Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:07:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl again on mygnrforum: Dexter homework
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl again on mygnrforum: Dexter homework  (Read 97795 times)
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2008, 09:44:37 PM »

Q: With regard to ownership of the name, how will this affect Guns' induction into the RRHOF? The new band can't exactly go and accept the award. Would they have to requalify in 25 years' time for Chinese?

A: Never thought about that , with the RRHOF. The whole “mature enough” bit was cute. Not to offend anyone but personally I don’t have an interest and other than inducting Elton don’t quite get what it is exactly and who decides what. It seems to mean more to some than others and more so amongst fans. It’s nice to get recognition and have some form of acceptance but in regards to joining others the price is too high and just not worth it. It’s a ways away and seems a bit presumptuous to be contemplating being inducted now.

Q: do you think you have to follow some kind of music style cause of your musical past, or you feel free to experiment some kind of innovative stuff or melting few styles wich goes "against" the musical heritage of GNR?!?!

A: About following particular styles yes I do feel there are parameters with Guns as opposed to not being or in Guns. Chinese is imo an evolution not necessarily how each from the past would but how the music and intent could and did. Guns did not have specific lifelong criteria to follow and many of the influences on Appetite were abandoned by the others long before me. In fact Slash hated a good portion of those on Appetite and wasn’t all that into the involvement or association but knew it worked at the time and realized it was the cusp of a wave that was growing. It’s a trip for me to witness as so many of the people he performs with etc he hated then, them, their bands and their music where the others or I were the fans.

Q: When you first started out on the tour in 91, did you plan to take the name of the band?

A: I like touring with these guys a lot more than the old band. The beginning was fun but it started going bad our first gig opening for the Cult in Halifax between Slash and I. That’s when the ok I put up with all Axl’s and Izzy’s crap now I’m gonna be the man trip started with him runnin’ right out front on the ego ramp for the whole show. It was pretty funny.

Q: How did the new line-up respond when initially asked to join Guns N' Roses? Did they ever suggest using a different name?

A: No one ever talked about or suggested using another name. The guys are really respectful in regard to the old band and I’m not sure if they’ve said a paragraph apiece in all the years towards or about the old band whether I’m talking about whatever or not. But from being with me for so long they know a lot of it’s shit so they get bummed at the endless interviews and nonsense. Personally I’m so proud of them I wouldn’t know how to express it. I can’t see me handing something like this as they have with so much class and maturity especially being shit on publicly to such a degree. “Hey join my band, bring an umbrella!!”

Q: Did you consider going solo and not use the name?

A: If I were to leave Guns I could consider giving, selling, shelving or opening a GNR Burger chain with the name!! Ha!! j/k. I’m not so different than the alumni in that there’s generally something going on that makes things suck and when that reaches overflow I want out too but if you didn’t when it’s ugly I think that’d be less normal.

Q: What do you think about people saying "it is not GNR anymore. It is an Axl-Rose-Solo-joint"? And did you ever think about using another name for the band?

A: If I went solo which I haven’t I wouldn’t call it Guns.

Q: Axl, Why do you feel that the others (Slash, Duff) believe that they were entitled to the name since Guns N' Roses existed before they were in the band?

A: The name does come from mine and Traci’s as the original inspiration but was something I played with not Traci and Guns was Guns before Traci joined. It was Guns Before I knocked on Izzy’s window. Earlier I had gotten Tracii to use the name Guns (as he had mentioned a girl had called him Mr. Guns sometime) so he’d stop calling his band Persian Rose. So I guess we have the girl to thank.

The other’s having a sense of entitlement to the name isn’t completely off but has more to do with how Slash dealt with things and his particular strategy and I say strategy because that’s what it’s been. But since I managed to hold out that didn’t play out so well for him in regard to the name.

Q: Do you see any truth to the suggestion that Guns N'Roses has become no more than brand name, as oppose to once being a genuine band name?

A: It’s a band name more than a brand name. As Tommy said regarding our struggles to make this happen “We’re not lettin’ what took so much blood and heart get turned to shit and dust.” And I guess you could apply that to current former or whatever.

Q: What were slash's arguments for keeping G'n'R name?

A: Slash never had ANY arguments for keeping the name until long after and again I feel that had a lot to do with seedy biz types and him feeling he had to save face.

Q: My question would be: have you ever thought one day, with all the bashing you got from the media and from some fans, to actually change the name of the band (keep the current members but choose another name)? If so, what were your ideas of a new name?

A: Keeping the band name alive was very important. Not out of ego and I don’t know exactly why in the sense of putting into words but I think it has something to do with the global effect it has and how Guns surviving in some way is sometimes inspiring to others around the world and in that there’s a sense of obligation.

Q: Do you regret keeping the name?

A: I don’t regret keeping the name though I wish more were supportive or at least not as aggressively opposed.

The details are that my attorney shit when I made the move. He was very against it fearing long litigation but even then no one talked about brand names or individual interests in a brand name. I look back and have no idea why. Not my people, not his people, no one.
No one pressured me, everyone was afraid and no one including myself wanted to break up Guns or the relationship. And Bubbles and I talk all the time!

Q: Axl,
Can you detail any of the legal battles, if any, surrounding the name Guns N' Roses following the break up of the original band?

Cheers.

A: We can “chat” about the contract and the reasoning another time

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2008, 09:45:07 PM »

Q: I've always assumed that your main drive for wanting to own the name is that you felt more personally responsible for the overall direction of the music than the others, and that the name stood for that direction more than anything else. However, disentangling the name must've been a legal mess, with a lot of financial issues. I'm wondering whether this was something you did AS the old line-up disintegrated so as to maintain control over direction or whether that desire to protect the direction came first, and might have actually created extra tensions?

A: The battles were during the breakup. Our people and my individual legal basically forced me to go thru the motions with everything I had to make things work for over 2 years in the sense that if they felt I wasn’t making every effort 110% and with all the sincerity and all above board I wouldn’t have their support which I wanted, couldn’t afford to lose or risk losing. Which led to the trial period where Slash played the key bits of Fall to Pieces but once I showed some interest that was over.

Q: Here's my take - I could be wrong but,as far as I'm concerned - and what most ppl don't get - is that making Duff and Slash sign the name Guns N Roses over to you had very little to do with musical differences/ preferences. Anyone who reads Slash's book carefully can understand the kind of reckless lives they had been leading and that they were too fucked up and on the verge of an O.D. on daily basis to be entitled to make and kind of decision and there was no use in trying to fight against it and forcing them to clean up because you ended up being the bad guy real quick 'not allowing them to have a bit of fun'.
In other words, only drunk/drugged ppl can put up with drunk/drugged ppl and the way things were, they were going to ruin it for everbody and now that they are finally sober they feel they were ripped off even though many ppl warned them their actions would have serious consequences and they chose not to listen at the time.
Having said all that do you think they keep suing you over it time and again because as well as Steven they think you and the name GnR hold the keys to their happiness or is it just about $ ?

A: I get the part about reckless but it was more about strategy and underestimating how long I would stick with it.

As far as people knowing me, this is a statement that in light of others decisions that I chose to pursue as Guns N’ Roses and what some may feel is a different this or that may seem as if the arguments or disagreements are about the band or the style of music such as blues or influences on earlier Guns has some relevance but imo points more to deeper base elements I wanted to put forth for people in general.

Such as a more positive intent and instead of as self destructive more of healing. There’s all kinds of things to help you die or be more negative. I wanted to try and make as powerful a hard rock album as we could while incorporating beauty and an openness to other forms both traditional and more recent without going religious etc. I didn’t attempt to make a party record or dance record both elements consciously in Appetite. I wasn’t trying to purposefully appeal to the heartland or middle America in those ways (not that I was trying to avoid them or have an issue). But for example Sweet Child wasn’t in any way trying to write a “hit” mainstream song it was trying to write the best Guns N’ Roses Lynard Skynard influenced song we could as tribute and recognition in the tradition of Tuesdays Gone With the Wind or Simple Man etc and at a time when nothing could have seemed more unpopular.

One man forced me to work with others. One man forced me to work with others to survive. And I can’t say what would have happened on different terms. I say yes because it was agreed from day one. U have to realize we were on the street. It wasn’t the first band. Whoever thought of the name kept the name unless he gave it up or moved on. Everyone was always having a new version of whatever their band name was. I wouldn’t have thought of using LA Gunns or any of Slash’s band names. We all knew that we could break up the next week. You had to have that stuff somewhat sorted between each other going in. It was a deal that we made. The issue becomes the value or perceived value now and the fans attachment and or acceptance. Really weren’t things we consciously considered even during the breakup.

Q: Axl, what in your mind does Guns n' roses represent? do you feel that it is a vision?

A: I don’t exactly know what Guns N’ Roses is but I know it’s my job in the sense of an obligation and I’m good with that.

Q: Do you feel that if you hadn't have insisted on having full rights to the name would the band still be in it's original lineup today?

A: The name and rights have nothing to do with the breakup. That’s all a created fa?ade a decoy and a smoke screen. Now had what Slash said actually transpired then I’d say of course but in reality, No.

Q: Guns 'n Roses.. best name ever with a double meaning to me. What was #2 on the list when choosing the band's name?

A: Going into Guns there wasn’t a #2. At that time I was going to make it in a band that started as Guns N’ Roses and could evolve but that was the starting point and it was all the way or bust. I knew what I wanted when I knocked on Izzy’s window. I also knew I wanted Slash but we still had differences and Izzy wasn’t down with it.

Q: Were you in, any way, legally obligated to carry on with the name Guns N' Roses? To keep your (current, at the time) record concract etc.

A: I wasn’t legally obligated but we probably would have gotten dropped and I would have been driven into bankruptcy.

Q: What is the country who pronounces Guns n' roses in the funniest way ?

A: I think it varies and happy Christmas to u and everyone.

Q: Guns N' Roses--the name contains symbols of aggression/defense and selfless submission/tribute--does the name mean anything symbolically to you outside its literal, namesake derivation? Have the name's deeper synonyms, eg. the most dangerous band in the world, had any impact on your decision to keep it, or have you just retained it for its legendary status and ease of identification?

A: I don’t think about the dangerous bit or status or identification. I’ve always thought of the symbolism since thinking of the 2 words together. And in that I absolutely feel this is a Guns N’ Roses record.

Q: Do what people ( some of the fans, ex members of the band etc ) think about the ownership of the band name really matter? I think my question also is, will you please tell us why this is the most important/first question you are approaching? Is it because you think that this is what most riles the fans or this is the most pressing issue?

A:
It’s an issue that gets brought up a lot especially in the media at all levels and it gets really ugly. It’s ugly right now with dj’s across the country who feel their sticking up for something that they bought into unaware. So I wanted to start going at it a bit.

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2008, 09:45:19 PM »

Q: Axl, some critics have argued that Chinese Democracy would have sold better and had better reviews if you had released it as a solo project. What is your take on this?

Do you think that it is right to continue a band's name despite having little-to-no connection with previous incarnations of the band, both in the music written and with the musicians in the band?

A: Most critics have higher opinions of theirs than is merited. I haven’t read much from outside sources in the media regarding my world that know much of anything let alone what would be in my best interest other than looking at events in hindsight and playing armchair music mogul. Which most times means nothing and though could seem logical is usually just as far off base as anything else they’ve said.

The heart and commitment these guys play the material with is much more than the others were prepared to give pursuing their own interests for a very long time. The music changed after Slash and I parted so the direction was where I took Guns not where I had intended or tried to go previously. It had a lot to do with not finding or knowing a more blues based player that I found inspiring and I was really knocked down and beat up. Slash, Duff and Matt’s decisions had as much to do with kicking a guy when he’s down or abandoning ship at the time as anything else. Other things were going on with music as well, we were basically dead at Geffen. I liked other things as well so I wanted to explore, be legitimate and survive. I wasn’t doing what was written so often about chasing fads etc. Jesus, I wouldn’t have agreed for Zakk to come down if any of Slash’s or the media’s nonsense were real. And that could’ve worked on some level but like Guns it would’ve been up to those two and their relationship. They talk nice but it wasn’t pretty… but it was pretty awesome!!

Q: For further releases will you stick with the name Guns N' Roses?

If this is a Guns N' Roses album, what kind of music would be on an Axl Rose solo album?

A: No plans not to be Guns for the future.

Solo efforts… Much more experimental and instrumental.

Q: Since you own the name, does it bother you at all when you see or hear things like "Slash of Guns N' Roses" and that he's still well recognized as one of the faces of the band?

A: It doesn’t bother me unless it’s being done at my expense and or to keep him associated as in Guitar Hero. Him being Guitar Hero’s fine but not when Activison in using Jungle, having Yahoo use Sweet Child unauthorized, claims no involvement with Slash, his or anyone’s image or VR or anyone or anyone’s music in either camp in promotion or commercials etc. I wasn’t broadsided. I read about it as it moved along but Activision continually denied it right up to the release. That’s some low life chicanery on all their parts.

Q: How do/did you feel about Velvet Revolver playing GN'R songs live? Did you worry about them mucking up the songs or decreasing their value by playing them. Are you glad the former members still play those songs so regularly on stage?

I seen Slashes Snakepit live in July 95 and they started playing instrumental Paradise city for the first 2 minutes before Slash stopped it by jokingly saying something like” We better stop so we don’t get sued!”

A: Yes Slash was in Guns and on Jungle (and the whole I came to him for his riff is as much crap as him saying he brought Locomotive and Coma in as complete songs) and he has rights to perform it but not to be represented in this context in association with Guns. And since they weren’t granted the license it’ll take some sorting.

(I don’t have problems with whoever doing the songs but film or video gets into sync rights and I don’t have an interest in anyone new, old or whatever trying to sell themselves as GNR under another name that way.

It’s my understanding the lawyers were scammed like the everyone else so for them to continually try and find a way to reverse things is normal and would seem appropriate but again it NEVER Happened.)

Q: Does Geffen or Universal have any rights over the name, or is it soley yours?

A: Universal has Guns under contract but I own the name.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »

Amazing read.

/jarmo

That sums it up beautifully.

Hey, how did everyone else feel when it seemed that over a decade of "common knowledge" just flushed down the proverbial toilet? Anyone else's head spinning?

well, just b/c Axl said it doesn't mean it's 100% "the truth".  It's his versions of events.  Slash has his.  The truth is prob a mix of both of them... maybe not 50/50, but certainly some sort of mix.

having just read Slash's book, my favorite take away from it was him saying Axl has his version of events and they are just as viable as mine.  Or something like that.

Certainly over time both stories have taken twists and turns....

Either way, it's beyond amazing to hear Axl's side straight from the horses mouth.  Big thank you to him for getting his side out for the fans to digest.

Slash has already been proven a liar, and he didn't even need anyone else to do it.  He did it himself, by completely changing his story and contradicting his own previous versions of the same events.  He was also severely messed up on drugs and booze when a lot of these events took place.  So in my opinion his version of events has little to no validity, just based on his own contradictions and admittedly drinking a half gallon of vodka and doing speedballs every day

Axl's versions of the events have always been consistent, never been rebutted, and are from the only person in the band who was actually lucid and not messed up the vast majority of the time.  That makes his accounts much more valid to me

I'm with you pal  ok  Especially on the part about Slash being so f'ed up on drugs.  I kept thinking that while reading his book, wondering how much of this he was truly remembering vs. how much he thought had happened.  More than half the book is about how fucked up he was on drugs.  It was actually depressing and sad to me.  

But it's like that Extreme album - Extreme III - three sides to every story.  Yours, Mine and The Truth.   peace

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2008, 09:51:23 PM »

I think typing that all out for the fans to read must have been an amazing weight off Axl's chest. 

We have spent so many years assuming what he was going through/thinking/whatever-it's just so fantastic to actually read the words from the man himself.  I also think it's amazing that he went to all the major fanbases and shared.

I am very glad to have gotten to read all he has had to say over the past few days.
StrummerFan
Opening Act

« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2008, 09:57:07 PM »

That was indeed a great read (it took a while, but I read every word).  If you're reading this, Axl, I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that down (hopefully it was cathartic in some way) and still cannot believe you have taken the time over the last few days to interact with the fans.  Not too many famous musicians could say they've ever done the same.

At the same time, hopefully I'm not the only one who feels that it's high time to move beyond thinking about the past and now is the time to look towards the future.  Chinese Democracy has been playing on a loop in my car since it was released and it isn't going to be replaced anytime soon.  The music you made with oldGuns was great and it's gotten me through some rough times in life, but now that I've got a taste of the new music, I can't wait to hear more!

Thanks again for taking the time to post your thoughts and answers to our questions this weekend.  I hope you'll continue to do so when you have the time!

On a side note, it was bizzare to read that one of your favorite books is The Stand.  It's my favorite novel and I was constantly listening to UYI I and II when I first read it back in '91 or '92.  So, your music has been associated with that book in my mind for a long time (to this day, I can't listen to Breakdown and not think of The Stand).

And if Axl isn't reading this, it's cool - I just needed to get this off my chest!  Grin
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2008, 10:01:40 PM »

also, much thanks to the person who added the questions on here-

makes a bit more sense now! Smiley
axlrose_7
Headliner

I Rock

« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »

thank you xBrownstonex for that Q/A pairing.

rock on.

My words may disturb but at least there's a reaction
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2008, 10:08:14 PM »

I believe Axl BUT I also believe that Duff and Slash have changed some since then also.

I am not gonna make excuses or try to be an expert, but the drugs and alcohol had to have a huge effect over the way those two guys acted.

U add managers and hangers on gabbing in their ear.

I remember reading in Motley Crue's "The Dirt" and they were talking about how this person or that person would get in your ear and tell u how u were the star and u should be more famous, more rich etc etc and u would go home and your wife and friends are telling u the same thing.............

U add a huge addiction into that, and I can see how that could've happened.

Doesn't mean they haven't changed though.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Black Betty
Headliner

« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2008, 10:12:12 PM »

fuck, enough with the name "gnr" questions. Ask about the fucking record!!!!!!!
reed2009
Headliner

« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2008, 10:12:42 PM »

its great to hear his side of the story, axl has always been misunderstood and was always at the center of blame, after reading this it clears up alot and its awesome for axl to be this open ! hope big things are coming and hes back on the forum soon beer

scraped
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2008, 10:15:35 PM »

fuck, enough with the name "gnr" questions. Ask about the fucking record!!!!!!!
Uh, it was Axl himself who brought the topic up.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2008, 10:19:04 PM »

I thought the part about fall to pieces was very interesting

Yeah!  I remember a couple of interviews from 2002 where Axl stated that Slash would try to keep the material "down" for personal reasons, mainly because they would be so successful and Slash didn't want that.  Now we find out "Fall To Pieces" was from this time period... interesting that it was eventually released by VR to become possibly their most successful song.
Erin
Opening Act

« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2008, 10:19:51 PM »

Thank you for adding in the questions! That cleared up the one part I was confused about.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2008, 10:24:55 PM »

He must have posted this on mygnr because that bored is overly negative about this partiuclar issue, even some of the mods.   

Hopefully he changes some fools minds.. or at least makes them second guess their $la$h bias.

And hopefully he comes back here and talks about the current lineup of GnR more and the future!   beer
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2008, 10:29:34 PM »

Holy crap , was that interesting

That was very cool of him to do that
Raulinc
Opening Act

« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2008, 10:38:53 PM »

Very cool stuff.  I wish these forums could be easier to surf.  There are too many rooms, windows, subjects, etc.  I wish there could just be one official or unofficial page where the chatting took place with Axl Rose.

I love the album!  I wish I could see you on every show talking about Chinese Democracy!  Larry King, MTV with Kurt Loder, Jay Leno, David Letterman, etc.  Shit maybe even 60 Minutes or one of those tight shows.  I want all my friends to stop comparing the old lineup from the new lineup and just for the world to enojoy Chinese Democracy and future albums to come from Guns N' Roses.  I just want everyone to accept what it is and enjoy your talented work and to stop bringing pointless subjects.  I know you have the connections and love from a lot of people so hook us up with some apperances and take Britney off the charts (haha, seriously).  Bunch of bullshit out there.  It is time for you to rock the world again.  Best of luck!  Reply if you can and if not it's cool too Wink  

Raulinc (Mexico City/San Antonio Texas)
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2008, 10:51:10 PM »

I cant express my feelings with words.

All I can say is I really, really admire and love this guy.

Axl said everything we needed to know.

This is one of the biggest moments I have experienced as a GNR fan.

I'm with you Axl. I'll always be.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Chivi
Headliner

Chinese Democracy 'Cover Z'

« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2008, 10:52:40 PM »

I can't believe it ! The guy is not only a genius, but incredibly meticulous...

.....and has a memory like an elephant.  hihi

Aprieto los dientes, miro a los dementes ...y d?nde est?s vos??
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2008, 10:53:49 PM »

Good read...

Thanks for taking the time Axl.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: