Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 02:20:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash To Perform At Grammy Awards Show Tonight
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash To Perform At Grammy Awards Show Tonight  (Read 34061 times)
jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2010, 08:35:09 PM »

Just watched this.  I don't know how anyone can even tell if the solo sucked or sounded good.  I couldn't hear shit.  The only thing that was barely even audible out of the Slash solo was the signature bends of November Rain.  Couldn't hear shit in between them.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2010, 11:01:12 PM »

November Rain is probably the best example of an Axl Rose solo song. Sorry.

Why do Slash,Duff,Izzy have writing credits on it then? Did Axl just decide to be a pal and throw their name on as writers so they could get paid on it as well. Seems highly unlikely if they did nothing to deserve writing credits.

In all fairness, Naupis, NR is very much an Axl Rose song. He wrote the main lyrics and came up with the concept and has been playing around with it since before Appetite, along with the pianos on it. Yes, some of Slash's best guitar work is on the song and he does have credits on it, just like Estranged, but people wouldn't be wrong if they said it was a Rose song.

Fuck 'Em All.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2010, 03:42:47 AM »

Why do Slash,Duff,Izzy have writing credits on it then? Did Axl just decide to be a pal and throw their name on as writers so they could get paid on it as well. Seems highly unlikely if they did nothing to deserve writing credits.

In all fairness, Naupis, NR is very much an Axl Rose song. He wrote the main lyrics and came up with the concept and has been playing around with it since before Appetite, along with the pianos on it. Yes, some of Slash's best guitar work is on the song and he does have credits on it, just like Estranged, but people wouldn't be wrong if they said it was a Rose song.

But he just played the guitar part at the grammies.  No lyrics or anything.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2010, 04:15:10 AM »

Sorry that was OT. I wasn't talking about this performance, just replying to the comments on NR in general.

Fuck 'Em All.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2010, 04:23:09 AM »

Sorry that was OT. I wasn't talking about this performance, just replying to the comments on NR in general.

Smiley  I agree that its mainly Axls song.  I hate when people say Slash hated it.  I don't think they have any evidence to back that up.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2010, 04:25:41 AM »

Smiley  I agree that its mainly Axls song.  I hate when people say Slash hated it.  I don't think they have any evidence to back that up.

Axl has mentioned that he had to push Slash and Duff into working on NR and Estranged, since they didn't want to do such epic ballads, but I don't think Slash has himself stated that he 'hates' NR or Estranged.

Fuck 'Em All.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2010, 07:46:37 AM »

I think i remember Slash saying that he was happy to do november rain and estranged but that he didnt want Guns to go in that direction in general.  but he still liked them songs.  ( I could be wrong).

In my opinion, issues like this most likely led to the break up as opposed to all the "its Slash's fault" or "its Axls fault".

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2010, 09:26:19 AM »

So nice of you to resort to insults. It's so becoming of you.

I'm not insulting you. You are insinuating that I think Slash does everything for "fun" which is not the case at all.
I just get sick of that being the token excuse.  Whenever Slash does something questionable and people point it out and voice their opinions, inevitably the most common response is.  "Oh, come on, he's just having fun out there.  He loves to play.  Who are you to tell him what he can or can't do?"

Just because he's having fun doing what he loves to do that doesn't exonerate him from criticism.  Hopefully he's having fun doing ALL these things.  If not, it's even more sad.  But the man makes so many appearances some are gonna be good and some not so good.  This one was probably the worst.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2010, 09:52:53 AM »

So nice of you to resort to insults. It's so becoming of you.

I'm not insulting you. You are insinuating that I think Slash does everything for "fun" which is not the case at all.
I just get sick of that being the token excuse.  Whenever Slash does something questionable and people point it out and voice their opinions, inevitably the most common response is.  "Oh, come on, he's just having fun out there.  He loves to play.  Who are you to tell him what he can or can't do?"

Just because he's having fun doing what he loves to do that doesn't exonerate him from criticism.  Hopefully he's having fun doing ALL these things.  If not, it's even more sad.  But the man makes so many appearances some are gonna be good and some not so good.  This one was probably the worst.

I get were you are coming from but some people defend Slash because a lot of people tend to come out of hiding every so often to take a bash at him.
Take a read through the solo album thread.  when everything is positive, certain names don't comment.
But when he does something bad, these people come here in their numbers just to say how bad it is. 
But they never comment on how awesome the LAYN show was, or how exciting some of the collaborations on the solo album will be.
So i for one don't get how they can come here just to point out the negative things.

I could mention names but i wont for now.  but some people just hate Slash and dont make any effort to see all the positives.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:00:23 AM by jacdaniel » Logged

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2010, 11:52:18 AM »

That goes with the territory unfortunately.  People feel the need to have strong feelings one way or the other and that they have to choose a side.  That's why you see so many anti Slash posts here and anti Axl posts in the GNR section.  The fanbase is seriously divided, for better or worse.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »

I dont have a problem with him playing it live in the proper context... playing it with no talent wanna be hacks pisses me off.....

Say he were doing a les paul tribute or even Michael Jackson tribute and broke it off as a mashup over a famous MJ song... I'd have no problem with it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »

You guys are crazy!  Shocked
He just jammed a solo he wrote, for 25 seconds, at the grammys, they wanted to do a mash up, the thing that fitted most from Slashs catalog was probably this, they dident spend a lot of time on this, just a fun surprise kind of thing.. And it was not that bad,Ive heard other GnR guitarists fuck up the classic solos in a far worse way than this..

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
makane
Legend

« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2010, 02:47:06 PM »

Ouch, that was pretty horrible.
This goes into the "i don't remember that happening?" Slash archives.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »

I don't know for sure, but I bet when he was offered this he wasn't told that hed have to do the NR solo, they probably just asked him to be a part of it, then when he got there the organizers probably said lets do this. His playing didn't seem bad at all, I couldn't hear it, and if his playing was off if we couldn't hear it, he probably couldn't hear it, and i don't know how many of you have ever tried playing an insturment with out being able to hear what your playing but its pretty hard. But that being said I agree that the context it was done in was pretty dumb, but i still enjoyed it for what it was, him playing the NR solo. (i do find it funny that on his twitter the other day someone asked him if he plays i think that or Don't Cry ever, and he said no haha)

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2010, 06:41:43 PM »

I dont sugar coat it. it completely sucked and was a shit thing for Slash to do

still though, he is my fave guitar player ever and I can overlook it.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2010, 06:54:31 PM »

I don't know for sure, but I bet when he was offered this he wasn't told that hed have to do the NR solo, they probably just asked him to be a part of it, then when he got there the organizers probably said lets do this. His playing didn't seem bad at all, I couldn't hear it, and if his playing was off if we couldn't hear it, he probably couldn't hear it, and i don't know how many of you have ever tried playing an insturment with out being able to hear what your playing but its pretty hard. But that being said I agree that the context it was done in was pretty dumb, but i still enjoyed it for what it was, him playing the NR solo. (i do find it funny that on his twitter the other day someone asked him if he plays i think that or Don't Cry ever, and he said no haha)
He starts out playing it alright, but as it goes on he goes more and more off course.  It was tough to hear, so it's quite possible he couldn't really hear what he was playing either.  But it definitely didn't sound good.

Street of the Blues
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2010, 09:00:38 PM »

But it definitely didn't sound good.

x2
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2010, 03:47:43 PM »

I used to admire Slash. But that's just pathetic, very pathetic

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2010, 05:34:39 PM »

I understand why he did it

new album coming out, Grammy's are watched by millions

I use to be the first to call artists sell outs, but in this day and age of piracy and record labels being shitty, I tend to relax that now cause people gotta do what they gotta do these days to be seen/heard.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2010, 09:46:11 PM »

And if you're looking into ASCAP or something like that

I always defer to ASCAP over booklets. Artists don't write entire songs all by themselves and then split the pot by listing a bunch of people who didn't contribute in a substantive way just for fun.

Izzy has a writing credit on Locomotive according to ASCAP, a song he didn't write a note of and didn't even perform on

Obviously sometimes bands do things like this to keep the peace
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: