Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:23:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  Stop posting articles for other GN'R fans to enjoy, it's stealing! (was Brain in Modern Drummer)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stop posting articles for other GN'R fans to enjoy, it's stealing! (was Brain in Modern Drummer)  (Read 73514 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 09:26:55 PM »

Don't Copy, Modify or Display Images You Find

The Copyright act gives the copyright owner the exclusive right to reproduce or modify their work, and to exclude others from doing so. Copying includes copying or saving their image to your hard drive, or copying to other mediums, like scanning a photo from a book and turning it into a JPEG file.It is illegal to copy from copyrighted sources

Modifying a work, say by cropping, coloring, distorting, enlarging, etc. is not a way around this law. Creating a derivative work "or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed or adapted" is an infringement.

If you take a copyrighted image without permission, and put it on a web page, you are violating the exclusive right of the copyright owner to display his work

http://www.pdimages.com/law/10.htm

Damn, well, if for no other reason than to avoid any legal hassles, perhaps it is best to just to transcribe the text and not scan and put in the images?

The text is the only part that really matters, in my opinion.

Ali
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 09:27:50 PM »

What can you use pics for other than looking at them? I guess I'm not following your argument - I don't see how looking at them somewhere else is better/worse than looking at them here??  Huh

Well you can always use them on your own site and get visitors to it so you make more ad money.....

/jarmo

I don't see what effect plastering a third party name (HTGTH) all over the picture/article is protecting Modern drummer (1st party) from evil GNR fansite owner (2nd party)  infringing copyright and making ad money. It's coming across far more like a 'nyah, nyah, we got it first' dickwaving kind of thing.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 09:36:13 PM »

I'm glad all the posters from SLCPUNK's site are here to defend their cause.

In the end, you all basically don't want us to post articles.

Fair enough.

/jarmo

Please.

You know damn well that's not the point.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 09:43:31 PM »

I don't see what effect plastering a third party name (HTGTH) all over the picture/article is protecting Modern drummer (1st party) from evil GNR fansite owner (2nd party)  infringing copyright and making ad money. It's coming across far more like a 'nyah, nyah, we got it first' dickwaving kind of thing.

Well it doesn't come across as "how dare you steal form that magazine (while our site is stealing from the band)!" either.

More like "we want to use those pics on our site but we can't because we don't want to advertise your site since it might mean less visitors for us".

Did you notice how SLCPUNK is posting one of my pictures? Something I actually own the copyright to.

So here he is defending Modern Drummer magazine by stealing from GN'R and editing my copyrighted picture.

You know damn well that's not the point.

Tell me what the point is then.

You're upset because the scans say the name of the site they appeared on?

Why exactly?

Please explain how that's worse than you streaming GN'R music.

Those scans are now gone thanks to you.

And since the so called GN'R community seems to object that those who do the work and spend their time/money to get us these articles gets the credit they deserve, I'm guessing there'll be less articles posted in the future. Unless you can copy and paste somebody else's scans.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 09:46:56 PM »

Well it doesn't come across as "how dare you steal form that magazine (while our site is stealing from the band)!" either.

More like "we want to use those pics on our site but we can't because we don't want to advertise your site since it might mean less visitors for us".

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 09:49:27 PM »

I don't know what the law is concerning transcribing text, but I don't see an issue with that off-hand.  I think the photo issue is where there was gray area, apparently even illegal area.  It's not worth it to post the scanned images if for no other reason than to avoid any legal problems.  I, for one, think the only thing that mattered was Brain's comments, not his pictures.

Ali
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »

Those scans are now gone thanks to you.

Oh yea, thanks to me. Were you in the military? Is this some sort of punishment where everybody suffers because you don't like some back talk? Give me a break dude. I guess it's impossible to put up without your watermark on it 'eh?

And since the so called GN'R community seems to object that those who do the work and spend their time/money to get us these articles gets the credit they deserve, I'm guessing there'll be less articles posted in the future. Unless you can copy and paste somebody else's scans.

You seem to change the rational each post. I remember Kujo and I spending time and money sending back TMs with concert updates. We just did it because we were fans and didn't expect credit, or thanks, or anything silly like that. We were just sending updates to the boards.

Perhaps it would not have been such a big deal if your Gal Gypsy Soul didn't start off being a jerk about it all. Some posters already found the practice to be offensive. So when somebody like her starts off with "Boo hoo hoo" it may not warrant the type of response you like. Go figure.

Sorry if this doesn't full under your definition of "fan".

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:54:04 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 09:55:02 PM »

I never could understand why people always say everything is about Axl.

because they are dense dense dense.

MD: You've brought Guns N' Roses up to minute with these drum tracks, like the break-beat intro before the big groove comes in.

Brain: Axl is really interested in having everybody bring what they do into the picture. I just did a remix of "Shackler's", made it kind of more club. And I think he wants to put out a remix album of some of the other songs we did.

Now, my heart is beating faster.   love dance dance dance

Dense is a very good word for it!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »

I don't know what the law is concerning transcribing text,

Text is copyright, you can't transcribe a novel and post it.

Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »

Why did you remove the article? Wanted to read that   Undecided

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 09:59:01 PM »

Great answer.

So all three (SLCPUNK, TAP, Bandita) of you FAIL to see the other side of the coin. How some people might be tired of buying magazines every week just looking for GN'R mentions and then having it all copied and pasted without even a little "thank you" because under no circumstances can you mention that other GN'R site that sucks....

And those of you who do so all happen to post at SLCPUNK's site.

Wow. Amazing.

Oh yea, thanks to me. Were you in the military? Is this some sort of punishment where everybody suffers because you don't like some back talk? Give me a break dude.

Of course it's thanks to you.

If you had been more interested in the article, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Since the focus changed, we had to do something.

It's called reacting.

I hope you're happy.

You seem to change the rational each post. I remember Kujo and I spending time and money sending back TMs with concert updates. We just did it because we were fans and didn't expect credit, or thanks, or anything silly like that. We were just sending updates to the boards.

Thanks!

But maybe you shouldn't just think that everybody thinks like you.

I've done updates too. Just because I wanted to.

But that doesn't mean I don't understand that somebody else, who spends hours typing out an article might not agree if I say, "hey, just do it for the fans".

Perhaps it would not have been such a big deal if your Gal Gypsy Soul didn't start off being a jerk about it all. Some posters already found the practice to be offensive. So when somebody like her starts off with "Boo hoo hoo" it may not warrant the type of response you like. Go figure.

And just maybe she finds it offensive when people whine about the scans instead of talking about the content....

Sorry if this doesn't full under your definition of "fan".

Falls under whiner.

The fact that you had to try to insult me speaks volumes....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 09:59:33 PM »

Of course not with a novel.   But, Blabbermouth transcribes portions of interviews and newsstories from other sites all the time and has no problem with it, obviously.  That's what I'm talking about.

If nothing else, someone could give a synopsis of an article, mentioning all the pertinent bits of information.  That's pretty common practice.

Ali
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 10:04:25 PM »

Come on, paste the scans again

SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 10:05:36 PM »

Wow. Amazing.

I know you'd like it to be about something like that, but it absolutely is not. You can search my post history, I've always been against watermarking scans. To say otherwise is dishonest on your part. Like I said anyway, the interview is available online. I already had it on my site, which proves your little theory is wrong.

Thanks!

But maybe you shouldn't just think that everybody thinks like you.

I've done updates too. Just because I wanted to.

But that doesn't mean I don't understand that somebody else, who spends hours typing out an article might not agree if I say, "hey, just do it for the fans".

Why not just say "Thanks to Gypsy for typing this up" rather than watermark it?

And just maybe she finds it offensive when people whine about the scans instead of talking about the content....

Of course she does, nobody likes getting called on their bullshit.

The fact that you had to try to insult me speaks volumes....

/jarmo

Yes, when you call me a thief or Adz tells me to fuck myself that's ok, but when I reply to it, then it "speaks volumes". Is there anything you do that doesn't contradict itself?

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 10:06:55 PM »

Of course not with a novel.   But, Blabbermouth transcribes portions of interviews and newsstories from other sites all the time and has no problem with it, obviously.  That's what I'm talking about.

If nothing else, someone could give a synopsis of an article, mentioning all the pertinent bits of information.  That's pretty common practice.

Ali

Hmm...not sure if interviews count.  If the Pres. does an interview with one news network, quotes will be posted in stories by any and all other networks, wire services, etc.  

In other words, I can't run around screaming "I LOVE HOOKERS" and then claim that, if you think it's newsworthy and print it, you're stolen my intellectual property.

Then again, I know little about this...random thought, but does anyone know of a FREE DVD rip program that doesn't watermark?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 10:09:35 PM »

Fair use isn't well defined. Newspapers seem to be going with a three paragraph or less rule of thumb with blogs as far as partial transcriptions are concerned....but internet copyright law is very grey as far as I can tell.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 10:11:29 PM »

Ali

Hmm...not sure if interviews count.  If the Pres. does an interview with one news network, quotes will be posted in stories by any and all other networks, wire services, etc.  

In other words, I can't run around screaming "I LOVE HOOKERS" and then claim that, if you think it's newsworthy and print it, you're stolen my intellectual property.

Then again, I know little about this...random thought, but does anyone know of a FREE DVD rip program that doesn't watermark?

Agreed.  I'm not sure if interviews count.  And I certainly don't think transcribing an interview, which could fall under the title of entertainment news is at all analogous to transcribing an entire novel, which is a work of fiction.  That's why I mentioned Blabbermouth as an example.  And, if not the whole article, like I said, a synopsis of it would be worth writing up without offending anyone or violating copyright law.

Ali
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 10:15:30 PM »

Like I said anyway, the interview is available online. I already had it on my site, which proves your little theory is wrong.

Wrong. Their site doesn't have the full thing.

Why not just say "Thanks to Gypsy for typing this up" rather than watermark it?

Maybe she thinks you'd just crop it out?

Yes, when you call me a thief or Adz tells me to fuck myself that's ok, but when I reply to it, then it "speaks volumes". Is there anything you do that doesn't contradict itself?

Like post GN'R songs on my site and give lessons about stealing?

Me calling you a thief is not an insult, it's my opinion.

I called you a thief because I think you're being a hypocrite.

You're here defending copyrights while you're streaming copyrighted works by the band your site is dedicated to.

So just because your pictures don't say anything, it's ok.....

You telling me to fuck off is clearly you trying to insult me.....

/jarmo

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:17:39 PM by jarmo » Logged

TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »

Great answer.

So all three (SLCPUNK, TAP, Bandita) of you FAIL to see the other side of the coin. How some people might be tired of buying magazines every week just looking for GN'R mentions and then having it all copied and pasted without even a little "thank you" because under no circumstances can you mention that other GN'R site that sucks....

I don't see how *we* collectively failed to see that, in fact that was my implication - can't speak for anyone else. Thanks for posting, but it wasn't yours.

I suspect we post at that site because we see things in a similar way, we don't see things in a similar way because we post at that site.

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 10:17:53 PM »

Superb interview. Dedicated to all the people who bitch about the band saying ''nobody in the band is allowed to talk except for Axl''.

I was lucky enough to be able to read the whole interview while the scans were up.

My suggestion: let GipsySoul post the scans again in a new thread and erase this one. I cant believe we're talking about ''watermarks'' having such a great and extended interview to talk about.

If you feel the read was good, please go and buy the damn magazine.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: