Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 06:35:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227983 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  F1 - 2009 season
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: F1 - 2009 season  (Read 35286 times)
elmir
VIP

« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »

it would have to be something like that to make it interesting again....this had to have been the most boring season in years....only blip on the radar which got exciting for a while was Schumi's return.....but then it died again...

honestly, i can't wait for it to be over...

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2009, 03:31:32 PM »

This season was decided back in spring when FIA decided to allow the diffuser....

As expected.

Two "average" drivers fighting for the championship.

I hope Max and Bernie are happy.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2009, 12:51:48 PM »

Only Brawn, Williams and Toyota were clever enough to come up with their diffusers, Brawn even mentioned the idea in a FOTA meeting, while the others also asked the FIA beforehand if their ideas would be approved (which ofcourse is the case, cause it falls clever within regulations). The other teams were sleeping, even McLaren admitted that.

Either way, as you can see right now the diffusers were important but not important enough for the season GP outcomes, no way. If you just look at it it makes perfect sense. Start of the season: McLaren and Ferrari are running behind as a result of concentrating alot on 2008 because they where fighting for the championship. BMW, they just fucked up with the new car, focussing too much on KERS and not enough on aero and balance without KERS. Renault, once again as the past few years not strong starts. Williams, they start strong but fall behind during the season. Toyota, same thing looking at past years. Brawn, they focused on 2009 even when 2008 hadn't started yet, so them in the front is thanks to their airopackage, Mercedes in the back and innovative tricks (Front wing, spliiter and bodem plate). Red Bull has some innovative tricks too (suspensions) and also a good aero package. Also, they have Newey..

So all in all the diffuser propaganda as Renault and Ferrari have mostly spread it (ironic, those teams talking about 'unfairness', Ferrari with their double standard FIA veto right and Flavio 'Thank you' Briatore) has not had a big impact on the F1 season of 2009, which in terms of pace will be remembered as the most tightest field ever in F1 in terms of laptimes between the polesitter and last man on the grid. Eventhough last year was more exciting cause there were 3 titlerunners changing positions every race, this season has been exciting too if you compare it with other seasons in the past 10 years.

It's funny that you call Button, Barrichello and Vettel 'average' drivers, cause to be honest Kubica is being overrun by Heidfeld this year just as in 2007 and Massa, he's good in training pole and starting and finishing from pole but as soon as something else is in the way (like not starting pole) he won't make it. Cause he's not a racer like a Hamilton or Alonso, not to mention the fact that he was beaten by all his teammates during Sauber. So I guess that makes the 2008 championship fight also fought out by 'average' drivers with the exception of Hamilton.  Wink
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2009, 03:10:46 PM »

I didn't call Vettel average at all. I said two. You listed three drivers....

Obviously whoever wins the title deserves it because he scored the most points. But I still don't think those two are the top drivers in F1.

The whole KERS debacle obviously took time and money to get right.

If FIA had decided not to allow that diffuser in the first place, KERS would've been way more popular. The diffusers made KERS kinda redundant.

Now those without KERS were running cars with far more downforce thanks to their diffuser designs and thus winning races.

In order to have proper benefit of KERS, the KERS cars had to be redesigned with new aeropackages and then the additional KERS power made a difference. But too late.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2009, 03:26:07 PM »

Button and Rubens are no Hamilton or Alonso, but they're not average.. I'd say Fisi and Trulli are average. KERS stands seperatly from diffusers or downforce,  it has nothing to do with aerodynamics and everything with weight and weight distribution, along with reliability prolems. All the cars have new diffusers since months, yet still the KERS cars are not dominating. McLaren has made big aero improvents and that's why they're good now (they have nice vids on Youtube explaining where they pulled the 2 seconds behind on pace from since the start of the season up until Hungary - 1st victory, interesting to check out) Those were the problems with KERS and that's why the FIA also decided to increase the minimum amount of weight for next year. KERS was just a fluke on it's own. The unreliability was big cause of a lack of development time and because of the weight disadventage the only good thing about KERS is being able to have a good start and hold someone off (like Kimi in Spa, where if it wasn't for KERS Fisi would've won the race). Not to mention the huge costs which goes directly against the cost reducing plans of F1.

Only good news is that for next year no one will drive with KERS anymore (FOTA agreement), not even Williams with their mechanical KERS it's just been anounced.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2009, 03:40:42 PM »

I know what KERS is.

Add "extra" weight to a car and you have less options on where to put ballast to balance the car. Suddenly you don't have a lot to play with compared to non-KERS cars. Another issue....

The diffuser that the FIA allowed, gives those cars a better level of downforce. Something Ferrari for example lacks.

The diffuser advantage was greater than the KERS advantage. That's the whole point.

Without downforce, you can have KERS and still not be able to go fast in corners!

The KERS cars are not dominating because Ferrari stopped developing their excuse for a car early on. It's very difficult to catch up during a season. Because the ones you're trying to catch aren't just standing still in their development.

If McLaren and Ferrari had been wining races early in the season, this discussion would sound different... But the FIA made sure that wasn't gonna happen.

Kimi winning in Spa was due to him driving great and using the car (including KERS) to its limits.

No average driver wins at Spa four times out of five. Especially with a car that's definitely not in the top 6...

/jarmo
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:43:21 PM by jarmo » Logged

elmir
VIP

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »

Button and Rubens are very average...nothing about them is exciting whatsoever...granted, button is super smooth in his technique, and Rubens is solid...but they're no different from trulli or fisi...middle of the pack drivers who can be counted on when points are needed, but that's about it...brawn will keep button next year cause of his age, as he can still be moulded, but Rubens is out...that much is clear.

The diffuser was fair game...those guys were just smarter than the others...about kers...Williams got screwed there, as they bought the company in it's entirety who makes those things...now they have to find use of 40 odd extra staff members...they should have let that go for at least one more year before deciding to ban it.

What a pointless excercise, all aimed at being green and saving cash, now it turned out to be nothing but a super expensive experiment.

I'm glad max is going...hopefully todt is a little more "user friendly" when it comes to the basics.

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2009, 09:35:10 AM »

Looks like Barrichello isn't retiring... He might go to Williams!

/jarmo

elmir
VIP

« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »

Williams is not doing too good then in the driver's market...they'd be better off with Heidfeld...

How the mighty have fallen...I remember the '97 Williams that Villeneuve drove...first race of the season...Australia...qualified 1.7 seconds ahead of the second placed guy....on a full tank of gas...that was a fucking epic car...

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2009, 11:48:28 AM »

As expected, Alonso to Ferrari.

Ferrari gets a new Spanish sponsor, and then a Spanish driver. What a coincidence!

Roll Eyes

/jarmo

elmir
VIP

« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »

so...25 mil for the first year...plus 40 mil to get rid of the Kimster...shijeeet....Alonso is costing them more than Schumi did in his prime...

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2009, 01:19:06 PM »

As expected, Alonso to Ferrari.

Ferrari gets a new Spanish sponsor, and then a Spanish driver. What a coincidence!

Roll Eyes

/jarmo

They say Alonso was signed as early as July 2008. Anyway, next year is looking interesting for sure:

Alonso and Massa for Ferrari.
Hamilton and Raikkonen for McLaren.

Fuck 'Em All.
Burton
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2009, 05:02:52 AM »

Kimi fits better at Mclaren than he ever did at Ferrari. Nice golden handshake money for R?ikkonen.
elmir
VIP

« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2009, 06:25:20 AM »

a kimi interview from Suzuka this week:

KIMI TOOK HIS SACKING EASY

Turun Sanomat got a rare special interview with Kimi R?ikk?nen in Suzuka.

How do you feel now?

? Allright - I think that even better now than during the last Thursdays in the races. At least I don't have to speculate with anyone anymore about my driving for Ferrari.

Did you feel like you would be hanging from a rope the last weeks?

? I think it went like that according to the press. But whatever happened in the final games left me with a feeling that I did pretty good in this whole thing. I have nothing to complain about.

When did you find out that Fernando Alonso would take your place next season?

? Not a very long time ago. I could have drove the next year if I would have insisted on it. But it makes no sense to do that if for some reason someone else wants differently.

? It made no sense to stay here and fight back against anyone. I got a compensation for it and they got what they wanted. Both parties got what they wanted, Kimi said.

Do you feel pressure to finish your F1-career here?

? None whatsoever. I can now make a deal with anyone I want if I want to do so. If I wouldn't be driving in F1 I wouldn't have made that deal with Ferrari either.

Your main goal is to get to a winning team in the future also?

? Exactly. I will not make a deal unless I get into a car that I can win with and drive for the championship. I won't go driving in to hobby-teams. It would do me no use. There aren't many options who can offer me a car I want.

Is it McLaren then?

? There aren't many teams where there even would be vacant seats. McLaren is one option. I was there for 5 years and know most of the people. Let's see what happens. It depends on many things.

? I have no rush but some teams will want my answer at some point.

Do you feel empty after all this public bashing?

? My feelings haven't really changed at all. I'm sure that after this the reporters will start asking me about my next contract.

What about your 3 years in Ferrari?

? The WDC-year went well and I got victories. Last season started well but then there were some races that I should have won but didn't. Then all of a sudden they just changed parts in the car and it wasn't a good thing. It took a long time before I got back to real business. But it was already too late for me.

Was Ferrari's car even once like you would have wanted it to be?

? It's been good now too. It's nice to drive and it works like I want it to work. But we have just been too slow, Kimi laughs.

What is R?ikk?nen's dream car - oversteering meaning precise in the front?

? An oversteering car is never fast. Same with understeering car. You never get the car up to 110.

In McLaren the front always took the corners really sharply - just like R?ikk?nen wants?

? It is a different car than Ferrari. Mostly it was a good car for me but the tyres were different when I drove there. Tyres have changed the thing it a lot.

How would you feel to be Hamilton's team mate?

? It would not be up to that for sure. But there are many things that I have to look into first.

What kind of a reinforcement is Alonso to Ferrari?

? Let's see what he hustles there.

What kind of relations will you have with Ferrari?

? Good. I don't have anything to do with this matter. How I have drove or what I have done here had nothing to do with it. This decision wasn't in any way depending on that. It's easy to know what decided it. You get everything with money.

? I'm not sad. I don't cry. This possibility was always existing. It isn't the first time when someone's contract is terminated and it isn't the end of the world.

How many years do you still want to continue in F1?

? It depends on many things. I don't have any plans beforehand. Let's see what happens, Kimi says.

Turun Sanomat, Suzuka
Heikki Kulta
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:26:58 AM by elmir » Logged

IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2009, 01:25:05 PM »

Exit Toyota.. and today also an emergency meeting at Renault, likely they're gonna quit aswell. But Renault is still considering management buy-out, team sell but with continueing as engine supplier.

Right now it's like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Formula_One_season

elmir
VIP

« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2009, 01:27:53 PM »

manufacturers should be engine suppliers only in any case...that's how it used to be in the good old days of F1....Ferrari are the only team who have to actually sell cars in order to race...not race in order to sell cars...it makes more sense for them to only do engines...

IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2009, 02:13:39 PM »

Yeah.. 99% of the manufacters don't have a strong racing heart, they'll pull out whenever it doesn't suit their 'strategy'. Private teams have the sole function of competing in F1, it's what they were created for.

I don't mind the big names dissappearing at all, aslong as there are many cars on the field, hopefully we'll still have 26 cars on the grid next year
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »

Isn't Mercedes increasing their interest in Brawn?

/jarmo

IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2009, 03:34:09 PM »

Isn't Mercedes increasing their interest in Brawn?

/jarmo

Within 3 years Brawn will have turned into Mercedes.. but for now Mercedes has a big stake in Brawn. But Brawn also has found a bit titlesponsor (not Virgin, they have 20% of Manor Grand Prix).

Behind the scenes McLaren is seeing if they can buy over the BMW F1 engine department (which is seperate from the team itself). That way they have an enginge and facilities and can do without Mercedes.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:38:42 PM by IzzyDutch » Logged
elmir
VIP

« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2009, 06:13:16 AM »

Renault is staying...for now... Smiley

translated
Interviewed by L'Equipe today, Jean-Francois Caubet confirms the presence of Renault in F1 for next season. He also announced the objectives of Renault for the future. In 2010, the objective will be 3rd place in the world championship. The CEO of Renault F1 Team also speaks of the future of Romain Grosjean and its subsidiary Renault Driver Development (RDD).

Jean-Francois Caubet announcement: Renault will be there in 2010. "We hired our driver, the budget is passed, it has registered for the championship in 2010. The 2010 season, is starting. Carlos Ghosn asks us to return to a good standard and, must restabilize Enstone and Viry.

"I think aiming for 3rd is a reasonable goal," he announces on the objectives for 2010. Unlike previous years with Flavio Briatore, the objective is not the title for Renault.

The team principle also comes on the recruitment of Robert Kubica. "This is Bernard (Rey) who signs and who gave us a delegation. With Robert, it was simple. We explained to him our goals, our organization and he was interested immediately. He knew there were some risks, but what are the teams who have no risk? . The profile of Robert Kubica was "Someone who can score".

Regarding the second driver for Renault in 2010, the choice seems difficult. Romain Grosjean did not convinced his team. "We're a little undecided, to be honest. The decision is difficult. We have invested financially in Romain, for three years. "

Jean-Francois Caubet also spoke of reducing costs, at Enstone. "We reduced our staff by 70 people in Enstone, in January and February 2009. It is down below the limit of 2010 goals by FOTA. This time, it was said to Bob (Bell): "Listen, if you want results, we give you the top people to fill the gap. So we will rehire some aero engineeers to to raise the bar.

The team principle of Renault F1 Team has the reason for the poor 2009 season: "Everybody made a mistake. We put such pressure on to lower costs that went too far. What happened is we have reduced staff on a voluntary basis. And there were many more volunteers than expected. So, we lost 70 people on a staff of 450. Then we plugged the holes with young ... And this is where we say that the experience is still something special. "

EDIT: FOUND ON A DIFFERENT LINK

Renault should not disengage from the discipline. But for this, the CEO, Carlos Ghosn, wants Better Results in 2010.

Renault has confirmed the arrival of Robert Kubica as number one driver for the team for next year.
In addition, we have signed several long-term partnerships. Should remain with Renault in Formula 2010.

But if the results are not met ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: