Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:25:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227806 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Toronto Concert Discussion
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Toronto Concert Discussion  (Read 13170 times)
Lou
Rocker

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2010, 08:11:39 AM »

Link: http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/01/30/guns-n-roses-defy-logic-in-toronto-128/

...and, for those of you who don't want to click the link, here's the review....

When you go to a Guns N? Roses concert, like I did on Thursday, January 28 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto, there are a couple of things you can count on. Seeing copious amounts of bandanas and tasselled leather, for one. The possibility of a riot breaking out any night. And whatever the incarnation, the near-ironclad guarantee that the band will take the stage later than anticipated.

Even knowing all this going in, I wasn?t expecting what the guesstimated 15,000 or so fans at the ACC did when it became obvious that GN?R weren?t going to start until 11:30 PM at least, something I can?t say I?ve EVER heard at a concert before.

They began booing. LOUDLY.

And I?m talking vicious, Maple Leafs-winless-in-six-games catcalls. Not even quick shots the two video screens kept displaying of women flashing their bras and thongs were enough to keep the restless crowd entertained.

Once Axl Rose and his new friends emerged through the pyrotechnics accompanying opener ?Chinese Democracy?, all seemed forgiven. It was fleeting, though, as fatigue had definitely set in. The familiar riff to ?Welcome to the Jungle? that followed kept folks awake, but it was only for one more song.

I give ?Guns N? Roses 2010? full marks for trying their darness to put on a good show despite everyone in the building going comatose all at once. They were very good, better than I thought they?d be. I KNOW I would have enjoyed them a heck of a lot more had they gone on an hour earlier!

What guitarists Richard Fortus, DJ Ashba, and Ron ?Bumblefoot? Thal may be lacking in live recklessness compared to the original lineup is more than made up for in musical professionalism. (Late start time aside!)

Not only did they breathe new life into ?classics? such as ?You Could Be Mine? and even ?Sweet Child o? Mine?, each was given an opportunity to shine in the spotlight while Axl changed outfits more times than Beyonc? or C?line Dion combined!

Ashba, in particular, was on fire during his solo. (Seriously, there seemed to be some kind of smoke emitting off of him as he rocked out!)

I didn?t even mind listening to most of the songs from Chinese Democracy, although nine out of a setlist of 25 songs was a little too much for my liking. A nice touch was when Axl dedicated ?Catcher in the Rye? to the author he named the track after, J.D. Salinger, who had passed away earlier in the day at age 91.

Not to be outdone, Axl provided a serious highlight of the night (Or would that be morning?) by covering Elton John?s ?Someone Saved My Life Tonight? on piano before segueing into ?November Rain?, complete with oversized sparklers!

While certainly impressive at times, I couldn?t help saying to myself repeatedly how this just wasn?t worth staying up for. Sorry Axl; I know you probably don?t care that my kids had school the next day, or that I?d have to take a cab because the buses and subway in Toronto stop running at 1:30. Not many of us get to sleep in like you do, you know?

Mercifully, we DIDN?T get a 3 hour performance, as the band has been doing with surprising frequency since embarking on this Canadian tour a few weeks ago ? Making my way out as ?Paradise City? sent us all home into the night just before 2 AM as confetti and streamers went off was MORE than enough for this old-time rocker, thank you very much!

I was really, really hoping that I would be convinced that Axl Rose?s ?new and improved? version of GN?R deserved my support. I?ve been a fan since 1988, but I?m not someone who continuously pines for the names of yore, the ones we all know and love ? Slash?Izzy?Duff?Adler? Get over it folks; a reunion with Axl ain?t never gonna happen, and not for all the money in the world, apparently.

Maybe it?s my tiredness that?s still talking, but the payoff just wasn?t there for me. That?s not to say there isn?t potential ? Get your $#!% together, Axl, stop jerking us around, and start your shows at a decent time. You have a lot of fans who?d be willing to give you one more chance, myself included.

Setlist:
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
It?s So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Sorry
Better
Richard Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond Theme)
Live and Let Die
If the World
Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
Street of Dreams
Rocket Queen
Catcher in the Rye
DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
Sweet Child o? Mine
Axl Rose Piano Solo (Someone Saved My Life Tonight by Elton John)
November Rain
Bumblefoot Guitar Solo (The Pink Panther Theme)
You Could Be Mine
Knockin? on Heaven?s Door
Nightrain

Encore:
Shackler?s Revenge
Madagascar
This I Love
Paradise City

I'm not sure if this has been posted already - if it has, please delete it.

I just had the urge to post it because I'm still mystified at how people can still be surprised at how the band goes on stage late! This is Rock 'n' Roll! Live a little... rebel... it'll be fun...
i was at madrid show in 2006.he was late 2h30min the show started 00.20 after 4 h of being stand up.And was one of the best concerts ive ever been ( the other is maiden).
Buy,iobiously you are an old band line up fan.I love both.

I just wanted to make this clear - that wasn't my review - I copied and pasted it from another site to show anyone who was interested (see the link at the start of my post).

Unfortunately I wasn't at the show... I lack the funds to travel to Canada at the moment Sad

However, I have now listened to the Air Canada Centre bootleg a couple of a times and it sounds like it was a phenomenal show. I'm truly envious of anyone who got to see it Smiley

My Last.fm profile - in case you ever wanna know what I'm listening to...
My Webzine/Blog Thingy
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2010, 09:52:07 AM »

Ups! Sorry i didnt realize....

peace
Lou
Rocker

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »

Ups! Sorry i didnt realize....

peace

That's ok - just wanted to clear that up Smiley

My Last.fm profile - in case you ever wanna know what I'm listening to...
My Webzine/Blog Thingy
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »

I've read this a couple times on different sites.  Can someone confirm to me that Axl actually came out in a wheelchair when they started the show??  hihi  And if so, I've heard that something with regards to that was a reference to Cobain???  What was it?

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
innocuous1
Opening Act

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »

I've read this a couple times on different sites.  Can someone confirm to me that Axl actually came out in a wheelchair when they started the show??  hihi  And if so, I've heard that something with regards to that was a reference to Cobain???  What was it?

He did - it was I think the one and only thing that wiped the smile off my face during all of last week (I saw Hamilton, London, Toronto)....but he was just clowning.  idk about Cobain reference.
Lesley
Opening Act

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2010, 11:02:53 PM »

He did arrive in a wheelchair, but jumped out before he started singing. 

Cobain apparently appeared at a festival once in a wheelchair.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_and_Leeds_Festivals

It was an awesome show, even with the wait!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: