Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:29:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This I Love - discussion/comments
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This I Love - discussion/comments  (Read 174359 times)
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #600 on: March 25, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »

50 Songs Every Man Should Be Listening To

March 13, 2009

Esquire magazine's annual guide to music shares their favorite new (and sort of new) songs they like. Simple as that. Heard 'em all?

24. "This I Love," Guns N' Roses (Chinese Democracy)
Because on this song, more than any other on Chinese Democracy, Axl is Axl. And that's all we've been waiting for the last fifteen years.

http://www.esquire.com/features/music/best-new-songs-0409

Yeah, I've been hoping the label will release it as a single. I think it's time to forget about a video/official single for "Better" and move on to one of the ballads. Hopefully, "This I Love" would be chosen over "Street Of Dreams".

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
Annie
« Reply #601 on: March 25, 2009, 06:37:38 PM »

March 13, 2009

Esquire magazine's annual guide to music shares their favorite new (and sort of new) songs they like. Simple as that. Heard 'em all?

Because on this song, more than any other on Chinese Democracy, Axl is Axl. And that's all we've been waiting for the last fifteen years.

That is so totally awesome! beer smoking ok peace
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #602 on: March 27, 2009, 12:28:41 PM »

My opinion varies every time I hear it. I cant decide if its a beautiful heartfelt song that moves me or a cheesy 'jump the shark ' moment that is everthing that exemplifies why GNR died (in the eyes of many)

Truthfully it's prob both.

I for one love it, despite it's obvious cheesiness. but Finck SUCKS though , my God how he ruined it......that out of tune butchering of a guitar, oh the pain hahah......other than that it;s a mesmerising ,  gorgeous song that's cheesy as hell but great Smiley
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #603 on: March 27, 2009, 01:38:29 PM »

My opinion varies every time I hear it. I cant decide if its a beautiful heartfelt song that moves me or a cheesy 'jump the shark ' moment that is everthing that exemplifies why GNR died (in the eyes of many)

I for one love it, despite it's obvious cheesiness. but Finck SUCKS though , my God how he ruined it......that out of tune butchering of a guitar, oh the pain hahah......other than that it;s a mesmerising ,  gorgeous song that's cheesy as hell but great Smiley

You explained exactly why I don't care for it. CHEESE!

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #604 on: March 27, 2009, 01:59:45 PM »

You explained exactly why I don't care for it. CHEESE!

I second that.  Some songs get better the more I listen to them.  This is one of the few that for me just gets worse and worse.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #605 on: March 27, 2009, 02:07:56 PM »

to arouse a storm of praise and criticism, isn't it quite rare for a ballad?

March 13, 2009

intriguing list. No rock band before GNR. Smiley
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #606 on: March 27, 2009, 02:35:10 PM »

for one love it, despite it's obvious cheesiness. but Finck SUCKS though , my God how he ruined it......that out of tune butchering of a guitar, oh the pain hahah......other than that it;s a mesmerising ,  gorgeous song that's cheesy as hell but great

For me, its the solo that saves the song.  Cliched lyrics with awesome vocals followed by the best solo on the album.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #607 on: March 27, 2009, 02:58:08 PM »

for one love it, despite it's obvious cheesiness. but Finck SUCKS though , my God how he ruined it......that out of tune butchering of a guitar, oh the pain hahah......other than that it;s a mesmerising ,  gorgeous song that's cheesy as hell but great

For me, its the solo that saves the song.  Cliched lyrics with awesome vocals followed by the best solo on the album.

word. there's the most exquisite balance in there.
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #608 on: March 28, 2009, 08:07:01 PM »

Wow, really? I think Ficks solo on TIL is one of the highlights of the album

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #609 on: March 28, 2009, 08:25:28 PM »

yup, absolutely  yes
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #610 on: March 28, 2009, 10:10:10 PM »

Not only that, but theres NO out of tune guitar there. This was really an ignorant statement.

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #611 on: March 28, 2009, 10:10:32 PM »

You think that because it is. There's nothing "out of tune" about the solo.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #612 on: March 28, 2009, 10:51:08 PM »

yup easily the guitar highlight of the album for me.  Cool
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #613 on: March 28, 2009, 11:33:41 PM »

very heartfelt... a totally more intimate side to Axl and a brutal and raw solo by robin, kind of reminds me of Achilles last Stand 4 minute mark solo from Zeppelin

Chinese Democracy!
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #614 on: March 29, 2009, 09:08:48 AM »

I like the solo on this song!  I think it saves the song in a lot of ways. Although I'm not a fan  of this song, it is starting to grow on me just a little bit.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #615 on: March 30, 2009, 06:24:20 AM »

I dont think it would make the greatest single.  SOD is more poppy and mainstream.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #616 on: March 30, 2009, 10:40:54 AM »

Singles generally follow a set structure with obvious exceptions (November Rain).  Rarely do singles lack a proper verse, bridge, chorus arraignment. 

Whereas This I Love does have a proper chorus, Street of Dreams is such an unstructured song that it wouldn't work for radio.  Radio singles require something that's easily and quicly discernible. 

That said, neither would really work as a single in my opinion.  Street of Dreams does not work for radio programing and This I Love is so out of left field I'm not sure it would catch on.  It hasn't been since the Lion King that a Broadway-styled song performed well on the radio charts.  And make no bones about it, this is a broadway show tune through and through. 

The other problem with the song is that doesn't have much of the bad-ass swagger that previous GNR ballads had.  November Rain, Don't Cry, Patience all had an attitude about themselves; a vibe that said that the authors could give a fuck if it's a slow song; we're still going to fuck you up.  I don't get that from This I Love.  While I applaud Axl's attempt to try something for new, for me, it misses it's mark as a GNR song.  The piano is too Hallmark "movie of the week," the lyrics yearn to be sung by the Phantom, and the arraignment contains little to no GNR attitude. 

For me, the final stand in terms of singles is There Was A Time.  Cut a radio edit and sell it like a November Rain/Estranged style song.  It's the only song on the album that for me embodies the spirit of what GNR once was.  There's a feeling on TWAT that makes me want to return to the place where the "grass is green and the girls are pretty."

But this is just one man's opinion.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #617 on: March 30, 2009, 11:25:36 AM »

I don't see it as a single either. Who's going to play it? Rock radio? A lot of these radio guys have it out for Axl anyway and this song would get laughed right off the air.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #618 on: March 30, 2009, 11:53:07 AM »

I think TIL will work for all the opposite reasons you are giving. Its not the traditional ballad but thats a good thing. This band needs to take chances. Why release another generic rock ballad when you have created a more modern, fresh, unique rock ballad?

They need to take chances. What do they have to lose?  Its a song that can not only be played on rock stations but pop stations as well. Such as Z100 here in NY. It has the potential to get the attention of many different listeners. The Blues does not.

Radio is dead now anyways. Krock here in NY folded because they werent generating any money. What does that tell you? And they were CD's biggest supporters in the area. So GNR is going to have a tough time here in NY in terms of getting the music out there.

TIL can be played on 2 of NY's biggest radio stations. q104.3(classic rock)..and Z100 (teen girl stuff)...if TIL is a success on either station than GNR will see a significant bump in sales.

If they dont release TIL then they have no balls.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Annie
« Reply #619 on: March 30, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »

Singles generally follow a set structure with obvious exceptions (November Rain).  Rarely do singles lack a proper verse, bridge, chorus arraignment. 

Whereas This I Love does have a proper chorus, Street of Dreams is such an unstructured song that it wouldn't work for radio.  Radio singles require something that's easily and quicly discernible. 

That said, neither would really work as a single in my opinion.  Street of Dreams does not work for radio programing and This I Love is so out of left field I'm not sure it would catch on.  It hasn't been since the Lion King that a Broadway-styled song performed well on the radio charts.  And make no bones about it, this is a broadway show tune through and through. 

The other problem with the song is that doesn't have much of the bad-ass swagger that previous GNR ballads had.  November Rain, Don't Cry, Patience all had an attitude about themselves; a vibe that said that the authors could give a fuck if it's a slow song; we're still going to fuck you up.  I don't get that from This I Love.  While I applaud Axl's attempt to try something for new, for me, it misses it's mark as a GNR song.  The piano is too Hallmark "movie of the week," the lyrics yearn to be sung by the Phantom, and the arraignment contains little to no GNR attitude. 

For me, the final stand in terms of singles is There Was A Time.  Cut a radio edit and sell it like a November Rain/Estranged style song.  It's the only song on the album that for me embodies the spirit of what GNR once was.  There's a feeling on TWAT that makes me want to return to the place where the "grass is green and the girls are pretty."

But this is just one man's opinion.

Cheers,

Andrew

Very interesting critique. TIL does remind me of Music of the Night and Defy Gravity which are 2 great Broadway songs. I adored LION KING. I still think TIL would be perfect for THE NEW MOON movie soundtrack, and it could snag Axl an Academy Award nomination and introduce GNR to a whole new fanbase. beer
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: