Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 09:08:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses to headline Download 2010?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses to headline Download 2010?  (Read 29091 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 07:48:29 PM »

I noticed on NIghtrain how u couldn't hear Bumble's solo... was that just a bad boot or the sound at the concert?

I always wondered that about Inland Invasion. The streaming sound online was TERRIBLE mix. I assume it was much better in person.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »

I noticed on NIghtrain how u couldn't hear Bumble's solo... was that just a bad boot or the sound at the concert?

I always wondered that about Inland Invasion. The streaming sound online was TERRIBLE mix. I assume it was much better in person.

Oh by golly yes!
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2009, 08:08:50 PM »

People judging shows based on Youtube clips and bootlegs. Priceless.

If you weren't there and saw the whole thing, it's kinda pointless.

/jarmo

implying that people are only allowed to judge (parts from) shows when they are there themselves is some out of line, Mr. Jarmo, and can end in very subjective results based on memories mostly only. i'm not saying that the whole live experience should be avoided, way not!! i'd rather support people seeing multiple shows each tour of their fave bands!! but still you can get some facts out of unofficial video and audio recordings. also keep in mind that there are multiple wayyyyy better quality recordings circulating (compared to that youtube-clip) but youtube-clipping is just so easy to use these days. as for the given youtube-clip above it was posted by me only because someone above was praising the "better"-performance vocally there: yes, vocally some ok to me. you can also see Axl there walking pissed, almost not performing opticwise. and if now someone "who was there" is telling me "during better he ran like a panther all the time" then....eh, just not true.
any yes, "nightrain" originally was put on the official gnr site and didnt had Bumble's solo for whatever reasons  Huh

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:18:06 PM by Limulus » Logged

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2009, 08:45:42 PM »

But nobody made any claims that weren't true. And yes it's funny seeing the same people who whine about the setlists are judging performances based on bootlegs... Both things have one thing in common, the person wasn't at the show. So if you want to continue the "review" of your "virtual Download experiene", I suggest you find another thread since this one's about a show that hasn't happened yet and we don't know if GN'R will be there for you to review.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2009, 03:24:03 AM »

.... sounded like they were supposed to....
/jarmo

But nobody made any claims that weren't true.
/jarmo

you did! Axl's voice at download'06 did not sound as it was supposed to.
lets hope for them performing at Download'10 with tv broadcast, official soundboard audio so that people going there have something nice to re-live their memories as others aint to judge  ok

Re-Union time, baby!!
wadey
Legend

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2009, 03:35:19 AM »

i was at the barriers at Donny 06' and it sounded pretty good to me.
i admit ive been to better performances, but in general they gave a very good and very acceptable performance and if 2010 is only half as good then ill be happy

to be fair though ive seen the boots and they dont do it justice, the channel 4  pro-shots were fucking awesome though and i think most would agree headbanger

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2009, 06:18:12 AM »

I remember Nightrain sounding one of the best songs of the night - for the whole band.  Only thing that might have made the sound a bit weird was a plane flying overhead (which was timely for the "flying like an aeroplane" bits) near the start.  Apart from a few technical problems at the start of the show (and they did start the show early) and a few dickheads in the crowd, this show really did kick in to be amazing - I recall Axl's vocals being in fine form from where I was standing.
If GnR were to do a festival in the UK, it would prob be Download or Reading/Leeds - though they have done both in the past (not Reading though).  Of course I'd go - but personally prefer their own gigs to a festival. 
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2009, 06:33:29 AM »

I remember Nightrain sounding one of the best songs of the night - for the whole band.  Only thing that might have made the sound a bit weird was a plane flying overhead (which was timely for the "flying like an aeroplane" bits) near the start.  Apart from a few technical problems at the start of the show (and they did start the show early) and a few dickheads in the crowd, this show really did kick in to be amazing - I recall Axl's vocals being in fine form from where I was standing.
If GnR were to do a festival in the UK, it would prob be Download or Reading/Leeds
- though they have done both in the past (not Reading though).  Of course I'd go - but personally prefer their own gigs to a festival. 

I know this sounds bias because I want them to play here, but the Isle of Wight festival would be as close to doing an "own show" as any festival in the UK. The mix is so varied that by and large the people wanting to be there tend to watch the bands or they clear off. John Giddings, the promoter has done this as a deliberate ploy to create a great atmosphere and in the main it has worked. This is why I'd love Axl and Co come to Festival Island, you'll get the knockers whatever festival you go to, but the IOW is a holiday destination and people really do get into that mind-set, come on Axl you know it makes sense.

In regards to seeing them playing their own gig, I take that as read, most shows are more intimate in front of their fans, and the fans generally respond like-wise.

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2009, 08:19:30 AM »

.... sounded like they were supposed to....
/jarmo

But nobody made any claims that weren't true.
/jarmo

you did! Axl's voice at download'06 did not sound as it was supposed to.

Read what I said instead of pulling stuff out of your ass. I was talking about how the airplanes overpowered GN'R and then it was fixed and it sounded like a proper GN'R concert again.

Instead of hearing airplanes, we heard GN'R.

Have you noticed that only people who weren't there are the ones making claims about the quality of the show?

As usual people who were there had a great time while others who sat at home are telling them the band or Axl wasn't on form.....  Roll Eyes

Like I said, your comments have nothing to do with Download Festival 2010.....

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:24:15 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »

you can tell which members really hate that GnR are about to go on tour. 
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »

I didnt attend any of the 2001-2007 shows.

with that said, all i can say about the download performance is from what I've heard on bootlegs.

My sensation is that Axl's vocals were irregular that night. We have two songs with the same high quality source: My Michelle, where Axl's voice is simply outstanding, and Paradise City, where Axl's voice is not in top form. I really dont think I need to have been there to realise this. Nightrain has a very low bitrate compared to these two songs, but you can still notice that Axl's voice is again in top form.

We have three pro-shot versions of ''It's So Easy'' in 2006: Roskilde, Rock Am Ring and Inland Invasion. Axl's voice was flawless in the denmark and the america shows, and not that good in Rock Am Ring. I think we can only precisely tell if Axl's voice is good or not if we are comparing the same song recorded in a proffesional way like these three were.

And you dont actually need to have attended the shows to notice that Axl's voice evolved a lot from 2002 to 2006, in the long term of 2006, and from 2006 to 2007.

judging a performance from a shitty audience recording is not the smartest thing to do, i know it. but sometimes (or ALL the times) its the only thing we can do if you're unable to attend the shows like it's my case.

anyway, Axl's vocals, even in their worst form (jungle/PC at VMA's, for example), are better than 90% of other rock singer's voices.

by the way: Axl's vocals are the only thing that can be improved from this band onstage. Instrumentally, this band is Brazil's football team from 1970... a truly dream team.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2009, 05:47:57 PM »

What you and others who like to point out the "form" don't realize is outside factors.

For example, playing outside where you constantly get dust that's kicked off the ground by the crowd blown into your face, is different than playing inside in an arena.

Now I'm not an expert, but I'd assume sometimes these kinds of things matter. Yet none of you ever consider these things, it's just "he sounded better here and there".

The whole "his voice wasn't on top form" is focusing on the wrong thing in the wrong thread at the wrong time (three years too late).

/jarmo

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »

when there is a (rumour of a) show at the same location again - off course people dig out old memories and will compare with previous performances there, as they also did in this topic.
and off course there are often other circumstances responsible for different sound and/or stage performance at points or in general....but thats part of a live show and doesnt change its still the end result, the performance, people have all their rights to (partly) raise their opinion about.

peace out and thumbs up for a possbile Download 2010 return!!!  beer

Re-Union time, baby!!
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2009, 07:53:06 AM »

What you and others who like to point out the "form" don't realize is outside factors.

For example, playing outside where you constantly get dust that's kicked off the ground by the crowd blown into your face, is different than playing inside in an arena.

Now I'm not an expert, but I'd assume sometimes these kinds of things matter. Yet none of you ever consider these things, it's just "he sounded better here and there".

The whole "his voice wasn't on top form" is focusing on the wrong thing in the wrong thread at the wrong time (three years too late).

/jarmo

Everyone has good and bad nights, and from song to song sometimes. Even Axl!  Wink
Christian
VIP

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2009, 08:34:27 AM »

Bad boot, for sure.

You can hear the solo in the Axl's ear monitor boot
variant
Headliner

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2009, 08:36:27 AM »

Not sure why everyone's arguing about Download 2006 in a thread about Download 2010 which is a show that might not even happen.

If you want my thoughts (and you probably don't): my money's on Gn'R doing Sonisphere next year. New touring festival that Metallica did last year. I think it would be perfect for guns...http://www.sonispherefestivals.com/

Wouldn't be surprised if they do a few other european festivals too (maybe Rock Am Ring or NovaRock) but for some reason I just don't think they'll do Download.
Chinese Monopoly
Rocker

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2009, 09:06:58 AM »

Guns N' Roses and several other bands are "favourites" to perform at these festivals almost every year. I wouldn't read too much into it unless we have concrete evidence.

wadey
Legend

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »

its pretty obvious to me that download is only 3 days and they have mentioned 4 top acts metalica, van halen, ad/dc and guns
im pretty sure all of them wouldnt want anything less than top spot

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2009, 04:06:23 PM »

Its hard to tell whether guns would get a better reception this time around. It depends on the days line up. Just look at MCRs 2007 reception, Korn had finished, n ithink Megadeth were on before them. They got raped by bottles as they came on.

The crowd was quite hostile at 2006, there were riots afterwards also. So it could of just been the crowd, rather than the actual performance. Ive seen a few pro shot clips shown on TV from that show n i thought it sounded like a good show. Considering the band were pretty pissed off. Imagine if Axl had done vocals like he did at that show where someone hit him with a coin at the start. Seen a bootleg of that, so fuckin funny when he half arsed the intro to Jungle then told the band to stop.

html sucks
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2009, 04:20:24 PM »

Its hard to tell whether guns would get a better reception this time around. It depends on the days line up. Just look at MCRs 2007 reception, Korn had finished, n ithink Megadeth were on before them. They got raped by bottles as they came on.

That's possibly because they're an emo band playing a metal festival.

GN'R isn't nowhere near that genre.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: