Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:02:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228063 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  When did Guns N' Roses become so fashionable? - Guardian Music Article
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When did Guns N' Roses become so fashionable? - Guardian Music Article  (Read 17454 times)
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 03:23:07 PM »

It seems like when you go see certain artists, you get a show. And the music is not the main focus.

All these "great live shows" where you basically are watching video screens while the band/artist stand in one spot performing.

That can be great too.

/jarmo

Rammstein. Impossible not to enjoy a Rammstein show. Although I like their music too!

Here today...ready to rock
Derby Greg
Derby Tourism Ambassador
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 03:33:41 PM »

Haha, that was a good read. Even if he's not so kind about TIL, he sure points out how the band isnt a nostalgia act for the mid-30's or above. That's rock n' roll indeed.

I read that sentence about TIL (a 'gleefully lunatic six-minute pseudo rock-opera') a little differently:  i.e. the author is British, and as far as I could tell, this was a compliment.

Overall, a really positive article I think.

Yeah, it's kind of tongue-in-cheek British sense of humour in that trademark self-deprecating style of ours.

2002 Leeds, London
2006 London Ham, Download, London W'ley
2010 Montreal, Toronto, Reading, Dublin
2011 Rio, Arg
2012 Bham,London x2,Rotterdam, Paris,Vegasx3
2013 NYCx2
2016 Vegasx2, NYCx2, CR
Liquor & Whores
Rocker

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 05:06:36 PM »

It seems like when you go see certain artists, you get a show. And the music is not the main focus.

All these "great live shows" where you basically are watching video screens while the band/artist stand in one spot performing.

That can be great too.

/jarmo

Rammstein. Impossible not to enjoy a Rammstein show. Although I like their music too!

How can u compare Rammstein to GNR? The Germans make a great visual show indeed, but I can only watch it without sound

I prefer music to special effects. It is a rock concert not fireworks display
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:11:16 PM by DrDrei » Logged

"you nor anyone will ever dictate my actions" - Axl Rose
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 05:33:12 PM »

When did Axl call himself a prick for the homo statements?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 05:49:21 PM »

When did Axl call himself a prick for the homo statements?

I don't think it was meant as a word for word quote.

He's explained himself since the song was released. I believe that's the point the journalist is trying to make.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 05:51:52 PM »

Great article!  Like Jarmo said -- "somebody gets it".  That's good to see from the media. Anyone goin to the shows, have a great fuckin time. Don't throw any shit at the helicopter when it drops them off!

GnFnR forever!!!  They'll never go out of style for me! ok

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem
4.8.16Vegas
7.14.16Phil
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 06:18:11 PM »

That article is still very inaccurate.... people didn't hate GNR in the early 90's and Kurt Cobain had NOTHING to do with GNR being "Unfashionable"

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »

That article is still very inaccurate.... people didn't hate GNR in the early 90's and Kurt Cobain had NOTHING to do with GNR being "Unfashionable"

How do you know?

Because that's how it was in your world?

As soon as Nirvana and "alternative music" became popular and got heavy rotation on MTV, all those other bands become "uncool".

And yes, some people who care about such things would "hate" those bands.

It's always been like that.

That's what made GN'R cool back in the day. They were the opposite of all the crappy hair metal bands.

That's what made the Sex Pistols popular. And so on and so on.... History repeats.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 06:52:49 PM »

How does that person know?

they are writing from their own point of view, so im sure the writer didn't poll the universe.

I'd say sold out STADIUMS, not arenas but STADIUMS, mixed with top 10 singles and November Rain consistently voted as a top 3 video of all time *which came out during the boom of grunge* on MTV would point to them not being "hated" at all.

that writer speaks as if they were some "guilty pleasure" i call bullshit on that.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »

they are writing from their own point of view, so im sure the writer didn't poll the universe.

I'd say sold out STADIUMS, not arenas but STADIUMS, mixed with top 10 singles and November Rain consistently voted as a top 3 video of all time *which came out during the boom of grunge* on MTV would point to them not being "hated" at all.

that writer speaks as if they were some "guilty pleasure" i call bullshit on that.

Don't know about "hated", but from my point of view GN'R's general popularity started to fade in 94-95.

I can still remember New Year's Eve 2001... People definately felt their GN'R fix was long overdue. I guess that's the testament of a legend type artist.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 07:06:29 PM »

I think the band was still popular, but not hyped anymore by the media or whoever used to follow the trend back in the early 90's.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:08:34 PM by Voodoochild » Logged

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 07:10:40 PM »

Don't know about "hated", but from my point of view GN'R's general popularity started to fade in 94-95.

I can still remember New Year's Eve 2001... People definately felt their GN'R fix was long overdue. I guess that's the testament of a legend type artist.

reporter specifically said EARLY 90's.

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 07:13:38 PM »

reporter specifically said EARLY 90's.

Interesting you have to hate on the first 100% positive article in recent memory.

Great job, Buddy  ok
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »

so a dude slagging off the early 90's band is positive?

I defend all eras of GNR. What the dude reported was bullshit. I call that out. Nirvana didn't make GNR uncool, GNR were never unpopular or a guilty pleasure.

Last i checked this is a Guns N Roses forum, not a 2002 and beyond only Guns N Roses message forum.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »

Sure, November Rain has been named one of the greatest videos of all time. Sure they sold out huge venues all over the worlds in the 1990s. But do you remember the 1990s?

I'm not saying anything bad about GN'R here. Just so those of you who like to twist shit don't get any ideas.

Just my perspective of how others viewed GN'R while I was still a fan and many others were busy trying to be "cool"...

Back then the music press were all about alternative music, Oasis (here in Europe), electronica and so on.

GN'R weren't "cool".

Then after a while people realize what's genuine and that usually becomes "ok to like" again.

Hell, back when I started this site you could see what the popular bands were. They had way more fan sites than GN'R!

That's one of the reasons I even started this. Because I thought there wasn't enough GN'R stuff on the Internet. I had a bunch of stuff that wasn't available back then.... I typed out articles and added them to my site because nobody else had. Things like that.

so a dude slagging off the early 90's band is positive?

I defend all eras of GNR. What the dude reported was bullshit. I call that out. Nirvana didn't make GNR uncool, GNR were never unpopular or a guilty pleasure.

Last i checked this is a Guns N Roses forum, not a 2002 and beyond only Guns N Roses message forum.

For fuck's sake. We all know you hate the present band.

So when you see a positive article about GN'R today, you have to jump in and make it into something else?

I think the band was still popular, but not hyped anymore by the media or whoever used to follow the trend back in the early 90's.

Exactly.

Too bad D can't tell the difference.

If you paid any attention to how the music media works, this is another example of how things go in cycles.

You're cool, you're uncool, you suck, we laugh at you, you're cool, we always knew you were great.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:21:28 PM by jarmo » Logged

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »

I don't hate the present band. hate is a strong word.

Where did i say anything bad about the positive parts of the interview?

Did I say the guy is full of shit and GNR aren't a great spontaneous,exciting live band? NO

The part about the new band is great. kudos to the reporter, that however doesn't erase the fact he is full of shit dissing not only the early 90's band but all versions of the band up until now.

Just a weird dichotomy how on one hand u guys can applaud a guy for praising GNR,but not care on the other hand that he is full of crap..... i know it was the much hated "original" band, but last i checked ,Axl was still in that band.

He also didn't single out "journalist" were ones who hated GNR, he basically meant everybody as in those who listen to boy bands and don't admit it etc.  U guys can't rewrite the dudes article to have it fit your argument.

now around Spaghetti Incident and right after, sure, ill give u they may were a bit uncool.. but early 90's? thats height of UYI.No way were they unpopular.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:28:06 PM by D » Logged

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 07:30:25 PM »

We get it. You got upset because you see this as an attack on an old line up.... Which isn't cool with you at all!

So you have to defend it.

Even though he's not attacking GN'R at all. Just saying how things were.

GN'R weren't "the cool band to like".

I'm sure you must be able to relate to that being a Bon Jovi fan. Nobody admits to liking them but they sell out stadiums (including the seats!).  hihi

/jarmo

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 07:32:51 PM »

We get it. You got upset because you see this as an attack on an old line up.... Which isn't cool with you at all!

So you have to defend it.

Even though he's not attacking GN'R at all. Just saying how things were.

GN'R weren't "the cool band to like".

I'm sure you must be able to relate to that being a Bon Jovi fan. Nobody admits to liking them but they sell out stadiums (including the seats!).  hihi

/jarmo

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

ok u got me on the Bon Jovi thing but still defending the old band doesn't slag off the new one.... the part about the new band is spot on and i applaud the guy for knowing and giving it the proper due.

doesn't mean im gonna support what i feel is erroneous.

GNR were NEVER looked at like Bon Jovi.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2010, 07:43:07 PM »

He's not saying anything bad about GN'R!

When will you get it?

He's even pointing out how popular they were back then!

He only says people were more comfortable mentioning others bands as their favorites because those bands were considered cooler, more exciting, more interesting etc.

And that's how it is.

It's like fucking high school. Everybody wants to blend in and be accepted so everybody tries to look, act and say the same things. Nobody wants to stand out and be the weirdo!  Tongue

From what I've noticed, you're more likely to see a teenager wearing a GN'R t-shirt today than you were in the late 1990s...

That's just another example... Now it's ok, GN'R is cool.

/jarmo

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2010, 08:13:42 PM »

ok ok, i get what u are saying there

like how all the douches went from wanting to be axl to wearing flannel?

yeah i hate people like that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: