Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:31:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What is it people fail to understand about Chinese Democracy?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is it people fail to understand about Chinese Democracy?  (Read 180782 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #460 on: June 28, 2009, 02:03:17 PM »

nothing, I happen to like it!

when I thought you could help How Are You Grenade, you disappointed me! hihi
Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #461 on: June 28, 2009, 04:20:17 PM »

This happens to be a message board dedicated to Guns N' Roses, that's why we are talking about it! Maybe we should start talking about North Korean nuclear policies instead? Why does it have to be either one or the other? confused It's possible to discuss music even though there are problems in the world, you know!

That's not what I'm saying, dude, I'm just pointing out that the levels of antagonism about this issue are totally over the top.  We can discuss the album without the "What?  You don't think this record is the greatest thing since sliced bread!?  You must be a Slash lover/ stuch in the past/ thick/ a mainstream sheep etc." on the one hand the "This album sucks!  You're all deluding yourselves, you're pathetic, crap on glasses"  haivers on the other.  The bizzare attempts at phsycological analysis on this forum are pathetic, can we not just talk about the music for what it is: music?

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #462 on: June 28, 2009, 06:52:57 PM »

one person getting fired becasue of a drug problem and Izzy leaving AFTER touring for years is not major line up changes.

Then I seen them in 2002 and 2006, in 4 short years, the whole band was almost not the same. MAJOR CHANGES. understand the difference?

Do the math.

Steven and Izzy leaving = 2/5 of the band.

Buckethead and Robin leaving = 2/8 of the band.

2/5 = 16/40
2/8 = 10/40

16/40 > 10/40

Even if you throw in the Brain/Frank change (that really is NOT a change since BOTH are still in GNR), that is still only 3/8 of the band.

3/8 = 15/40

16/40 > 15/40

SO STEVEN and IZZY LEAVING CAUSED THE BIGGER CHANGE TO THE GNR LINEUP.  Tongue

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #463 on: June 29, 2009, 12:17:58 AM »

Oh my god, are we really arguing about whether or not GNR have had major lineup changes?  rofl

And there goes the challenger...
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #464 on: June 29, 2009, 01:47:28 AM »

People leave bands everyday, the world is an imperfect place.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #465 on: June 29, 2009, 02:34:51 AM »

Thank you, Captain Obvious Roll Eyes

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #466 on: June 29, 2009, 03:08:05 AM »

Thank you, Captain Obvious Roll Eyes

No problem, troll.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #467 on: June 29, 2009, 02:30:17 PM »

Yeah, I'm a big troll. Check my post history. Roll Eyes It was a light-hearted comment, relax.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #468 on: June 29, 2009, 03:10:45 PM »

what is it you fail to understand about cd?

What is it that people are supposed to "understand" or "get" about this album? People either like something or they don't. I asked this question before and no one ever answered.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #469 on: June 29, 2009, 05:02:04 PM »

LunsJail, don't expect an answer, you won't get one.

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #470 on: June 29, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »

^ What makes you so sure about that?

What is it that people are supposed to "understand" or "get" about this album? People either like something or they don't. I asked this question before and no one ever answered.
You're telling me that all of your favorite albums were just easy to listen to and you loved at the first listening?

I'm sure some of my all-time favorite demanded something more than just listening pleasure. I enjoy non-obvious songs, music that takes you to think and decrypt its layers of instrumental and meanings of lyrics. For example, Ok Computer and King For A Day.

If you put songs as simple as "like it or dislike it", without taking in consideration complexity and narrow-minded people, you will never get why some albums are trashed just to become cult years later.

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #471 on: June 29, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »

You're telling me that all of your favorite albums were just easy to listen to and you loved at the first listening?

I'm sure some of my all-time favorite demanded something more than just listening pleasure. I enjoy non-obvious songs, music that takes you to think and decrypt its layers of instrumental and meanings of lyrics. For example, Ok Computer and King For A Day.

If you put songs as simple as "like it or dislike it", without taking in consideration complexity and narrow-minded people, you will never get why some albums are trashed just to become cult years later.

Exactly. That's why the lack of promotion bothers me so much. I wish the public had a chance to really hear this music and no one involved with it cared enough about it to promote it properly.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #472 on: June 29, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »

Subjectively, no one can consider it "alright to pretty good". No way. The songs are on a level that no other bands out there today puts out, and the production is flawless and so is the band.

All music is going to be greeted with responses ranging from "this is awesome" to "this is shit". Everyone is different. What one person considers to be great, someone else will think is awful.

I wouldn't be too worried about the wider public's opinion of CD. IMO, if I like it, that's my main concern. The album's out there in the shops for people to discover and if in time, people begin to like it, great.

To answer the question, the fact that the band is almost completely different from the AFD/UYI line-ups probably turned a lot of people off.

The main thing for me is that I enjoy the album as well, but the question begs to be raised why such a hyped record was ignored, regardless of promotion. People should have been all over it, it should have been selling itself, judging by the hype, the band name and the quality of the material.

where was it hyped? right here on the forums. the rest of the world pretty much couldn't care less about it and it would have needed a MASSIVE promotion for a decent amount of people to be "all over it".

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #473 on: June 30, 2009, 02:46:46 AM »

here's someone who failed at understanding Chinese Democracy.  rant rant rant

I have to admit that this asshole made me laugh several times  hihi

http://chorpenning.wordpress.com/2009/06/13/chinese-democracy-the-bollocks-review-part-i/
http://chorpenning.wordpress.com/2009/06/13/chinese-democracy-the-bollocks-review-part-ii-this-time-its-personal/
http://chorpenning.wordpress.com/2009/06/13/chinese-dumb-ocracy-the-bollocks-review-part-fucking-iii/

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #474 on: June 30, 2009, 03:15:39 AM »

that was really funny!

homo homini lupus...
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #475 on: June 30, 2009, 03:55:49 AM »

Holy crap that made me laugh!!   rofl

I just  love it when "critics" like that make a complete fool of themselvs!

Stavanger-rock-city!!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #476 on: June 30, 2009, 11:16:15 AM »

Roll Eyes It was a light-hearted comment, relax.

if so  Roll Eyes, rolling eyes were miscast.

What is it that people are supposed to "understand" or "get" about this album?

the message.

People either like something or they don't. I asked this question before and no one ever answered.

So did i. and i asked it again there. and one more time

What do we understand about the album?

what do people understand about past albums?

I've said that you don't need to understand everything about an album to like it.
Maybe you can understand a Britney song perfect and yet dislike it.
I've also said that the sales don't indicate people's understandings of it.

But when you love something, you dig it. You want to know it more. You try to see it for what it really is.

Otherwise,
What music forums are for? To discuss about musician's teeth or clothing? Not that i hate those subjects tho.
Is music just either 'sucks' or 'rocks' for you? not for me.

Like ron said,  john Lennon said or was it Paul McCartney? Music is a means of comunication.

and to my understanding so far cd is a huge heartfelt love letter for the fans and for the band/ its muse.
That's my take and i'll stick to it! (till confirmed otherwise)
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #477 on: June 30, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »

I agree for the most part but most albums usually have a single that draws you in to give the album a listen. OK Computer had Paranoid Android. After hearing that song I was curious to listen to the rest of the album. I dont think CD had that great single that draws you in. I like the album and its a shame. But dont call people who dont appreciate it narrow minded people. People either like or dislike music. Just like genres some people like classical some people like Rock. Its just what there into. I can see why some old gnr fans wouldnt like the album. Its not because they are not suffistocated or narrowminded. Its because the new album is a complete different genre as the old ones. Its not the bluesy rock that made most GNR fans fall in love with them in the first place. In essence its a prog rock album.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #478 on: June 30, 2009, 11:32:38 AM »

People either like or dislike music.

There're grey areas.

for instance, say you don't like classical music very much. do you say classical music isn't good? I don't think so.

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #479 on: June 30, 2009, 11:45:28 AM »

Yes, there are definitely gray areas.  For example, I don't like Rush.  But I would never go as far as to say that they suck.  I know they are excellent musicians but they do nothing for me.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: