Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:06:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228063 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  which parts of chinese democracy have made you cry?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: which parts of chinese democracy have made you cry?  (Read 15479 times)
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2009, 08:43:02 AM »

Emo?

You gotta be trying to make a funny joke, but obviously failing....

/jarmo

I just can't listen to TIL.  Way too Broadway/emo for me.  I know it is not as emo as Fall Out Boy but it is as close as Axl has ever come to being a total pussy.

Why are you so harsh all the time?  Jaded?

This I Love is far from emo. I do think you are insane for even thinking that.

How do you compare emo the Broardway?

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2009, 09:07:12 AM »

Emo?

/jarmo

I just can't listen to TIL.  Way too Broadway/emo for me.  I know it is not as emo as Fall Out Boy but it is as close as Axl has ever come to being a total pussy.

peace

This I Love reminds me of the Vampire Rock Opera from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"... kinda Broadway in a way.

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2009, 09:14:16 AM »

It's not bubblegum pop punk like emo but I get some of the same feel sorry for me stuff from it that emo has in it.

Would you say November Rain is emo?

Don't Cry?

How about something manly like Metallica. Nothing Else Matters, emo?

I'm not looking for a fight but you seem to get pissy with everyone.

Only the "special" people.

I am not trolling or seeking attention, just sharing my opinion.  Isn't that what this board is for?

Oh please.

Read your first post in this thread.

If you're not looking for attention, then what was that?

In addition, I don't know how singing about true feelings is considered "close to being a total pussy."

If anything, that takes more balls!

Putting something personal out there for the world to judge requires a lot more balls than to just pretend and write songs about nothing personal.

In contrast, hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet doesn't require balls at all...

/jarmo

OK, perhaps calling it emo was a bit harsh but the song does nothing for me.  I think it is by far the worst song Axl has ever written.  NR, DC and other GnR ballads had a different feel to them.  They still rocked in their own way. 

Thanks, I think you're special too!!

What's wrong with the first post?  I was answering the question at hand.  Just because I am a fan of the band doesn't mean I have to like every song they put out.

I have no problem with Axl singing about his true, albeit 15 years old, feelings.  I guess that is probably my biggest problem with the song.  He's spilling his heart out about a relationship that ender a decade and half ago.  That would be like me still being broken hearted about my high school love.  I just don't get it.  It's time to move on.

I am not hiding behind anything.  If you were here and we were having the same conversation I would tell you the exact same thing.  Something tells me you wouldn't have the same cocky attitude face to face.

1.  okay, you don't like the song.  but why waste your time posting about it over and over again in a GNR FAN FORUM where people want to support the band?  what's the point?

2.  how do you know the song is about stephanie seymour?  i thought that at first too, because in old interviews axl said he was making the new music to tell his side of the story in that releationship, especially for dylan.  since then jarmo has said that we don't officially know who these love songs are about, so what's the point in beating that dead horse again?  even axl/dexter said he wouldn't say who the songs were really about.

3.  you ARE hiding behind your computer screen.  you wouldn't dare insult these songs to axl's face and you know it.
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2009, 09:16:24 AM »

Emo?

/jarmo

peace

This I Love reminds me of the Vampire Rock Opera from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"... kinda Broadway in a way.

No argument there. The song is very theatrical. But I'm just wondering how one would make a comparison like emo and broardway.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2009, 09:42:28 AM »

Emo?

/jarmo

peace

No argument there. The song is very theatrical. But I'm just wondering how one would make a comparison like emo and broardway.

peace

I totally get you.

This is my take...

Every song is emo. "Emo" just means emotional... any true artist pours their emotions into their art. Everyone from Johnny Cash to John Lennon is emo.

It's really stupid to categorize emo now because it's the "in thing" to do...

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2009, 10:23:26 AM »

It's not bubblegum pop punk like emo but I get some of the same feel sorry for me stuff from it that emo has in it.

Would you say November Rain is emo?

Don't Cry?

How about something manly like Metallica. Nothing Else Matters, emo?

I'm not looking for a fight but you seem to get pissy with everyone.

Only the "special" people.

I am not trolling or seeking attention, just sharing my opinion.  Isn't that what this board is for?

Oh please.

Read your first post in this thread.

If you're not looking for attention, then what was that?

In addition, I don't know how singing about true feelings is considered "close to being a total pussy."

If anything, that takes more balls!

Putting something personal out there for the world to judge requires a lot more balls than to just pretend and write songs about nothing personal.

In contrast, hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet doesn't require balls at all...

/jarmo

OK, perhaps calling it emo was a bit harsh but the song does nothing for me.  I think it is by far the worst song Axl has ever written.  NR, DC and other GnR ballads had a different feel to them.  They still rocked in their own way. 

Thanks, I think you're special too!!

What's wrong with the first post?  I was answering the question at hand.  Just because I am a fan of the band doesn't mean I have to like every song they put out.

I have no problem with Axl singing about his true, albeit 15 years old, feelings.  I guess that is probably my biggest problem with the song.  He's spilling his heart out about a relationship that ender a decade and half ago.  That would be like me still being broken hearted about my high school love.  I just don't get it.  It's time to move on.

I am not hiding behind anything.  If you were here and we were having the same conversation I would tell you the exact same thing.  Something tells me you wouldn't have the same cocky attitude face to face.

1.  okay, you don't like the song.  but why waste your time posting about it over and over again in a GNR FAN FORUM where people want to support the band?  what's the point?

2.  how do you know the song is about stephanie seymour?  i thought that at first too, because in old interviews axl said he was making the new music to tell his side of the story in that releationship, especially for dylan.  since then jarmo has said that we don't officially know who these love songs are about, so what's the point in beating that dead horse again?  even axl/dexter said he wouldn't say who the songs were really about.

3.  you ARE hiding behind your computer screen.  you wouldn't dare insult these songs to axl's face and you know it.

1.  I am responding to comments about my comments.  I do support the band, just not blindly.

2.  From what we know the song is about Seymour or Everly.  Unless there has been some woman in recent years unknown to us.  But I think the song was written some time ago, correct?  Either way if it is about those 2 then he has been hung up on a woman for 15-20 years.  Move on.

3.  Why wouldn't I be honest with him if he asked?  Would I go up to him and ambush him and say TIL sucks?  No, but if it came up in a natural flow of conversation then I'd be honest.  I was talking more in the context of a conversation btween Jarmo and I but why pull any punches?
italysfinest1985
Rocker

Riding on the night train...

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2009, 10:30:36 AM »

Emo?

/jarmo

peace

peace

I totally get you.

This is my take...

Every song is emo. "Emo" just means emotional... any true artist pours their emotions into their art. Everyone from Johnny Cash to John Lennon is emo.

There is no doubt the song is emotionally charged.

But does that categorize it into the music genre of "emo"?

No. Was John Waite's "Missing You" dubbed as "emo" in the 1980s? How about "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith? Does Good Charlotte release piano ballads including minutes of guitar solos?

"Emo" is a genre of music that originated from hardcore punk and later adopted pop punk influences when it became mainstream in the United States. "This I Love" has no relevance here.

Just my two cents.

Guns N Roses Custom Reunion Trailer (Axl & Slash)
https://youtu.be/7NdNrNslYkU
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2009, 10:34:32 AM »

That's your opinion.

The way you presented it (in the wrong thread too) was what caught my attention.

What's wrong with the first post?  I was answering the question at hand.

I saw a desperate attempt to score some "humor points".

Just because I am a fan of the band doesn't mean I have to like every song they put out.

No, you don't.

But as I said, there's a place for everything. Wrong time, wrong thread.

Did you know November Rain wasn't written in 1991 when it was released?

Same with Don't Cry.

I got a newsflash for you, songs aren't always meant to be newscasts of what's going on right now....

Kid Rock had a hit singing about 1989.... Almost twenty years ago! Does that bother you? Do you hate the song based on that?

Besides, it's quite common for artists to write songs that don't get used right away.

Something tells me you wouldn't have the same cocky attitude face to face.

Why is that?

If everything about feelings is emo, then a majority of music is "emo".

I guess that's the mother of all genres then!  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
italysfinest1985
Rocker

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2009, 10:40:59 AM »

That's your opinion.

The way you presented it (in the wrong thread too) was what caught my attention.

What's wrong with the first post?  I was answering the question at hand.

I saw a desperate attempt to score some "humor points".

Just because I am a fan of the band doesn't mean I have to like every song they put out.

No, you don't.

But as I said, there's a place for everything. Wrong time, wrong thread.

Did you know November Rain wasn't written in 1991 when it was released?

Same with Don't Cry.

I got a newsflash for you, songs aren't always meant to be newscasts of what's going on right now....

Kid Rock had a hit singing about 1989.... Almost twenty years ago! Does that bother you? Do you hate the song based on that?

Besides, it's quite common for artists to write songs that don't get used right away.

Why is that?

If everything about feelings is emo, then a majority of music is "emo".

I guess that's the mother of all genres then!  hihi

/jarmo

Jarmo is right on the button.

A lot of men ("tough guys") aren't comfortable with trying to identify with slow-paced ballad songs pertaining to heartbreak and love. Why that is, I'll never know, nor do I mind their opinions.

How could someone honestly characterize a rock love ballad into a genre filled with depressed teenagers singing in a contrived voice purposely being used to make themselves sound 14 years old? Just because this song, like many rock songs, display genuine human emotion that doesn't identically match the "Night Train" or "Paradise City" formula, people seem to be scrambling for a way to negatively "categorize" the song.

It's a good thing the great 19th century poets and the musicians of the last century didn't have this mindset. Imagine all the legendary love songs and beautiful literature our world would have missed out on?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:45:06 AM by italysfinest1985 » Logged

slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »

Here's the deal I don't understand.
Those who trash this album do so for two things, primarily.

First, they say it's not the old GNR! It doesn't sound like Appetite! It doesn't have Slash! Why can't they go back to the old days? It's all Axl's fault, whaaa, whaaa, whaaa!

Second, they say that the album's music is dated and doesn't sound modern, and it doesn't have a consistent sound. It's all Axl's fault, whaaa, whaaa, whaaa!

Let me just say, the first, WTF would Axl and the new band try to go into the past? Axl singing about heroin and sleeping with strippers today would have about the same amount of impact as Bon Jovi singing about how he's hanging on by a tread because they shut a steel mill down (the same crap he still puts out). That type of song may have made him popular, but it's no longer relevant to who he is, there is no true feelings in it. I prefer how GNR has moved forward.

Second, the album sounds like GNR. It has modern production techniques, and a lot of different types of songs, but in the end it sounds like GNR. GNR hasn't been around for a while, so maybe it does sound dated. Is that a bad thing? Also, how dated can it be with the modern sounds that have been integrated.

Ah, they're all full of it.

Chinese Democracy rules. The part that made me tear up was the point when I had listened to the entire album and I knew that this was the real deal ... this wasn't some crappy thing cobbled together, this was a true piece of art. That made me go a little ... well ... "emo."

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2009, 10:59:43 AM »

OK, I retract the emo comments.  I just detect some feel sorry for my broken heart in the song.  We can agree to disagree.  Perhaps, if my life in general or love life was shit right now I would appreciate it more, but at this time I can't relate.

I know music is not CNN and is not broadcasting current events.  At least Kid Rock is remembering something fondly.

Sure, all music has emotion.  I prefer anger or joy over disappointment and loss.  Music without emotion would be....techno.
italysfinest1985
Rocker

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2009, 11:09:05 AM »

OK, I retract the emo comments.  I just detect some feel sorry for my broken heart in the song.  We can agree to disagree.  Perhaps, if my life in general or love life was shit right now I would appreciate it more, but at this time I can't relate.

I know music is not CNN and is not broadcasting current events.  At least Kid Rock is remembering something fondly.

Sure, all music has emotion.  I prefer anger or joy over disappointment and loss.  Music without emotion would be....techno.

I knew you'd see it my way. You'll thank me tommorrow. ok

Axlspants
Rocker

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »

Parts of Street of Dreams get me going, I've always loved the lyrics to that song, I think they're some of the best on the album. As for TIL I really like it, the guitar solo is amazing and although I agree that the lyrics are a little bit depressing, it is a good song. 
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2009, 11:43:33 AM »

hey axlspants so tell us in what parts you cried?  Grin
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2009, 01:51:49 PM »

/jarmo

dam right Jarmo if u cant do that then if your a musicion then just call it quits now before you fuck yourself over

but Street of Dreams, This I Love, and some parts of Better got to me

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Annie
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2009, 09:57:33 PM »

Sorry to hear about your loss. Sad

/jarmo
Me too. That was a very touching story. Thankyou for sharing.
Classic Case
Rocker

I know that I'm a classic case

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2009, 10:19:40 PM »

TIL made me cry.  crying
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2009, 10:44:10 PM »

You know, some people just tell it like it is.
Jarrod
Opening Act

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2009, 02:45:28 AM »

This I Love had me shedding a tear or two, or three or four, or maybe even more. Why? Well, when I was a teenager I fell in love with this girl. Now, back then I wasnt popular with the girls. I had long black hair and was extremely shy... And this girl came into my life and showed interest in me. We ended up holding each other and kissing each other during the nights and holding hands during the day (in secret because our parents were friends and she would often spend the night at our place and we were afraid she wouldnt be allowed to do this if our parents knew that we had feelings for each other). Anyway, she was only here visiting for five weeks over the Australian Christmas holidays and she eventually had to go home with her parents. Man, I cried like Id never cried before when she left, and even though we wrote to each other, we never ended up getting back together even though we tried to save money to travel and see each other. We ended up losing touch and she fell pregnant and married someone else...

Well, after such a long-ish story, the reason why TIL effects me so much is because its exactly how I felt back in the weeks after she left, and how I felt from time to time since.

As for GnR and emo... I think some of GnR's tunes could be seen as emo, considering that emo is simply songs that bring those deep emotions out in people. Estranged is definately emo and so Dead Horse. Not a bad thing though. However TIL is definately NOT emo, its more Broadway IMHO.
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2009, 04:46:19 AM »

Cant say I understand all the people that often say that these songs make them cry....Id suggest stopping drinking and hardening up a little Smiley
I have certain songs by Leonard Cohen and so on that can make me sad or even weepy as they remind me of someone I love deeply and lost in death....but crying purely from the emotion of the song itself, then no.

Im in 2 minds about TIL, i do find it hits me emotionally and i can really relate to the song . Theres been a few nights when ive been up at 4am tinkering on piano working on music by my late brother and in an emotionally contemplative/thoughtful/sad state and a songs like SOD, TIL,Prostitute have really spoken to me.

Ive been a little critical of CD at times ( probably as a bit of a frustrated reaction to some of the bordering on disturbed fanboys)...but despite my few criticisms of the album its a truly excellent CD, and deeply heartfelt, which I find admirable and brave......Axl is definately up there with the top tier of artists.

I do however miss a little bit of the old Axl swagger and sense of fun.....the emotionally drained, sad broken aspect of some of the Illusions and to a greater extent CD can be a bit tiresome.
Im hoping that an album of Silkworms style songs comes out as itd be an awesome driving CD (albeit silkworms isnt quite there yet), but the idea is great.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: