Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:01:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash To Mentor American Idol Rock Week
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash To Mentor American Idol Rock Week  (Read 68521 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2009, 12:20:46 AM »

I have to agree, I've heard so many people pumping that Adam guy up, maybe my expectations were just way too high.  But I couldn't make it through his performance.  I was far from impressed.  I watched it a 2nd time (this time ALL the way through) and I guess he did sound better to me towards the end, but I'm still not all that impressed.  American Idol keeps their streak alive by not impressing me in the least.  Some things never change.  And I'm proud of that.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2009, 12:31:38 AM »

I thought Slash handled his appearance pretty well. He seemed to know what kind of thoughts and comments his appearance on AI would receive, which is probably why he said he'd never really been interested in doing AI before, or that it wasn't for him or whatever, but a couple of this season's contestants had really caught his eye. And instead of gushing over them like the mentors usually do, he just jammed with them on stage and kinda kept a "whatever" attitude.

Even though he's a million times more talented than the other three contestants combined, I kinda hope Adam doesn't win just he won't have the American Idol label attached to him the rest of his career. If he wins, he won't have as much creative control early on. Maybe tomorrow he'll annouce he's leaving the show to be the new singer of VR!!   ok

I know not everybody likes Adam, but the things people complain about--- like his over-the-top performances and his banshee-wailing--- I love. My favorite singers have always been guys who can get their voices unbelievably high, like Axl and Robert Plant and Prince, just to name a few. Adam is straight up 80's-glam metal. And I think that's awesome.

Also, isn't Led Zeppelin notorious for being stingy with their music? They don't usually give permission for shows like AI to do their songs. Either they were feeling generous this week, or they too are fans of Adam.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:44:35 AM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2009, 12:51:08 AM »

As Seacrest went over Slash's bio, he mentioned that Slash worked with some of the biggest name vocalist in music: cue pictures of Fergie, Steven Tyler, and Ozzy.

Hmmmm.....a couple of significant faces missing.
I assume you're referring to Axl and Weiland?  Well they did mention GNR and VR, and most people should know the lead singers of those bands.  They were just pointing out how Slash worked with other artists outside of his regular bands.  At least, that's how I took it.

Considering Slash's career, wouldn't you start by referencing those vocalists since those two bands form the vast majority of Slash's success as a lead guitarist. I took the slight as just that.....a slight.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2009, 02:49:48 AM »

I thought he was out promoting his unfinished album? Or Velvet Revolver. Or his "book". Or selling his house....

/jarmo

Ok Ok, we get the idea.  We all know how much you hate Slash.  Maybe your just jealous that there is fuck all news coming from the GNR camp, so you decide to bash Slash on everything he does? 

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2009, 03:12:42 AM »

Well, they DID mention that he was recording his FIRST EVER SOLO ALBUM!!!!

So.....anyone wanna argue with that?  All the people that are saying he only did this for fun?
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2009, 05:54:30 AM »

Well, they DID mention that he was recording his FIRST EVER SOLO ALBUM!!!!

So.....anyone wanna argue with that?  All the people that are saying he only did this for fun?

Id say its probably a bit of both.  I guess when your a drug addict for years and then all of sudden your sober, there probably is a massive void to fill there.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2009, 09:47:30 AM »

As Seacrest went over Slash's bio, he mentioned that Slash worked with some of the biggest name vocalist in music: cue pictures of Fergie, Steven Tyler, and Ozzy.

Hmmmm.....a couple of significant faces missing.
I assume you're referring to Axl and Weiland?  Well they did mention GNR and VR, and most people should know the lead singers of those bands.  They were just pointing out how Slash worked with other artists outside of his regular bands.  At least, that's how I took it.

Considering Slash's career, wouldn't you start by referencing those vocalists since those two bands form the vast majority of Slash's success as a lead guitarist. I took the slight as just that.....a slight.
I didn't take it as a slight.  I think you're reaching.  They showed him performing in GNR and VR, and most people KNOW who he worked with in those bands, at least in GNR.  They just showed pictures of OTHER singers he performed with.  It's possible Axl or Scott didn't want their images shown too, although I lean more towards it wasn't necessary to show them.  It's quite common knowledge he worked with those guys.  It's not as common that he played with Fergie, Steven Tyler, and Ozzy (2 of which will be on his solo album).

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2009, 09:51:35 AM »

Rolling Stone

? We called this one last week: Adam Lambert, Led Zeppelin, no brainer. Lambert snarled and stared his way through 1969?s ?Whole Lotta Love,? nailing those piercing high notes. If Slash doesn?t pick him up as Velvet Revolver?s new frontman, maybe Jimmy Page wants to give him a ring. OK, neither of those thing will (or should) happen, but per Paula Abdul, it was indeed a ?whole lotta perfect.?

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »

I thought he was out promoting his unfinished album? Or Velvet Revolver. Or his "book". Or selling his house....

/jarmo

Ok Ok, we get the idea.  We all know how much you hate Slash.  Maybe your just jealous that there is fuck all news coming from the GNR camp, so you decide to bash Slash on everything he does? 

Get over the "you hate Slash" shit.

One of his fans is telling me Slash was on the show promoting his unfinished album and I don't buy that.

What's the fucking problem?

Do you honestly think he was there promoting his unfinished album?

I'm happy for you that you get excited when Slash is playing GN'R hits with the likes of Fergie.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »

One of his fans is telling me Slash was on the show promoting his unfinished album and I don't buy that.

I'm happy for you that you get excited when Slash is playing GN'R hits with the likes of Fergie.

/jarmo

Apologies, I shouldn't have taken a low blow at ya man.

I honestly have no idea why he decided to do it.  Maybe he was bored and thought it'd be cool.  Maybe he is trying to get out there a little so his solo album has a better chance of success.  Maybe he was thinking about a singer or maybe he needs some money lol.  Its just one of them things that only he'd really know.

I don't really like when Slash plays with Fergie but at the same time, I can see how a musician can easily get bored without a band.  In other words, I don't have any issue with it.

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2009, 10:42:15 AM »

That version of Whole Lotta Love didn't blow me away either. Obviously the judges disagreed.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »

Some photos of Slash/Perla with Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Slash's son holding an Adam Lambert sign.

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=slash%20american%20idol&assetType=image&src=quick

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2009, 01:14:02 PM »

/jarmo

/jarmo

maybe he wanted to check out lambert and play a song with him to see what he was like to perform with?  to me, that would be the most likely possibilbity
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2009, 01:42:39 PM »

Maybe he got called by a friend Simon Cowell  and asked to do it?

Slash thought, 30 million people watch this show, I am solo now, I need to introduce myself to a new generation of fans etc...........

also, they did announce he was working on a solo album and the way Slash is recording, I say that thing will be ready by August.

I think they didn't mention Axl or Scott maybe due to some sort of legal thing....... maybe they had to get clearance to use their likenessess. Notice they played VR songs introducing Slash.

I honestly laugh at people who weren't impressed by Adam's Whole Lotta Love.

Seriously, do u not know how fucking incredibly hard that song is to sing? U could probably count on your hand right now the number of people who could sing that song.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »

I honestly laugh at people who weren't impressed by Adam's Whole Lotta Love.

Seriously, do u not know how fucking incredibly hard that song is to sing? U could probably count on your hand right now the number of people who could sing that song.

I think the dude can sing it's just that no one can touch Robert Plant singing that tune. I have a problem with covers where the singing is noticeably not as good as the original. It would be like someone trying to cover Jungle.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2009, 02:43:59 PM »

that whole lotta love  sucked
evergreen_layne
Rocker

People have waited a long time for this

« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2009, 03:45:22 PM »

/jarmo

/jarmo

Wow he really is testy isn't he.  You see Axl has lost this "battle" with Slash.  Resorting to name-calling ("cancer", etc.) means you've already lost.  Plus its kind of hard to fight him when Slash is busy being happy with a family and making new music.

P.S.  What's worse - playing SCOM with Fergie or paying the guitar player from Nikki Sixx's side band to be your lead guitarist?

11.08.02 - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
12.10.06 - Everett Events Center, Everett, WA
12.11.06 - Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2009, 03:47:51 PM »

Wow he really is testy isn't he.  You see Axl has lost this "battle" with Slash.  Resorting to name-calling ("cancer", etc.) means you've already lost.  Plus its kind of hard to fight him when Slash is busy being happy with a family and making new music.

P.S.  What's worse - playing SCOM with Fergie or paying the guitar player from Nikki Sixx's side band to be your lead guitarist?

This has nothing to do with GN'R and/or Axl. Thank you.  Smiley

Another Slash fan has nothing to say, so he needs to bring up Axl. Predic-fucking-table.

Now, back to your regular discussion about the rock n' roll TV program called American Idol.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AC
Rocker

« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »

If you think promoting your music by playing the songs live or doing interviews equals promoting yourself by doing commercials, appearing on day time TV shows etc., ok......

/jarmo

Today, promotion is promotion in whatever means you do it. So if your reply is in disagreement to what I said then I have to disagree with that. I'm not saying I agree with it, because as a musician myself I would never do such a thing...   peace

a.

You have to understand that not everybody wants their favorite song being used in a commercial for soap or their "cool rock idol" go on TV shows that aren't cool.

I personally don't care.

But don't try to sell me a "dangerous rock n' roll" image when you're one of the guys who are definitely part of the same game all those wanna be celebrities are.

It just becomes very fake when one minute you're out there selling yourself (the brand name) and the next you're trying to be an artist with integrity.

/jarmo

I didn't get the feeling that he was selling anything last night, personally. I thought it was done well. If you watched Jamie Foxx's stint on AI, now that was terrible. He even threw out a plug for a movie at one point.

Who said Slash was selling a "dangerous rock n' roll" image? Maybe in 1987, but nowadays that stuff doesn't fly.

Just my opinion, and I'm not a huge Slash fan by any means, but I thought out of all the celebs that have been on he's done the best to keep it real and about the music.

a.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 04:39:06 PM by AA » Logged

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2009, 04:36:57 PM »

Does anyone know if Slash is going to be on there again tonight?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: