Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:47:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NCAA College Basketball | 2010-11
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NCAA College Basketball | 2010-11  (Read 39851 times)
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« on: November 19, 2010, 02:47:30 AM »

The new season is here!  Summer is gone and college hoops is back.

Who's gonna do it this year?

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:32:31 AM »

Pitino got UL off to a great start against Butler

Kentucky will be good but losing Kanter will kill our shot at final four imo. Calipari put too much faith in Kanter. Shoulda had a backup plan. Not a lot of faith in Elroy Vargas

we do have a much better shooting team. Terrence Jones, Brandon knight, Darius Miller, Deron Lamb..... we got a lot of talent. not as much size. we will see.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 05:51:59 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:09:24 PM »

The CUSE is back!!!   Cool beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 05:52:28 AM »

UK 3 of the top 6 recruits signed for next year PLUS the 25th!

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:26:08 AM »

Kentucky's a factory for Lottery/1st Round picks.  It's kind of like Duke for the players who aren't academically sound.   Shocked

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 05:42:43 PM »

D, what's it like to be a fan of a team that has ONE year players year in and year out?  And I don't mean that as a slight.  What I mean is, isn't it hard to get used to a certain team and players when there's so much turnover? 

I suppose, as long as they win, it really doesn't matter.  Personally though, I like to see players grow and mature, even if it's only for 2-4 years.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:08:21 PM »

Doesn't bother me for these reasons:

1. Can still follow them in the NBA
2. NBA makes our program look great now we have one superstar *Rondo* and 2 future superstars *Wall* *Cousins* People use to use that argument against me.. well who from KY is good in the NBA? I use to have to say well..... Tayshaun Prince isn't bad.... now I got some legit top tier players to fire back at them with.

3.I got to see how bad it sucked for 8 years NOT having any one and dones. Those last couple Tubby teams and then Billy Gillispie.... I'll take one and dones over that shit show Gillispie put on the court any night of the week.

However, it isn't 100 percent loved, reasons why:

1. is hard to get super attached, knowing they are gone after one season.
2. One and Dones scare the shit out of me. They have no incentive to play by the rules. why do they care if the team down the road gets put on probation or stripped of wins? As long as it is the proper bridge to get them to their multi million dollar NBA deal, why do they care about not taking money, or going to class? So yeah, that certainly worries me big time.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 06:09:17 PM »

Kentucky's a factory for Lottery/1st Round picks.  It's kind of like Duke for the players who aren't academically sound.   Shocked

UK actually have one of the best medical programs in the country Wink

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 10:32:24 PM »

Just having some fun with ya...Syracuse's athletes aren't rocket scientists either.  Both schools are excellent, but as we all know, most of these athletes have no business being anywhere near the real classrooms on their respective campuses...except for the Duke guys, Ivy League schools, and Stanford. 

Kentucky's an NBA factory. 
I like how Boeheim does things up in Syracuse.  Of course, our talent level isn't near KU's, our good guys usually play 3 years...BUUUT, Carmello did give us a glorious one and done back in '02-'03!
...and we have more fans pack our house than everybody else. Wink

anybody know anything about Michigan State?  That'll be our first big game of the season.  Just curious.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 11:58:25 PM »

Just having some fun with ya...Syracuse's athletes aren't rocket scientists either.  Both schools are excellent, but as we all know, most of these athletes have no business being anywhere near the real classrooms on their respective campuses...except for the Duke guys, Ivy League schools, and Stanford. 

Kentucky's an NBA factory. 
I like how Boeheim does things up in Syracuse.  Of course, our talent level isn't near KU's, our good guys usually play 3 years...BUUUT, Carmello did give us a glorious one and done back in '02-'03!
...and we have more fans pack our house than everybody else. Wink

anybody know anything about Michigan State?  That'll be our first big game of the season.  Just curious.
Don't know much about the Spartans except I already have them penciled in for the final four on my bracket, since they ALWAYS seem to make it.  UConn could get a shot at them if they can knock off the Shockers in Maui on Monday.  Otherwise, it's a date with Chaminade.  Hopefully they can avoid that though.  The Huskies have an extremely young team this season.  Led by Kemba Walker, who scored a career high 42 points last game, tying the Hartford Civic Center record for a collegiate basketball game.  But overall they're loaded with freshmen and sophomores.  They appear to have more shooters this year, which they severely lacked in recent years.  Not as strong in the front court though.  There will probably be plenty of growing pains, but hopefully they improve as the season goes along.  They were picked to finish 10th in the Big East, so obviously not much is expected of them.  But maybe they can surprise some like Syracuse did last year.

And the top rated high school player for 2012, Andre Drummond, goes to school IN Connecticut, so hopefully the Huskies can get their shot at a one and done player.  UConn is supposedly at the top of his list.  So this team may be a few years away.  Unfortunately Kemba probably will leave after this year, but they've got a few freshman guards who look to have some promise and have another coming in next year.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:00:07 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 06:53:15 PM »

Kentucky is a powder keg waiting to explode w/Calipari and all his shady dealings.  After UMass and Memphis, the NCAA are watching him like famished hawks.  The aftermath will be very Kelvin Sampson-like if not worse IMO.  Sucks for UK.  All they've wanted since Pitino left is to get a coach in there who could win and be a constant threat to take a National Title year in and year out (lofty wishlist, but admirable if not condoned).  Now, what they have is a guy who will very likely put them right back in the spot they were in with Sutton right before Pitino came in.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 07:46:06 PM »

I agree Kayoss. I make a lot of my friends mad bringing that up constantly, but I don't trust Calipari at all. Give it 3 years.

I love watching Louisville. Rick Pitino gets every drop of talent and then some out of his players. I couldn't imagine what he'd do with Calipari's talent.

Cal had 5 first rd picks and got to the elite 8? Thats ridiculous.

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 05:12:14 AM »

Cal had 5 first rd picks and got to the elite 8? Thats ridiculous.

You said it.

Everything was going great last season until that group ran into a veteran team (West Virginia) with a great coach (Bob Huggins).  When WV started draining three's (as they LOVE to do in Elite Eight games i.e. 2005 vs. Louisville) and got up in Kentucky's faces defensively, those freshmen got rattled and began to unravel.  A great coach would've intervened and settled them down, gotten them refocused, and dealt them a plan to take back the game and win.  I didn't see Calipari make one single adjustment in that game, especially down the stretch as Kentucky's play got worse and worse.  Contrast that to Rick Pitino's squad in 2005, comprised of players no one ever heard of until they blossomed under Rick's tutelage.  West Virginia were draining three's on Louisville all night long and were up by 20 at one point.  Rick threw his entire scouting report out the window and changed everything.  Cards came out in the 2nd half, clawed their way back, and won.

Louisville's 2011 recruiting class is easily the best Rick has netted since he's been here.  I can hardly wait to see what he does with those kids.  I'm thinking 2008-09 all over again, but with an extended depth of talent (and no Karen Sypher around to spoil the party).

I saw Kentucky take Washington down in the Maui earlier tonight.  They look pretty good.  Knight is a star for sure.  But will he stay longer than one season?

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 06:17:06 AM »

Rick Pitino is my hero. I said after Smith left and then Gillispie that I'd give 5 years of my life if he'd come back and coach the rest of his career at UK again.

Outside of the Cyphers debacle, there aren't many better,genuine people/coaches than Rick Pitino. I'll be a fan and also cheer for Louisville as long as he is there.

This Kentucky team is better than last years. I hated John Wall and Demarcus Cousins to be honest. I still think Wall is one of the more overrated college players of all time. He may end up having a fantastic NBA career, but at Kentucky he was a turnover machine, couldn't shoot, couldn't play defense. Cousins was sulky and lazy and bad attitude.

Fast forward to THIS year's Kentucky team. We got up huge against Washington, 20-8, Washington went on a big run and took a 3 point lead. This is an inexperienced team but they kept fighting and won.

This year's team play tough defense, they are scrappy and hustle and can shoot. Terrence Jones is a freak athlete like we've never had at UK. Brandon Knight is a better College PG than John Wall. He can shoot the lights out! is under control, can play D.

We got UConn tomorrow night thought for the Maui title. Should be a great game.

Doesn't matter if Knight leaves. Cal already has the number 1 point guard, last name Teague signed up for next year. ok Cheesy

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 10:41:01 AM »

I have to say, I'm a little shocked at how my UConn Huskies have played so far this season.  More precisely, how WELL Kemba Walker has played.  I watched their first game against Stony Brook, which he struggled in, and one of the commentators was saying how he could be in the running for National Player of the Year.  I scoffed at the comment.  Since then, he's put up 42, 31, and 30.  Right now he certainly would be in the conversation.  Of course, it's mighty early.  But he has been magnificent so far.  UConn has had their share of great players, but I don't remember any of them having a 3 game run like this.  And it's not like he's jacking up an obscene amount of shots to score the points.  He's shooting over 50%. 

Also, during the Stony Brook game the same commentator said how Alex Oriakhi could average a double double this season.  Again, I chuckled and protested that comment as well.  Well, he had one that night, and last night again, and is currently averaging 12.3/12.3.  He looks determined to rebound the basketball this year.  The scoring will be a work in progress, as he's not a go to guy down on the blocks.

I will admit, UConn has gotten their fair share of calls and bounces to go their way these last 2 games.  But they've capitalized.  They were clearly the more hungry and aggressive team last night.  They were the younger team by far, but they played smarter and more disciplined basketball than Michigan St. down the stretch.  Tonight against Kentucky should be fun.  In a way, the playing field is even in the experience factor.  Both are extremely young teams.  However, I think a big advantage for UConn against MSU was their athleticism.  They won't have that advantage over the Wildcats.  I'd expect Kentucky to prevail, as I think they are the more talented team.  But regardless of what happens, 2 quality wins early in the season and some major signs of growth give me some much needed optimism for the rest of the season.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »

U also have to factor in this is a HOME game virtually for my Cats.

Do u see all the blue there? WOW! and people think KY is a poor state. we travel better than anybody.

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 02:03:07 PM »

Doesn't matter if Knight leaves. Cal already has the number 1 point guard, last name Teague signed up for next year. ok Cheesy

Right, but he'll probably leave after one year too.  Calipari has turned UK into a revolving door of freshmen.  I'm not saying they could never win it all, but odds are more against it than in favor.

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 01:25:02 AM »

Whew, UConn just handed it to UK.  Something tells me the Huskies will be ranked after their showing in the Maui.  Taking down #2 and #9 -- not bad.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 01:47:05 AM »

Yeah that was ugly.

not too upset with the loss though.I think its good for young teams to be humbled a bit early so they keep working hard and improving.

Kinda felt with last year's Kentucky team, where we rarely lost, they never really got humbled and improved.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 02:07:53 AM »

Whew, UConn just handed it to UK.  Something tells me the Huskies will be ranked after their showing in the Maui.  Taking down #2 and #9 -- not bad.
Yeah I would think so.  That was just a good old fashioned beatdown administered by the Huskies.  That was by far the easiest game UConn had in Maui.  Kemba failed to score 30 tonight, he was held to 29.  Oriakhi had another great game.  Napier's defense was fantastic again.  Giffey made some heady plays.  Overall, just a fantastic showing for UConn.  It is early, but I couldn't have asked for a better start to the season.  I just hope they don't let this early season success get to their heads.  There will be road blocks along the way, playing in the ultra tough Big East conference.  But to date, they've shown that they can play with the big boys.

I would predict a top 15 ranking next week, or somewhere in that range.  Rankings really mean nothing at this time of year, so it really doesn't matter.  But you'd have to think they warrant a huge upswing after their impressive performance.

A couple of side notes.  D, you're right about Kentucky fans, they travel real well.  They packed the house in Maui.  I had tickets to the East Regional in Syracuse years back when Maryland won the title, which included UConn, Maryland, Kentucky, and Southern Illinois.  I took notice of lots of Kentucky fans made that trip as well.  Maryland fans too, not so much with the Salukis. 

And that Terrence Jones is the real deal.  He was a beast when he was in the game.  It probably would've been a closer game if he hadn't gotten into foul trouble, but once he did, it was lights out.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:18:25 AM by faldor » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: