Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:46:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  NEW Greatest Hits to be launched?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW Greatest Hits to be launched?  (Read 14361 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 09:09:19 AM »

gnr already released a second greatest hits collection.  it was called chinese democracy.

rofl

When i read your posts, i never know whether you're joking or whether your just nuts in the head.
Clearly you dont understand the concept of a greatest hits album.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 09:30:43 AM »

To be honest, im not sure if id buy a greatest hits CD unless there was some cool extra's or a new track etc.  i have all the albums already.  Smiley

but if they did release one, i think they should choose 15 off of AFD and UYI's.  1 off Lies (Patience), 1 from Spaghetti Incident, 2 from CD, and one new track.  (Assuming they have one).

As for people saying the Current members should re-record all the old tracks for it, that would be a terrible idea!  Axl is currently winning over more fan's so why go and alienate them people and  try erase the legacy of the old band?  not to mention it would take time to record all them songs again thus delaying future endheavours.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 10:12:42 AM »

Ill buy anything with GN'R's name on it, but there has already been the absolute perfect greatest hits package that no one is talking about..it's called 'Live Era".  Although I wish Civil War was on it.

Civil War probably wasn't on it because most of the intro's to it contained 'Voodoo Child' which may have needed clearance or whatever. 

My question is...why did the foreign copies of Live Era get to have an addition song (Coma) but the US version just didn't have it?  What's the point of doing that?

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
wadey
Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 10:15:45 AM »

To be honest, im not sure if id buy a greatest hits CD unless there was some cool extra's or a new track etc.  i have all the albums already.  Smiley

but if they did release one, i think they should choose 15 off of AFD and UYI's.  1 off Lies (Patience), 1 from Spaghetti Incident, 2 from CD, and one new track.  (Assuming they have one).

As for people saying the Current members should re-record all the old tracks for it, that would be a terrible idea!  Axl is currently winning over more fan's so why go and alienate them people and  try erase the legacy of the old band?  not to mention it would take time to record all them songs again thus delaying future endheavours.

it would be cool to get the current members to re-record some tracks for GH cd, the current line up have put out CDem, theyre touring and doing great so why release a 2nd GH which would be 90% old Guns. we already have a GH and dont really need another one unless it was re-recorded with the current members. i dont think its about erasing a legacy etc

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »

Ill buy anything with GN'R's name on it, but there has already been the absolute perfect greatest hits package that no one is talking about..it's called 'Live Era".  Although I wish Civil War was on it.

Civil War probably wasn't on it because most of the intro's to it contained 'Voodoo Child' which may have needed clearance or whatever. 

My question is...why did the foreign copies of Live Era get to have an addition song (Coma) but the US version just didn't have it?  What's the point of doing that?

The US vinyl also has Coma.  I don't know the point.  Japan had some commerical release of some of the live Marquee stuff too.  

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 10:25:21 AM »

it would be cool to get the current members to re-record some tracks for GH cd, the current line up have put out CDem, theyre touring and doing great so why release a 2nd GH which would be 90% old Guns. we already have a GH and dont really need another one unless it was re-recorded with the current members. i dont think its about erasing a legacy etc

i agree with you that there really isnt any point in a Greatest hits album.  Hardcore fan's already own all the albums and casual fan's probably either have live era or the current Greatest Hits. 

I think the current members re-recording would just get a load of negative media and the band could do without all that right now.
I doubt even think the current members would be too comfortable re recording the old stuff. 

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »

live era sucks and didn't sell shit....casual fans have the GH and/or AFD.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 10:44:48 AM »

live era sucks and didn't sell shit....casual fans have the GH and/or AFD.

Live Era was pretty badass.  It didn't "sell shit" because of the same reason Chinese Democracy didn't "sell shit"...the promotions sucked ass.  The Greatest Hits cd was pointless to a fan like myself...but went platinum several times over for other reasons. 

Live Era was great though.  Get your head out of the toilet.

mnsotapop
Rocker

Wake up, its time to dieeeeeee

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 10:45:46 AM »

I like the Live Era :-)

Alpine Valley, WI 5/91
Target Center, Mpls MN 1/92
Metrodome w/ Metallica, Mpls MN 9/92
Fargo Dome, Fargo ND 3/21/93
Target Center, the "Buckethead" tour
Target Center 11/13/11
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 10:46:50 AM »

I love Live Era but i would have preferred more of the performances from 80s, i think most were from the UYI tour.

And i would have loved Double Talkin Jive on it.  (The studio version is nothing special).

superstarmc
Rocker

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 10:49:15 AM »

Live era is the best, besides Democracy.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 10:57:40 AM »

I love Live Era but i would have preferred more of the performances from 80s, i think most were from the UYI tour.

And i would have loved Double Talkin Jive on it.  (The studio version is nothing special).

I agree, I think there are only a couple of performances from the 80s, only Out ta get me comes to mind.  I wasn't a fan of the reworked vocals either, would have loved to get the 100% true blue on the whole album.

I think if they do release new GH and it is more of the "best of" ilk with less covers from TSI and more deep track favorites like Rocket Queen, it would be fine since more casual fans would be exposed to those songs.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 11:07:20 AM »

I agree, I think there are only a couple of performances from the 80s, only Out ta get me comes to mind.  I wasn't a fan of the reworked vocals either, would have loved to get the 100% true blue on the whole album.

I think if they do release new GH and it is more of the "best of" ilk with less covers from TSI and more deep track favorites like Rocket Queen, it would be fine since more casual fans would be exposed to those songs.

I agree to a certain extent.  The rework on "Knockin On Heaven's Door" with the added (or crystal clear) crowd getting involved makes it sound so incredible.  That particular version, I believe, was taken from Wembley Stadium at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert.  If you listen to the actual video recorded version of the song...and the one on Live Era...they're eerily similar...only the crowd is much clearer (or added) in the Live Era version.  I'm ok with that I guess...especially when I'm playing it for friends...they especially love it.   hihi

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 11:12:31 AM »

I agree to a certain extent.  The rework on "Knockin On Heaven's Door" with the added (or crystal clear) crowd getting involved makes it sound so incredible.  That particular version, I believe, was taken from Wembley Stadium at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert.  If you listen to the actual video recorded version of the song...and the one on Live Era...they're eerily similar...only the crowd is much clearer (or added) in the Live Era version.  I'm ok with that I guess...especially when I'm playing it for friends...they especially love it.   hihi

From my ears, I think those vocals were cleaned up rather than re-recorded. Not everything was re-recorded on the album.  I think Paradise City was left alone too for the most part. There are songs where it is kind of half and half too.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
axe
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »

Japan always gets these bonus tracks. They could get the records cheaper by ordering them straight from the US, so extra tracks are added to Japanese editions to entice people to buy the records from local stores and not from abroad.
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »

Japan always gets these bonus tracks. They could get the records cheaper by ordering them straight from the US, so extra tracks are added to Japanese editions to entice people to buy the records from local stores and not from abroad.

Interesting. For whatever reason, I never thought of that.  Makes perfect sense though.  The value of the dollar is borderline worthless these days.  Must be nice to live in Europe or Asia and vacation to the United States for next to nothing. haha

Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 12:12:44 PM »

fake fake fake hihi

Oh My God i cant deny this...
wadey
Legend

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »

i agree with you that there really isnt any point in a Greatest hits album.  Hardcore fan's already own all the albums and casual fan's probably either have live era or the current Greatest Hits. 

I think the current members re-recording would just get a load of negative media and the band could do without all that right now.
I doubt even think the current members would be too comfortable re recording the old stuff. 

suppose you got a point, but i guess the band needs to move forward and they cant move forward by releasing material consisting mainly of the original line up. theyre working hard to make their own mark in the bussiness and it would tarnish their efforts maybe

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
xxgunsxx
Headliner

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 09:51:58 PM »

oh now "the dollar isn't worth shit" is hog wash. if you trade currencies like I do, you'd know that it's the euro and pound that are struggling with their value and not the dollar. :-)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 06:04:41 AM »

I didn't see this TV ad yet. Maybe it's a hoax?

But in 2001 the Brazilian Universal did something like that, selling a collection with the Illusions songs (or something like that). It wasnt a real release like the real Greatest Hits.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: