Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:27:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Gibson.com?s Top 50 Frontmen of All Time
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gibson.com?s Top 50 Frontmen of All Time  (Read 12210 times)
Sergott
Opening Act

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »

Roger Daltrey (The Who) Huh Higher than Axl? no way... Jim Morrison should be higher than Axl as well, Iggy Pop, Bruce Springsteen, Prince and Johnny Cash should be higher than Axl. The other are disputable... it depends on your taste of music really to be honest.

I think this ranking is based on how this frontmen also marked Rock History and an era, its not just their vocal ability or talent. Guns have marked a generation, but they only had 3 considerable albums, Appetite, Use Your Illusion 1 and 2, and 3 albums is not much if you ask me, even with Appetite (The greatest rock album ever).  Chinese Democracy shouldnt be eligible for this ranking as people dont usually consider this to be Guns N'Roses (Not Saying that its a right thing to do).
But when u compare a frontman that with his band released about 3 or 4 cds, to bands that have like 20, of course the frontmen is gonna come off a little bit behind in the ranks as the others, and i think fairly so.

In my personal opinion, if Axl would have had released more material with the old band, and more material already with this new band, he would be right in the 2nd place on that list!

I don't think "It's 5 O'clock somewhere" would've improved things.
GW2
Opening Act

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »

Any list that has Mick Jagger listed above Freddy Mercury is complete rubbish. Axl at #20? Sorry, he's number 2 behind Freddy. Frankly, I'd put Garth Brooks above Mick Jagger, but that's just me......
Christian
VIP

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 03:32:10 PM »

#16 Iggy Pop
 Embarrassed
ChiDem2010
Rocker

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 04:13:34 PM »

People's perceptions of that list would be different if they stop thinking about singing voice. The list is detailing greatest frontmen/women not best vocal ability or style. How does this list hold up when you are thinking about how these particular people lead/led their band or solo act? Mick Jagger has been doing it with the Stones since 1965! that warrants a high slot on this list.
John
Rocker

...Gone To Hell

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 05:43:36 PM »

People's perceptions of that list would be different if they stop thinking about singing voice. The list is detailing greatest frontmen/women not best vocal ability or style. How does this list hold up when you are thinking about how these particular people lead/led their band or solo act? Mick Jagger has been doing it with the Stones since 1965! that warrants a high slot on this list.

So you're saying we should stop thinking in terms of singing ability, but instead base it on how long theyve been a frontman for?

The amount of years being a frontman shouldnt matter whatsoever unless it contributes to his/her vocal performance, stage impression, charisma etc.

Might as well just have a 'ALL TIME LONGEST SERVING  FRONTMAN LIST'

Leeds Festival - 29/08/10, Birmingham - 17/10/10, Manchester - 18/10/10, Liverpool - 20/05/12, Manchester 29/05/12
ChiDem2010
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 07:44:50 PM »

So you're saying we should stop thinking in terms of singing ability, but instead base it on how long theyve been a frontman for?

The amount of years being a frontman shouldnt matter whatsoever unless it contributes to his/her vocal performance, stage impression, charisma etc.

Might as well just have a 'ALL TIME LONGEST SERVING  FRONTMAN LIST'

I didnt say that did I? I simply said that there is more to a frontman than their singing. Businesses have great leaders, so do bands; the other thing that is involved is experience that is why I mentioned Jagger. There is also charisma. Freddie Mercury, yes he had a good voice, but he also had an uncanny way of getting the crowd to turn into puddy in his hands. Think before you take things too literally.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:49:47 PM by ChiDem2010 » Logged
Maxi Fisher
Headliner

Yep we're fucked !

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 01:39:11 AM »

Good to Bon Scott and Ed there but please Prince??? WTF
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:41:04 AM by Maxi Fisher » Logged
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 02:44:47 AM »

Good to Bon Scott and Ed there but please Prince??? WTF

Prince definitely deserves to be there.  I was lucky enough to see Prince play once at a benefit, it was an incredible show.

And Axl should be higher in my opinion of course.

"Purple Rain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJfhGL0F6LE

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:46:50 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Uzi76
Headliner

Despite everything, all is beautiful

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 08:10:20 AM »

Personally:

1) Axl Rose
2) Freddy Mercury
3) Steven Tyler
4) Jim Morrison
5) Mick Jagger

Remember in this game we call life that noone said it's fair.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 10:28:33 AM »

1.)Axl Rose

Certainly in my (and I would guees most of our) lifetime (34 years old).

That said- based on "tradition" and what I've been told and such- can't really argue with Mercury, Morrison, Jagger, Plant and Tyler being "in the mix" with Axl and beig ranked ahead of him depending on individual preference. No matter what- Axl's definitley got to be top 5-6 though IMHO. Guys like Bono, Springsteen, Jackson, Presley, and Brown (all great musicians) just seem to belong in a completely different category to me. Some seem more like the head of social activist movements who happen to produce some great music (Bono, Springsteen) and others are just plain too "commercial" or "show biz" (Jackson, Presley, Brown) for me to really consider them "front men". I suppose that's pretty subjective though...

I think this ranking is based on how this frontmen also marked Rock History and an era, its not just their vocal ability or talent. Guns have marked a generation, but they only had 3 considerable albums, Appetite, Use Your Illusion 1 and 2, and 3 albums is not much if you ask me, even with Appetite (The greatest rock album ever).  Chinese Democracy shouldnt be eligible for this ranking as people dont usually consider this to be Guns N'Roses (Not Saying that its a right thing to do).
But when u compare a frontman that with his band released about 3 or 4 cds, to bands that have like 20, of course the frontmen is gonna come off a little bit behind in the ranks as the others, and i think fairly so.

In my personal opinion, if Axl would have had released more material with the old band, and more material already with this new band, he would be right in the 2nd place on that list!

I hear you. Yet I have an alternate take. Tom me- for better or worse (definitely for the better IMHO)- Chinese Democracy is an essential part of evaluating Axl Rose as a "front man". None of those guys (except arguably Tyler briefly) to my knowledge ever attempted anything anywhere near as ambitious or counter-intuitive as Axl did with Chinese Democracy and the near complete reconfiguaration (save Dizzy) of his band. The "larger" general public may have had a "mixed reaction" to Chinese Democracy- but the fact of the matter is that he ultimately did pull it off and plenty of listeners throughout the world find it absolutely brilliant and some critics seem to be coming around too (and some like the respected David Fricke even acknowledged its brilliance right away). Anyway, seems to me one way of judging a front man is evaluating how dedicated to their "vision" and craft they are and to what ends they are willing to risk it all to make it come into being. I honestly- and objectively (as objective as I can be anyway)- don't think any one could ever take anything away from Axl on that front- regardless of what they think about the final product. He's really unparalleled in that sense... and should be "rewarded" on polls like this for that aspect of his career- not penalized. ok
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:39:35 AM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 11:45:07 AM »

Finally a list where people don't put Kurt Kobain in the top 5 for no reason.

The order seems to be pretty out of wack a bit...but what's with all the hate for Prince? The guy's incredible. Michael Jackson has admitted on several accounts how jealous he was of Prince through out his career because the guy can literally do everything. On a list for concerts to see before you die, Prince was #1 because he's the best of both worlds. He'll have his poppy hits for the ladies and then he'll rip on that guitar like no other for the guys in the audience. He was also ranked the most underrated guitarist of all time...and I agree.

As for my top 5...I'd have to say:

1. Axl Rose (Epitomizes rock n roll frontman)
2. Mick Jagger (Ditto)
3. Freddie Mercury
4. Jim Morrison
5. Paul McCartney (w/ John Lennon?) - I mean Helter Skelter? That song was wayyyy ahead of it's time...that would probably be a hit today haha.

#6 would have been Robert Plant and #7 would be Bon Scott...he'd be further up for me but I like the other bands better than Led Zeppelin. I like Led Zeppelin a lot...but I like the others more.

I mean it all depends on how they're ranking this thing. I remember another guitar magazine did one of these a while back where they rated talent, sex appeal, and a bunch of others individually and added them up.  Not sure what they're doing here with some of these other guys in the mix though.

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »

Bono a better frontman than Axl and David Lee Roth?

Axl and Diamond Dave epitomize Rock n Roll and define "frontman"

Bono is great and all...but he writes good lyrics and does what he needs to do...there really isn't much rock n roll about him...at least when comparing him to others like Axl and Diamond Dave, etc.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:54:03 AM by The Illusionist » Logged

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »

Thing with Prince, he is Axl and Slash rolled into one musician. picture how incredible that is.

Yeah very happy Kurt didn't make the list. I think time isn't being kind to Nirvana. I liked them when they came out,but when u go back and watch/listen objectively they are a really really shitty fucking band.

Terrible guitar playing , horrible lyrics.

I do think a lot of the negativity around Axl hurts him with these lists.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »

Yeah very happy Kurt didn't make the list. I think time isn't being kind to Nirvana. I liked them when they came out,but when u go back and watch/listen objectively they are a really really shitty fucking band.

But if this is a list about frontmen, none of that should matter no? To me, being a great frontman isn't really about singing ability or lyrics or whatever, it's a whole range of things. And to me, Kurt was a good frontman for his particular band.

Plus, I totally disagree with the "shitty fucking band" comment, I still love 'em. Tongue Grin

On another note, I always disagree with these lists when they put in solo artists like Elvis. Obviously influential but I always see 'frontmen' as being part of a band. But that's just me....

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »

But if this is a list about frontmen, none of that should matter no? To me, being a great frontman isn't really about singing ability or lyrics or whatever, it's a whole range of things. And to me, Kurt was a good frontman for his particular band.

Plus, I totally disagree with the "shitty fucking band" comment, I still love 'em. Tongue Grin

Certainly. Cobain has his place as a front man of historical significance. No argument here. He should definitely be well down the list from Axl though and many many others for that matter. Additionally- to the point earlier discussed- if anyone should be penalized for lack of output v. legacy attained- it's definitely Cobain and NOT Axl. The guy seemingly gets a free ride on the premise that there was all this great music he was going to create but he never got the chance. Upon closer inspection the reality seems to be more that he was feeling pretty "burned out" creatively and that may have played some part in him offing himself. Anyway- he may have snapped out of it eventually-  but this idea that the world was somehow denied 10 mind-blowingly awesome Nirvana albums b/c of Cobain's death always seemed rather absurd to me. Frankly- as great as they may have been in the early 90's I personally think Nirvana (as they were) today would come off as pretty schmaltzy or schticky- almost a paradoy of themselves. That's just me though...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
icpillusions
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »

Axl should be higher on the list.  My reasons are:

1. He knows how to play the crowd well.  From an angry crowd because of a late start, to them loving it when he starts. Then brings them down a notch with a ballad just to blow their minds with a high energy rock song.  The crowd is physically and mentally exhausted after the show.

2. His energy on stage is explosive.  His lungs are like airballoons.

3. I heard he can vocally reach like 6 of the 8 octaves.  Makes his singing close to the sound of the albums but live.

Not all the frontmen/women on the list can do this.
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »

Gibson.com?s Top 50 Frontmen (and Frontwomen): Full List, Readers Poll Revealed

20. Axl Rose (Guns N? Roses)

When Axl Rose first brought us to our collective ?cha-na-na-na-na-na-knees? with 1987?s debut single ?Welcome to the Jungle,? the world was introduced to one of rock?s all-time great frontmen. Much to the chagrin of the hordes of bedazzled lipstick-sporting pretty boys ?manning? the mics of hair bands far and wide, Axl ? with his plethora of tattoos, angry scowl, snake-like gyrations and preternaturally-gifted metal voice ? single-handedly b****-slapped all pretenders straight back to their mamas? ever-loving bosoms. ?

Gibson.com?s Top 50 Frontmen (and Frontwomen) of All Time

1. Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)
2. Freddie Mercury (Queen)
3. Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
4. Elvis Presley
5. James Brown
6. Jimi Hendrix
7. Michael Jackson (The Jackson 5)
8. Roger Daltrey (The Who)
9. Prince
10. Jim Morrison (The Doors)
11. Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
12. David Bowie
13. Tina Turner
14. Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
15. Johnny Cash
16. Iggy Pop (The Stooges)
17. Bruce Springsteen
18. Paul McCartney (The Beatles, Wings)
19. Bono (U2)
20. Axl Rose (Guns N? Roses)
21. Johnny Rotten (John Lydon) (Sex Pistols, Public Enemy Ltd.)
22. Rod Stewart (Faces)
23. David Lee Roth (Van Halen)
24. Joe Strummer (The Clash)
25. Bon Scott (AC/DC)
26. Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
27. Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
28. Janis Joplin (Big Brother and the Holding Company)
29. Debbie Harry (Blondie)
30. Chuck Berry
31. Little Richard
32. Liam Gallagher (Oasis)
33. Michael Stipe (R.E.M.)
34. Cab Calloway
35. Alice Cooper
36. Morrissey (The Smiths)
37. Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
38. Joey Ramone (The Ramones)
39. Elton John
40. Neil Diamond
41. Robin Zander (Cheap Trick)
42. Otis Redding
43. John Lennon (The Beatles)
44. Howlin? Wolf
45. Stevie Wonder
46. Jackie Wilson
47. Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
48. Marc Bolan (T. Rex)
49. Tom Waits
50. Garth Brooks

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/all-top-50-0827/

Pretty damn good company.  The people above him are pretty damn good as well.  I like his spot.
alexander
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 01:23:35 AM »

Mick Jagger as number !?Huh?  the man CANNOT sing.  His voice is flat as hell.  he does have some stage presence but thats as far as it goes man!!!  I just dont get Mick.  For me.......1 Axl...2....Robert Plant....3....Freddy Mercury......4....Kurt Cobain......etc
Thyme
Opening Act

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 02:46:20 AM »

If you follow Gibson online or on Twitter - this comes as no surprise.
Their 'lists' are usually bullshit.

They published a list of the 50 guitar albums of all time - Appetite - #5 - fair call - KISS Alive! didnt even make the list. I know that Ace Frehley was never the most technically gifted of players, but very few have been more influential on generations of guitarists than Ace.

Axl at #20 - ridiculous - he should be no lower than #7.

I'll Be Here Standing Until The Bitter End......
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 10:36:19 AM »

The thing with Nirvana is that they weren't "shitty" they were just beyond overrated. The fact that Nirvana was the "face" of alternative grunge music over vastly superior bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc. is just mind boggling.

I mean you put Pearl Jam's "Even Flow", "Alive", "Black" (from Ten) along with Alice in Chains' "Man in the Box", "Sea of Sorrow", and "Bleed the Freak" (from Facelift) along with Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage", "Outshined", "Jesus Christ Pose" (from Badmotorfinger) next to Nirvana's crash and bang songs like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" and it's just not even close. It really doesn't make sense when you listen to all of those songs and you realize that Nirvana's songs were what made "alternative" and "grunge" and they were the faces of that era despite all of the other bands being so much better.

And I don't understand the post by "Alexander" either about not liking Mick Jagger as a frontman while liking Kurt Cobain in the same breath...

Kurt Cobain was a fraud. Literally. He literally thought his band was the best band that ever existed and I strongly believe a lot of people just fell for it because of how confident he was. He was a hypocrite who pretended to hate the mainstream but appeared on more Rolling Stone covers than any other grunge band of that time and who had more MTV music videos than Pearl Jam did.  If you hate the mainstream...then don't do magazine covers and music videos! That's like as mainstream as you can get.

That's like me saying that I'm against animal cruelty...and then I'm seen kicking my dog down the stairs because he shit on the rug.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: