's Inauguration celebration yesterday. It is too bad that Chinese Democracy wasn't released earlier, and Madagascar was released as a single so the mass would already be familiar with it. You know, if this album was promoted proper like as it deserved. It really fits the whole theme of right now. It would have been so amazing and appropriate for Axl to have performed this yesterday. On the dawn of MLK Jr. day and Barack's big day tomorrow. I love this song, and really love Barack. I feel this is such a triumphant time. Wasted opportunity for Madagascar to have been part of such an historic and wonderful time. Oh well.

I agree. It would have been perfect. It really fits the issues raised yesterday.

Jean Claude Jaquatee...because you know who you are...when you're you
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »

Isn't it interesting how/telling that the samples start with "I'm gonna tell you a story"?

I bet some people just think they put random samples there because it sounds cool.  Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2009, 01:26:18 PM »

Isn't it interesting how/telling that the samples start with "I'm gonna tell you a story"?

I bet some people just think they put random samples there because it sounds cool.  Cheesy

/jarmo

Hopefully they aren't that stupid.  Roll Eyes  hihi

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2009, 01:40:08 PM »

/jarmo

totally true.  there's so much to appreciate in that song, from the organs to the symphony orchestra to the spoken word part.  it's like a million layers of sonic expression, so yeah i can see that it might take people a few listens to apprecaite all that is going on.  it is very cool that they start the spoken word part with a sample that explains 'i'm going to tell you a story.'  that  way it is literally like its telling you a story.  but i wonder why they didn't find a sample that had something about 'this is the end' or 'now sing it one more time..." (leading into the final chorus)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2009, 01:49:52 PM »

I don't think I've fully grasped the meaning of the song but I'm guessing it's something to do with both the evolution of the band and that of human society.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2009, 01:36:10 PM »

/jarmo

Hopefully they aren't that stupid.  Roll Eyes  hihi

You know, not everybody pays attention to stuff like lyrics.

nervous

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
y2marmar
Headliner

I love the chosen one...

« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2009, 01:39:26 PM »

I just adore the lyrics in this song. They're beautiful and so so powerful. REally inspiring.

Jean Claude Jaquatee...because you know who you are...when you're you
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2009, 03:09:45 PM »

I'm loving this song again right now.  The sample section is still badass even after hearing it for years now.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2009, 04:50:05 PM »

Freedom infers responsibility.

I'm listening to that inaugural address again feeling some of the sentences correspond to the song.

that greatness is never a given. It must be earned.

since adam and eva left paradise we will never be able to find our way back any more but

"With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come. Let it be said by our children?s children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God?s grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations."

just a random thought. 

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2009, 12:12:16 PM »

who do you think Axl is referring to when he says forgive them they tear down my soul, bless them that they may grow old, etc?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2009, 01:46:22 PM »

who do you think Axl is referring to when he says forgive them they tear down my soul, bless them that they may grow old, etc?

You.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2009, 01:57:11 PM »

You.
Im honored love

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Sandstone
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »

I watched the film 'Casualties of War' last night. Just had a little read about it on wikipedia

'A quote from Michael J. Fox's character was sampled in the song "Madagascar" in the Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy'

3:36 to 3:44 you can hear Mr Fox speaking and also from the same film I'm pretty sure Sean Penn is quoted at 4:01 to 4:07

I'd recommend this film, maybe it was part of the inspiration for the song itself

ok
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: