Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:35:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This I Love - discussion/comments
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This I Love - discussion/comments  (Read 174614 times)
benfolds4980
Opening Act

« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2008, 04:56:54 PM »

Isnt it possible that after all these years he's still hung up on Erin? 
Reinaldo
Rocker

"O.K., Nevermind!"

« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2008, 05:07:40 PM »

Most emotional and beautiful love song ever created. I thought The Bl.. Street of Dreams was "the sequel to the trilogy". But this is the one. Even the wind and the flute of NR are here.

Finck solo = drool

Clear to see GNR is on another level. Led Zeppellin, Queen.. know what I'm saying?

Am I wrong or, as an intro to NR, did Axl play it on piano, singing along a small part of the lyrics on the 2002 tour?

RIR 2001 - Porto Alegre 2010 - RIR 2011 - Rio de Janeiro 2014 & 2016 - RIR 2022
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2008, 05:08:27 PM »

Personally, I think it's about another woman that we don't know about.  I don't understand why people assume we know every woman he's had in his life.  He disappeared for a long time!! And he was very private for alot of that time.  

Granted it very well could be about Erin or Stephanie.  But I'd say there's a good chance it's about someone that we know nothing about.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2008, 05:16:33 PM »

Personally, I think it's about another woman that we don't know about.  I don't understand why people assume we know every woman he's had in his life.  He disappeared for a long time!! And he was very private for alot of that time.  

Granted it very well could be about Erin or Stephanie.  But I'd say there's a good chance it's about someone that we know nothing about.

Fair point, although if this song was written in '94 like it's rumoured to have been, it probably would be about one of the two.
Wernie
Desperate Elbowlicker
VIP

I don't know if soon is the word...(FYI, IT'S NOT)

« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »

I don't have words enough to discribe my feelings for this song. After 1 day. Amazing.

I can honestly admit that I had tears in my eyes after less than 2 minutes into my first listen. Have listened to TIL probably 30 times today Cheesy

Thank you Axl, you'll always be the special one!

So I send this song to the offended...
5thofwhiskey
Rocker

Estranged............The Guns n' Roses Story

« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2008, 07:23:26 PM »

5th finally found a song..... he can listen too, while he wears his lipstick and jewels.......... love

awesome song............damn

-wHisKey
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2008, 08:36:23 PM »

OK OK

Ive been listening and I admit, thats a pretty god damn great solo.

I got the headphones on and I am hearing way more than I did previously. Blame AIM HAHAHA

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2008, 08:37:36 PM »

The orchestration in the left ear during the final verse is fantastic. The nice little melody run, crushes whatever is left of your heart.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Nostradamus
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #188 on: November 21, 2008, 09:14:22 PM »

I don't know much about guitar because I don't play.  I can only say how it sounds to me.  I love it.  I really like Robin's solo work.  There is something about the way he plays or tunes his guitar or something that gives it a powerful sound (not sure how to describe it, but I'm sure you guys know what I am talking about).  I have noticed it ever since Rock in Rio 3 where he did some of the NR and SCOM solos. 

I think it is a good compliment to the extraordinary work BH does on this album.  It is nice to have great guitar work from people with different styles.  Don't get me wrong, I love Slash more than anyone, but I live the variety and different sounds on this album.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2008, 02:37:48 AM »

ive been thinking about it over the past few days as I have listened to this song...i think this might be the best song Axl has ever written...
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2008, 02:44:31 AM »

yes this is the one song that i can't skip...

my personal fav, loving life more with this song, thank you Axl

it's so special

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2008, 02:47:10 AM »

Hve to agree, his one really moves me. in a very positive way , ironic, when its such a haunting sad, tune, but I understand and feel it cause I've felt those emotions in my own life over people that I cared so much for , so KUDOS AXL and thanks for it!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
riotact_vancity
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2008, 02:56:23 AM »

the more i listen to this......it maybe tops November Rain. If they release it as a single it'll be huge, the one song on the album that's a guaranteed, surefire hit. I'm scared they're gonna fuck this up and release Street of Dreams as a single instead....
Jarrod
Opening Act

« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2008, 03:26:01 AM »

This song...WOW!!! Man, thats all...Fucking WOW!!!

I listened to this song and Im not too many to admit that it brought tears to my eyes...But there is a reason for this...

When I was 13 I fell in love with this girl who was the most awsome person I had ever met. Not only was she beautiful, she was also this perfect person on the inside. We spent nights together kissing and holding each other, and she taught me everything I know about kissing and love and just being 'tender' with someone special, but we had to keep it a secret or else we would notve been allowed to spend our nights together (parents would never have approved)...Unfortunately she was only visiting here and when she left it destroyed me.

The day she left this song couldve easily been playing because everything said in this song I can relate it to that day she left. I never got over her, even though Im married happily with a child and so is she, I will never get over her.

Now this song is amazing, and perfect as a ballad, but lyrically no words can describe what this song does to me. It makes me relive that horrible day every time I hear it, and I cant stop playing it.

Im sending it to 'that girl' as a way of letting her know what she meant, and will always mean to me.

My GOD when he sings, "So if she's somewhere near me, I hope to god she hears me..." and so on it just rips me apart.

Now THAT is a brilliant lyricist working with amazing lyrics.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2008, 05:37:21 AM »

Sorry.... but COMPLETELY DISAGREE with you guys. ok

The simplicity of the Finck solo suits the "stripped down" feel of this song to a T. It's beautiful and the best instrumental performance on the album IMHO (with Buckethead's solo on TWAT a close 2nd). A throw back and nod to earlier GN'R eras. This is one song that I'm really glad that we don't have Buckethead or Bumblefoot wanking all over it (though their solos are fucking awesome on other tracks- and yes I know they're capable of playing mellow and with "feeling" too.). This song is like a delicate little flower that needs to be protected. Finck's solo perfectly captures that vibe IMHO. He was the right man for the job- and I have no reservation including this song on my GN'R top 10 and possibly top 5.

But as you said- to each their own! beer

I couldn't have said it better. Robin fucking owns with his solo in the song. It IS that good.

I've been to a few GNR boards and the general consensus is Great amazing beautiful song but the solo is lacking.

How could it be, that I've also visited all major GNR boards and the general consensus is ''amazing song with an out of this world, outstanding guitar solo''.

To be honest, I am not surprised you dont like the solo. You seem to have something personal against Robin. Predictable.
Same here, everybody is loving Robin's solo as far as I know.

Pingouirose
Rocker

Here I Am !

« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2008, 09:12:36 AM »

Jarmo please tell Axl Rose to release this hit as a single. IT WOULD BOMB

IMHO, best song GNR, all periods
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2008, 09:18:59 AM »

I have heard the song 4 o 5 times and cried like a baby every  time. It releases all the pain I have inside. I don't know if I could or even should listen to it more today. Axl thank you for being the brave amazing artist you are. Thank you

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #197 on: November 22, 2008, 09:21:25 AM »

The solo is great. Robin is good technically, but does not let the technical aspect overshadow the feel he has, the emotion that comes out of his playing. B-Foot is a technical wizard ( as well as Bucket) but they could not pull of the solo with the raw emotion that Robin does.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2008, 10:05:21 AM »

I've changed my mind, even Catcher doesn't beat this. Not only is it the best Guns N' Roses song ever, it is also the most beautiful song ever written. Better than November Rain, better than Estranged, better than anything. This song showcases Axl's enormous talent better than any other song. Extremely moving song.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Olorin
« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2008, 10:13:50 AM »

I'm amazed how popular this is.

I think its ok, I never really get an urge to play it though, and it certainly wouldnt make my top 10 Guns N Roses songs.

Its different and I admire it for that.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: