Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:05:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Duff McKagan's Book 'It's So Easy (And Other Lies)'; First 9 Chapters Posted
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff McKagan's Book 'It's So Easy (And Other Lies)'; First 9 Chapters Posted  (Read 39116 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 01:47:38 PM »

And, Yes, I Got a Book Deal

By Duff McKagan, Thursday, Mar. 25 2010

I am not sure if any of you have heard the rumors about me getting a book deal. I just wanted to announce here first that it is in fact true. The reason for any announcement at all is twofold, actually:

1. Most important, I want to thank the readers of my column for really pushing me to write this book. Those constant suggestions and prodding really made me take a look at what I was saying, and indeed at how I was writing it. The Weekly staff have also been invaluable to me--certain editors here have made a big difference as far as what they expect from me. That too makes for a better product.

2. I want to also make clear that this book is not a GN'R "tell-all" or some other such "rock" book. There are a lot of those at this point. Sure, I will touch on all of that, as it is part of my story, but only just a part of it. Rather, it will be a story of an ordinary guy who met with extraordinary circumstances, and the circumnavigation through these situations. If you have been a reader of my column, then you get the general idea of my headspace. I WILL be writing this myself, thick or thin.

Touchstone, a division of Simon and Schuster, will publish my book in Fall 2011. Stacy Creamer, Touchstone VP and Publisher, will be my editor. I am excited that Tim Mohr, my old editor at Playboy, will be joining me too on this challenging venture and chapter of my life. Tim has edited the likes of Hunter S. Thompson. I look forward to him throwing out thousands of my words and telling me that I am full of shit on a daily basis!

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2010/03/yes_i_got_a_book_deal.php

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »

Great news !

I wouldn't mind a GNR 'tell-all' book by Duff though.  He strikes me as the most honest and trustable person of the 5.

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 01:43:57 PM »

From Susan Holmes:

Duff got two big book deals -Touchstone in the US & Orion in the UK!

about 17 hours ago via TweetMeme

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 04:16:04 PM »

According to Duff's wife Susan, he has written 450 pages so far and the book will be released in Oct. or Nov. of 2011.

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 06:51:28 PM »

According to Duff's wife Susan, he has written 450 pages so far and the book will be released in Oct. or Nov. of 2011.

450 pages? As long as it doesn't get whittled down in the editing process, that'll be quite a lengthy read.
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 01:11:34 AM »

I'll read this.

I like Duff.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 06:19:32 PM »

600 pages so far. Shocked

From Susan Holmes McKagan:

Duff has penned more than 150,000 words thus far, for his Autobiography set to realease on @SimonSchuster Novemeber 2011

about 2 hours ago via web

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »

That's good news, but damn.....a whole year to wait!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »

From Duff:

Alright then, here goes. Does anyone out there have good candid or stage shots of me from the last (gulp) 30 years? I need photos for my book! Thanks in advance. Im not so good on the facebook, so maybe spread the word too? (how to submit in above post)

If you have photos to submit:

1. Please make sure they are photos taken by YOU (lawyers, copyrights, blah
blah, etc)
2. Send an email with the photo attached as a jpeg file and the subject line:
PHOTO SUBMISSION to duffmckaganphotos@gmail.com
3. Include your full name, date, and location of the photo.
4. Deadline for submission is midnight (PST) on Friday January 14, 2011

Thank you!!!

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 01:21:08 PM »

DUFF MCKAGAN's Autobiography Gets Release Date - Mar. 2, 2011

Duff McKagan's (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES, DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED) much-anticipated autobiography is scheduled to arrive on October 11 via Touchstone Fireside, a division of Simon & Schuster.

Duff revealed the book's release date during a brand new interview with VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner. McKagan said, "I finished it about a month ago [and it has] a lot of words in it."

In a 2010 installment of his weekly column, which appears on Reverb at SeattleWeekly.com, McKagan stated about the book, "I want to make clear that this book is not a GN'R 'tell-all' or some other such 'rock' book. There are a lot of those at this point. Sure, I will touch on all of that, as it is part of my story, but only just a part of it. Rather, it will be a story of an ordinary guy who met with extraordinary circumstances, and the circumnavigation through these situations. If you have been a reader of my column, then you get the general idea of my headspace. I WILL be writing this myself, thick or thin.

Based on the 40-page proposal that made the rounds of publishing houses in February 2010, McKagan's book will begin on the day in 1994 when his pancreas burst from alcohol abuse. It will recount his rise through the music scene, his fall into drug abuse and his recovery, which included two years of celibacy and a degree in finance from Seattle University.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=154768

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »

Duff's book title confirmed:

It's So Easy
and other lies

By Duff McKagan

This edition: Hardcover, 304 pages

Availability: Ships on or around October 4, 2011

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 04:15:06 PM »

Duff McKagan: Autobiography 'Not The Same Story'

Duff McKagan promises that "It's So Easy and Other Lies," his upcoming autobiography, is "not the same story" as former Guns N' Roses bandmates Slash and Steven Adler told in their memoirs.

"Mine's not really a Guns N' Roses book, where I think Slash's ('Slash') really was...and I haven't read (Adler's 'My Appetite For Destruction')," McKagen, who plans to publish the book in October, tells Billboard.com. "I'm not saying one's better than the other. This is just my story. It's really my demise into addiction and stuff, and then my way out and my journey into things. My Guns N' Roses story is my Guns N' Roses story. My Velvet Revolver story is my Velvet Revolver story. It's my rock story, from my distinct viewpoint."

http://www.billboard.com/news/duff-mckagan-autobiography-not-the-same-1005140382.story#/news/duff-mckagan-autobiography-not-the-same-1005140382.story

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 06:29:49 AM »

According to the 40-page proposal making the rounds of publishing houses, Mr. McKagan's book would begin on the day in 1994 when his pancreas burst from alcohol abuse.

So he decided to start from the part he remembers.
I was excited until i read this.

I want the whole story not half of it. Id love to know about those early days in Seattle.

html sucks
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 01:10:55 PM »

Apparently its gonna start there then flashback to the beginning. I'm looking forward to this and Scott Weilands too. Will be interesting to see if theres any similarities in what went on with Guns and VR.
scans n' copies
Headliner

I still say "OK, nevermind" when I hear s.o.d.

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 04:27:45 PM »

I didn't know Weiland was writing one too.  I'm really looking forward to both of them now.

We finally got a U.S. tour!!!!!!!!!!!
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 06:30:57 PM »

According to the 40-page proposal making the rounds of publishing houses, Mr. McKagan's book would begin on the day in 1994 when his pancreas burst from alcohol abuse.

So he decided to start from the part he remembers.
I was excited until i read this.

I want the whole story not half of it. Id love to know about those early days in Seattle.

I think the reason he's starting it from 1994, is because he doesn't want it to be a tell all GN'R book, much like the way Slash's book was advertised.

I'm really looking forward to Duff's side of the story regarding the VR situation. Duff seems like someone who is honest, and doesn't say stuff for the sake of it. I'd rather hear Duffs side of VR, than Slash's, because I feel Duff is not under as much of pressure to convey a certain opinion about Scott, and his departure from VR.  peace
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 07:09:11 AM »

dude, its not starting in 1994. he said its gonna flash back
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »

dude, its not starting in 1994. he said its gonna flash back

Yes, but even if he flashes back now and then, the books main direction is still going to be post 1994. And this is something that Duff wanted to express, that it was not another "tell all" GN'R type of book.  ok
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »

Slash's book started in the mid-2000's and then went back to the beginning too. It's the trick that's used a lot in books and movies all over the place. Start with something dramatic, and then show how you got there after the opening credits. (See Mission: Impossible III).

It could be what you said, but I'm fully expecting it to work like that. I think when he says it's not a "tell all" book, it just means the focus will be on him and him alone without going into some of the other shit that went on.
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »

Slash's book started in the mid-2000's and then went back to the beginning too. It's the trick that's used a lot in books and movies all over the place. Start with something dramatic, and then show how you got there after the opening credits. (See Mission: Impossible III).

It could be what you said, but I'm fully expecting it to work like that. I think when he says it's not a "tell all" book, it just means the focus will be on him and him alone without going into some of the other shit that went on.

I wouldn't be telling people to see mission impossible 3.. that movie sucked  Tongue

im pretty suprised that duff hasn't read steven's book, especially if he's writing his own - as if it wouldn't be a great source for SOME memories. I really get the vibe that Slash and Duff KIND OF don't give a shit about steven, they kind of think he's a joke/drummer's aren't that important in a band. Especially after some of the stuff steven said in his book..
You know as honest & nice as these guys might be/seem to be, they will always tend to see themselves as better than they were in history. I'll be interested to see how Duff thinks he treated steven...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: