Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Nikki Sixx comments on DJ Ashba's status with GNR
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nikki Sixx comments on DJ Ashba's status with GNR  (Read 37581 times)
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 12:37:22 PM »

I don't think I actually care too much anymore. What I mean by that is this.

I really loved GN'R... real fucking big old school gunner from back in the day. Loved Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff. But then there was the new version, and against all fucking odds I fucking dug them too. I really love Buckethead, and Tommy and Fortus are cool. Brain was great, and I dig Frank. Far better drummers then Steven or Matt. Frank is just fucking cool.

I dig Ron Thal. He is cool and talented as hell.

Anyway, Robin was cool (I am a NIN fan so...) But then he left and this Ashba dude.

I am really hoping Bucket will feature on future albums and would love him to make an appearance at a future concert. There is just something so cool about him and Axl. It was a sweet pairing.

That says a lot. Ashba, yea not so much. I think Nicki Six, Motley Crue, Poison... these fuckers suck and I always hated them. I am probably in the minority with all this but if Ashba leaves, I just don't care. He is no Buckethead so why should I? There will be someone else, and they will play all the parts just fine I am sure.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Ashba is "just a guy" in terms of what he brings to Gn'R.  ...Bucket and Robin (and to a lesser extent Thal) bring intangibles to the band that are hard to replace.  ....Axl would be foolish to re-record Bucket and Robin's parts for a new album imo. 

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 01:27:06 PM »

Just the thought of fucking Ashba re recording anything Buckethead had already recorded makes me want to smash my head against a wall. The audacity of that is maddening.

Look. Ashba might be a nice guy. I haven't heard anything to the contrary. But his connection to fucking shitty Nicki Sixx is a big red flag. Did I hear someone defend Ashba and say something like "Well, Ashba was wearing a Top hat before he was in GN'R?" Was fucking DJ (Ugh) Ashba wearing Top hats before Slash did? Its just one of those things guitarists should just stay the fuck away from. Its a look synonymous with Slash. Its been that way awhile. It will always provoke Slash's image whenever he wears is so why not just be original?

The only solace I take in this is that Ashba is not, at all, involved in the greatness that is Chinese Democracy. And it is greatness. Not knowing all the particulars in Axl and Buckethead's relationship, I would love Bucket to step back into the touring fold and for Ashba to go back to Nicki Sixx or Bret Michaels or Vince fucking Neil or Bon Jovi, or whoever the fuck this dude is in bed with. I just don't care.  [goes back to work while listening to Chinese Democracy]

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »

Just the thought of fucking Ashba re recording anything Buckethead had already recorded makes me want to smash my head against a wall. The audacity of that is maddening.

Look. Ashba might be a nice guy. I haven't heard anything to the contrary. But his connection to fucking shitty Nicki Sixx is a big red flag. Did I hear someone defend Ashba and say something like "Well, Ashba was wearing a Top hat before he was in GN'R?" Was fucking DJ (Ugh) Ashba wearing Top hats before Slash did? Its just one of those things guitarists should just stay the fuck away from. Its a look synonymous with Slash. Its been that way awhile. It will always provoke Slash's image whenever he wears is so why not just be original?

The only solace I take in this is that Ashba is not, at all, involved in the greatness that is Chinese Democracy. And it is greatness. Not knowing all the particulars in Axl and Buckethead's relationship, I would love Bucket to step back into the touring fold and for Ashba to go back to Nicki Sixx or Bret Michaels or Vince fucking Neil or Bon Jovi, or whoever the fuck this dude is in bed with. I just don't care.  [goes back to work while listening to Chinese Democracy]

Yes, but Ashba is not replacing Buckethead - Ron Thal is. Ashba is replacing Robin Finck.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Ashba is "just a guy" in terms of what he brings to Gn'R.  ...Bucket and Robin (and to a lesser extent Thal) bring intangibles to the band that are hard to replace.  ....Axl would be foolish to re-record Bucket and Robin's parts for a new album imo. 

I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion, but could you explain what the intangibles are that Robin brought that D.J. doesn't? As far as stage presense goes, in my eyes he has more than replaced what Robin brought. From a song writing  perspective we haven't seen what DJ is bringing or will bring to GnR, but we have seen what he was able to do with prior projects. We really didn't have a huge body of work from Robin prior to GnR, for the most part he was a touring guitarist (NIN, Cirque, etc...). So are your intangibles based on 'Better'?

I also wouldn't put down Ron's 'intangibles'... Just listening to some of the early demo's (which isn't completely fair) and the finished CD product, Ron to me was the glue that brought some of those tracks together. His work on the title track alone was huge. To me the early demo of that song is littered with way to much dead air and seemed very weak... Ron fattened it up and really made it rock (which was one of his points in that recent interview).

Anyway... The band is who the band is. Whether you are a Slash, Izzy, Gilby, Bucket, Robin, Ron, Richard, DJ, or even a Paul guy... they each put their fingerprint on this band and the current members (possibly future members) will continue to do so. There is no reason to devalue a former or current member, you wouldn't have anything from Welcome to the Jungle to Prostitute and whatever else is comming down the pipe without each of them. It's probably healthier to look at it as none of the former members are coming back... Axl has fileld those spots with the best possible replacements, and if someone else chooses to move on to what they think is a better opportunity, Axl will plug that hole. Just look at that list of guitarists... Styles and personal preferences aside, that list is amazing. There aren't many bands out there who have a better guitar player than anyone on that list, over the last 20+ years some of us have seen the best guitar work rock has to offer. So I say be happy with whats up there because it could be worse... we could be Creed fans...
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »

Well, everyone has their own opinion.  Personally, I always thought that Buckethead looked way out of place onstage with Axl.  And the stupid nun--chucks (sp) thing he did during his solo was ridiculous.  Even after the first VMA performance, I had friends calling me asking who the hell was that on stage - and they didn't mean "who the hell was that - this guy rocks!" It was more like "Axl went from Slash to a guy who is wearing a mask and a bucket on his head.  This is embarrassing."  

To me, DJ fits in pretty well, both musically and with the image of the band.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2010, 01:38:39 PM »

Are we done soon?

Dj is in the band, Robin, Buckethead or Nikki isn't....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »

Dj is in the band

/jarmo

Well, that is what that everyone is concerned about, isn't it?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »

Dj is in the band

/jarmo

How can you be concerned?

You didn't read the press release when he joined?

You didn't see any of the Youtube clips or photos from the current tour?

I mean, I didn't ask him for ID, but it sure as hell looked like that was Dj Ashba on stage with Guns N' Roses....

Hell, even Axl introduced him as "the new man in the band, Mr Dj Ashba!"....

If that's not Dj, we've all been fooled!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »

I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion, but could you explain what the intangibles are that Robin brought that D.J. doesn't? As far as stage presense goes, in my eyes he has more than replaced what Robin brought. From a song writing  perspective we haven't seen what DJ is bringing or will bring to GnR, but we have seen what he was able to do with prior projects. We really didn't have a huge body of work from Robin prior to GnR, for the most part he was a touring guitarist (NIN, Cirque, etc...). So are your intangibles based on 'Better'?

I also wouldn't put down Ron's 'intangibles'... Just listening to some of the early demo's (which isn't completely fair) and the finished CD product, Ron to me was the glue that brought some of those tracks together. His work on the title track alone was huge. To me the early demo of that song is littered with way to much dead air and seemed very weak... Ron fattened it up and really made it rock (which was one of his points in that recent interview).

Anyway... The band is who the band is. Whether you are a Slash, Izzy, Gilby, Bucket, Robin, Ron, Richard, DJ, or even a Paul guy... they each put their fingerprint on this band and the current members (possibly future members) will continue to do so. There is no reason to devalue a former or current member, you wouldn't have anything from Welcome to the Jungle to Prostitute and whatever else is comming down the pipe without each of them. It's probably healthier to look at it as none of the former members are coming back... Axl has fileld those spots with the best possible replacements, and if someone else chooses to move on to what they think is a better opportunity, Axl will plug that hole. Just look at that list of guitarists... Styles and personal preferences aside, that list is amazing. There aren't many bands out there who have a better guitar player than anyone on that list, over the last 20+ years some of us have seen the best guitar work rock has to offer. So I say be happy with whats up there because it could be worse... we could be Creed fans...

nice post....

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »

Dj is in the band

/jarmo

I mean, I didn't ask him for ID, but it sure as hell looked like that was Dj Ashba on stage with Guns N' Roses....

/jarmo

Yes, your flippancy is a beacon of inspiration to us all.  ok
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2010, 01:55:04 PM »

Some people underestimate DJ.  He's an excellent guitar player and songwriter, has a good personality, seems to have fit right into GNR family better than Bucket or Robin, and is his own man.  I look forward to his future contributions.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2010, 02:00:49 PM »

Dj is in the band

/jarmo

/jarmo

You're very welcome. Glad I can help those of you who worry about shit that makes very little sense to me personally.  ok

This thread makes no sense to me.

Thousands of people around the world have seen Dj play with GN'R, yet some of you question if he's in the band?

The press release even said he replaced Robin. Yet some of you question if he's in the band....

That makes no sense to me. Sorry!

Worrying about who might play guitar on the next GN'R release? I'll "worry" about that when the album is released.

And no, I don't know when/if/how that will happen. Don't read into that comment. Thanks.

/jarmo

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2010, 02:06:58 PM »

Only Promotion By:

SIXX SENSE

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2010, 02:07:49 PM »

Dj is in the band

/jarmo

/jarmo

You're very welcome. Glad I can help those of you who worry about shit that makes very little sense to me personally.  ok

This thread makes no sense to me.

Thousands of people around the world have seen Dj play with GN'R, yet some of you question if he's in the band?

The press release even said he replaced Robin. Yet some of you question if he's in the band....

/jarmo

Speaking for myself, I wasn't questioning whether he is in the band - only trying to clarify a point of discussion. I don't really see how that warrants a sarcastic response, but whatever.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »

What's unclear to you then?

/jarmo

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »

I think it's obvious that Nikki used words to his advantage here.

Obviously people are getting worked up over the way Nikki treats Ashba's involvment in GN'R. Guns N' Roses is our band and I think it's only natural to get angry over people using spin on their words to get the upper hand, so to speak.

But it's clear DJ is in the band and having an awesome time. So lets treat Nikki's comments exactly how they are, altered slightly to fit his own agenda, nothing more.
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2010, 03:15:15 PM »

What's unclear to you then?

/jarmo

Nothing. Someone made a remark about Ashba re-recording Buckethead parts - I thought it was worth pointing out that Ron would be doing that, if anyone. You asked why people are talking about musicians who aren't in the band. I responded, perhaps not clearly enough, that people are concerned about Ashba's status in the band because of Nikki Sixx's recent remarks. As far as I can tell, all of that has an immmediate relation to the current status of Guns n Roses. Hope this helps.  Smiley
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »

I still don't get why these comments would mean anything to a GN'R fan.....

I thought I explained the so called current status of GN'R multiple times.

Nikki can claim Dj is "filling in", GN'R said he replaced Robin.

Some of you obviously choose to believe anybody (who's not GN'R) when it comes to GN'R related information.....

/jarmo

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2010, 03:51:35 PM »

I guess from what i gather is, people are just worried, that once the GNR tour ends, DJ will go back to Sixx AM and won't continue with GNR.

So yeah, DJ is in GNR right now.. but is it just for a touring commitment or is it permanent? I sure hope it is permanent cause he fits GNR perfectly and brings a chemistry and awesomeness to this lineup that makes it even more amazing than it was.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2010, 03:53:27 PM »

well DJ is a friend of Slash's and I think its awesome how he throws a little tribute to Slash with his tophat, guitar style and hell down to running through the crowd during PC which is a Slash trademark. I think he perfectly bridges the old fan with the new fan.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: