Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:57:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose Interview With Del James
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose Interview With Del James  (Read 123210 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #620 on: March 03, 2009, 08:20:21 AM »

I agree.  I have nothing against the VR albums, but I also agree that his work on both Contraband and Libertad is not of the same calibre as that of his earlier work.  It must also be pointed out that, while Slash appears in many of the countdowns of various rock legends and guitar hero type charts etc, it is always a Guns song they use to illustrate the fact.

I agree, but VR were less about solo's and more of a tight knit band.  Before Scott joined VR there was footage on you tube of slash, duff and matt jamming and whatever they were playing rocked and had an awesome solo!  Hopefully it will be turned into a song one day.  But the same can be said of Axl, if there was a countdown of top singers, they would most likely use Jungle or paradise city than better or madagascar.   ok

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #621 on: March 03, 2009, 08:29:16 AM »

I know I'm going to catch hell for this but....

Why does everyone just take axl's side about it?  None of you actually know what happened and, in my opinion, they're both being HUGE babies about it.  Slash did this, Axl did that... how old are these guys?  Obviously my screen name lets you know I'm a huge slash supporter but I still respect Axl a great deal.  But to discredit Slash for his work as a guitar player?  Ouch.  I hate to do it but without him its possible Axl wouldn't be where he is today.  I guess what I really want to say is it sucks that there will never be an official reunion.  And don't get angry at me for wanting to see it, there's a reason you all started coming to the Guns N' Roses website!  And its not Robin Finck and his legendary contribution to the world of rock music...

See, I agree with some of what Axl says...maybe not in as harsh a way as he said it, but at least the basic point.

Slash is at his absolute best when someone is challenging him.  When he's resting on his laurels....his work is good, but nowhere near as good as he's capable of.  He gets, IMHO, sort of lazy and complacent without another strong personality (the caveat being it has to also be someone he respects) pushing him/challenging him.

That's not to take away from his ability...he's an AMAZING guitar player.   And I like a LOT of his work. I mean, a LOT of people are like that....they need a bit of "stress" to be at their best, and most creative.  I don't think that makes him "bad".  MY issue is that he seems to seek out situations where he's NOT challenged...either he's too passive or the other party in the creative process is.  It's a fine line to have to walk, I know...and it's one I don't think he's walked all that consistently since leaving GnR.  There have certainly been moments that have been brilliant, but there has also been a good chunk of mediocrity...and for Slash, someone I think is as gifted a player as there is on this planet, mediocre is disappointing.

And yes, I know not everything can be stellar.  No one hits it out of the park 100% of the time.  That's not what I expect, either.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:37:53 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #622 on: March 03, 2009, 08:36:48 AM »

not saying the band or the performances were sub-par. I fkn love the illusions and I dont think any instrument or player sounds sub-par in the slightest apart from the drums.  They just don't have the same ooomph or swing as the songs deserve - but as I said before that could be how they were mixed.  I found it interesting that Axl pointed that out the drums on those albums as well.  I'd love to hear Brain or Frank tackle Locomotive for example!

I think you're right in assuming that's how they're mixed.  MOST of the tracks were, I think, Steven...right?  And they sound very little like the Appetite drums....so either he was so fucked up that his playing style REALLY was drastically effected, the mixing was radically different, or both.  I suspect it might be a little bit of both, but I, like you, blame the mix for most of it.  When listening to the illusions, I agree with Axl:  If ANYTHING makes the albums sound "dated", it's the style the drums are in.

His comments on Slash's recent guitar playing are fair enough - it's his opinion.  Whilst I have enjoyed seeing VR live and liked contraband - there are only a couple of tracks that I think Slash is stand-out on, and apart from the Hey Joe cover he played live a few years back - his playing hasnt been as memorable in recent years.  sad but true.

Pretty much agree.  He has moments where he really shines, so you know it's not ABILITY holding him back.  But by hook or by crook, he hasn't been consistent since leaving Guns.

Must be sad for Axl and indeed all of them to see Steven in such a state and on a reality show - it is amazing they have all survived what they came from/went through - but steven is still a mess who doesnt mind/care about living it out in public.

Again though - cool to read a Del interview with Axl  beer

Yeah, I get sad when I see Steven.  And then I get angry when I hear him talk or read an interview.  He's still into blaming everyone else for his problems.  Classic addict syndrome.  It's too bad, really.

Together again,
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #623 on: March 03, 2009, 08:39:24 AM »

See, I agree with some of what Axl says...maybe not in as harsh a way as he said it, but at least the basic point.

Slash is at his absolute best when someone is challenging him.  When he's resting on his laurels....his work is good, but nowhere near as good as he's capable of.  He gets, IMHO, sort of lazy and complacent without another strong personality pushing him/challenging him.

That's not to take away from his ability...he's an AMAZING guitar player.   And I like a LOT of his work. I mean, a LOT of people are like that....they need a bit of "stress" to be at their best, and most creative.  I don't think that makes him "bad".  MY issue is that he seems to seek out situations where he's NOT challenged...either he's too passive or the other party in the creative process is.  It's a fine line to have to walk, I know...and it's one I don't think he's walked all that consistently since leaving GnR.  There have certainly been moments that have been brilliant, but there has also been a good chunk of mediocrity...and for Slash, someone I think is as gifted a player as there is on this planet, mediocre is disappointing.

And yes, I know not everything can be stellar.  No one hits it out of the park 100% of the time.  That's not what I expect, either.

Spot on, everyone does need a challenege and a kick up the *ss!  Thats harder when you've already been in such a huge band though cos you have more control over what you can release etc without record companies and so on challenging you.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #624 on: March 03, 2009, 08:42:44 AM »

I think you're right in assuming that's how they're mixed.  MOST of the tracks were, I think, Steven...right?  And they sound very little like the Appetite drums....so either he was so fucked up that his playing style REALLY was drastically effected, the mixing was radically different, or both.  I suspect it might be a little bit of both, but I, like you, blame the mix for most of it.  When listening to the illusions, I agree with Axl:  If ANYTHING makes the albums sound "dated", it's the style the drums are in.

i think Steven only played on Civil War, and struggled to even pull it off cos he was messed up.  matt played the rest i think

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #625 on: March 03, 2009, 08:47:30 AM »

i think Steven only played on Civil War, and struggled to even pull it off cos he was messed up.  matt played the rest i think

You're right. Steven WROTE many of the drum tracks on illusions...not played on them.

It hit me after I posted....

Together again,
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #626 on: March 03, 2009, 08:51:03 AM »

Smiley

Unfortunately i don't know enough about drumming to comment.  I will listen more carefully next time I listen to the album though and see if I can notice anything.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #627 on: March 03, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »

Spot on, everyone does need a challenege and a kick up the *ss!  Thats harder when you've already been in such a huge band though cos you have more control over what you can release etc without record companies and so on challenging you.

And the thing is...Duff and Matt are never going to be "those guys".  They're just not up to it.

Scott was never going to be "that guy".  First off, because I don't think Slash really respected him all that much.  Second, because Scott wasn't going to challenge Slash's "Alpha Wolf" status in VR...not really.  And if you don't have respect, or "leverage", you don't bring much to the "fight".

IMHO, Slash needs a guy who is going to honestly tell Slash when "the guy" thinks the shit is shit, when "the guy" thinks the gold is gold, and when "the guy" thinks the stuff Slash THINKS is shit is actually gold.  Not that Slash needs "direction" or "guidance".  That's not really it.  He just needs that challenge.  Because it makes him work harder on the stuff the other guy thinks is shit, to prove it's not, which makes it MUCH better, and it helps catch that nugget that Slash just doesn't have enough confidence in to flesh out, and motivates him to work it out.  He needs a guy who's not going to back down, and who isn't afraid to go 2 or 3 rounds of a fight over something.  Who isn't afraid to say "Fuck you" to Slash when he needs it...and who can take a "Fuck you" from Slash when it's warrented.

And, for the record, I don't think that's Axl, either.  Not any more, at least.  I think Axl played that role for awhile, to great effect.  I don't think he has it in him to do it again.  I think, ultimately, that's Axl's sort of "unspoken" reasoning behind his feelings about a reunion.  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:00:00 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
suntorytime
Rocker

Kiyoshiro Forever

« Reply #628 on: March 03, 2009, 09:00:30 AM »

Point blank words from Axl.  great read!
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #629 on: March 03, 2009, 09:05:45 AM »

And the thing is...Duff and Matt are never going to be "those guys".  They're just not up to it.

Scott was never going to be "that guy".  First off, because I don't think Slash really respected him all that much.  Second, because Scott wasn't going to challenge Slash's "Alpha Wolf" status in VR...not really.

IMHO, Slash needs a guy who is going to honestly tell him when the shit is shit, when the gold is gold, and when the stuff Slash THINKS is shit is actually gold.  Not that Slash needs "direction" or "guidance".  He just needs that challenge.  Because it makes him work harder on the stuff the other guy thinks is shit, and it helps catch that nugget that Slash just doesn't have enough confidence in to flesh out.  He needs a guy who's not going to back down, and who isn't afraid to go 2 or 3 rounds of a fight over something.  Who isn't afraid to say "Fuck you" to Slash when he needs it...and who can take a "Fuck you" from Slash when it's warrented.

And, for the record, I don't think that's Axl, either.  Not any more, at least.  I think Axl played that role for awhile, to great effect.  I don't think he has it in him to do it again.  I think, ultimately, that's Axl's sort of "unspoken" reasoning behind his feelings about a reunion

Great points again!  I think maybe they both had this affect on each other without ever realising it.  Also, you can see how this may have caused tension and led to what we're discussing today.  I mean, i love slash but i agree that Duff, matt and perla etc, might not push him to his limits.  Maybe, his 2 young kids take them up these days! lol   Smiley

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #630 on: March 03, 2009, 09:17:35 AM »

there's a reason you all started coming to the Guns N' Roses website!  And its not Robin Finck and his legendary contribution to the world of rock music...

Well, for me, that's more or less the reason...I didn't have any interest in GnR before the 06 tour and before listening to the new material. I'm probably not the only one who started listening to GnR because of Chinese Democracy ( not that I didn't know the classic songs before, I just didn't care about them ).

nope my friend, you aren't the only one.  beer

It's the current band. I wouldn't frequent a website dedicated to a dead band.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #631 on: March 03, 2009, 09:30:24 AM »

Well, for me, that's more or less the reason...I didn't have any interest in GnR before the 06 tour and before listening to the new material. I'm probably not the only one who started listening to GnR because of Chinese Democracy ( not that I didn't know the classic songs before, I just didn't care about them ).

nope my friend, you aren't the only one.  beer

It's the current band. I wouldn't frequent a website dedicated to a dead band.

Ditto!  I tried visiting the Pink Floyd website back in '99 for a couple of months, but it got boring fast. Smiley  I would go so far as to say the only reason I'm a fan of Guns N' Roses is because of the song Madagascar.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #632 on: March 03, 2009, 10:42:15 AM »

Scott was never going to be "that guy".  First off, because I don't think Slash really respected him all that much.  Second, because Scott wasn't going to challenge Slash's "Alpha Wolf" status in VR...not really.  And if you don't have respect, or "leverage", you don't bring much to the "fight".

IMHO, Slash needs a guy who is going to honestly tell Slash when "the guy" thinks the shit is shit, when "the guy" thinks the gold is gold, and when "the guy" thinks the stuff Slash THINKS is shit is actually gold.  Not that Slash needs "direction" or "guidance".  That's not really it.  He just needs that challenge.  Because it makes him work harder on the stuff the other guy thinks is shit, to prove it's not, which makes it MUCH better, and it helps catch that nugget that Slash just doesn't have enough confidence in to flesh out, and motivates him to work it out.  He needs a guy who's not going to back down, and who isn't afraid to go 2 or 3 rounds of a fight over something.  Who isn't afraid to say "Fuck you" to Slash when he needs it...and who can take a "Fuck you" from Slash when it's warrented.

And, for the record, I don't think that's Axl, either.  Not any more, at least.  I think Axl played that role for awhile, to great effect.  I don't think he has it in him to do it again.  I think, ultimately, that's Axl's sort of "unspoken" reasoning behind his feelings about a reunion.  

I think he had "that guy" in Contraband.  And it wasn't anybody in the band, but rather the fans.  When Slash, Duff and Matt first started working together again a lot of the fans just saw it as a lame attempt at three washed-up 80's musicians to recapture some of their former glory.  When they got Scott Weiland, they were criticised by many for choosing such a loose cannon.  The criticism only heightened every time Scott was picked up by the police.  For Velvet Revolver to really be taken seriously, they absolutely had to deliver.  And I think Slash actually did push himself to come up with something fresh on that album.  It wasn't what we all expected from him... it was more modern sounding, and for the first time in years it seemed like he was actually going to different places in his playing.  The result was a huge success both critically and commercially (though obviously not as successful as GN'R, but I don't think anyone was expecting that).

Unfortunately, when it came to Libertad, he didn't have anything to prove any more.  It wasn't as vital that he did something different, so he reverted to just whatever was necessary to get the record out.  And whereas in Snakepit when he rested on his laurels, it didn't matter because he was still the best thing on the record, on Libertad you could hear some progression in Duff's playing, and even Matt did something different on the drums (a first for him).  It was this that I believe made Libertad a mediocre album, because the lead guitar just wasn't anywhere near the quality of the rest of the musicianship.  A fact that some bands can get away with, but not a band in which the lead guitar is a central part of the music.

I'm hoping that fan and critical reaction to Libertad will push Slash to realise that he can't get away with doing the bare minimum any more, and that he has to work to keep his status as one of the world's greatest guitarists.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #633 on: March 03, 2009, 10:44:55 AM »

Ditto!  I tried visiting the Pink Floyd website back in '99 for a couple of months, but it got boring fast. Smiley  I would go so far as to say the only reason I'm a fan of Guns N' Roses is because of the song Madagascar.

the song is grand.
yes sometimes it takes just one song for a music lover to seriously get into a band. like falling in love at first sight.
in my case it was the title track.  I love the whole album. and I know you do too.

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #634 on: March 03, 2009, 10:49:08 AM »

I think he had "that guy" in Contraband.  And it wasn't anybody in the band, but rather the fans.  When Slash, Duff and Matt first started working together again a lot of the fans just saw it as a lame attempt at three washed-up 80's musicians to recapture some of their former glory.  When they got Scott Weiland, they were criticised by many for choosing such a loose cannon.  The criticism only heightened every time Scott was picked up by the police.  For Velvet Revolver to really be taken seriously, they absolutely had to deliver.  And I think Slash actually did push himself to come up with something fresh on that album.  It wasn't what we all expected from him... it was more modern sounding, and for the first time in years it seemed like he was actually going to different places in his playing.  The result was a huge success both critically and commercially (though obviously not as successful as GN'R, but I don't think anyone was expecting that).

Unfortunately, when it came to Libertad, he didn't have anything to prove any more.  It wasn't as vital that he did something different, so he reverted to just whatever was necessary to get the record out.  And whereas in Snakepit when he rested on his laurels, it didn't matter because he was still the best thing on the record, on Libertad you could hear some progression in Duff's playing, and even Matt did something different on the drums (a first for him).  It was this that I believe made Libertad a mediocre album, because the lead guitar just wasn't anywhere near the quality of the rest of the musicianship.  A fact that some bands can get away with, but not a band in which the lead guitar is a central part of the music.

I'm hoping that fan and critical reaction to Libertad will push Slash to realise that he can't get away with doing the bare minimum any more, and that he has to work to keep his status as one of the world's greatest guitarists.

Good points, although i wouldn't put it all down to Slash's playing that Libertad flopped.  I think the band kinda fell out a bit and settled for something that they knew wasn't brilliant.  Apparently, on contraband, scott was happy to do the heavier stuff like Slither but eventually he wanted to do more stuff like on Libertad.  It became more "easy listening".  Let it roll rocks though!!! 

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #635 on: March 03, 2009, 11:08:38 AM »

Good points, although i wouldn't put it all down to Slash's playing that Libertad flopped.  I think the band kinda fell out a bit and settled for something that they knew wasn't brilliant.  Apparently, on contraband, scott was happy to do the heavier stuff like Slither but eventually he wanted to do more stuff like on Libertad.  It became more "easy listening".  Let it roll rocks though!!! 

maybe you should find a VR board to have this discussion.

wtf?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #636 on: March 03, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »

the thread got hijacked.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #637 on: March 03, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »

maybe you should find a VR board to have this discussion.

wtf?

Sorry.  Saw a series of posts that interested me and put in my own thoughts.  Shutting up now...
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #638 on: March 03, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »

Sorry guys, the conversation just happened to turn this way without giving it much thought. Smiley

slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #639 on: March 03, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »

Here's my thoughts.

First, I agree with whoever said they are both babies about it. But it's the fans' fault to. We're the ones, well not me or Jarmo particularly, but it's the fans who keep asking about Slash, and a reunion with old Guns and what happened. Shit, that was like 15 years ago or so that the old band fell apart. Does it even matter? I mean, anytime someone is asked about it, they're going to sound like a baby whining about the past. It's inherent in the questions. They probably wouldn't address it if not for us bugging them about it, and we've heard all this before. The past is the past, let it rest. These guys are never going to work together again, so let's just drop it already.

Second, I liked both VR albums, but as I listen to them, its Scott's work that stands out to me the most. Not Slash's, which is kinda ironic, because he was supposed to be the big draw on the album. Duff and Matt both did fine jobs as well, but yeah, Slash's hooks just weren't what they could have been overall. I mean, people bitch about the new line-up because there's no Slash, but even Slash doesn't play like Slash anymore.

Third, I thought it was funny when he said people are already pestering him about a release date for the next album. I think it's pretty clear they're won't be a next album ... not for a while anyway.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: