Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:43:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227823 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Picks His Favorite Riffs; Video
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Picks His Favorite Riffs; Video  (Read 1468 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: November 23, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »

VIDEO: Slash picks his favourite riffs

Plus riff-writing tips from the GN'R and VR star

Chris Vinnicombe, Mon 23 Nov 2009

The morning after a heavy night at the star-studded Classic Rock Awards, we caught up with former Guns N' Roses, current Velvet Revolver and solo guitar star Slash to talk riffs. And he knows his riff onions. After all, he's written some of the greatest of all time.

Who better then to kick off Riff Week on MusicRadar and tell us precisely what makes a killer guitar riff?

"A killer riff? something that's memorable, something that digs in, something that obviously has the right note selection to make something just sound fucking attractive, I guess.

"It's got to have a great sound and it's got to have a great attack. There's a lot of different elements but I think the most important thing is something that's really catchy and something that sticks with you."

What's your favourite riff of all time?

"I was thinking Whole Lotta Love. I remember when that record came out ? fuck, I was a little kid. But you know, Black Dog is another one. Zeppelin had probably the biggest cache of killer riffs, more than any other band, y' know. I could go on? there's so many great riffs it's hard to go, this is the one."

Which of your own riffs are you most proud of?

"I've always dug Paradise City, I always thought it was great. Rocket Queen was something that I was pretty fond of. And 'Jungle's great. Everybody seems to like Sweet Child O' Mine and that's a pretty cool riff, but I'd probably opt for Welcome To The Jungle over Sweet Child O' Mine."

Check out the video below for much more, including Slash's advice for aspiring riff writers.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/video-slash-picks-his-favourite-riffs-227423

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 02:30:08 PM »

A few comments here:

SLASH Picks His Favorite Riffs - Nov. 24, 2009

MusicRadar.com recently caught up with former GUNS N' ROSES and current VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash to talk riffs.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=130935

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »

Is it a coincidence that some of the greatest riffs ever come from guys who also had great drummers? this is where drumming is so underrated.

I had the pleasure of playing with this really awesome throwback style drummer *reminded me a bit of Tommy Lee/Adler combo* and I could write some incredible riffs with his drumming, way better than I can do just sitting around by myself.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 04:34:36 PM »

Is it a coincidence that some of the greatest riffs ever come from guys who also had great drummers? this is where drumming is so underrated.

I had the pleasure of playing with this really awesome throwback style drummer *reminded me a bit of Tommy Lee/Adler combo* and I could write some incredible riffs with his drumming, way better than I can do just sitting around by myself.

It's cause it's all about the groove.. you get inspired Cool
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: