Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:26:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This I Love - discussion/comments
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This I Love - discussion/comments  (Read 174357 times)
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #420 on: January 07, 2009, 03:07:19 PM »

donno about "one of the greatest and most touching ballads of ALL TIME." bit
but people that like watching figureskating and would love the song aren't the minority in the real world.

OK, I can see your point there.  Maybe that's my problem with the song.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #421 on: January 07, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »

I think there's a certain classical feel about this song and maybe that is being a hurdle for you, lunsjail.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #422 on: January 07, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »

So, you're in favor of limiting the song to a certain audience?

Excuse Axl for taking his music to a whole new level. 

Last time I checked, figure skaters were free to use whatever piece of music they wanted.  I would be thrilled to hear a GN'R song at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #423 on: January 07, 2009, 05:05:31 PM »

Last time I checked, figure skaters were free to use whatever piece of music they wanted.  I would be thrilled to hear a GN'R song at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

Keep in mind that Axl would have to approve of any such use of his song.  Maybe that would be a good question for dexter in his next possible discussion.

And...we've officially run this figure skating thing into the ground now.   Lips Sealed

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #424 on: January 07, 2009, 05:06:31 PM »

Keep in mind that Axl would have to approve of any such use of his song.  Maybe that would be a good question for dexter in his next possible discussion.

And...we've officially run this figure skating thing into the ground now.   Lips Sealed

Not really.  I think they would have to even pay him if they used that song.

You sir, have run out of material.

Good day.
MoonMax
Headliner

Moon Travel Free Of Charge!

« Reply #425 on: January 09, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »

There's this wiki thing, that pissed me a bit: "After her relationship with Beatty, she was involved with Axl Rose, the lead singer of Guns N' Roses. She appeared in two music videos by Guns N' Roses: "Don't Cry" and "November Rain". "This I Love", from the album Chinese Democracy was also written for her.[citation needed] ". It's about Mrs Stephanie. Can someone fix it on wikipedia, while there's no proof?

Guys, come on... When I first heared it, I thought, it was Ricky Martin's song...
 The song defenitly has its potential. I'm not saying that it's not emotional, or that the true emotions aren't behind it, but I'm very conserned about, how those feelings were used! The lyrics are cheese themselves plus they rhyme like in some childish poem. But I would live with that. BUT! This, plus strings, plus this plastic like sound of the piano, that's sugar put on ice with fruits with cream.

The solos' great. I think the best on the album(specialy right before and right after the drums kicks in). I'm saying that, because it has its given time, it has its sense and looks like Robin Finck realy understood what this song is about and gave his best to it. Since I first heared all of the tracks one by one, I havn't changed my mind. It has something to say.

To be honest I like Ricky Martin in my own way, and in this case I'm fine with the lyrics, because Axl's singing them (it's like in many cases on this album), but saying that this is the best song ever...even saying that this is the best Guns song...come on! Maybe some frozen yogurt first.
Annie
« Reply #426 on: January 09, 2009, 06:15:16 PM »

I can't believe they posted that on wikipedia. I absolutely adore TIL. It has to be my all time favorite song., but you are entitled to your opininon Moon MAX. I don't find it cheesy, just hauntingly romantic!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #427 on: January 11, 2009, 04:20:47 PM »

OK, I can see your point there.  Maybe that's my problem with the song.

i guess your problem is getting solved.
i sorta understood your rejection when i saw a ballroom dance to the song at youtube.  nervous
But that's ok. the song is loved widely.
and ballet or ice skating rocks when done by the best.
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »

the new gnr needs the publicity...any exposure is welcomed

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #429 on: January 11, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »

GNR and figure skating don't go together. Period.  The extreme minority you speak of is the people who post on this board praising the song.  I've played it for other GNR fans (don't post on message boards) and they turn up their nose about 10 seconds in.  Tell me how (other than your own opinion) is this "quickly becoming one of the greatest and most touching ballads of ALL TIME."  Evidence?

It's a great song. The worst thing an artist can do is limit himself and it's worse when people try to put others in boxes. There's nothing wrong with a little diversity.
Annie
« Reply #430 on: January 11, 2009, 08:05:32 PM »

I registered on a couple of TWILIGHT websites. I encourgaged people to buy CHINESE DEMOCRACY and listen to THIS I LOVE. My screenname is ILOVEAXLROSE. I think the TWILIGHT crowd will really love this song!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #431 on: January 11, 2009, 08:14:20 PM »

Let us know how that goes.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #432 on: January 11, 2009, 09:19:51 PM »

I registered on a couple of TWILIGHT websites. I encourgaged people to buy CHINESE DEMOCRACY and listen to THIS I LOVE. My screenname is ILOVEAXLROSE. I think the TWILIGHT crowd will really love this song!

you can tell them GNR already used a song for interview with the vampire  ok

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #433 on: January 11, 2009, 10:18:04 PM »

I think alot of people think the song is too soft.  Well what do you expect ? I really like the song and I don't care what people say about This I Love is a top track on Chinese Democracy.  Robin's solo is earth shattering.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #434 on: January 11, 2009, 11:42:33 PM »

i can imagine this tune is also great for ballet or figure skating. 

Am I on the wrong board?  You really want a GNR song (even this pansy one) associated with ballet or figure skating?  I know some of you really love this song and we can agree to disagree about that.  But some of you have lost all ability for rational thought over it.

fyi... figure skaters are amazing atheletes and artists.  i'm sorry that doesn't fit into your narrow view of the world or what kind of music axl rose makes, but if you look around i think you'll see you are in the extreme minority of haters who diss what's quickly become one of the greatest and most touching ballads of ALL TIME.  period.

GNR and figure skating don't go together. Period.  The extreme minority you speak of is the people who post on this board praising the song.  I've played it for other GNR fans (don't post on message boards) and they turn up their nose about 10 seconds in.  Tell me how (other than your own opinion) is this "quickly becoming one of the greatest and most touching ballads of ALL TIME."  Evidence?

i think the problem is your friends.  they sound like very close-minded people who probably can't appreciate beautiful and intelligent music like classical music or this i love.  it's like if you had a great steak but served it to someone without a tongue.  dont case axl's pearls before swine.

and once and for all:  this i love would make the ultimate olympic figure skating/ice dancing song.  if you disagree you either don't know figure skating or you don't know guns n' roses.
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #435 on: January 12, 2009, 09:21:58 AM »

Figure Skating? We've gone to far with this discussion..As suggested, can you imagine asking Axl if he would allow TIL to appear during Figure Skating? That would make a funny SNL skit, and they need them..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #436 on: January 12, 2009, 11:20:56 AM »

Figure Skating? We've gone to far with this discussion..As suggested, can you imagine asking Axl if he would allow TIL to appear during Figure Skating?
certainly.  That is easier than imagining this song to appear during a football game. 
i don't get the skate phobia.  Huh

anyways
the intro reminds me of the swan of tuonela. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6B5_l-yUFsE
i can sorta see annie's vampire association.
vampires never die or get old, yes?  mortals eternally yearn for eternity. 
Annie
« Reply #437 on: January 12, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »

Figure Skating? We've gone to far with this discussion..As suggested, can you imagine asking Axl if he would allow TIL to appear during Figure Skating?
certainly.  That is easier than imagining this song to appear during a football game. 
i don't get the skate phobia.  Huh

anyways
the intro reminds me of the swan of tuonela. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6B5_l-yUFsE
i can sorta see annie's vampire association.
vampires never die or get old, yes?  mortals eternally yearn for eternity. 

I seriously think if you could find a way to promote this song to the TWILIGHT crowd that it would be a huge hit. MTV talks about TWILIGHT all the time. It would also make a really cool video. Young people deserve much better music than the crap that is out there. And it is the young people these days who buy the music. And by young I mean kids under 22. There was a post at mygnr about TIL that said over 40 musicians aren't played on TOP 40 stations, and that TIL was too soft for hard rock stations. I just think TIL is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs of all time and people deserve to hear it! To quote one of my favorite characters from the movie CLUELESS, " Have we learned nothing from Madonna?" It's OK for artists to reinvent themselves if they choose to do so. Also when you go into HOT TOPIC you can find TWILIGHT merchandise near GNR merchandise. You can also find cute goth Hello Kitty stuff too! hihi
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:58:41 AM by Annie » Logged
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #438 on: January 12, 2009, 01:01:40 PM »

This I Love will be the song that carries the album. I was driving the other night and turned it up. And it hit me how great this song really is. WHo on the radio has a song like this out right now? No one. Its a modern day ballad. But Unique.

I firmly believe that if the band has their act together when/if they release this as a single down the road this will be the song that breaks the wall. By that I mean this band better have a video lined up with its release as well.

This song can be played on 3 of the countrys biggest and most influential radio stations here in NY.

Krock
Q104.3(havnt been able to play new gnr yet)
and the wildcard....

Z100

If this song hits on those last 2 stations then this album will sky rocket in sales.

I really hope they release this song as a single. We as a fanbase are gonna bombard q104 and z100 if they do.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #439 on: January 12, 2009, 10:18:15 PM »

This I Love will be the song that carries the album. I was driving the other night and turned it up. And it hit me how great this song really is. WHo on the radio has a song like this out right now? No one. Its a modern day ballad. But Unique.

I firmly believe that if the band has their act together when/if they release this as a single down the road this will be the song that breaks the wall. By that I mean this band better have a video lined up with its release as well.

This song can be played on 3 of the countrys biggest and most influential radio stations here in NY.

Krock
Q104.3(havnt been able to play new gnr yet)
and the wildcard....

Z100

If this song hits on those last 2 stations then this album will sky rocket in sales.

I really hope they release this song as a single. We as a fanbase are gonna bombard q104 and z100 if they do.

I agree with you here... i can definitely see that.

I know a lot of people don't like this song, but it does seem to always get a reaction. I think Chinese Democracy is a much better album for having included it. To me, although a lot of the songs are very unique (if the world and sorry in particular), it's Better and This I Love that immediately stand out. These are memorable songs that it's hard to ignore even on one listen.

And while I think if This I Love is released as a single it will be too long from now to run with Annie's Twilight idea, i do think that this is the song that will benefit most from a quality video. It can be marketed well if done right.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: