Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:15:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The best vocal performances from W. Axl Rose
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The best vocal performances from W. Axl Rose  (Read 4765 times)
Poops Magee
Headliner

« on: September 08, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »

I have been watching clips on YouTube of the band's recent performance in Dublin and I feel that I now have to express one of my long held beliefs. That being, when Axl limits his physical show, he delivers the best vocal performances. Obviously, the Dublin show had issues surrounding it which were not so great, but that being said-what a voice! That version of YCBM was stellar!

I enjoy the high energy shows that he and the band offers up, it's one thing that I've always thought set this band apart from others of their era. But as a fan who doesn't mosh anymore I feel I can say that their is no shame in letting the young bucks tear up the stage while you blow doors down with that incredible voice. The pronunciation, the way he holds the notes longer, the long screams-it's so easy when he's not runnin' a marathon...baby.  Wink

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 05:11:13 AM »

Yay!
 rofl

I love my soundboard bootleg from vegas2012 they were on fire (i think on better form than in london 2012) on that tour so this should be an amazing recording as well.

You remember the prostitute/mad men opening theme Shocked

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »

Yay!
 rofl

I love my soundboard bootleg from vegas2012 they were on fire (i think on better form than in london 2012) on that tour so this should be an amazing recording as well.

The 11.09.2012 show?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »

Yay!
 rofl

The 11.09.2012 show?
Yep.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »

And you think that shows them "on fire"?  You don't find the vocals a bit iffy in spots?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 11:42:55 AM »

And you think that shows them "on fire"?  You don't find the vocals a bit iffy in spots?

I would say that 2010 & 2011 showed Axl in top form vocally, all the way through the U.S. tour.  Everything I've seen since, however, has seen the rasp turn to full on falsetto.

We saw this in 2002, with his live voice greatly improving by the time the 2006 tour came around.  Let's hope some of the off time this year has been well spent re-training his voice.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 11:47:41 AM »

You two, take it to Dead Horse already.  ok

Your quests to turn every current thread into the same old tired rehashed "discussions" is a bit boring.
You got a special section for your kinds of discussions. Enjoy!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »

Your quests to turn every current thread into the same old tired rehashed "discussions" is a bit boring.

/jarmo

What?! D-X made a comment and I responded with my opinion.  Honest to God, no secret agenda hear Jarmo.  That's just your insecurity talking.

I merely said Axl sounded great in '10 & '11, but has since slipped into using a falsetto sounding voice in place of his normal rasp.  I don't understand why you always feel the constant need to pounce on any minorly dissenting views, which only ends up derailing the conversation further.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 12:02:01 PM »

You don't get it? I don't need every thread in this section to turn into the same old "it's not a real band", "it doesn't as good as in ____" discussions.
If you're into that, fine. But do it in the right place.

It's very simple.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 12:24:32 PM »

I am with jarmo on this one about that stuff in this thread... whats the point?

who cares when he sounds better ... yeah 2010 he sounded better... we all know that...

but its been a year of back n forth on when this will come out if ever.... if you are gunna complain about something... make it about that ! ha

I want this DVD already.... i demand it! im owed it !  Smiley

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 12:49:05 PM »

/jarmo

What?! D-X made a comment and I responded with my opinion.  Honest to God, no secret agenda hear Jarmo.  That's just your insecurity talking.

I merely said Axl sounded great in '10 & '11, but has since slipped into using a falsetto sounding voice in place of his normal rasp.  I don't understand why you always feel the constant need to pounce on any minorly dissenting views, which only ends up derailing the conversation further.

Though I didn't go to this particular show of the residency, I went to the two immediately after and honestly felt Axl's vocals were comparable to the 2011 tour show I saw.  He may have had an off night on 11/21/12, but I'm confident based on what I heard in person afterwards that his vocals will be solid.

Also, what he uses these days is not a falsetto, with a light, airy sound, like he uses at the beginning of the studio version of "Better".  It's more of a head voice.

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 12:56:45 PM »

I am with jarmo on this one about that stuff in this thread... whats the point?

The comment was made that the Las Vegas soundboard showed the band "on fire".  I asked what concert they were referring to, thinking it must be a different one than I had (11.09.2012).  As an avid bootleg collector and a guy that listens to them rather frequently, that is not the term I would use for that show.  Conversely, I just got a copy of the Bucharest show from 09.21.10 and I would absolutely use the "on fire" term to describe that one.  It sounds great, band and Axl.

sofine11 is right that Jarmo brings these conversations to a screeching god damn halt with these constant trips to the soapbox.  Every time he does, that's at least a 5-7 post detour about rules and etiquette (including this one), and not what was even being talked about.  Which might have even gone by without anyone even responding to it, who knows?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »

Also, what he uses these days is not a falsetto, with a light, airy sound, like he uses at the beginning of the studio version of "Better".  It's more of a head voice.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

And I'd also argue it actually does work some of the time, but other times, it can sound weak.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 01:20:28 PM »

And I'd also argue it actually does work some of the time, but other times, it can sound weak.

I would also agree that that's an apt description, rather than "falsetto".  It seems to work best on slower tracks like Estranged, November Rain & Don't Cry, which he still sounds excellent on, whereas with some of the faster tracks like Jungle, Nightrain, & YCBM it sounds a bit (for lack of a better word) weak.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »

I would also agree that that's an apt description, rather than "falsetto".  It seems to work best on slower tracks like Estranged, November Rain & Don't Cry, which he still sounds excellent on, whereas with some of the faster tracks like Jungle, Nightrain, & YCBM it sounds a bit (for lack of a better word) weak.
Yeah, I'd agree. 

I'm not sure I've heard a bad 'Estranged' from those last legs.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 01:52:23 PM »

Yeah, I'd agree. 

I'm not sure I've heard a bad 'Estranged' from those last legs.

The highlight of every show IMO.
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 03:40:37 PM »

I think it's Jarmo's over reaction that is responsible for derailing the conversation on this occasion.

But getting back to it, on that Sirius radio broadcast the band didn't sound their best mostly because of the stream quality

I was at this particular show and I remember Axl sounding very good

He sounds great on the Trailer and if you don't think so then what are you doing on this forum?
It's not like he's going to keep getting better and better with age, he's 52 and ageing is a real thing, for the style of vocalist he is I would have figured he'd be a lot worse off at this stage in his career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttG0NqbKzJc
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 04:17:42 PM »

I know it was not axls greatest performance, and ive said it before, as for axl he sung good. it still sounds like the band was having a blast in vegas and im looking foward to see that in the dvd. id rather have a show where the guitarist misses a few notes, the Singer cant reach as high as he wanted and where the drummer messed up something, but still the band playing tight and enjoying them self and going for that next level when playing. Rather than something where the band is nervous and trying to play as correctly as they can, and afterwards inperfections are overdubbed with autotune and filler songs cut out.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:21:26 PM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »

I know it was not axls greatest performance, and ive said it before, as for axl he sung good. it still sounds like the band was having a blast in vegas and im looking foward to see that in the dvd. id rather have a show where the guitarist misses a few notes, the Singer cant reach as high as he wanted and where the drummer messed up something, but still the band playing tight and enjoying them self and going for that next level when playing. Rather than something where the band is nervous and trying to play as correctly as they can, and afterwards inperfections are overdubbed with autotune and filler songs cut out.

Axl certainly seems to having more fun on these last few legs then I have seen...well, ever, really.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: