Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:48:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What is it people fail to understand about Chinese Democracy?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is it people fail to understand about Chinese Democracy?  (Read 179764 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #980 on: August 11, 2009, 04:32:38 PM »

All this talk about the damages of downloading and yet no one mentions the one and only GNR album sales triumph in the 2000s which is the Greatest Hits album.

At 4x platinum (and counting), given the amount of downloading of those songs on millions of college students' computers throughout the USA, it is miracle. It may also point to the effect that prior promotions of GNR's music during the heydays did to their legacy.

MNW

Maybe you need to consider that the Greatest Hits might be aimed at a different crowd? The casual music listener who doesn't own any other GN'R albums. People who might not even know how to download music illegally.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the record companies keep putting them out? Especially if they didn't sell?

Also, Greatest Hits is sold everywhere.

You don't need to go to an electronics store to find it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #981 on: August 14, 2009, 11:56:55 AM »

I agree with this. My problem is with illegal downloading. I feel that illegal downloading as well as the leaks hurt Chinese Democracy. I feel that labels shouldve anticipated the problem it would become and shouldve done more to protect the artists.

Of course they hurt. Why buy it when you can get it for free?

As well as the fact that the leaks took away the chance for the artist and/or label to plan how/when they wanted people to hear the material.

/jarmo
Which is exactly what ive been saying. People dont realize how much illegal downloading hurts artists. Besides robbing them of royalties it takes away money from the labels that might go to promotion or other things. While labels shouldve anticipated this long ago it is what it is. Its stealing.

In the end I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Does downloading hurt? Yes. Is it the sole reason that the industry is in the shape it is? I don't believe so.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #982 on: August 15, 2009, 07:12:41 AM »

All this talk about the damages of downloading and yet no one mentions the one and only GNR album sales triumph in the 2000s which is the Greatest Hits album.

At 4x platinum (and counting), given the amount of downloading of those songs on millions of college students' computers throughout the USA, it is miracle. It may also point to the effect that prior promotions of GNR's music during the heydays did to their legacy.

MNW

Maybe you need to consider that the Greatest Hits might be aimed at a different crowd? The casual music listener who doesn't own any other GN'R albums. People who might not even know how to download music illegally.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the record companies keep putting them out? Especially if they didn't sell?

Also, Greatest Hits is sold everywhere.

You don't need to go to an electronics store to find it.

/jarmo

If you add to this Spotify, where you can hear whole albums with a 30sec ad every 4 songs or so, who isn't going to legallly hear music for free to even consider buying.?

The casual listener doesn't buy albums of bands that often, prefering to cram hit upon hit onto their iPods or whatever with titles such as "Now that's what I call music....." What is now about 87? I remember the first one, brought out in 1983 (ish...) Yes they know the hits and sing along all day to the radio, free to air music site like spotify will improve the options to buy or not to buy, but I think its more likely to be not to buy, they've heard it once and can hear it again for free. The live show is now the cash cow for all bands.

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #983 on: August 15, 2009, 07:27:55 AM »

Also concider this. Recently I went to the Isle of Wight Festival, 40th anniversery show is next year Axl  Wink. Having heard a number of "hits" I used Spotify to brush up on the tracks the bands I wanted to watch using this. Pendulum is one act that I listen to once a day at least because of this, the new Prodigy album also was bought because of this. I honestly believe that if people are going to shows based on a few hits, checking out the rest of the material will follow too, more album sales/downloads? I'd say possibly. More bums on seats, definately.

Recorded music is going to be the loss leader pretty soon, if not now. The shows and the willingness to tour is where the acts make the money now, which leaves another question. Do you do say 20 uk gigs from Scotland to the Isle of Wight for say ?30 a throwor do you say do 2 shows at Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham, Wembley and the Isle of Wight and charge more for the exclusiveness of the shows for say ?70 a time? In the case of the latter, U2, Pink Floyd, Madonna, Kylie and a few others will go this way. I don't believe ATM Guns n' Roses would be able to command those prices  Undecided

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: