Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:40:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228064 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Official Guns N Roses and Axl Twitter & Facebook updates
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 302 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official Guns N Roses and Axl Twitter & Facebook updates  (Read 1472816 times)
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #4760 on: March 29, 2016, 07:29:53 PM »

Josh Freese happens to be one of the most talented rock drummers around.

I get that, but that opinion was not formed based on his time locked in a cave with GnR. There are probably a handful of people who actually saw him in that setting. I get it... if a tree falls in the woods and there is no one who hear it, it still does make a sound. BUT when people have him 1st or 2nd on their list of GnR all-time drummers that is just taking that stance to be contrarian.

He was in the studio with Axl and Slash. I don't know if he ever toured with Slash. But he has worked with both of them.

Incorrect, he was in the band from 1997-1999, Slash was out in 1996. There may have been slight overlap with Duff for a few months in 1997 before he quit.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #4761 on: March 29, 2016, 07:36:52 PM »

Matt Stopped endorsing Ahead somewhere in the 90s.

None of other GNR drummers uses them to my knowledge

Could just be Ahead Grip Tape on another brand stick, you can buy them independent of each other.
Those are definitely ahead aluminum sticks,(i own a pair, dont like them) with grip tape on the top. I dont recall Frank using grip tape on his Vic Firth wood sticks.
Maybe he needs grip tape for the aluminum ones...

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #4762 on: March 29, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »

Josh Freese happens to be one of the most talented rock drummers around.

I get that, but that opinion was not formed based on his time locked in a cave with GnR. There are probably a handful of people who actually saw him in that setting. I get it... if a tree falls in the woods and there is no one who hear it, it still does make a sound. BUT when people have him 1st or 2nd on their list of GnR all-time drummers that is just taking that stance to be contrarian.

He was in the studio with Axl and Slash. I don't know if he ever toured with Slash. But he has worked with both of them.

Incorrect, he was in the band from 1997-1999, Slash was out in 1996. There may have been slight overlap with Duff for a few months in 1997 before he quit.

He has recorded the drum tracks for Slashs first solo album.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #4763 on: March 29, 2016, 07:53:53 PM »

He has recorded the drum tracks for Slashs first solo album.

I stand corrected, totally forgot about the 'Slash and Friends' album.
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #4764 on: March 30, 2016, 02:36:08 AM »

Those are definitely ahead aluminum sticks,(i own a pair, dont like them) with grip tape on the top. I dont recall Frank using grip tape on his Vic Firth wood sticks.

I don't know much about drum sticks and how they affect the sound of the drums, but could it be that Frank is using those sticks for a certain song (DTJ for example) to get closer to the sound Matt had during the UYI tour?

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #4765 on: March 30, 2016, 07:18:25 AM »

I don't know much about drum sticks and how they affect the sound of the drums, but could it be that Frank is using those sticks for a certain song (DTJ for example) to get closer to the sound Matt had during the UYI tour?
The main difference is the looks, durability and feel. Those aluminium sticks almost never break.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #4766 on: March 30, 2016, 07:20:28 AM »

The main difference is the looks, durability and feel. Those aluminium sticks almost never break.

Right, so my theory pretty much goes out the window Cheesy

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #4767 on: March 30, 2016, 07:48:57 AM »

I'm not in a place where I can save the image and post it, but Fernando posted a picture of Slash's Marshall Cabinet (with the top hat lady logo) on Instagram a few hours ago.
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #4768 on: March 30, 2016, 07:56:39 AM »

Right, so my theory pretty much goes out the window Cheesy
Well the sound is a TINY bit different, those Ahead sticks sound a little more ''plastic'' because of the plastic outer layer that protects the cymbals and the nylon tip.
I remember reading that Lars Ulrich prefers to use wood sticks on the studio, because he prefers the sound of them compared to the Ahead ones that he always uses live.
So in theory its possible but unlikely that its a sound preference.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4769 on: March 30, 2016, 12:05:04 PM »

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/t31.0-8/12513715_10154074811778069_3003391904161970121_o.jpg

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #4770 on: March 30, 2016, 12:06:20 PM »

That looks like it's mic'd up for recording...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4771 on: March 30, 2016, 12:10:08 PM »

I'm just curious, what's the difference when you mic up for recording versus mic up for a live show?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Homefuck
Opening Act

« Reply #4772 on: March 30, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »

I'm just curious, what's the difference when you mic up for recording versus mic up for a live show?

Well, that depends on your recording technique... But it's generally no difference. I'm a musician myself and this pic tells me that they're either recording (I doubt it) or now rehearsing on full scale-scene (loud as hell). There's no need to mic up TWO marshall's in a rehearsal room, you can easily blow your ears out by just putting one 4x12 Marshall stack on semi-full volume...
TVC15
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4773 on: March 30, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »

Sound. Mic placement changes the sound of an instrument on a recording. Some guitarists use a different placement for each song.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4774 on: March 30, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »

Well, that depends on your recording technique... But it's generally no difference. I'm a musician myself and this pic tells me that they're either recording (I doubt it) or now rehearsing on full scale-scene (loud as hell). There's no need to mic up TWO marshall's in a rehearsal room, you can easily blow your ears out by just putting one 4x12 Marshall stack on semi-full volume...

Could it be for the sound mixer to get a run-through on all channels that will be in use for the live shows?

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4775 on: March 30, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »

Sound. Mic placement changes the sound of an instrument on a recording. Some guitarists use a different placement for each song.

I have recorded some myself, so I am familiar, but I was just curious if you could tell from a picture if a cabinet is mic'd for recording or a live performance.

Sweetness is a virtue
Homefuck
Opening Act

« Reply #4776 on: March 30, 2016, 12:31:08 PM »

Could it be for the sound mixer to get a run-through on all channels that will be in use for the live shows?

Yeah, that's also a possibility
Homefuck
Opening Act

« Reply #4777 on: March 30, 2016, 12:37:22 PM »

I have recorded some myself, so I am familiar, but I was just curious if you could tell from a picture if a cabinet is mic'd for recording or a live performance.

No, not just by looking at how they've placed the mic's on the amp. But perhaps someone with a knowledge of mic's could tell if those mic's on the pic are more oftenly used in studio or on stage?
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4778 on: March 30, 2016, 12:38:20 PM »

No, not just by looking at how they've placed the mic's on the amp. But perhaps someone with a knowledge of mic's could tell if those mic's on the pic are more oftenly used in studio or on stage?

I recognize the SM57 at least.

Sweetness is a virtue
Homefuck
Opening Act

« Reply #4779 on: March 30, 2016, 12:41:27 PM »

I recognize the SM57 at least.

Yeah, that's not giving much away unfortunately (commonly used both live and in the studio), the mic that's vertically placed could perhaps give a clue?
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 302 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: