Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:11:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better" starting to gain MAJOR steam.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better" starting to gain MAJOR steam.  (Read 64847 times)
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »

They do this "something" to many other releases that aren't exclusives to that chain. My point has been all along that, I personally as a GN'R fan, was expecting more from them.

Shouldnt you, as a GNR fan, expect more from GnR then?  Or are Best Buy employees supposed to do interviews with rock mags and tv shows?  Is Best Buy supposed to tour to support and promote CD?  Im not saying that Best Buy couldnt have done more, but I dont feel that its entirely their responsibility. They gave GNR an outlet. They took economic pressure off the label. 
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2009, 10:37:41 PM »

Shouldnt you, as a GNR fan, expect more from GnR then?  Or are Best Buy employees supposed to do interviews with rock mags and tv shows?  Is Best Buy supposed to tour to support and promote CD?  Im not saying that Best Buy couldnt have done more, but I dont feel that its entirely their responsibility. They gave GNR an outlet. They took economic pressure off the label.

crow, its the same as usual. there are no plans in gnr. the past 9 yrs back that up. the release of the album cant even break that shocking and head scratching reality.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2009, 10:46:10 PM »

Shouldnt you, as a GNR fan, expect more from GnR then?

Sure. If I couldn't read and understand that things didn't go as planned.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2009, 10:53:26 PM »

/jarmo
Like I said before, saying things didnt go as planned is stating the obvious. I didnt need to read Axls comment to know things "didnt go as planned."  Still, no one is saying whats going on now.
Its like, "Hey Axl, why no promo?"
 "Well, things didnt go as planned" 
"Umm, I see that, thats why Im asking,"Why no promo?"
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2009, 11:04:58 PM »

/jarmo
Like I said before, saying things didnt go as planned is stating the obvious. I didnt need to read Axls comment to know things "didnt go as planned."  Still, no one is saying whats going on now.
Haven't we played this game before?  Like for the last 9 years?  Did people not come on here and costantly whine and complain about not having the album, not getting updates?  Now people HAVE the album, yet they return to whine and complain about why we're not getting promo?  Is this a never ending cycle?  Stop worrying about things you can't control.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2009, 11:10:09 PM »

/jarmo
Haven't we played this game before?  Like for the last 9 years?  Did people not come on here and costantly whine and complain about not having the album, not getting updates?  Now people HAVE the album, yet they return to whine and complain about why we're not getting promo?  Is this a never ending cycle?  Stop worrying about things you can't control.

pretty simple really.   those who thought releasing the album was going to make Axl Rose do things in any way but his own were setting themselves up for disappointment.   

Axl doesn't work for any of us.   He can do whatever the fuck he chooses to do.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2009, 11:13:58 PM »

so just because original plans don't go through means you can say fuck it and not do anything?

When has it ever been the responsibility for an Electronics Store to promote an album and not the band.

This is the only problem I have with this forum

I mean, why can't anyone just admit that the release ball got dropped by not only Best Buy but by Axl and the label.

It doesn't make u any less of a fan i promise.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2009, 11:15:48 PM »

I remember a time when a band only had to put out a good album and a good stage show and that would be enough for the fans.  GNR are has done both.  Why can't everyone just be happy with that?  

At what point in time did being a talented musician mean you had to be equally skilled in publicity and marketing?

I think everyone is overestimating the effect of a video in today's world.  Great videos do not translate into album sales.  Perfect example:  Weezer.

Last year, Weezer's Pork & Beans video was the most popular music video on youtube with 16 million hits.  But the album only sold 300,000 copies.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2009, 11:22:48 PM »

so just because original plans don't go through means you can say fuck it and not do anything?

Where do you get this "not do anything"?

Axl himself said things were planned for the future:  There will be proper interviews and some are already scheduled for much later intentionally. God idea, bad?we?ll see. I?m happy the record?s out the rest? one nightmare at a time.

He had reason(s) not to do the promotional things last year. We don't know the specifics and I suspect that if we did, some of you would still be pointing fingers at him.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2009, 11:23:39 PM »

I remember a time when a band only had to put out a good album and a good stage show and that would be enough for the fans.  GNR are has done both.  Why can't everyone just be happy with that?  

At what point in time did being a talented musician mean you had to be equally skilled in publicity and marketing?

I think everyone is overestimating the effect of a video in today's world.  Great videos do not translate into album sales.  Perfect example:  Weezer.

Last year, Weezer's Pork & Beans video was the most popular music video on youtube with 16 million hits.  But the album only sold 300,000 copies.
Great points!  While I'd love Axl Rose to be a marketing extraordinaire, I'm quite fine with him being a kickass frontman of a kickass band.  I'll take what I can get.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »

Where do you get this "not do anything"?

Axl himself said things were planned for the future:  There will be proper interviews and some are already scheduled for much later intentionally. God idea, bad?we?ll see. I?m happy the record?s out the rest? one nightmare at a time.

He had reason(s) not to do the promotional things last year. We don't know the specifics and I suspect that if we did, some of you would still be pointing fingers at him.

/jarmo

still yet, people are on here blaming Best Buy.
How can u blame an electronics store? they can't make videos or go on tour or talk to music magazines.

I'm not saying Axl purposely hasn't done anything, but for right now, this moment, he has to take as much blame as the label or Best Buy.

acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2009, 11:43:43 PM »

I'm not saying Axl purposely hasn't done anything, but for right now, this moment, he has to take as much blame as the label or Best Buy.

What else should he have done?

A.  Release the album? - done
B.  Exclusive song in Rock Band - done
C.  Release a kicking track to radio (Chinese Demcracy) - Done
D.  Release a follow-up (Better) - Done
E.  Do interviews (instead of doing it with a magazine...he opted to let the fans interview him on MULTIPLE OCCASSIONS!!!.  these interviews went onto be re-printed all over the internet) - Done
F.  Release a song to A-list movie with Ridley Scott & Leo diCaprio - Done
G.  Attach CD song to a major sport like NCAA football & WWE - Done
H.  Sign an Exclusive Deal with a major retailer and gain a ton Publicity by doing it - Done
I.  Have a major well-received world-wide tour headlining huge events - Done

What else should he have done?  Win a Golden Globe?  Play in the SuperBowl?  Been selected as Obama's VP?  Solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? 

I mean honestly...give the guy a break.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2009, 11:53:50 PM »

Dude, u can feel how u want to feel. If u think in your heart, honestly, that is how a major legendary artist releases an album, and not just any album, but the most anticipated album ever, Great for u.

I personally feel this should've been a monumental event and it shouldn't have came out unless things were 100 percent ready to go.

there should've been tour plans, a lead video, radio promo, Cover and feature article in RS...

Maybe u don't care that your supposed favorite band is no longer huge, I do care. I want GNR to be the biggest most kick ass band in the world again and they could be but choose not to be and as  a fan,right or wrong it aggravates me.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2009, 12:12:41 AM »

still yet, people are on here blaming Best Buy.
How can u blame an electronics store? they can't make videos or go on tour or talk to music magazines.

Nowhere did I blame them for that.

I clearly pointed out what they have done and how they could've done more if they wanted to.

People are saying Best Buy did a lot. I didn't see it at the stores I visited during the album's first week.

/jarmo

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »

I figure paying so much for the album, they probably were a bit leery especially with the economy in dumping thousands and thousands of dollars into big time promo when it seemed Axl wasn't really into it.

U can't blame them for just cutting their losses and hoping that they can sell their inventory.

I think Best Buy are more of the victim in this to be honest. U pay that much money for the most anticipated release and u are stuck with about a million copies.

Methanol
Rocker

« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2009, 01:32:13 AM »

I just don't agree with the "it's Axl's fault" mentality of some fans.
Well, since he IS the leader of Guns N Roses and he (literally) promised us a massive campaign, a Better video etc, then it is very much fair to blame him. There is only so much a record company can do in a situation where the artist decides to do nothing. Or do you think we should believe if/when he pop-ups in a month or two to tell it was not his fault none of these promised things happened... You know there is a pattern with Axl: Things get fucked up, he goes silent, time goes by and he blames everyone else except himself.

It's too bad really as the album is good.  Smiley

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2009, 01:35:39 AM »

It's too bad really as the album is good.  Smiley

you know what tho?  thats really all that should matter.     The album is great, we finally have it.   Its time to stop the constant complaining.    If this shit made me as unhappy as it does some of these folks, I'd find a new hobby.
Henson
Headliner

Need to see a revival tonight...

« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2009, 01:52:07 AM »

I stopped caring about promo when I had the album in my hands.

AND I hear Better is gaining major steam...
Hello Topic.
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2009, 02:14:48 AM »

Maybe the coffers are empty ?

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2009, 02:43:13 AM »

you know what tho?  thats really all that should matter.     The album is great, we finally have it.   Its time to stop the constant complaining.    If this shit made me as unhappy as it does some of these folks, I'd find a new hobby.

Isnt this a discussion board?  Fans use it as an outlet to discuss opinions and thoughts on certain topics that pertain to GnR.  Kinda the whole point of us being here. Is it supposed to be 20 threads of "Isnt Axl Great!"?  The topic is about Better and its radio play, which leads to discussions about the promo and lack there of of the album. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: