Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:45:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  SPIN - Guns N' Roses Kick Off 'Chinese Democracy' Tour
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPIN - Guns N' Roses Kick Off 'Chinese Democracy' Tour  (Read 3718 times)
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« on: January 14, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »

http://www.spin.com/articles/guns-n-roses-kick-chinese-democracy-tour

It took Axl Rose 17 years to finish Chinese Democracy, so to only have to wait a year or so to hear it live is a relatively brief delay in the world of Guns N' Roses.

And it's not like he and his current version of the band haven't been touring. Since 2001 they've hit the road for four legs of the Chinese Democracy Tour, supporting an album that didn't really exist, with the exception of the few tracks that leaked online over the years.

Wednesday night, the band kicked off the Canadian leg of their 2010 tour at Winnipeg's MTS Centre with a full-out rock'n'roll spectacle that requires 15 semis of equipment and eight buses for the band and crew. There are explosions and confetti, along with seven video screens and a massive mobile lighting rig.

The show itself featured more than 25 songs, covering most of the new album and almost all of the band's greatest hits over the course of two-hours and 50 minutes.

At 10:45 PM, a series of fireworks shot into the air to signal the beginning of the Gunners set before the opening chords of "Chinese Democracy" kicked in and Rose ran on stage zigzagging his way through his seven-piece band. He was in constant motion throughout the song, dressed in jeans, a white shirt and fedora, which he later removed in favor of his characteristic bandana.

More explosions marked the end of the opening number before the familiar riff to "Welcome to the Jungle" rang out and a huge roar erupted from the crowd of 7,500 as Rose screeched: "Do you know where you are? You're in the jungle, baby. You're gonna diiiiiieeee."

His distinctive nasally whine is still in fine form, as he displayed on the swaggering "It's So Easy" and the drug ode, "Mr. Brownstone," two classics from the band's 1987 debut, Appetite for Destruction.

At 47, Rose looked and sounded as good as ever, relying on TelePrompters to help out in case he forgot some lyrics. He even appeared to be enjoying himself, flashing the occasional smile and offering up some between-song banter with the crowd:

"It's nice to be with you tonight. It's nice of you to turn up the heat for us while we're here," he said, referencing the freakishly warm weather the city has been experiencing, before launching into the new "Shackler's Revenge," which gave his three guitarists --- Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, Richard Fortus and DJ Ashba--- a chance to show off some riffs ex-guitarist Slash didn't write and allowed Rose to head backstage, something he did often throughout the night.

Massive flames shot in the air and concussion bombs exploded for the band's wall-of-guitars cover of "Live and Let Die," before they slowed things down with "Sorry," "If the World," and "Street of Dreams," three new songs that show off Rose's two best-known emotions: ticked off and tender.

Then out came some more old faves, including "You Could Be Mine," "Sweet Child O' Mine," and "November Rain," featuring Rose playing a grand piano at centre stage. Each song was given extra heft by the seven musicians on stage, each of whom got his own solo.

The paranoid bluster of "Out Ta Get Me," a cover of Bob Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," and the metal-blues drinking anthem "Night Train" finished the main 130-minute set before the band returned for a six-song encore, highlighted by "Rocket Queen," "Patience" and customary show closer "Paradise City."

Then came more confetti, and explosions, and a last bit of the genial Axl: "Have a good night, be safe. We love you and we'll see you again." Okay, but next time, don't wait so long.

By Rob Williams

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 02:49:35 PM »

beer

seems the canadian media is impressed by the lenght of the show.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 02:53:16 PM »

"relying on TelePrompters to help out in case he forgot some lyrics."

I always seem to read this in recent reviews (over the past 8 years or so)...

He's been doing that forever...you would think rock journalists would have known that...

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 02:54:26 PM »

three new songs that show off Rose's two best-known emotions: ticked off and tender - ha! so funny!  rofl

Oh My God i cant deny this...
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 03:11:36 PM »

Of all the lying, rotten, disgusting, ignorant....

Oh....heh...sorry....

Seriously? Positive press?!?!

Wow....ummm.....cool?

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
plissken2013
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »

"17 years to finish Chinese Democracy"

So, Axl began working on Chinese democracy in November 1991? Good to know! No, wait, he's written "to finish Chinese democracy", that would mean Axl began the work even before the Use your illusion albums were out!!!! Amazing! Thanks Spin for the info! Roll Eyes

Apart from that type of crap, OK review!

I see the light at the end of the tunnel now
Someone please tell me it's not a train
Cracker

Political correctness is for dumbasses

Mods are the new Hitlers
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 04:03:53 PM »

This is the same review posted in some canadian sites. Not really a Spin writer, as it seems.

chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 08:20:25 PM »

So, Axl began working on Chinese democracy in November 1991? Good to know! No, wait, he's written "to finish Chinese democracy", that would mean Axl began the work even before the Use your illusion albums were out!!!! Amazing! Thanks Spin for the info! Roll Eyes

2010-17=1993...just saying

Cheers

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:25:18 PM »

2010-17=1993...just saying

Cheers

Chinese Democracy came out in 2008.

2008-17= 1991

Bottoms up, matey.
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 08:54:11 PM »

Do this people know that Guns N' Roses were in Asia in December? A lot of articles says that Guns N' Roses kick off the tour...

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »

Do this people know that Guns N' Roses were in Asia in December? A lot of articles says that Guns N' Roses kick off the tour...

Like this article, I would think they mean it's the first of the Canada shows.

Wednesday night, the band kicked off the Canadian leg of their 2010 tour at Winnipeg's MTS Centre with a full-out rock'n'roll spectacle that requires 15 semis of equipment and eight buses for the band and crew. There are explosions and confetti, along with seven video screens and a massive mobile lighting rig.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:17:10 PM »

I have found in general the majority of reporters have very poor research skills.  It would take all of 5 min to look up each band members name, when the tour kicked off etc. 

horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 09:27:12 PM »

wow mutha you got a great review !
i love something good written it just makes it all worth it man !
keep rockin guyz  that fuckin rockz '

the one an only horsey !
Lou
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 12:56:17 PM »

Another positive review! Blimey! This is awesome!

My Last.fm profile - in case you ever wanna know what I'm listening to...
My Webzine/Blog Thingy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: