Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:59:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash To Mentor American Idol Rock Week
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash To Mentor American Idol Rock Week  (Read 68518 times)
AC
Rocker

« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »

Does anyone know if Slash is going to be on there again tonight?

Originally I thought he was, but Ryan didn't say anything about him being on again last night.

a.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
AC
Rocker

« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2009, 04:41:13 PM »

I have to agree, I've heard so many people pumping that Adam guy up, maybe my expectations were just way too high.  But I couldn't make it through his performance.  I was far from impressed.  I watched it a 2nd time (this time ALL the way through) and I guess he did sound better to me towards the end, but I'm still not all that impressed.  American Idol keeps their streak alive by not impressing me in the least.  Some things never change.  And I'm proud of that.

It's worth checking out Adam's earlier performances to put it all into perspective. Last night I thought was good, but his cover of Tears for Fears was amazing. He really does a great job in all ranges and styles.

a.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2009, 04:41:49 PM »

Wow he really is testy isn't he.  You see Axl has lost this "battle" with Slash.  Resorting to name-calling ("cancer", etc.) means you've already lost.  Plus its kind of hard to fight him when Slash is busy being happy with a family and making new music.

P.S.  What's worse - playing SCOM with Fergie or paying the guitar player from Nikki Sixx's side band to be your lead guitarist?

This has nothing to do with GN'R and/or Axl. Thank you.  Smiley

Another Slash fan has nothing to say, so he needs to bring up Axl. Predic-fucking-table.

Now, back to your regular discussion about the rock n' roll TV program called American Idol.  ok

/jarmo

I just want to be able to put my opinions across on this board in any topic or section wether they are positive or negative and have a discussion. This sections always ends in an Axl vs. Slash argument and in the GN'R board anything that isnt complimentary is deleted. A problem that is easy to fix, let people have their opinions without others instantly being offensive or aggressive back.

And back on topic I think it said he is on again tonight?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »

I didn't get the feeling that he was selling anything last night, personally.

I didn't see it, but I think people who go on TV shows when they don't have anything to sell are often doing it to get attention.

Who said Slash was selling a "dangerous rock n' roll" image? Maybe in 1987, but nowadays that stuff doesn't fly.

When his current band started, that was their marketed image. Wink

But then when you have a real unpredictable band on the scene, these people get annoyed because those kinds of bands don't act like they "should".....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2009, 05:44:20 PM »

I dont think being punctual or doing the best you can in your chosen profession is a bad thing. Being dangerous and not doing your job properly dont have to go hand in hand. Not that I ever thought VR were dangerous, mostly family men etc. I just love their music.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2009, 05:45:39 PM »

just watched it.
and I joined the "American Idol Adam Lambert sucks Foundation" group on facebook right after.  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2009, 06:36:50 PM »

Fucking Slash. That is all I could say when my wife told me he was on Idol. Now I hear Howard Stern talking about it and I have to agree with him. Its pathetic. Artie always said it would depress the fuck out of him if Springstein ever appeared on it and even went so far as too say he would ride the sybian if Bruce showed up on American Idol. But here is fucking Slash. Slash on American Idol. Wow.

Well if there was ever a doubt in anyones head

Axl > the prostitute formally known as Slash.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »

Way to turn this into an Axl vs Slash thread Burning Hills

What did Slash do so bad? He mentored and gave advice to singers.

It was done in a really nice way and I thought he came off great on there.

What people don't realize, those who hate AI are the big time MINORITY.

So Slash should turn down opportunities to get himself out there, just to please a few hundred people on a message forum?

Let me ask u this, Let's say Slash would've turned down AI, the Axl fans wouldn't have gave him credit or changed their opinions about him anyway, so who cares what they think?

I could give u a few whorish things the other side has done but I don't want to turn this into a VS thread.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »

And here we go again....
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2009, 06:57:13 PM »

^Ditto!  BuddhaMaster is right...Slash...how sad.

That said, I'm sorry, but Adam Lambert absolutely rocked Whole Lotta Love.  I have never heard a cover of that song as good as that.  

The "rock" singers on AI have traditionally sucked ass.  This guy is legit.  He can hit really fucking high notes and he's got very good stage presence.  He even managed to control his duet with the chick and didn't try to outsing her at all.
Lambert can outsing "Daughtry" in every way, shape, and form...and btw, if you forgot, $la$h played guitar on a song or two of Daughtry's album.  Don't kid yourself...$la$h wants in on Adam's 1st record.

btw, b4 this Adam kid came along, my fav. from AI talent-wise was a chick named Mandeesa.  She had an awesome voice.

thanks for the laugh BMaster...now I have to get that image of Artie on a sybian out of my head!   crying  hihi

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2009, 07:10:29 PM »

Fucking Slash. That is all I could say when my wife told me he was on Idol. Now I hear Howard Stern talking about it and I have to agree with him. Its pathetic. Artie always said it would depress the fuck out of him if Springstein ever appeared on it and even went so far as too say he would ride the sybian if Bruce showed up on American Idol. But here is fucking Slash. Slash on American Idol. Wow.

Well if there was ever a doubt in anyones head

I tape the Stern show daily on my Sirius Stilletto, and for some reason it came out all garbled today.  It was fine for weeks, but last night apparently the largest cloud ever got in the way of the satellite so every 5th word was cut off.  The whole Slash/GNR talk was hard to hear.  So I figured I'd try to tape it again on the replay.  The connection was crystal clear until the Slash/GNR talk, then again every 5th word is cut out.  And right after they finish that segment, again everything is crystal clear, I shit you not.  It's like somebody didn't want me to hear them talk about Slash and GNR. 

From what I could gather though, like Buddha said Howard mentioned how pathetic it was and how he used to look up to Guns N' Roses or hold in high regard, like Artie does with Bruce Springsteen.  He then went on to talk about how the band broke up in part due to the grunge movement, among a lot of other things (strong personalities, drugs, etc.)  At least that's what I got out of the garbled discussion I heard.  I'm trying for a 3rd time to tape the show at midnight.  We'll see how that goes.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2009, 07:37:25 PM »

What people don't realize, those who hate AI are the big time MINORITY.

True.

But if you want to please the majority, maybe you shouldn't be in the rock n' roll business to begin with. Wink

So Slash should turn down opportunities to get himself out there, just to please a few hundred people on a message forum?

He can do whatever the fuck he wants.

But his fans shouldn't just assume GN'R fans will accept his every move...  Smiley

Everybody has an opinion on what's cool and what's not. American Idol seems to be the kind of show that's cool for those who don't give a fuck about rock music.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »

I do hate American Idol with a passion but I am trying to think beyond my own beliefs. Something like that with such a huge fan base would be hard to turn down, especially if you are a mid 40's guitar legend trying to branch out your own brand

After he left GNR, he had to do shit to keep himself out there so I can't necessarily begrudge him for certain things. Some things are necessary evils to keep yourself out there. sure it isn't the path for everyone, but I can understand why some do certain things even if Im not thrilled with it.

Bon Jovi doing AI left a bad taste in my mouth and I hated it, but I can get over it because unless u are an indy artist that plays small clubs and bars, u gotta do certain shitty things to stay relevant. just part of the game.

monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »

It's not about who is better, both Axl and Slash are amongst the greatest rock musicians of their generation.

All professional musicans sell a product to some degree or other or they wouldn't have any income. It's what it means to professional musican as opposed to someone who plays music as a hobby. They have products to sell. They sell their music and merchandise, part of that process is creative, part is image, and part is branding and getting media attention. It's just the business. While I personally dislike the Idol franchise, it is where the industry is currently, and Slash is simply working with the media as most professional musicans would do.

I personally think that while fun, there is nothing "rock" about playing computer games, yet both Slash (on guitar hero 3) and Axl (with rockband2) have released product for it. Why? Because it's business, in the age of downloads, there is good money in releasing music in that format, and, frankly, their fans want to see more of them and their music. It's not selling out. It's just makes sence.

Slash is on idol because people are interested in him because of his prior works, and because he has an album in the works and so wants to keep some attention. Everyone wins.
I see nothing wrong with that.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2009, 08:25:32 PM »

^Ditto!  BuddhaMaster is right...Slash...how sad.

That said, I'm sorry, but Adam Lambert absolutely rocked Whole Lotta Love.  I have never heard a cover of that song as good as that.  

The Black Crowes with Jimmy Page.  Live at the Greek.

I personally think that while fun, there is nothing "rock" about playing computer games, yet both Slash (on guitar hero 3) and Axl (with rockband2) have released product for it. Why? Because it's business, in the age of downloads, there is good money in releasing music in that format, and, frankly, their fans want to see more of them and their music. It's not selling out. It's just makes sence.

Those games aren't available on the computer.

Axl never had his own character, he didn't go out there in a motion capture suit and they didn't slap his face on any box that's for sure.

He just lets the music do the talking.

Other people just talk and parade themselves everywhere.  They are free to do whatever they want, but not everyone is going to say, "GOOD FOR HIM!!!!!!"
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #155 on: May 06, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »

It's not about who is better, both Axl and Slash are amongst the greatest rock musicians of their generation.

All professional musicans sell a product to some degree or other or they wouldn't have any income. It's what it means to professional musican as opposed to someone who plays music as a hobby. They have products to sell. They sell their music and merchandise, part of that process is creative, part is image, and part is branding and getting media attention. It's just the business. While I personally dislike the Idol franchise, it is where the industry is currently, and Slash is simply working with the media as most professional musicans would do.

Slash is on idol because people are interested in him because of his prior works, and because he has an album in the works and so wants to keep some attention. Everyone wins.
I see nothing wrong with that.

I think the only reason Slash was asked was so simon could introduce slash to adam; simon's a friend of his and slash seems to have thought enough of Adam to do the show.   ;)And I wouldnt be surprised if slash had a hand in helping get whole lot of love approved  Shocked

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #156 on: May 06, 2009, 09:25:21 PM »

As Seacrest went over Slash's bio, he mentioned that Slash worked with some of the biggest name vocalist in music: cue pictures of Fergie, Steven Tyler, and Ozzy.

Hmmmm.....a couple of significant faces missing.
I assume you're referring to Axl and Weiland?  Well they did mention GNR and VR, and most people should know the lead singers of those bands.  They were just pointing out how Slash worked with other artists outside of his regular bands.  At least, that's how I took it.

Considering Slash's career, wouldn't you start by referencing those vocalists since those two bands form the vast majority of Slash's success as a lead guitarist. I took the slight as just that.....a slight.
I didn't take it as a slight.  I think you're reaching.  They showed him performing in GNR and VR, and most people KNOW who he worked with in those bands, at least in GNR.  They just showed pictures of OTHER singers he performed with.  It's possible Axl or Scott didn't want their images shown too, although I lean more towards it wasn't necessary to show them.  It's quite common knowledge he worked with those guys.  It's not as common that he played with Fergie, Steven Tyler, and Ozzy (2 of which will be on his solo album).

They blurred out the GnR members too.

You assume everyone knows Axl and Scott. The idol audience consists of very young pop fans. Why not mention two legendary vocalists? It reinforces Slash's resume.  I think thers is a hidden reason why the lead singers of VR/GnR were not shown.

But it is very possible Axl and Scott didn't want their pictures show; that is some significant gossip.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2009, 09:33:37 PM »

yeah they blurred them, and there's not a single note of guns n'roses music in Slash's presentation video.
kind of weird to see November Rain with Velvet Revolver music on it  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2009, 10:06:45 PM »

Everyone has an opinion except if it differs from the people who think current GNR is the only music that's really music.  Come on really!  lame...

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2009, 10:15:59 PM »

Slash played "School's Out' with the 4 finalists. I thought the finalist kinda sucked on it but Slash played a cool solo and plugged his solo album!

Told u he was on there to promote his solo disc.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: