Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:34:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash Talks About Duff McKagan's Oct. 2010 Jam With Guns N' Roses
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Talks About Duff McKagan's Oct. 2010 Jam With Guns N' Roses  (Read 29025 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »

oh C'mon now guys. no need to Dead Horse this.

Sure there is, it's degenerated into the usual "this guy did that the other guy said this" reunion dream chasers or reunion dissenters.

Message forums are for discussion and debate. the hotter the topic, the better the debate and the better the board is.

A topic can still be hot and discussed/debated in a different section and all the above has been discussed/debated ad nauseum.

I mean how many fucking times can we discuss Slash going to Axl's house and lying about it and Axl selling him out to the press afterwards??  One action done in drunken stupidity and the other done it spiteful vengeance and both equally fucking stupid.

Haven't this been done to fucking death?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2010, 09:42:41 AM »

Yeah, this thread should be locked. It's the same old fucking arguments and counter arguments that are posted every time Slash says something.

Fuck 'Em All.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2010, 09:44:39 AM »

i hate the money argument though. as if people are allergic to money. Who isn't in it for the money? please

Money's good as long as you don't sell your soul to get it.

lets not forget that for Axl keeping the GN'R name was also highly financial motivated (Axl: "After the monies invested by old Geffen (...) dropping the name became suicide.")!

Re-Union time, baby!!
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2010, 09:49:11 AM »

Hey Jarmo. What if Axl left GNR and got replaced with someone? Would you still not care?  hihi

Everyone has gotten off the topic of the thread, but what a great question for a lot of people.

libertad
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2010, 09:55:19 AM »

Yeah but I don't consider anything Slash has done to be "selling his soul"

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2010, 09:57:37 AM »

I think he had a great year, with an album going #3-not bad at all.

libertad
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2010, 10:07:01 AM »

i hate the money argument though. as if people are allergic to money. Who isn't in it for the money? please

Money's good as long as you don't sell your soul to get it.

lets not forget that for Axl keeping the GN'R name was also highly financial motivated (Axl: "After the monies invested by old Geffen (...) dropping the name became suicide.")!

That's music business-related. As a musician, that's part of his job.
What Axl hasn't done is release a product he didn't have full belief in in order to make a quick buck (everyone in VR has said they weren't happy with Libertad). Nor has he charged upwards of $100 for the privelege of meeting him (again, something all of VR were guilty of). Nor has he taken money to advertise non-music related products like Monster Energy Drink, or Volkswagen, etc. (I'm aware that GN'R music did appear in a Harley Davidson ad, and yes, I was disappointed). Nor has he endorsed a TV show that is doing more to destroy decent music than practically anything else at the moment.

Some people would include things like Slash performing or recording with people like Fergie as further evidence of his being in it for the money. But as far as I'm concerned, he's a musician, and anything he does as part of being a musician is his business, and fair game. It's the non-music related business decisions he's made that I don't like.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2010, 10:13:43 AM »

Axl has stated he was talked into touring in 2002 (Eddie Trunk interview) and has stated he was not happy with many parts of the Use Your Illusion records.

libertad
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »

Yeah but once again. Slash was starting over. He didn't have the GNR brand or the major label's resources anymore. So u gotta do stuff sometimes to keep yourself out there.

should he not have and become a has been or do what he did and further elevate his profile and stock to Iconic status?

I can't fault anybody for making money and furthering their career. he did what he had to do to stay in the public eye.

Slash:
Guitar Hero
Axl:
Grand Theft Auto

Slash Volkswagon

Axl: Harley Davidson

Do i need to bring up the tons of movies that feature GNR songs on the soundtrack? 

Axl did allow Chinese Democracy to be sold to the highest bidder "Best Buy" which made it very difficult for a lot of people in rural towns to acquire it. Axl,being from one himself where the only place to buy music was K mart *I'm from one also* should've known that a lot of people wouldn't easily be able to get a copy.

I seriously doubt they "hated" LIbertad. they said that cause it flopped so thats the same cop out as a Pro Fighter saying they were injured or overtrained or what not.
Axl isn't a sell out but lets don't pretend he is allergic to money either.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:48:59 AM by D » Logged

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2010, 10:51:06 AM »

I don't think there's anything wrong with songs being licensed for movie or game soundtracks, by the way. Both of these things need music, and the song selection can in many cases really add to the end product. It's a win-win situation. Songs for commercials, though? A big no-no, for me. When the song becomes associated with a specific car or mobile phone, it really devalues it as a piece of art (which at the end of the day a song is, and should be respected as such, no matter how arty it isn't).

Also... songs in Guitar Hero = fine. But being the poster boy for the game = not fine. It may be confusing to some, but hey. (I hold these standards to everybody, by the way, not just musicians... it's just easier to tell with musicians when something is purely financially-motivated and whether it's for the good of their music).

Also... not pretending Axl is allergic to money. But at the end of the day, you can't say money is his main motivation for anything either. If it was, he'd have released 'Chinese Democracy' when Geffen refused to continue funding it, instead of just paying millions out of his own pocket (that he must have known there was a fair chance he'd never see again) to complete it. And I'm sure he's had a lot of offers from company's to be a poster boy for their product... as far as I can tell, Harley Davidson was the only one he'd said yes to.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:54:27 AM by AxlReznor » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2010, 10:52:46 AM »

Yes I hate the song in a commercial deal also

Slash didn't put a song in Volkswagon, he just jammed a bit

Harley Davidson had "Better" correct?

so everytime u hear Better do u think of a Harley now?

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2010, 10:53:54 AM »

Yeah but once again. Slash was starting over. He didn't have the GNR brand or the major label's resources anymore. So u gotta do stuff sometimes to keep yourself out there.

should he not have and become a has been or do what he did and further elevate his profile and stock to Iconic status?

I can't fault anybody for making money and furthering their career. he did what he had to do to stay in the public eye.

Slash:
Guitar Hero
Axl:
Grand Theft Auto

Slash Volkswagon

Axl: Harley Davidson

Do i need to bring up the tons of movies that feature GNR songs on the soundtrack? 

Axl isn't a sell out but lets don't pretend he is allergic to money either.

The Axl-Grand Theft Auto comparison is a poor one at best, D.  That was essentially a cameo role in the game, nothing more.  Slash's role with Guitar Hero was prominent, featured and heavily hyped.  The Harley Davidson one is a poor comparison as well as the "Better" video never get off the ground with them, did it?  Didn't it end up being a commercial featuring "Paradise City"?  That serves to promote the old band, Slash included, more than the new band.

Ali
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »

Yes I hate the song in a commercial deal also

Slash didn't put a song in Volkswagon, he just jammed a bit

Harley Davidson had "Better" correct?

so everytime u hear Better do u think of a Harley now?

Yeah, it had "Better" for about two minutes before it was pulled, and "Paradise City" was used instead. Thankfully, the commercial never aired in this country... but if I'd seen it every time I watched Lost or something, then that probably would be what I associated it with, yes.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2010, 11:09:37 AM »

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. How does any of this have any relevance to the music Slash or Axl make? Why do fans want their 'heroes' to be saints, living a model life, not telling lies, helping children in Burma or whatever? People should stop imposing their opinion on how these guys should behave or live their lives, be it with regards to making money however they see fit or in any other matter. Frankly it's none of your business. The fact is they do / have done drugs, gotten arrested numerous times and are hardly role models of any sort. We are their fans because of only one reason and that is because they do what they do best - make  the kind of rock n' roll music that we like. What Slash does in his spare time or what he says in the press has no bearing on my like or dislike of his music and that's the same with Axl.

Perhaps we forget that they are human beings too? These come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and behaviours.

Fuck 'Em All.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »

It doesn't affect their music at all. Of which I will still continue to listen to no matter what choices they make that I disagree with. Doesn't mean I'm going to pretend that I don't have a problem with it.

I personally don't think I attacked Slash personally nor his music with my comments. Just told it as I saw it.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2010, 11:17:17 AM »

It doesn't affect their music at all. Of which I will still continue to listen to no matter what choices they make that I disagree with. Doesn't mean I'm going to pretend that I don't have a problem with it.

That's exactly my point. Why do you have a problem with it? Simply because he doesn't behave the way you want him to behave.

Fuck 'Em All.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2010, 11:21:26 AM »

That's exactly my point. Why do you have a problem with it? Simply because he doesn't behave the way you want him to behave.

I'm not about to tell anyone how to behave. But if someone doesn't behave in a way I like, whether they're Slash or a work colleague, then I'm not going to pretend I approve of them. It's as simple as that. Within reason, everyone's free to do as they like... and everyone's free to disagree with other people's actions. Also, within reason, of course. I've seen some vile and vitriolic things said about people in the last few weeks which is totally uncalled for.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2010, 11:29:52 AM »

I'm not about to tell anyone how to behave. But if someone doesn't behave in a way I like, whether they're Slash or a work colleague, then I'm not going to pretend I approve of them. It's as simple as that. Within reason, everyone's free to do as they like... and everyone's free to disagree with other people's actions. Also, within reason, of course. I've seen some vile and vitriolic things said about people in the last few weeks which is totally uncalled for.

Disapproving of someone you know is one thing, hating a rock star you've never met based on what you read is another. I feel people take these things too personally, which is why this thread is this long.

Fuck 'Em All.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! God ....I gotta say one thing. As someone in a band...I wish my fans were this passionate. Not that I don't love my fans but geez. That being said. I feel like people act in absolutes. Your allowed to have your favorites. Some people like black some people like white. There is no right answer. Im sure you've all heard the analogy that being in a band is like being in a marriage. It is. It starts out as a brotherhood and ends up like a marriage. Nobody knows the issues between Slash and Axl or Axl and Slash to not offend the fan boys of either. People here act like they know what occurred between them. Seriously...enjoy the music. Be a fan. Enjoy the contributions both have made to one of the greatest bands of all time. I love when people try to piss on one or the other. Whether you like it or not Slash is partly responsible for putting this band on the map. As is Axl. People act like Slash was just a guitar player who could be replaced by anyone. He wasn't. Chemistry in a band is everything. They had it. That's why there albums worked. So to deny him his credit is lame.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2010, 12:22:33 PM »

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. How does any of this have any relevance to the music Slash or Axl make? Why do fans want their 'heroes' to be saints, living a model life, not telling lies, helping children in Burma or whatever? People should stop imposing their opinion on how these guys should behave or live their lives, be it with regards to making money however they see fit or in any other matter. Frankly it's none of your business. The fact is they do / have done drugs, gotten arrested numerous times and are hardly role models of any sort. We are their fans because of only one reason and that is because they do what they do best - make  the kind of rock n' roll music that we like. What Slash does in his spare time or what he says in the press has no bearing on my like or dislike of his music and that's the same with Axl.

Perhaps we forget that they are human beings too? These come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and behaviours.

Excellent post, pretty much exactly how I feel.

And yes, this does belong in the Dead Horse section, I wish this poor horse would just be allowed to RIP....

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: