Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:10:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash's Next Album To Feature Myles Kennedy Handling All Vocals; May 22nd
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash's Next Album To Feature Myles Kennedy Handling All Vocals; May 22nd  (Read 94898 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2011, 01:18:01 PM »

SLASH To Begin Recording New Album In Late October - Sep. 16, 2011

Fans lined up around the block yesterday (Thursday, September 15 ) as Slash appeared at the new GuitarGuitar store in Epsom, U.K. In between cutting the ribbon to officially open the impressive new building and sign autographs for hundreds of expectant fans, Music Radar managed to grab the former GUNS N' ROSES guitar hero to give them the skinny on his new Dunlop signature wah-wah pedal and the plans for the follow-up to his acclaimed debut solo album. You can now watch the chat at this location.

When asked about the status of the recording sessions for his new solo album, Slash said, "We actually haven't started recording, but we've been in pre-production. We're about nine songs in, as far as that goes. And when I get back from England tomorrow, we'll go in and do another 12 songs. And we start actually recording late October. This is a record with Myles [Kennedy of ALTER BRIDGE] singing in the entire thing. And also Brent Fitz's playing drums and Todd Kerns is playing bass."

He added, "I was really fortunate. When I'd done the record, I thought, 'I've gotta tour on this.' And I had to figure how I was gonna actually pull that off. And I set about auditioning musicians in L.A. and I just happened to meet Brent Fitz, who I'd never played before and who is not from Los Angeles; he was one of the guys I auditioned and he was great. And then he introduced me to Todd Kerns, who fit in perfectly. And it turned out to be a great band from the start ? definitely worth going in and making a record with."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=163379

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2011, 09:44:22 PM »

I like these further details about the album too:

Slash's new album will once again be produced by Eric Valentine, who has previously worked with QUEENS OF STONE AGE and THE ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS. But "the big difference," according to Slash, will be that Eric is "also gonna be mastering this one" in addition to recording and mixing the CD. "So it's like one-stop shopping, which is pretty cool," the guitarist said.

Regarding the musicial direction of his new material and how it compares to last year's self-titled effort, Slash said, "This one's definitely a very focused? Very hard. Some of it's very heavy. It's got sort of a more unified sound to it, especially with one vocal all throughout."

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2011, 12:21:10 AM »

Slash

Man, its so cool to have too much material. But it all sounds really good. Definitely no dbl record though. Iii|; )'

3 hours ago via mobile

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2011, 12:37:06 PM »

Slash:

Fn' great 1st day w/Brent & Todd today. Myles starts tomorrow. Going to be a really cool next few weeks. Iii|; )'

10 hours ago

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2011, 12:10:30 PM »

From Slash:

Listening to demos we recorded last week. Some tighter than others but sounding good. 14 songs together so far. 3 more to go. Iii|; )'

about an hour ago via mobile

From Todd Kerns (Slash's band):

October 2nd 2011

The forthcoming album and tour will probably take us into 2013 if all goes according to plan.

So now here I am. Back on Planet Slash. Back when I was originally asked to support him on his first solo tour I wasn?t sure if it would be a month or maybe fly outs on weekends or what. Now here we are a year and a half later and we?re getting ready to record a new cd as a band. Did not see that coming.

We have been working on riffs for a while since we were on the road even. Those riffs have ballooned to almost 20 songs and growing. We have been hard at it in several writing sessions and are now in the midst of 2 weeks rehearsal. We?ll be entering Barefoot Studios with Eric Valentine in a few days to start work on the first few songs. We?ll finish up the record before the end of the year.

Eric has produced a lot of amazing stuff including Slash?s last record. We?ll be in the very studio where one of my favorite albums ever was recorded-Songs For The Deaf by Queens Of The Stone Age (produced by Eric Valentine).

It promises to be very exciting. I?m stoked!

http://toddkerns.com/blog/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2011, 09:17:12 AM »

From Slash:

Played my original AFD LP all day today. Its been awhile. Its like an old friend. Such a great gtr. Iii|; )'

9 hours ago via Facebook

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2011, 11:08:14 AM »

I am never a fan of when an artist says "oh we got 14-17 songs" when they haven't been working on the record that long.  That never ends well.
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »

I am never a fan of when an artist says "oh we got 14-17 songs" when they haven't been working on the record that long.  That never ends well.

Actually the band has been writing and working on the new album for more than an year now.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2011, 10:33:56 PM »

Really looking forward to this. I've been listening to Alter Bridge's latest album a fair bit lately and I have no doubt that Slash and Myles can come up with the goods! ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »

From Todd Kerns:

2 monster bed tracks recorded. All bed tracks live off the floor to 2" tape. All analog. Old school. Gonna be monstrous!

10 Oct via Facebook

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2011, 09:26:27 AM »

From Myles Twitter last night:

Just finished the first vocal. It's wild singing straight to tape again. Gotta nail each take because protools fixes are not an option.

Very pumped this album is going to be analog again like Slash's solo album. I thought the production value on it was tremendous as it was clear, you could really hear the instruments, and it wasn't fighting the loudness wars. Same guy (Eric Valentine) is producing/mixing/mastering this album.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »

Just finished the first vocal. It's wild singing straight to tape again. Gotta nail each take because protools fixes are not an option.

Very pumped this album is going to be analog again like Slash's solo album. I thought the production value on it was tremendous as it was clear, you could really hear the instruments, and it wasn't fighting the loudness wars. Same guy (Eric Valentine) is producing/mixing/mastering this album.

Yeah, that's great news. I wish more bands would take note.
As far as production goes, Slash was one of the better sounding records I've heard in a long time.
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2011, 04:18:23 AM »

As far as production goes, Slash was one of the better sounding records I've heard in a long time.

pft tape adds nothing and is a waste of time and money. as if go back in time and record to tape. digital opens way more doors. slash's production could have been just as good without tape.
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2011, 09:34:21 AM »

i believe you are incorrect tape has way less compression than digital, while digital is easier to manipulate. Tape does not need to convert a signal to 0's and 1's while digital does and a real life analog signal is very intricate to have a limited number of 0's and 1's so rounding has to occur somewhere to get it digital also sound is not necessarily a 0 and 1 piece of information if a guitar signal was a straight sin wave then indeed it would be easy to replicate digital however each time you play a note it is a plethora of different waves conjoining together to make one wave and most aren't in perfect round numbers its like dividing 1 by 3 your calculator has to stop somewhere but that number goes on forever. while a tape does have its limitations especially in the editing realm, its ability to capture gives you more depth and less modulation to your tone

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2011, 09:57:48 AM »

pft tape adds nothing and is a waste of time and money. as if go back in time and record to tape. digital opens way more doors. slash's production could have been just as good without tape.

I don't know anything about the process, but the production of Slash's album sounded great to my ears. I have found with a lot of the new CDs, I find myself turning the volume up and down from song to song because one is louder/quieter than the next. Not the case with the Slash album for whatever reason.
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2011, 07:48:43 AM »

That's a mastering issue, not anything to do with the recording method.

Guitar1281 you're description is right but while the 'number' goes on forever, our ears can only pick up so much. the ridiculously high rates of sampling in new digital recording means well covers any discernible differences between a sampled sound and an analogue recording.

IMHO people only use it to be 'different' or because they're stuck in the past (SLASH)  rofl
Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2011, 12:15:06 PM »

Now a days the difference between the sound/tone when recording to tape or digital is quite small, my friends band recorded their album on digital, they funded it from their own pocket and recording to tape would have been too expensive. My friend played some of the material to the guy who mixed Avenged Sevenfold album (if I remember correctly) and the guy thought it was recorded to tape, something they did in the studio to make it sound like it.

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2011, 12:26:35 PM »

I have yet to hear very many GREAT digital recordings

Listen to Slash's solo album compared to something like Contraband... Production is 1000000000 times better.

Not comparing albums, but listen To Chinese Democracy..... very hard to hear certain instruments a la bass/drums etc

on Slash's solo album, u can hear every instrument very clearly and its very warm and u can hear the depth.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »

I have yet to hear very many GREAT digital recordings

Listen to Slash's solo album compared to something like Contraband... Production is 1000000000 times better.

Not comparing albums, but listen To Chinese Democracy..... very hard to hear certain instruments a la bass/drums etc

on Slash's solo album, u can hear every instrument very clearly and its very warm and u can hear the depth.

Agreed I've recorded digital and whilst i do not have the greatest digital recording equipment it does indeed suck tone, small things like the tone knob on the guitar, pick attack, which pickups are used have a much more monumental effect which my ears CAN pick up when i play straight from the amp, are not picked up via the digital recording. There are also many other aspects as to how its recorded that are variables upon it as well not just tape vs digital. Mic pre amps, mic placement, mix engineering, what compressors are used etc that can make one sound better or worse

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
zihuatenajo
Headliner

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »

i believe you are incorrect tape has way less compression than digital, while digital is easier to manipulate. Tape does not need to convert a signal to 0's and 1's while digital does and a real life analog signal is very intricate to have a limited number of 0's and 1's so rounding has to occur somewhere to get it digital also sound is not necessarily a 0 and 1 piece of information if a guitar signal was a straight sin wave then indeed it would be easy to replicate digital however each time you play a note it is a plethora of different waves conjoining together to make one wave and most aren't in perfect round numbers its like dividing 1 by 3 your calculator has to stop somewhere but that number goes on forever. while a tape does have its limitations especially in the editing realm, its ability to capture gives you more depth and less modulation to your tone

beautifully said  beer

God made weed, man made booze : who do you trust ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: