Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:53:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  holy shit! this is THE BEST gnr line-up EVER!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: holy shit! this is THE BEST gnr line-up EVER!  (Read 28215 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 12:17:38 PM »

Some people always doubt the choices.

"This guy shouldn't be there" blah blah blah.

It was said abut Paul Tobias, but read the fucking song writing credits.

It was said about Chris Pitman, same thing.

It's a band, it's about chemistry combined with talent. That's why many of the so called supergroups don't go anywhere. They don't function as a band because the sum of its parts isn't what it should be.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »

Roll Eyes A lineup that hasn't played a single note together live or on record is the greatest GNR lineup ever. OK  Roll Eyes

Thats not really accurate.   Its 7/8 of the same lineup as 2006-2007.   IMO That was the most solid (at least touring) lineup of GnR, so I'm optimistic they will be equally as tight with DJ on lead guitar.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 01:49:39 PM »

I have to respectfully disagree with the best lineup statement. No offense to any of the individuals as musicians ( I am a musician myself), But the Appetite lineup has all of them beat. The appetite lineup produced the best and classic album ( Appetite for destruction) and had in my oppinion the best song on the illusion albums ( Civil War). That band had great chemistry. In a band that is something that can't be created. I feel that Axl tried to create a feeling of chemistry on Chinese Democracy. Too many players on the album gave it a overproduced feel. Not saying that its a bad album but chemistry is something that you just have. 
axljungle
Rocker

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 01:54:08 PM »

I thing that the current line-up is goog, but first I need hear playing on tour. I believe that Dj Ashba it's the better choice for GNR, and I getting f**king impatient to hear this band.  Grin

downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 01:55:04 PM »

haters tried to ruin the fun again.  haters FAIL.  AGAIN!

Haters aren't trying to ruin your fun. Some of us just don't say that this is the greatest flavor of Kool Aid ever without taking a sip first....no matter who is serving it.

but if the guy serving the kool aid was an EXPERT on kook aid, and had made the best kool aid in history every time he ever tried to make kool aid, why wouldn't you believe in his ability to do it again?

open your mind!  just let yourself relax and love gnr. 

get on board or kindly FUCK OFF!!!

While I applaud your enthusiasm, your assertion rests on the premise that Axl has been in control over every lineup change.  Sorry but it doesn't fly.  Axl even admitted that there were numerous attempts to get Buckethead back in the band.  Some people prefer Bumblefoot over Buckethead (personally, while I like Bumble's persona and his playing, I haven't been wowed like I was with Buckethead), maybe Axl now does as well.  But considering Bumblefoot wasn't added till a couple of weeks before the 2006 warm up shows in NYC, it didn't sound like Axl was dying to replace Bucket with Bumble as some master plan to make the band better.  

I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade and I agree with Jarmo that a band is more than just the sum of it's parts.  Look at the original lineup.  The band really started to head south (my opinion, not a fact) as older members were either asked to leave or quit on their own.  Izzy wrote some great hooks and riffs, but when it came time to do it on his own, didn't seem to have the same touch as he did in GNR.  

Maybe with DJ Axl believes he's found a guy he can work with.  That doesn't mean this will be the greatest lineup ever.  That has yet to be seen.  In my opinion, Axl is just making the best substitutions he can based on how he feels it would positively affect the band and the performance.  I applaud him for that as that's no easy chore.  But the yield is better left judged till after a note has been struck, don't you agree?

Cheers,

Andrew

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 05:15:13 PM by downzy56 » Logged

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »

I have to respectfully disagree with the best lineup statement. No offense to any of the individuals as musicians ( I am a musician myself), But the Appetite lineup has all of them beat. The appetite lineup produced the best and classic album ( Appetite for destruction) and had in my oppinion the best song on the illusion albums ( Civil War). That band had great chemistry. In a band that is something that can't be created. I feel that Axl tried to create a feeling of chemistry on Chinese Democracy. Too many players on the album gave it a overproduced feel. Not saying that its a bad album but chemistry is something that you just have. 

jesus christ.  don't you guys ever get tired of it?  we're trying to have a discussion about how awesome the new line-up is, and guys like you just can't give the 'old-band-afd' business a rest.  

pretty please?  with sugar on top?  maybe for one day can we just celebrate gnr without having to hop on the bitterness express train back to 1986?
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 02:06:44 PM »

jesus christ.  don't you guys ever get tired of it?  we're trying to have a discussion about how awesome the new line-up is, and guys like you just can't give the 'old-band-afd' business a rest.  

pretty please?  with sugar on top?  maybe for one day can we just celebrate gnr without having to hop on the bitterness express train back to 1986?

I thought the name of the topic was (holy shit! this is THE BEST gnr line-up EVER! ). Are we not allowed to voice our opinions? Or is this topic only for people who want to praise the new lineup? This topic is beginning to go south:   Blame it on the falungong!!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 02:26:16 PM »

Blame it on the falungong!!

they seen the end and you can't hold on now! headbanger

hehe I love cd better than any other album.
overproduction my ass. there surely is chemistry.

anyhoo go on.
I have my popcorn ready.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 02:40:50 PM »

Blame it on the falungong!!

they seen the end and you can't hold on now! headbanger

hehe I love cd better than any other album.
overproduction my ass. there surely is chemistry.

anyhoo go on.
I have my popcorn ready.

How is there chemistry if this new lineup hasnt played a single gig yet? I saw the last lineup twice (  at hammerstein and MSG) and undeniably they had a certain chemistry to them. Having said that, My point about Chinese democracy was more about too many players giving it an overproduced feel. It doesnt flow as well as the other albums. No disrespect to the players. I personally feel that Axl shouldve made the last touring band record all of the material on the album instead of having some do fills here and there over other people who were in the band previously. The band he had in place were more than capable of doing that. And after a tour is when a band is most cohesive. When the tour ended they shouldve rushed into the studio and recorded the hell out of these songs.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »

Maybe Axl doesn't make records for you.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 02:54:25 PM »

Maybe Axl doesn't make records for you.

/jarmo

Jarmo,

I never said he did. I just offered my opinion on the topic. Whether people agree on it or not it is what I feel.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 03:04:03 PM »

All this "he should've", "he should" bullshit is irrelevant at the end of the day.

An artist should make the kind of albums he/she wants. It's about integrity and being true to your own vision instead of trying to please others.

You either get it or you don't.

All this overproduced bullshit is funny.

Some bands/artists get hailed for their awesome production with "layers" and what not. Others get accused of overproduction because the album doesn't sound like some shitty garage tape.

The album is the results of a bunch of people collaborating. This is nothing new for GN'R. Go look in your old albums, you'll find names of people there that weren't in the band at the time of release.

/jarmo

RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 03:08:44 PM »

Speking of guys that aren't in the band, how sweet is it that there is a song in the peipeline Down By The River? I think that was written by/with Izzy! I hope it was with him!Axl mentioned this in one of his chats but didn't clarify if it was a song written BY Izzy or WITH Izzy. Anyone know any more about this?

At the end of the day most people prefer the AFD lineup (general public) a lot prefer the UYI lineups and some prefer the ChiDem lineup. The bottom line is most of us on here are fans and we are waiting for GNR to announce a tour.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:22:24 PM by RancidPunx » Logged

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 03:42:25 PM »

All this "he should've", "he should" bullshit is irrelevant at the end of the day.

An artist should make the kind of albums he/she wants. It's about integrity and being true to your own vision instead of trying to please others.

I agree with you 100% on this. As an artist I would never put anything out that I didnt believe in 100%. That's a huge part of yourself that you are putting out there for the world to see.

You either get it or you don't.

All this overproduced bullshit is funny.

Some bands/artists get hailed for their awesome production with "layers" and what not. Others get accused of overproduction because the album doesn't sound like some shitty garage tape.

My point and OPINION about the production was that too many people playing on a song rob it of an organic feel. You tour and play with a lineup and create a certain chemistry and magic that you can only hope to reproduce in the studio. When you have too many players who were or werent in the lineup anymore playing it robs the song of that. I think the songs are good. Some of them were even better on the leaks when they were in there rawer state. You can do that without having a shitty garage tape sound.

The album is the results of a bunch of people collaborating. This is nothing new for GN'R. Go look in your old albums, you'll find names of people there that weren't in the band at the time of release.

Again I agree. But when you have too many musicians who are no longer in the band on the album you rob the new players of a chance to shine. in my OPINION the new band shouldve rerecorded all of the previous players parts.  When you say names of people that werent in the band im assuming your referring to teddy zig zag, shannon hoon etc. They were never presented as part of Guns. Buckethead is even though he hasnt been a member for a long time.

/jarmo

-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 03:45:16 PM »

Speking of guys that aren't in the band, how sweet is it that there is a song in the peipeline Down By The River? I think that was written by/with Izzy!

That's the one I look forward to the most myself.

Especially if he has credits on the song.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 04:03:10 PM »

My point and OPINION about the production was that too many people playing on a song rob it of an organic feel. You tour and play with a lineup and create a certain chemistry and magic that you can only hope to reproduce in the studio. When you have too many players who were or werent in the lineup anymore playing it robs the song of that.

Nice theory. That probably only works if you record an album live in the studio with the band just playing everything right there.

Otherwise you have a guitar player listening to the other tracks and putting his mark on the recording that way.

I don't think the rest of the band were playing along to the song while Brain was laying down his drum tracks to re-create that chemistry.....

It's also worth noting that the new guys like Bumblefoot and Frank recorded their parts after the band had toured....

On the other hand playing together live will definitely make a band sound better as the tour progresses and helps create a band vibe.

I think you're just grasping at straws to find something to complain about because the album isn't Appetite For Destruction.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:08:37 PM by jarmo » Logged

peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 04:16:38 PM »

My point and OPINION about the production was that too many people playing on a song rob it of an organic feel. You tour and play with a lineup and create a certain chemistry and magic that you can only hope to reproduce in the studio. When you have too many players who were or werent in the lineup anymore playing it robs the song of that.

Nice theory. That probably only works if you record an album live in the studio with the band just playing everything right there.

Otherwise you have a guitar player listening to the other tracks and putting his mark on the recording that way.

I don't think the rest of the band were playing along to the song while Brain was laying down his drum tracks to re-create that chemistry.....

On the other hand playing together live will definitely make a band sound better as the tour progresses and helps create a band vibe.

I think you're just grasping at straws to find something to complain about because the album isn't Appetite For Destruction.

/jarmo

I never said i was looking for another Appetite. And i dont think im complaining. Im just stating my opinion. Also Jarmo as a musician I know what happens in the recording process regarding your statement : (Otherwise you have a guitar player listening to the other tracks and putting his mark on the recording that way. ) When you tour these songs and play them over and over again you develop a feel for them as well as timing. It creates that magic and organic feel.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 04:20:27 PM »

So you think they should've played all the songs on the album live in 2006-7 and then recorded them?

Is that your recipe for a great album?

/jarmo

peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »

So you think they should've played all the songs on the album live in 2006-7 and then recorded them?

Is that your recipe for a great album?rial

/jarmo
k ,
Totally not what im saying. I think when you play together as a band regardless of what material you are playing you develop a chemistry. Band members learn to feed off of one another. Once you have that familiarity it will feed over to the recording process. Its easier to react to somebody youve played with and are familiar to listening to than somebody youve never played with. For example: Tommy is familiar with both drummers having played many shows with them so his part would be easy which explains why the base sounds good with the drums. Now Bumblefoot has never played with Buckethead. So the same familiarity is not there. Not that easy to react in the studio to somebody youve never played with. But like I said before...its just my opinion. Im not complaining like you said i was. Just giving my 2 cents. I feel like we were having an intelligent discussion.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 07:16:42 PM »

Ok, I see.

But in order to achieve what you're describing, several guitar parts would've been removed. Because the person isn't in the band anymore.

Now, if that had happened, the album would obviously be different and it's only possible to speculate about its qualities compared to the actual released album.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: