Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:17:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  CD returns to Best Buy ad...$7.99
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD returns to Best Buy ad...$7.99  (Read 25992 times)
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 04:27:45 AM »

I know as of around Feb or so it was at 560k

the last 5 months its averaged about 4k a week

so that would be about another 100k

that is where I got my figure.
Buddy it can't be near 4,000 a week. The lower end albums on the Billboard 200 are near 2-3,000 a week and ChiDem hasn't been on that chart in months. So,no offense but your 4k a week for the last 5 months is way off.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 04:46:21 AM »

If you log into Billboard you can see the album had sold 2.6 million as of February this year, worldwide (537,000 in the US).
I highly doubt that another 3.4 million has been shifted since then. In fact, I'd be surprised if they're up to 3 million sales overall.

All the same, these are very respectable figures all things considered.

And there goes the challenger...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 06:44:00 AM »

I know as of around Feb or so it was at 560k

the last 5 months its averaged about 4k a week

so that would be about another 100k

that is where I got my figure.
Buddy it can't be near 4,000 a week. The lower end albums on the Billboard 200 are near 2-3,000 a week and ChiDem hasn't been on that chart in months. So,no offense but your 4k a week for the last 5 months is way off.

in 6 months it could've moved 120k copies. even if it was just 2 a week that would put it near 600k

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 08:28:35 AM »

Sorry, the 6 million figure is a joke. There is no way in hell it has sold close to that. If it had, it would be a huge industry story - like AC/DC's Black Ice for instance.

Face facts, what Lord Kayoss said is true. There is zero buzz for this album anymore, and Best Buy are trying to shift dead stock. I have also seen it in some shops in Europe for 8 or 9 euros (half what it retailed when it came out).

You can't blame record stores for thinking that stockpiling copies of this album would be a wise investment. Like most of the fans, they probably naively expected that the 'monumental promotion' we were told about would actually come to fruition, and that would include singles, videos and touring in order to sustain sales and interest over several months.

And I still don't understand at all why people think 'Best Buy are morons' or that they somehow sabotaged the album's success. Does anyone care to elaborate on that?

Best Buy as a whole may not be morons but the store I went to yesterday certainly was.  If you're running a sale on an album that's EXCLUSIVE to your store, it should be noted in multiple places within the store if not at least at the direct point of purchase.  And the cashiers should be aware of the sale price, not oblivious.  I'll be visiting a few more Best Buys throughout the week on my travels for work to see if there are any other moronic Best Buys here in CT, and I'm sure there are.  But as someone pointed out, some Best Buys have put forth the necessary effort.  So it's not across the board, I just wonder how bad it is.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 09:02:48 AM »

Best Buy are morons.
So true they piss me off for what they did to CD

Me n' Axl disagree with youze two.

The Billboard Q&A: Axl Rose
Billboard February 14, 2009 issue
Quote from: Axl
Best Buy has been great.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=169

As for the Bestbuy employees, I can only speak for myself and in my experiences with them in relation to Chinese Democracy they've been great!!!  (great = enough FREE bestbuy $$$ to be able to buy two sets of the remastered The Replacements cds)  Grin

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2009, 09:23:13 AM »

Best Buy are morons.
So true they piss me off for what they did to CD

Me n' Axl disagree with youze two.

The Billboard Q&A: Axl Rose
Billboard February 14, 2009 issue
Quote from: Axl
Best Buy has been great.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=169

As for the Bestbuy employees, I can only speak for myself and in my experiences with them in relation to Chinese Democracy they've been great!!!  (great = enough FREE bestbuy $$$ to be able to buy two sets of the remastered The Replacements cds)  Grin

Yeah but Axl probably doesn't deal with the same level of bby employee regular customers do lol.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 09:53:30 AM »

What it boils down to is best buy corporate has given the best buy boxes the tools to do very well.

The boxes have varied in their success/commitment/efforts to sell the product.

My SIL works for one.  She says, by and large, the rank and file have been worthless in selling it.  Regional Managers have asked for displays, asked for standees to be erected, etc.  IF it gets done, 2 days later it's been undone...usually by some idiot associate who wants to make more room for the lastest pop princess (or prince).

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2009, 12:08:29 PM »

I thought it was certified Platinum in the states?

Is this just units shipped to BB then?
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 04:21:48 PM »

I thought it was certified Platinum in the states?

Is this just units shipped to BB then?

Platinum is units shipped, not sold
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2009, 05:10:37 PM »

Until somebody credible says otherwise, it's a Best Buy exclusive in the USA.

/jarmo

For whatever it's worth, it's not listed on Best Buy's website under the "Shop All Exclusives" link.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat76200050035&type=category
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 05:30:43 PM »

It isn't BB obligation to tour,do press, release a video etc

their job is strictly buying the units and giving them the shelf space.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2009, 06:27:18 PM »

Granted, but you'd think when they have a sale on something that is exclusive to their store they'd make the customer aware of that within the store.  I went into ANOTHER Best Buy today and yet again there was no indication that it was on sale for $7.99.  They were all tagged $11.99, in their original home under Guns N' Roses.  None were placed in a sales or featured rack.  Yet they had a whole endcap of Michael Jackson.  I'll let that slide since the man died and he's a cultural icon.  But they also had an endcap full of Van Halen CD's to coincide with Chickenfoot's new release. 

How about a little love for Guns N' Roses?  Would it pain them to have an endcap of GNR CD's prominently featuring Chinese Democracy, seeing as how it's a Best Buy exclusive?  I don't get it.  Do they even want to sell copies?  Why put it on sale if you're not going to publicize it within the store?  So far I've gone to 2 Best Buys in CT and both have ignored the fact that it's on sale.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2009, 06:41:23 PM »

Until somebody credible says otherwise, it's a Best Buy exclusive in the USA.

/jarmo

For whatever it's worth, it's not listed on Best Buy's website under the "Shop All Exclusives" link.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat76200050035&type=category

Thats worth nothing in this context
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 10:31:43 PM »

Yeah but Axl probably doesn't deal with the same level of bby employee regular customers do lol.

True.

Axl probably only thinks bestbuy is great because he heard that they gave ME all that FREE bestbuy$$$  Grin

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »

People aren't going to suddenly buy a 10 month old album because they see it for sale. Perhaps if they saw the band on TV, or on tour...

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2009, 03:34:07 PM »

Granted, but you'd think when they have a sale on something that is exclusive to their store they'd make the customer aware of that within the store.  I went into ANOTHER Best Buy today and yet again there was no indication that it was on sale for $7.99.  They were all tagged $11.99, in their original home under Guns N' Roses.  None were placed in a sales or featured rack.  Yet they had a whole endcap of Michael Jackson.  I'll let that slide since the man died and he's a cultural icon.  But they also had an endcap full of Van Halen CD's to coincide with Chickenfoot's new release. 

How about a little love for Guns N' Roses?  Would it pain them to have an endcap of GNR CD's prominently featuring Chinese Democracy, seeing as how it's a Best Buy exclusive?  I don't get it.  Do they even want to sell copies?  Why put it on sale if you're not going to publicize it within the store?  So far I've gone to 2 Best Buys in CT and both have ignored the fact that it's on sale.

Maybe it's not on sale at every location? Best Buy has been scaling back their shelf space for music for awhile now and I'd say they've moved on in regards to CD especially.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »

Sorry, the 6 million figure is a joke. There is no way in hell it has sold close to that. If it had, it would be a huge industry story - like AC/DC's Black Ice for instance.

Face facts, what Lord Kayoss said is true. There is zero buzz for this album anymore, and Best Buy are trying to shift dead stock. I have also seen it in some shops in Europe for 8 or 9 euros (half what it retailed when it came out).

You can't blame record stores for thinking that stockpiling copies of this album would be a wise investment. Like most of the fans, they probably naively expected that the 'monumental promotion' we were told about would actually come to fruition, and that would include singles, videos and touring in order to sustain sales and interest over several months.

And I still don't understand at all why people think 'Best Buy are morons' or that they somehow sabotaged the album's success. Does anyone care to elaborate on that?

I'M Sorry 4 You...

Wait or 31 December 2009...

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2009, 05:07:26 PM »

It was stated that there were 2.6 million copies sold wordwide (if I'm not wrong) in march, and like 700.000 copies in the U.S.

My guess is CD sold 3.000.000 copies worldwide, in it can double that ammount with one or two videoclips and a tour (things that I personally do not ''need'' at all, all I want is in the physical CD, which I consider it to be the best GNR album and one of the best in rock history)

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »

I'M Sorry 4 You...

Wait or 31 December 2009...

smoking

Be sorry for yourself and your inability to distinguish between real, certified sales figures (2.6 million) and fanboy wet dreams (6 million). No matter how much you worship the band, it won't change the sales figures.

Wait for Dec. 31st? I'm done with waiting on any dates regarding this band that its fans, detractors and representatives pull out of their asses. If something happens with GNR anytime, great, I'll pick it up, buy a ticket, whatever.

The mystique 'something might possibly maybe just possibly could maybe happen on this date but maybe not" shit got old years ago.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:30:37 PM by TomFriend » Logged

King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2009, 08:03:34 PM »

I'm glad to see it advertised, but it's also probably the last time.

I'm sure they're disappointed it didn't sell as well as they'd hoped. It's not like they're sitting on a steaming pile of shit, you know? It's a good record!

I don't blame them. Whatever promotion there was came from them, so if they're a little ticked, they have the right to be.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: