Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:30:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227806 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Tell us about your experience in a GNR concert!
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell us about your experience in a GNR concert!  (Read 3630 times)
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2023, 05:07:48 PM »

December 6, 2002 - Philadelphia, PA

Even thought it was "Guns N' Roses" in name only, I never got a chance to see the real band in their prime.  So I was pumped as hell to see Axl, finally, in whatever form.  They had played the night before in Madison Square Garden to rave reviews.  But of course, as we all know, on this night...Axl, he no show up.  I was never so disgusted with the man.

November 26, 2011 - Camden, NJ

Now, we are really in the Island Of Misfit Toys Era.  You had to suspend some serious disbelief to look at a stage populated by the likes of DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot and say, "yep...that's Guns N' Roses, alright." Also a bit of a downer to see the onetime biggest band in the world in what was basically an amphitheater.  But no album in 20 years and a scab band, this was all they could swing in those days.  Still, at least Axl showed up.  Hit the stage past 11PM and played a good show.

July 14, 2016 - Philadelphia, PA

The concert referenced in my sig here...it was this night.  Best concert of my life.  Band took the stage just before about 10.  And it was still 90 plus degrees.  But it was an honest to goodness sold out STADIUM, which is how it should be for a band on the level of a GNR.  And the crowd was so, so into it.  So many of us long suffering fans that never thought we'd see anything approaching the real band again.  Seeing Slash onstage playing 'Estranged' was truly magical.

October 8, 2017 - Philadelphia, PA

This was a Sunday.  So after watching football all day, I roll downtown to see the longest GNR show of my life.  They played over 30 songs.  3 hours.  And, best of all, no opening act.  They just went out there, on time, and crushed it.  Another great show.

BONUS SHOW : September 20, 2016 - Philadelphia, PA (AXL/DC)

As amazing as Axl was with GNR just 2 months prior, this was the best I ever saw him perform.  You can find this show on YouTube.  Axl sounds out of this world.  Expected to see 2016 Axl Rose and 1992-93 Axl showed up for me that night.  Loudest concert of my life but also probably the coolest.  Definitely the most unique.

My story is the same as yours having gotten into GNR around 93 so didn't get to see them in their prime. My first time seeing them was that same year 2002 i saw them at MSG I can't remember if it was before or after your show but didn't that tour abruptly end shortly after this?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2023, 07:58:31 AM »

What makes a great show, better than another great show? I often see people comment on the setlist not being good enough. And yet, I see a lot of fans having a great fucking time at the shows. So, what's your "requirements" for a great show?

Carlos Gunner obviously needs Izzy, but what about the rest?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2023, 09:42:32 AM »

Ive seen them 5 times the band themselves were always on point and good. The variables were other factors.

My last time seeing them was probably the worst, this was in 2017 in Miami. I went with a group of people and I bought a single seat , we all bought tickets separately so we were a bit scattered. I was crammed in the middle of a row and two guys om my right were already drunk and the guy next to me was a bigger guy and had to scream at about every note played and held his arms in the air so wide he blocked my view partially. A little over halfway thru the set they got kicked out by security. So the rest of the show was better. 

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2023, 11:50:20 AM »

Ive seen them 5 times the band themselves were always on point and good. The variables were other factors.

My last time seeing them was probably the worst, this was in 2017 in Miami. I went with a group of people and I bought a single seat , we all bought tickets separately so we were a bit scattered. I was crammed in the middle of a row and two guys om my right were already drunk and the guy next to me was a bigger guy and had to scream at about every note played and held his arms in the air so wide he blocked my view partially. A little over halfway thru the set they got kicked out by security. So the rest of the show was better. 

That was also a hot and humid show. Not like Chicago on the last tour, but not far off.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2023, 04:14:09 AM »

What makes a great show, better than another great show? I often see people comment on the setlist not being good enough. And yet, I see a lot of fans having a great fucking time at the shows. So, what's your "requirements" for a great show?

Carlos Gunner obviously needs Izzy, but what about the rest?

/jarmo

Personally I find it hard to articulate it properly.

There are just some shows that have 'it' the band might not be note perfect, the vocals can be hit and miss, and it can still be a great show. In the same way I've seen note perfect performances by bands and come away without feeling like it's been anything special at all.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2023, 04:07:15 PM »

GNR Oslo  1993

SLASH SNAKEPIT Kalvøya Norway 1995

VELVET REVOLVER Oslo 2004

GNR Oslo 2006

SLASH & friends (Ozzy, Ronny Wood, John 5) Kristiansand 2009

GNR Stavanger 2022

GNR Oslo 2023

Best ones the first and the last 😊

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2023, 07:03:27 AM »

Personally I find it hard to articulate it properly.

There are just some shows that have 'it' the band might not be note perfect, the vocals can be hit and miss, and it can still be a great show. In the same way I've seen note perfect performances by bands and come away without feeling like it's been anything special at all.

I think it might be more than just the show itself. I mean, imagine the difference between going to a show on a Saturday night compared to a Monday night. You'd assume a Saturday night crowd would be more energetic, right?

/jarmo

MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2023, 08:09:20 PM »

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi)
Guns opened for Aerosmith. Nobody cared anymore when Aerosmith took the stage.

6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa)
Pre-UYI release. Duff was drunk by the time he hit the stage. A fan cut his hand with a knife.

12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly)
Craziest 48 period of my life. GN'R didn't hit the stage until around fucking midnight both nights but then played for 2 1/2 hours or more if I remember correctly. After the first show I only got a couple hours of sleep, if that, then had to go back to work the next day. Then got home ever later after the second show......didn't get more than an hour then back to work. After work that second day, I slept 16 hours straight. GN'R Rocked. Gilby had replaced Izzy by then.

12-06-02 (Philly Riot)
Never got to see Bucket live with Guns. So disappointing....very depressing. I could feel the riot coming. MixMasterMike was booed off the stage. I saw some arena staff scurrying into some side doors so I grabbed my wife and a friend and started heading for the exits. On our way out we could hear toilets being ripped from bathroom walls. As we were exiting the parking lot, a sea of Philly Police and State Trooper Cars were flying in. THEY FUCKED THAT ARENA UP!

5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY)
Caught their very next show 4 years later. BEST CONCERT OF MY LIFE. Felt like GN'R were playing in a pub it was so up close and personal. AMAZING!

10-10-06 (MSG, NY)
Incredible show! Worth the drive from Philly to NY and back all in one night.

11-26-11 (Camden, NJ)
Seats were great. I thought DJ was phenomenal on stage in this show. Axl was AMAZING!

7-14-16 (Philly)
NOT IN THIS LIFETIME! The return of Slash & Duff. The live debut of SORRY! (I think). I was in the first row. Met jarmo  beer
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 10:16:32 AM by MrMojoRa » Logged

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2023, 07:39:09 AM »

7-14-16 (Philly)
NOT IN THIS LIFETIME! The return of Slash & Duff. The live debut of SORRY! (I think). I was in the first row. Met jarmo  beer

That was actually a great show!

Haven't been back to Philadelphia since 2017....

/jarmo

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: