Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:53:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash To Mentor American Idol Rock Week
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash To Mentor American Idol Rock Week  (Read 68504 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2009, 07:34:03 PM »

Its simple mathematics

Slash has a solo record coming out ,AI is seen by 30 million people, exposes Slash to a new generation of fans

Please.

It's not even recorded yet.

What's next? His next appearance at some party is gonna be promoting his follow up or the new VR record?  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2009, 07:34:32 PM »

Its simple mathematics

Slash has a solo record coming out ,AI is seen by 30 million people, exposes Slash to a new generation of fans

I hate AI but its a SMART business move.
That would make more sense if his album was coming out sometime soon.  I haven't heard any release date rumors or anything, and I know he's still working on it.  People have a very short attention span.  When the album comes out I'm not so sure American Idol watchers are gonna run out to the store because he appeared on the show months ago.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2009, 07:39:47 PM »

Some people dont understand that the music you create is art, everything that surrounds it is a business. Where slash appears or what he does doesnt change the music he creates. A great song on his new solo album wont be any less great because he was on American Idol (thats a for instance obviously as noone has heard the album).
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2009, 07:53:38 PM »

Some people dont understand that the music you create is art, everything that surrounds it is a business. Where slash appears or what he does doesnt change the music he creates. A great song on his new solo album wont be any less great because he was on American Idol (thats a for instance obviously as noone has heard the album).
I don't think anyone is claiming that him appearing on the show makes him any less of a guitarist.  Some people are opposed, and rightfully so.  The show is loved by millions and absolutely hated by a large number (count me in THAT group).

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
AC
Rocker

« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2009, 08:07:02 PM »

If you think promoting your music by playing the songs live or doing interviews equals promoting yourself by doing commercials, appearing on day time TV shows etc., ok......

/jarmo

Today, promotion is promotion in whatever means you do it. So if your reply is in disagreement to what I said then I have to disagree with that. I'm not saying I agree with it, because as a musician myself I would never do such a thing...   peace

a.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:09:40 PM by AA » Logged

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2009, 08:13:40 PM »

Well will say adam rocked the fuck out of Zep[.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »

There aint a rock singer alive with those pipes right now and Im not afraid to say it

AI normally sucks but WOW this guy is fantastic. why the hell is he even on this show?

Slash had to be thinking, why couldn't we get this guy for VR?

I hate AI cause it has always been a "POP" type of show and I hate that shit or so called "ROCK" people

This dude Adam,however, is the real fucking deal.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2009, 08:26:57 PM »

^^^ Agreed 1000x over!  Lambert did rock the fuck out of Whole Lotta Love.  That has to be one of the best AI performances I've ever seen.  The kid's got great range.  Fuckin' awesome.   Cool

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2009, 08:30:41 PM »

Oh crap, my neighbor is a relative of the kid Kris Allen...how do I tell my neighbor his cousin can't hold Adam's jock?
 Embarrassed
I was ready to call him up...but my wife wisely talked me out of it.  Be a good neighbor.   Smiley
That duet of Renegade sucked ass.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2009, 08:32:25 PM »

Its simple mathematics

I hate AI but its a SMART business move.

yes, a smart one. Slash wants to sell more than Guns N'Roses.
in a way, I would like to see that, to have some musical competition between Axl & Slash.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2009, 08:46:02 PM »

If you think promoting your music by playing the songs live or doing interviews equals promoting yourself by doing commercials, appearing on day time TV shows etc., ok......

/jarmo

Today, promotion is promotion in whatever means you do it. So if your reply is in disagreement to what I said then I have to disagree with that. I'm not saying I agree with it, because as a musician myself I would never do such a thing...   peace

a.

You have to understand that not everybody wants their favorite song being used in a commercial for soap or their "cool rock idol" go on TV shows that aren't cool.

I personally don't care.

But don't try to sell me a "dangerous rock n' roll" image when you're one of the guys who are definitely part of the same game all those wanna be celebrities are.

It just becomes very fake when one minute you're out there selling yourself (the brand name) and the next you're trying to be an artist with integrity.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2009, 09:14:07 PM »

Slash is Dangerous

Going on AI is about as Rock N Roll and dangerous as u can get if u want to look at it from a different perspective.

That is what I call a Dont give a fuck attitude. Cause if he cared what people thought, he wouldn't have done it.

The episode was done very well. He just seemed like a cool mentor giving kids tips on how to be better rock singers. Didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth at all.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2009, 09:19:10 PM »

Slash is Dangerous

Going on AI is about as Rock N Roll and dangerous as u can get if u want to look at it from a different perspective.

That is what I call a Dont give a fuck attitude. Cause if he cared what people thought, he wouldn't have done it.

The episode was done very well. He just seemed like a cool mentor giving kids tips on how to be better rock singers. Didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth at all.

interesting perspective....i thought the episode was done well as well, wonder what the contestants thought of getting to play their song of choice w/ slash and his band...explains why they had all the guest appearances
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2009, 09:40:42 PM »

I thought he was out promoting his unfinished album? Or Velvet Revolver. Or his "book". Or selling his house....

/jarmo

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2009, 10:49:19 PM »

I have this on TiVo and have not even watched it yet...but it's starting to show up on YouTube.  Slash is seen briefly in the start of the clip...

Adam Lambert TOP 4 VID Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmtr4mBaj10

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »

yeah I just wanted to post the link. the guy sounds like a karaoke machine without any feeling.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2009, 11:03:20 PM »

American Idol Episode Recap: Top 4 Perform

May 5, 2009

Adam: "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin

"Adam's got some pipes, y'know?" says Slash. Yes, we know, Slash, but often Adam is just a smidge too much sizzle when it comes to his vocals (see: animalistic banshee screeching). So "Whole Lotta Love" is an inspired choice, as the song is essentially a series of plaintive wails separated by brief stretches of really dirty lyrics ? "I'm going to give you every inch of my love," for example -- which are a nice match for Adam's penchant for eye-raping the camera. It's a fairly straightforward interpretation of the first Zeppelin song ever performed on Idol, but in this case, that's a good thing, as he really rawks the roll out of it. One small critique: His eyebrows, which are manicured within an inch of their life, are definitely not rock and roll. Randy and Kara say some things that are neither comprehensible nor worthy of mention. Paula calls it a "whole lotta perfect." Simon jokes that he thought the performance was a little understated, but says "nobody can top that now," which I'm sure is doing wonders for the nerves backstage.

Allison: "Cry Baby" by Janis Joplin

Slash thinks that Allison is perfect to sing Joplin, but that she needs to get past the fear. I have to say that I'm not loving this arrangement. It needs to be dirtier; this sounds like a wedding band is in the studio to record something for the St. Elmo's Fire soundtrack. I hardly even notice Allison's vocals, which seem unmodulated and flat; that's not what she wants to be at this stage of the game. Randy thinks the arrangement lacked melody. When Kara asks, Allison admits that she's always nervous, and I just want to take her 17-year-old self out for a hot-fudge sundae and tell her everything is going to be OK. (Am I too old to say that? Or too young?) Paula plays casting agent and says Allison should play Joplin in a biopic. Simon saw confidence, but not enough originality. He also thinks that she should have chosen a different song, but Allison argues that her original choice ? Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody to Love" ? would have been too safe. Simon then tells her that she should just beg for votes at this point, which is kind of rude. A feisty Allison responds that the judges always tell her that she doesn't talk enough, which may be true, but my personal pet peeve is when the contestants talk back to the judges. It's a lose-lose proposition for poor Allison, who looks defeated.

Kris and Danny: "Renegade" by Styx

Duet! This song's swooning melodies work well with two singers, and particularly these two singers. They acquit themselves nicely in the lower register. When the lights flare and the tempo soars, it's a little less interesting, as the pair ping-pongs through the lyrics and it's like we're at Wimbledon. Neither really rocks my world, to be honest. Randy agrees with me about the harmonies, though he says they're "on blast," a term I've personally never used. Kara says they were better united, even though they are the guys "who help the little women cross the street," not the outlaws that the song's title suggests. (Aside: Kara is slowly transforming into a Pink Lady from Grease, no?) Paula calls it "powerful and compelling." Simon says that Danny was better than Kris. Just like that. Mean.

Kris: "Come Together" by the Beatles

"The pride of Conway, Arkansas," got to play one of Slash's guitars. "I almost wanted to pee my pants," Kris says. Slash warns Kris that he needs to be a little more animated on stage. I think his smiley-sideways-mouth singing style works well with this song's surreal lyrics. Overall, though it's a competent performance, nothing really stands out. Randy appreciates that he picked something that matched his personality, and enjoyed his guitar-playing. Kara says he's the "softer side of rock," and apparently she likes it hard because this was not her cup of ju-ju eyeballs. Paula thinks his imprint on the song was evident, but that he needs a little more energy. Simon thought it was like "eating ice for lunch," in that it will leave you with nothing to remember. "It was a bit of a jam," he says, and I know what he means.

Danny: "Dream On" by Aerosmith

Slash says picking this song is all about whether you can nail the scream at the end, and boy, was he right! Danny starts out strong, despite the insane staring contest he has with the camera. In the middle, there's a little improvisational scatting that is both distracting and out of step with the song. But it's by far not the worst part. That would be that scream at the end of the song, which to my ears he totally botches. It's painfully bad. Randy gives him an A+ for effort, which is his way of saying, "No, dawg. Just no." Kara thinks he's better matched for "early Aerosmith -- like 'Cryin'' or 'Crazy'" ? which, correct me if I'm wrong, are both definitely later Aerosmith. Later than "Dream On" anyway, right? Paula doesn't know if it was the right song for him. Simon says the last note was like watching a horror movie. And I agree with him. But he still thinks he's going to be safe tonight, which is pretty damning for Kris and Allison considering how bad this performance was.

Allison and Adam: "Slow Ride" by Foghat

I will betray my age by saying that I have loved this song since I saw Dazed and Confused, which, whether you're older or younger, will probably make you roll your eyes. So it's disappointing that I find it so boring, especially since I consider myself a fan of both Allison and Adam. When they break it down a bit near the end, there's the opportunity for both very competent singers to display some pipes, but the big finish is a little abrupt and definitely pat. Meh. The judges were watching something different though because it's raves all around. Simon says they win the battle of the duets, and that Adam may have given Allison a chance to stay in the competition as a result.

http://www.tvguide.com/Episode-Recaps/American-Idol/American-Idol-Episode-1005790.aspx

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2009, 11:31:53 PM »

As Seacrest went over Slash's bio, he mentioned that Slash worked with some of the biggest name vocalist in music: cue pictures of Fergie, Steven Tyler, and Ozzy.

Hmmmm.....a couple of significant faces missing.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2009, 11:54:12 PM »

As Seacrest went over Slash's bio, he mentioned that Slash worked with some of the biggest name vocalist in music: cue pictures of Fergie, Steven Tyler, and Ozzy.

I assume you're referring to Axl and Weiland?  Well they did mention GNR and VR, and most people should know the lead singers of those bands.  They were just pointing out how Slash worked with other artists outside of his regular bands.  At least, that's how I took it.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2009, 12:05:01 AM »

I assume you're referring to Axl and Weiland?  Well they did mention GNR and VR, and most people should know the lead singers of those bands.  They were just pointing out how Slash worked with other artists outside of his regular bands.  At least, that's how I took it.

It was sad when they blurred out Duff's face when they showed a clip during the SCOM video.

And you people are deaf.  That Adam Lambert fella you guys are drooling all over just ruined vibrato for me for the rest of my life.

His voice is like one of those wank hair metal guitar players who whammy during the whole song.

I'm gonna get the Led out to get some normalcy back in my ears.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: