Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:46:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NCAA College Basketball | 2010-11
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NCAA College Basketball | 2010-11  (Read 39858 times)
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 11:04:19 PM »

Ridiculously good first day of the tourney, yesterday.  SOOO many good games (even if many of the winners were chalk).

Go Moorehead St!

You "blew" the spelling on that one.
I believe that's spelled More Head State.   Cool

Go 'Cuse!

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »

My bracket is pretty much busted right now, thanks to Pitt losing last night.  I wavered back and forth on them.  I actually had Florida going to the final four the first time I filled out my bracket but then changed it to Pitt the next morning.  I hated that region and really couldn't find a team worthy of placing in the final 4.  Didn't think Florida was all that great, and Pitt always underachieves in the tournament.  I guess I should have stuck with the Gators though.  I still have my other 3 Final Four teams, but I'm not holding out much hope.

From here on out, it's UConn or bust.  Could be a tough one against San Diego St. IN Anaheim on Thursday.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2011, 06:45:29 PM »

Hey Faldor, get your fill of Kemba now.  He's gonna be a lottery pick, right?  Are UConn fans gonna chant for him to stay like we did with Carmello back in '03?
My Orange are a flawed team, but hell, anything can happen!
...and yes, Pitt busted my bracket up big time!  Can't say I'm disappointed though.  Something about Butler and Matt Howard winning makes me happy.  Smiley

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 09:58:39 PM »

Hey Faldor, get your fill of Kemba now.  He's gonna be a lottery pick, right?  Are UConn fans gonna chant for him to stay like we did with Carmello back in '03?
...and yes, Pitt busted my bracket up big time!  Can't say I'm disappointed though.  Something about Butler and Matt Howard winning makes me happy.  Smiley

Sorry about your Orange.  There goes ANOTHER final four team of mine.  Unfortunately they had to take on fellow Big East foe, Marquette.  I had them playing Xavier.  It's tough going against a team that's so familiar with what you do. 

I would certainly think this would be Kemba's last year.  He's actually on schedule to graduate this year, after 3 years.  A fact that goes unnoticed and doesn't get enough attention in my mind.  He should be commended for that.  So I don't think he'd have much of a reason to come back next year, especially after all he's done this season.  I don't think his stock could ever get any higher.  I would think he'd be a lottery pick, though his slight frame might hurt him.  I think he's got a lot of Allen Iverson in him though, I wouldn't be too worried about him succeeding at the next level.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »

Ridiculously good first day of the tourney, yesterday.  SOOO many good games (even if many of the winners were chalk).

Go Moorehead St!

You "blew" the spelling on that one.
I believe that's spelled More Head State.   Cool

Go 'Cuse!

I'm sure all those guys ARE getting "more head"!

Ridiculously good weekend of basketball.  SO many close games!

Big East did a whole lot of flaming out with only Marquette (REALLY??!!) and my Huskies still playing games.

WTF happened to PITT???!!! 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:15:45 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2011, 02:08:14 PM »

My bracket is pretty much busted right now, thanks to Pitt losing last night.  I wavered back and forth on them.  I actually had Florida going to the final four the first time I filled out my bracket but then changed it to Pitt the next morning.  I hated that region and really couldn't find a team worthy of placing in the final 4.  Didn't think Florida was all that great, and Pitt always underachieves in the tournament.  I guess I should have stuck with the Gators though.  I still have my other 3 Final Four teams, but I'm not holding out much hope.

From here on out, it's UConn or bust.  Could be a tough one against San Diego St. IN Anaheim on Thursday.

I gotta tell you...I'm not an SDSU believer.  Granted, they're practically playing a home game against Kemba and da' boys, but they haven't exactly looked sharp so far.   During the season, they beat BYU (who's suspect) and Gonzaga (also suspect).  And neither of THOSE teams beat anyone, either.

To me, SDSU looks like a classic BCS paper tiger from a mid-major conference:  They had a great record...but didn't beat much of anyone.  And watching them play...they aren't much of a #1 seed.  Having Temple (who isn't all that great this year) take them to 2 OT's, and seeing Northern Colorado hang around for a LONG time in that game....I think UCONN's got a pretty good shot at knocking them off.

Then, the question is, can they stop the juggernaut that is Duke.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2011, 02:10:26 PM »

Kemba's gone.  He participated in UCONN's Senior day, for cripes sake.  From what I've read, the guy is on pace to graduate this Summer, and has been told he can walk with the grads in May at commencement.  There's NO WAY he's coming back...and there's no reason he should.  Just like with Emeka.....

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »

I think he's got a lot of Allen Iverson in him though, I wouldn't be too worried about him succeeding at the next level.

Been saying the same thing all year: Kemba reminds me SOOO much of AI, it's uncanny.  Little less attitude and penchant for trouble (and only a little), but their game's look so similar.  Kemba might be a quater step slower, and a better jump shooter (as of this year, anyway), than AI was coming out of college.  But that "slash and burn" type game.....perfect fit for the NBA.

Together again,
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2011, 05:19:24 PM »

Once Syracuse was gone, it's been all "rooting for the underdog" week for me.  Smiley
Virginia Fucking Commonwealth!!!!!!!!!  Cool Shocked yes yes yes beer
How great is that?
How great for Butler too?
March Madness.  Fucking great!!!

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »

Once Syracuse was gone, it's been all "rooting for the underdog" week for me.  Smiley
How great is that?

At least one (Butler or VCU) will have a spot in the finals.  Amazing.

Uconn vs UK or UNC in the other matchup. 

Right now, I'm a HUGE UK fan.  Do NOT want UNC for UCONN.  BAD matchups.

Together again,
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »

How great is that?

Well there ya go Pilferk!  I'll pull for UConn to represent the Big East.  Some 'cuse fan buddies of mine see UConn as similar to our Carmello-led '03 Championship team. 
VCU and Butler...wow, just WOW!  LOVE IT!!!  Cool

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2011, 07:36:06 PM »

How bout them Wildcats?HuhHuh

C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just hoping this Final Four doesn't get stripped in a year or so!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 08:23:15 PM »

How bout them Wildcats?HuhHuh

C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just hoping this Final Four doesn't get stripped in a year or so!

possible sanctions D?  What's the inside scoop?

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2011, 08:37:52 PM »

HAHA no, but with Cal... u can never be too confident!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2011, 09:56:07 PM »

How great is that?

Really?  I was kind of pulling for UNC.  I thought Kentucky was the better team, and they sure played like it today.  It also worries me a little that we whooped up on Kentucky in Maui back in November.  Obviously both teams are a lot different and better than they were then.  I'd expect a MUCH closer game this time around.  It's never easy to beat a good team twice in one season.  I'm sure Kentucky will make any necessary adjustments needed.

This tournament has been crazy though.  I knew it was going to be wide open, but I think it's even crazier than I could've imagined.  I honestly don't feel there's a favorite at this point.  Any one of the final four teams could hoist the trophy next Monday night.  Seeding doesn't matter at this point.  When George Mason made the final four as an 11 seed it was a nice story, but I don't think many truly believed they could win.  VCU has a legit shot, as does Butler.  Even though Kentucky and Connecticut are the "premier" teams, that won't make any difference once the ball is tipped.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2011, 08:05:15 AM »

Really?  I was kind of pulling for UNC.  I thought Kentucky was the better team, and they sure played like it today.  It also worries me a little that we whooped up on Kentucky in Maui back in November.  Obviously both teams are a lot different and better than they were then.  I'd expect a MUCH closer game this time around.  It's never easy to beat a good team twice in one season.  I'm sure Kentucky will make any necessary adjustments needed.

This tournament has been crazy though.  I knew it was going to be wide open, but I think it's even crazier than I could've imagined.  I honestly don't feel there's a favorite at this point.  Any one of the final four teams could hoist the trophy next Monday night.  Seeding doesn't matter at this point.  When George Mason made the final four as an 11 seed it was a nice story, but I don't think many truly believed they could win.  VCU has a legit shot, as does Butler.  Even though Kentucky and Connecticut are the "premier" teams, that won't make any difference once the ball is tipped.

UNC is inconsistent, BUT, player to player matchups for UCONN are BAD.  They're too big inside, and they have REALLY quick guards who defend well.  I suspect UCONN's bigs would have spent a lot of the time in foul trouble AND Walker would have had issues with the his bread and butter dribble/drive.

UK is good, but the matchups are better (still not great, just better than the ones with UNC).  We also beat them once (granted, this I doubt we see "that" game from UK again) this year, in the finals of the Maui.  UK ALSO can be inconsistent, they're less polished overall than UNC...and god help me, they don't get the calls like UNC seems to.  Jeesh.....it seemed like, at the end of the UNC/UK game that UNC had a 6th man on the court.  I watched LOTS of UNC games this year, and that's seemed a typical theme.  And that's coming from a guy who typically roots for UNC in the ACC because I HATE DUKE!  UK also plays a style that's more comfortable for UCONN...and I don't expect them to hit 3s like they did against UNC.

UK is going to be motivated..they want to avenge that horrible loss at the Maui.  Calhoun and Calipari legit don't like each other (dating back from Calipari's days at UMASS and Camby choosing UMASS over UCONN).  There's LOTS of backstory to this one that the guys calling the game can have a field day with. Should add some drama. 

I expect a very good game from both teams that probably turns into a squeaker at the end.  I HOPE UCONN wins...but if I'm being honest I think UK will win the game.  UCONN has achieved VASTLY over reasonable expectations this tourney....and while I'd love to see them win it all, I just can't pick 'em to do it.

I think whoever wins the UCONN/UK game ends up winning the championship.

This has been the BEST tourney I can remember.  SO many exciting/close games.  Hopefully the final 4 upholds that.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2011, 01:43:56 PM »

Yeah, no doubt UConn has WAY exceeded my expectations for this season.  This is a year where a final four appearance is truly a great accomplishment.  Unlike 2 years ago, when they were a #1 seed.  In those situations, you want to win it all, or at least not get blown out in the National Semi-final.  Obviously any final four appearance is a great thing, but this one was just so unexpected coming into the season and even as the season progressed.  They had their struggles mid-season, but they started out great and are ending the same way.  After that improbable run in the Big East tourney, I wasn't sure they'd make it out of the first weekend, yet here they are headed to Houston.

I think UConn does have some advantages over UK, but both teams are probably playing their best basketball at this time.  UConn has been able to get key players in foul trouble the last 2 games and that has had a huge impact on the outcomes.  If they can do that again to Kentucky, it'd obviously be a big deal.  Kentucky's not the deepest team.  It should be a good one.  I'd expect another nail biter.  I certainly will be upset if the Huskies lose, but regardless of the outcome, this season can't be viewed as anything less than a HUGE success.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2011, 01:00:35 AM »

One more game.  I thought UConn clearly outplayed Kentucky tonight, yet they didn't play great.  It was actually a pretty ugly game.  The Butler/VCU game had a lot more flow to it.  But UConn's defense prevailed in the end.  Now that the game is done, I have to say, I LOVED when the one reporter asked Calipari how it was to be in his FIRST final four.  Referencing the previous two final fours that were stricken from the books.  That was pure genius.  We got the matchup everyone wanted anyway.  Three years from now, this would've been taken away from UK anyway.

Not that Calhoun is flawless, but hey, he's no Calipari.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »

Soooooo glad to see Calipari go down.  yes

Butler-UCONN.  That's a can't lose right there!  If Butler wins, the cinderella story comes true.
If UConn wins, they're representin' the Big East.
 beer

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2011, 02:04:35 PM »

Soooooo glad to see Calipari go down.  yes

Butler-UCONN.  That's a can't lose right there!  If Butler wins, the cinderella story comes true.
If UConn wins, they're representin' the Big East.
 beer
I expect another tight game that goes down to the wire.  I know Butler is technically a cinderella story, but in reality they're every bit as good as UConn, so it's a tossup.  There was obviously no dominant team in college basketball this year and this tournament has proven that and then some.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: