Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:47:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Robin Finck
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin Finck  (Read 259825 times)
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #640 on: February 04, 2017, 03:57:45 AM »

Wasn't there also supposedly a fully re-recorded Appetite with that group of players?
if I remember correctly, Tommy said in 1999 they've already re-recorded AFD THREE times. Shocked

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #641 on: February 05, 2017, 08:12:50 PM »

Unless someone like Bumblefoot (who I thought always seemed pretty down to earth and in touch with fans and their perception of things, writes a 'tell-all' book I doubt we'll ever know what really went on in the studio all those years and behind the scenes. I doubt he or anyone else would do that- but I'd love to read it!

Bumblefoot came in way later though.

Josh Freese has been pretty open during interviews, and has told a lot around the hiring of Buckethead.

I was under the impression Bumblefoot and Finck were in the band at the same time. Am I wrong about that?

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
zombux
Legend

« Reply #642 on: February 06, 2017, 03:14:26 AM »

I was under the impression Bumblefoot and Finck were in the band at the same time. Am I wrong about that?
you mean Buckethead, not Bumblefoot, right? the story was like this:
1. Matt Sorum brings Robin Finck into GNR, trying to force Paul Huge out of the band and make Robin a rhytm guitarist together with Slash
2. Axl likes Robin and because Slash is on his way out of the band anyway, he makes him a lead guitarist
3. after 2 years, in 1999, Robin's contract expires and he's out of GNR, rejoins NIN and goes on tour with them
4. GNR are in search of a new lead gutarist, there are a few auditions (amongst others, Richard Fortus was invited), but meanwhile, Axl met Buckethead and stopped all auditions
5. later in 2000, Axl realises Buckethead is a great lead guitarist, but kind of a stunt guy, who needs one more guitar to "anchor" the stuff, and because Robin was free, he rejoined GNR and the 3-guitar thing was born
6. when Paul Huge expressed his dislike for big touring, he stepped down early 2002 and Richard Fortus finally joined GNR
7. Buckethead leaves early 2004 and GNR has 2 guitars again
8. Bumblefoot was talking to the band right after Buckethead left, but somehow it only happened right before the 2006 tour.
9. Robin Finck leaves GNR in 2009, later replaced by DJ Ashba
10. Bumblefoot is "not sure if he's still in the band", and finally in 2015, DJ Ashba leaves and Bumblefoot confirms he's out as well.
11. Slash rejoins GNR.

why don't you finally read the Chinese Whispers?!? it's ALL there!

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #643 on: February 09, 2017, 07:45:10 AM »

To be fair, your post pretty much sums it up all already. Tongue

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #644 on: February 22, 2017, 06:29:42 PM »

1. Matt Sorum brings Robin Finck into GNR, trying to force Paul Huge out of the band and make Robin a rhytm guitarist together with Slash
2. Axl likes Robin and because Slash is on his way out of the band anyway, he makes him a lead guitarist
3. after 2 years, in 1999, Robin's contract expires and he's out of GNR, rejoins NIN and goes on tour with them
4. GNR are in search of a new lead gutarist, there are a few auditions (amongst others, Richard Fortus was invited), but meanwhile, Axl met Buckethead and stopped all auditions
5. later in 2000, Axl realises Buckethead is a great lead guitarist, but kind of a stunt guy, who needs one more guitar to "anchor" the stuff, and because Robin was free, he rejoined GNR and the 3-guitar thing was born
6. when Paul Huge expressed his dislike for big touring, he stepped down early 2002 and Richard Fortus finally joined GNR
8. Bumblefoot was talking to the band right after Buckethead left, but somehow it only happened right before the 2006 tour.
10. Bumblefoot is "not sure if he's still in the band", and finally in 2015, DJ Ashba leaves and Bumblefoot confirms he's out as well.
11. Slash rejoins GNR.

I will! Promise!

Looking at your breakdown though- that shows Bumblefoot and Finck WERE in the band at the same time, or am I missing something? Bumblefoot joined in 2006, Finck left 2009?

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #645 on: February 22, 2017, 06:54:43 PM »

Yeah they were in the band together for those couple of years. I'm guessing the more interesting stories and events occurred before Bumble joined the band though.
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #646 on: March 15, 2017, 07:42:06 PM »

https://www.lewitt-audio.com/endorser/robin-finck

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
soverysadaboutus
Opening Act

« Reply #647 on: March 22, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »

Robin's officially back with NIN for their upcoming tour as per their slightly jumbled lineup announcement: https://www.instagram.com/p/BR5xZjhA9jP/

A new interview with Robin was also posted by Laced Records yesterday: http://lacedwithwax.com/from-nin-to-noct-guitarist-robin-finck-on-composing-for-video-games/
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #648 on: March 24, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »

Thanks. Nice to see he likes Limbo. I love that indie game. Smiley

Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #649 on: March 26, 2017, 09:01:59 PM »

11. Slash rejoins GNR.

Matt Sorum brought Robin into the band?

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
zombux
Legend

« Reply #650 on: March 27, 2017, 03:05:22 PM »

"Matt Sorum introduced Rose to former Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck, advising that he would make a great foil for Slash - who could then be restored to the line-up." (Q Magazine, 05/01)
"The lead guitar spot remains open and Slash's return is not out of the question. However, according to our source, the guitarist and Rose haven't spoken at all this year." (Addicted to Noise, 03/19/97)
"Axl had come to simply see the circus (laughs) and he and I had never met and he didn't know I was there. One of the guys Axl was with in the grandstands pointed and said (in hushed excited voice), 'Axl, you see that guitar player down there? That's Robin from Nine Inch Nails.' ... Axl was telling me this after the fact. And he just kind of scratched his head and was sitting there thinking, 'What is he doing here?'" (Robin, Ultimate Guitar, 01/17/14)
"I told Axl to see him and he said 'That's our guitar player,'" says Sorum. "I said, 'Bring in Robin to play alongside Slash,' but Axl said, 'I want him to play lead.'" (Spin, 07/99)

"I got a call from Axl Rose [while in Cirque du Soleil], who I never met at the time. He invited me to the studio as he was writing and recording songs. It was an invitation for a casual listen. Eventually, after about eight weeks, we started playing together." (Robin Finck, 2000)
Axl called Robin no later than mid-January, as he was already playing with the band when Moby came aboard. From 01/29/97 onwards, Cirque du Soleil's Quidam was based in Orange County, between their two stays in Santa Monica, enabling Robin to divide his time between GNR and the circus.
"At that time Axl was no longer playing with Slash but the rest of the original guys were still together. ... He invited me to play with he and the rest of the Guns N' Roses guys at the studio space they were kind of housed in. It was a welcomed opportunity just to play that one day. ... We played Guns songs and some cover songs." (Robin, Ultimate Guitar, 01/17/14)
"I played with Robin a few times and he's a great guy." (Duff, Hard Force, 07/99)
"Eventually I was bringing my ADAT tapes I was working on in my apartment."  (Robin, Ultimate Guitar, 01/17/14)
"We played some of my songs and finally I left the circus and was doing records with Axl, Josh and Tommy, and what would have been a new Guns N' Roses, if you will." (Robin Finck, 2000)
http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3390

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:07:08 PM by zombux » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: