Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:46:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This I Love - discussion/comments
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This I Love - discussion/comments  (Read 173429 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #740 on: December 03, 2009, 02:35:32 PM »

what most great about the solo is  the well calculated imo tottering and swaying. that balances perfectly with
 the rest of the song that could easily be felt too serious.
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #741 on: December 03, 2009, 05:25:24 PM »

I wrote on Patti Hood's wall in facebook yesterday. She seems to be a great person  love

She said ''I wish it was higher in the mix'', talking about her harp on TIL

Yea, I wish it was higher in the mix as well. But her harp sounds awesome nonetheless! love

IMHO, Robin's solo at This I Love is one of the 3 best guitar solos in the complete GNR discography.
Robin's TIL solo is one of the 3 best melodic guitar solos in the GnR discography imo. The other two, for me, are Ron's Catcher (the outro solo, not the first, which is amazing but not as good as the outro) and Bucket's TWAT - to be honest, Robin's Street of Dreams and TWAT solos are almost as good, if not as good as Bucket's TWAT solo.

And that instrumental passage where the Robin solo is included (the piano, orchestra and harp ''behind'' robin's guitar) is probably the most incredible and emotional moment I've ever hear from Guns, only comparable to the extended instrumental part of TWAT and November Rain's outro.
TWAT and November Rain, really? Imo this passage is the most emotinal moment I've ever heard from Guns, along with Catcher outro. Man, when I hear Axl singing those words and Ron playing that outro... drool Prostitute's outro deserves a mention, really.

Instrumentally, TIL is flawless. Simply perfect. If there is ANYTHING to criticize to TIL (I dont really think there are critics to make) are axl's vocals at some points of the song.
Imo Axl's vocals is some of the highlights of the song. I love it!

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #742 on: December 03, 2009, 05:28:51 PM »

Patti Hood brings the house down with her harp.

I hate it when people bash on the harp, that's a downright pimpin' instrument.
Il?vatar
Headliner

« Reply #743 on: December 07, 2009, 01:53:22 PM »

I think the harp is buried in the mix mostly, it takes some potent herb consumption on my behalf for me to really pick it out. Same with the orchestra under the guitar solo, it is pretty epic, theres a guitarless version out there and it blew me away, no wonder Axl said he was proud of it because its stunning.
I love the song as it is very much though, its grew on me more than any other on the album. I thought it would make a great single for this time of year, its so atmospheric and beautiful, I think it would have went down great on the radio over the holiday season. For me its definently a crossover song which would appeal to a general music fan, perhaps more so than a traditional rock audience.
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #744 on: December 07, 2009, 02:20:59 PM »

Can't wait to hear it live, how ever they do it!  beer

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #745 on: December 07, 2009, 02:28:36 PM »

Let me think about it....This I love....DJ solo.....

YES! YES! YES! YES! Can?t wait to hear that.....

Wink

...We take for granted we know the whole story. We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines...
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #746 on: December 07, 2009, 04:43:47 PM »

Let me think about it....This I love....DJ solo.....

YES! YES! YES! YES! Can?t wait to hear that.....

Wink

Uuffff... Patience !!!

peace

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
ben9785
« Reply #747 on: December 07, 2009, 05:20:28 PM »

one year later, still an amazing song..

Robin's solo fits it, because it has more emotion, more of a feeling than some kind of generic straight solo

from what i can hear of the harp, little subtleties, it complements the song well

and the drums are good, picks up the song and adds some more power to it

just wait to see what they do with it if they play it live..
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:24:12 PM by ben857 » Logged
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #748 on: December 08, 2009, 01:51:39 PM »

Robin's solo fits it, because it has more emotion, more of a feeling than some kind of generic straight solo

from what i can hear of the harp, little subtleties, it complements the song well

Exactly.

I'm not one that thinks a new player has to play parts "exactly" like the original but I'm sure hoping this one's close.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Estranged#9
Rocker

"maybe i'l get it right next time..?."

« Reply #749 on: December 10, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »

Exactly.

I'm not one that thinks a new player has to play parts "exactly" like the original but I'm sure hoping this one's close.

I agree!!  and i think DJ will make sure to do Robin/song justice !!!   
if they play it live it will be a beautiful and powerful peace!!   ( *anticipation*) yes

Chicago11/18/02
N'ville10/22/06
Chicago11/27/06
Chicago11/15/11
Nashville12/4/11 CivilWar
Chicago2/19/12HOB
Vegas 11/23/12 izzy
Vegas 11/24/12 izzy
KC 6/2/13
Vegas 6/6/14
Vegas 6/7/14
Annie
« Reply #750 on: December 11, 2009, 10:36:29 PM »

I am so envious of the people who got to see this song performed live for the very first time!
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #751 on: December 30, 2009, 06:52:45 PM »

Well, I have to say this i love live is starting to sound great, Ashba butchered the solo the first couple of times, but he's doing some progress as time and shows go by.

I think it sounds better live than on the cd. Especially axl's vocals.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #752 on: December 30, 2009, 10:29:22 PM »

Well, I have to say this i love live is starting to sound great, Ashba butchered the solo the first couple of times, but he's doing some progress as time and shows go by.

I think it sounds better live than on the cd. Especially axl's vocals.
For the record, I think Ashba only "butchered the solo" the first time it was played live.  There could've been any number of factors that went into that.  But as far as I've heard, he's played it just fine since then.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #753 on: December 30, 2009, 11:23:57 PM »

I gotta say I still think November Rain is better but This I Love has grown on me. I can't seem to get NR out of my head but TIL is a good song.

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #754 on: December 31, 2009, 01:24:42 AM »

TWAT is better then November rain and TIL but a light year. Its literally in another Universe musically then either one of these. Bucket is the fuckin shit and proves it. Slash and Robin were showed up. Its the greatest solo in GNR's catalog. Those are great songs but, they are not TWAT great.

edit: I want to add that the Solo in Sorry is really fucking class. They it drops out and swaggers back in. Its really original and just plain cool. It really solidifies the song.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 01:27:18 AM by Buddha_Master » Logged

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #755 on: December 31, 2009, 02:02:11 AM »

its hard comparing songs cause u have to realize NR has been around 18 years whereas TIL is still new.. so its hard to make it a fair comparison when NR has been so played and worn out over the years.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #756 on: December 31, 2009, 05:48:15 AM »

the emotion that TIL has makes it an instant classic

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #757 on: December 31, 2009, 02:37:45 PM »

my friend crying all day..she didn't hear song,she just read a lyrics
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #758 on: February 16, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »

I have to say that this song is just epic, each time I put this song on, I'm always discovering something new. Robins solo in this song is in my opinion, one of the most heartfelt and emotional solos in GN'R history. It was my dream to see this song live, and I finally did in Toronto and I have to say DJ does the solo justice. But I love Robin for coming up with it, and it goes perfectly with Axl's lyrics and piano melodys.

I'm sure everybody has a favourite on CD, but mine is definately This I Love. It's so inspirational and really makes you think, then the solo comes out of nowhere and rocks the hell out of it.  Grin

Lee
Lou
Rocker

« Reply #759 on: February 17, 2010, 03:26:03 PM »

I have to say that this song is just epic, each time I put this song on, I'm always discovering something new. Robins solo in this song is in my opinion, one of the most heartfelt and emotional solos in GN'R history. It was my dream to see this song live, and I finally did in Toronto and I have to say DJ does the solo justice. But I love Robin for coming up with it, and it goes perfectly with Axl's lyrics and piano melodys.

I'm sure everybody has a favourite on CD, but mine is definately This I Love. It's so inspirational and really makes you think, then the solo comes out of nowhere and rocks the hell out of it.  Grin

Lee

I have to agree here. That solo is stunning!

My Last.fm profile - in case you ever wanna know what I'm listening to...
My Webzine/Blog Thingy
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: