Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:29:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash Talks About Duff McKagan's Oct. 2010 Jam With Guns N' Roses
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Talks About Duff McKagan's Oct. 2010 Jam With Guns N' Roses  (Read 29301 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »

Everyone in the world does things for money.  Fact.

Slash made an album with his own money though.  Kinda cool for someone who only cares about money.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2010, 12:29:58 PM »

Slash made an album with his own money though.  Kinda cool for someone who only cares about money.

Actually, he makes more money that way, since if the album is successful, he doesn't have to pay record labels and all the middle men.
Damn me! Whose side am I on? Grin

Fuck 'Em All.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2010, 12:39:57 PM »

Actually, he makes more money that way, since if the album is successful, he doesn't have to pay record labels and all the middle men.
Damn me! Whose side am I on? Grin

hihi

Maybe Perla refused to purchase his star on the walk of fame when he filed for divorce.  he can use that money to pay for that  hihi

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2010, 12:55:49 PM »

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. How does any of this have any relevance to the music Slash or Axl make? Why do fans want their 'heroes' to be saints, living a model life, not telling lies, helping children in Burma or whatever? People should stop imposing their opinion on how these guys should behave or live their lives, be it with regards to making money however they see fit or in any other matter. Frankly it's none of your business. The fact is they do / have done drugs, gotten arrested numerous times and are hardly role models of any sort. We are their fans because of only one reason and that is because they do what they do best - make  the kind of rock n' roll music that we like. What Slash does in his spare time or what he says in the press has no bearing on my like or dislike of his music and that's the same with Axl.

Perhaps we forget that they are human beings too? These come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and behaviours.

Excellent post, pretty much exactly how I feel.

And yes, this does belong in the Dead Horse section, I wish this poor horse would just be allowed to RIP....

Excellent comments that actually convey some common sense around here.  I wish this same old argument would just rest in peace! I thought someone actually deleted this whole thread, but then I saw that it was only moved. 
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2010, 01:14:17 PM »

They are both in it for the money and that is fine with me. The music industry is a business and that is their business. The are 40 year old millionaires with very expensive lifestyles.

I don't think the projects and business decisions either one has made account to selling out. When I think of bands that sold out I think of bands like Greenday not GnR. I think Axl and Slash have put their music and themselves out there but could have exploited themselves a lot more if they really wanted to.

I agree that Slash had push his brand harder than Axl when he left GnR. It is easier to rely on the GnR name to make money. as one of the posters said before how many people go to GnR concerts today and still think that Slash is the guitarists. I think Steven is really the only one out there trying to cling on to his GnR roots trying to exploit himself to make some money and I still don't blame him because it is way better than getting a 9-5 job if he does not have too. 
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »

Also... not pretending Axl is allergic to money. But at the end of the day, you can't say money is his main motivation for anything either. If it was, he'd have released 'Chinese Democracy' when Geffen refused to continue funding it, instead of just paying millions out of his own pocket (that he must have known there was a fair chance he'd never see again) to complete it.

once again keeping the GN'R name was highly financial motivated to an extreme (Axl: "After the monies invested by old Geffen (...) dropping the name became suicide.")! he kept the GN'R name because of money!! thats clearly a main motivation.
by the way when old Geffen stopped to continue supporting CD Axl did sell his publishing rights (the 20-year deal valued by Industry experts at about $19 million).....isnt it more like he had to sell them to survive? even his attorney said that Axl basically needs money (a few years back). Axl had to give up some of his rights cause of money, something you'd normally not expect from him, huh? there seems to be an expensive unrealistic life-style for a lot of years, thats a main part why we're having this scenario. its surely not all about his "vision" alone.

Re-Union time, baby!!
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2010, 03:23:27 PM »

What it comes down to, is that everyone has a different opinion.

The first 5 posters after the OP, agreed with my point of view. I understand there are people on this site who love Slash, and would love nothing more than a reunion, and that's fine.

But what you got to understand, just as jarmo has stated many times. This is a Guns N' Roses fan site, which actively supports GN'R in 2010. Alot of new fans come here, as they like to be able to read info about the current band, without old band issues always coming up.

Some people need to understand that alot of people will feel the same as me and jarmo. I understand that people like all incarnations and love the current band new and old, which is also cool. But alot of people have made their own judgement on the ' Slash ' issue, through years and years of observing the relationship between him, the media and GN'R.

I love all eras of GN'R, but I will admit that I feel more at home with the ' new era ' if you like (2001-present). Because this is the version of the band who I became a fan of, and this is the version of the band who I have seen live. And when people talk of reunions, I would prefer a reunion of the 2002 lineup, more than the 1987 one.

I think people need to look at what site they are on. And if they can't handle a few people on a GN'R pro site, saying their feelings on Slash. Go to another board, you can praise him and bash the current line-up and wish for a reunion. There are alot of them out there, believe me, that's why this site is so unique and special.  Cheesy
Mr Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »

Jarmo can you please give your thoughts to my question? What if Axl left gnr and got replaced? What would your opinion be of gnr then?

Or is Axl the only irreplacable member is your eyes?
John
Rocker

...Gone To Hell

« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2010, 06:14:16 PM »

Jarmo can you please give your thoughts to my question? What if Axl left gnr and got replaced? What would your opinion be of gnr then?

I'm not Jarmo, but I'll answer your question.

Axl would never 'leave' GN'R.

Leeds Festival - 29/08/10, Birmingham - 17/10/10, Manchester - 18/10/10, Liverpool - 20/05/12, Manchester 29/05/12
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2010, 07:05:20 PM »

He realises that all the shit he said in 2004/05 to promote Velvet, is doing himself no favours in relation to his true desire. So now in interviews, he always tries to admit that he was wrong for saying them things.

And now Duff has joined Axl onstage, I honestly feel that there will be some tension between the two (Slash,Duff). When Velvet first started it was like Slash, Duff and Matt was all united against Axl and was joined in unison. But now Matt has spoke favourably of Axl, and now Duff has even played with him. So I feel there will definitely be a different vibe around Velvet, if they do decide to start it up again.

Slash is like the only one left out of the original five who hasn't had any contact with Axl since 97 (even adler met Axl in Vegas in 2006).

So yes, I do feel sorry for Slash, but if you look at it, it really is his own doing.
[/quote]well i dont know what happened during 94-94 but the current situation is pretty much what axl could want for him
i dont know mayby its karma  i like slash very much but i have always preferred axl
and the fact is that guns n?roses isint the ??classic lineup?? its every thing that is  now and i love it that way

i would like to see axl and matt playing together but not spesially in guns
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:07:12 PM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »

I'm not Jarmo, but I'll answer your question.

Axl would never 'leave' GN'R.

What a stupid analogy.  Tongue

Axl is GN'R and as the above poster said, he would never leave as he is the vision and creative catalist of Guns N' Roses, and always has been.

Seems like someone is pulling an imaginary situation out of their ass, to try to justify their agenda.  Shocked
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2010, 05:28:41 AM »

Axl is GN'R...

so the current line-up is not a band you say?  Wink

Re-Union time, baby!!
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2010, 08:08:57 AM »

Axl is GNR!  But not because of any creative catalyst BS.  The musicians helped write all the great music.  (and back then were still in the band to play it). Axl is GNR  Because contracts going back to 1995 state so.

Slash + Duff were the first members of Nu Guns.  They just didn't like the idea of being hired hands.  (so they quit)

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2010, 08:49:07 AM »

Slash + Duff were the first members of Nu Guns.  They just didn't like the idea of being hired hands.  (so they quit)

With all due respect, I believe that story is complete bollocks.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »

Axl is GN'R...

so the current line-up is not a band you say?  Wink

Of course it is a band, what my point is, is that since 1986 Axl has been the most prominent creative force behind the band. And that is true to this day, Axl guides the band to what works and what don't.

A good example was when Slash wanted the lyrics to Paradise to go, 'Where the girls are fat, and got big titties'. Axl had none of it, and saved the song from being a 'Poison' like party song.

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »

eh, maybe since end of 90s with his 1-boss+hired-musicians line-up. during AFD days it surely was much more of a band/gang who all had their creative inputs on a similar level and what made them THAT big in the first place, even former friends like Marc Canter and Alan Niven said so   ok

Re-Union time, baby!!
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2010, 01:56:20 PM »

eh, maybe since end of 90s with his 1-boss+hired-musicians line-up. during AFD days it surely was much more of a band/gang who all had their creative inputs on a similar level and what made them THAT big in the first place, even former friends like Marc Canter and Alan Niven said so   ok

What I am saying is that even since the early days, Axl was always the one who had to approve any decisions. Doesn't mean that it's not a band, it just shows that there is a figure head to the entitiy which was always Axl.

You are lying to yourself if you think that the rest of the band made as much decisions as Axl did in regard to GN'R in the 80s. In my opinion Axl was always the driving force behind Guns N' Roses, and that remains true to this day.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2010, 02:24:41 PM »

once again i disagree when it comes to the AFD era. management played a much much more significant role there aswell, f.e. the band had to play shows in Canada even Axl wasnt up for it (compare to some Niven interview). today it hardly would work that way, Dougstein tried in summer 2001 with european tour....fired. Merck tried and partly succeed late summer 2006 which in the end was one of the reasons costing his job. you're trying to point a wrong picture like Axl was always THE one to drive the band van. today yes, back then: no. remember there was a GN'R partnership even in illusion times where Duff, Slash, Axl all had about similar rights in it. thats surely not the case today, there aint a pitman/Axl/Dizzy/Huge/whoever partnership like the original members had.

Re-Union time, baby!!
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2010, 03:28:33 PM »

once again i disagree when it comes to the AFD era. management played a much much more significant role there aswell, f.e. the band had to play shows in Canada even Axl wasnt up for it (compare to some Niven interview). today it hardly would work that way, Dougstein tried in summer 2001 with european tour....fired. Merck tried and partly succeed late summer 2006 which in the end was one of the reasons costing his job. you're trying to point a wrong picture like Axl was always THE one to drive the band van. today yes, back then: no. remember there was a GN'R partnership even in illusion times where Duff, Slash, Axl all had about similar rights in it. thats surely not the case today, there aint a pitman/Axl/Dizzy/Huge/whoever partnership like the original members had.

You are talking about the business aspect more than anything. This conversation came about, by a poster suggesting what would jarmo do if Axl left GN'R. I suggested that would never happen as Axl was always the creative catalyst behind the band from the start. This was always the case and still is in 2010, the business aspect doesn't come into it.

In leading the GN'R entity, Axl was always the strongest link since the bands formation, and he still is today.

And we are not just on about GN'R here. 9 times out of 10, in any band the singer is always the face of the band, and carries alot more responsibilities.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:30:45 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »

And we are not just on about GN'R here. 9 times out of 10, in any band the singer is always the face of the band, and carries alot more responsibilities.

Don't expect any of these guys to admit that.

Since day one, one guy had a vision. Looked ahead instead of being content and standing still.

They can talk about managers all they want. They seem to think bands work for the managers instead of the other way around.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: