Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:36:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash's Next Album To Feature Myles Kennedy Handling All Vocals; May 22nd
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash's Next Album To Feature Myles Kennedy Handling All Vocals; May 22nd  (Read 94895 times)
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »

Are you guys serious? I don't know where you get your opinions from but it is pretty much common knowledge that new digital technology is identical to analogue recording in sound quality as the sampling rates are so high. is there an interview with slash anywhere where he says why he records on tape? i'd be curious to hear it

I have yet to hear very many GREAT digital recordings
Listen to Slash's solo album compared to something like Contraband... Production is 1000000000 times better.
Not comparing albums, but listen To Chinese Democracy..... very hard to hear certain instruments a la bass/drums etc
on Slash's solo album, u can hear every instrument very clearly and its very warm and u can hear the depth.

Ok. your sample size of 3 is very convincing. jks but yeah

one might be interested to note that most new digital albums are recorded with the knowledge that they will be played on computer speakers and ipod headphones, and mixed/mastered accordingly so they don't sound good thru big speaks. could explain chinese democracy. but to be honest i thought the production was phenomenal quality-wise on CD the title track is FAT, the build up then the guitars.

anyways.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »

Are you guys serious? I don't know where you get your opinions from but it is pretty much common knowledge that new digital technology is identical to analogue recording in sound quality as the sampling rates are so high. is there an interview with slash anywhere where he says why he records on tape? i'd be curious to hear it

Listen to Slash's solo album compared to something like Contraband... Production is 1000000000 times better.
Not comparing albums, but listen To Chinese Democracy..... very hard to hear certain instruments a la bass/drums etc
on Slash's solo album, u can hear every instrument very clearly and its very warm and u can hear the depth.

one might be interested to note that most new digital albums are recorded with the knowledge that they will be played on computer speakers and ipod headphones, and mixed/mastered accordingly so they don't sound good thru big speaks. could explain chinese democracy. but to be honest i thought the production was phenomenal quality-wise on CD the title track is FAT, the build up then the guitars.

anyways.

All I am saying is that I'm glad they are sticking with what they did on the last Slash album, because it sounded great.
I hope they stay far, far away from the production strategy of Chinese Democracy, which I'm sure shouldn't be a problem.
I always thought it sounded like songs that were written and then toyed with for years on end, which Tommy later confirmed was the case.

I prefer the simpler approach that Slash went with, which seems to be more in line with classic Guns.
It sounds like a band playing live.

Chinese sounds like people playing instruments in separate times and places, and then pieced together.
I realize that that is exactly the case with both albums, but one disguises it more in my opinion.

I know that not all of this falls under production, but I'm glad to hear they are sticking with what worked the last time around.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »

Well, i can compare Bon Jovi albums... SWW and NJ sound WAYYYYYYYY better than their digital 21st century records.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2011, 06:12:10 AM »

I think the biggest problem these days is the loudness war, where everything is mixed way too loud, regardless of digital or analogue recording techniques.

Chinese Democracy, although multi-layered was mixed and mastered quite nicely to my ears, unlike an album say like Metallica's Death Magnetic which is musically great, but distorts when you try to crank it up loud.
Slash's album is mixed and mastered nicely too.

I think Slash is of the "recording to tape" mindset, that you don't have Protools to fix all the mistakes, you need to be on your game performance-wise, to record to tape.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2011, 12:45:59 AM »

Eddie Trunk
Just left a studio where @Slash gave me a sneak listen to 3 new songs from his upcoming album with @MylesKennedy Killer kick ass stuff!

Slash
Just back from the studio. Ruff mixes sound great. Played a few for Eddie Trunk. Said he dug it. I'm doing TMS 2morrow, we'll see. Iii|; )'

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2011, 09:35:24 AM »

^^SLASH: New Songtitles Revealed - Oct. 19, 2011

Legendary guitarist Slash (GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER) has completed the first recording session for his upcoming solo album at Barefoot Recording in Hollywood, California with producer Eric Valentine (QUEENS OF STONE AGE, THE ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS). Joining Slash in the studio were the members of his touring band: vocalist Myles Kennedy (ALTER BRIDGE), rhythm guitarist Bobby Schneck, bassist Todd Kerns (SIN CITY SINNERS, formerly of AGE OF ELECTRIC), and drummer Brent Fitz (formerly of THEORY OF A DEADMAN).

Slash played three of the newly recorded songs ? "Halo", "Standing In The Sun" and "Bad Rain" ? for VH1 Classic "That Metal Show" co-host Eddie Trunk, who tweeted yesterday, "I can tell you the three songs I heard are heavy with killer riffs and vocals. It's the same band that he has been touring with last couple years on the album, and it sounds more cohesive because of it. Really strong!"

Slash's as-yet-untitled new album is tentatively due next April.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164869

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2011, 10:26:10 AM »

The act of still recording to tape is all hype and done for attention.  Foo Fighters, Zakk Wylde and Slash still do it to try and prove they are still "old school", thats all it is.  Digital is the present and future, the sound difference is non existent if done correctly.  Metallica's Death Magnetic sounded like shit because of THEM and their decision on how to record it , not the Pro Tools software itself.  Avenged Sevenfold's "Nightmare" is a perfect example of how to use pro tools correctly.  That album is the best sounding hard rock album by anyone in a decade as far as guitar tone, and drums..etc..

Just because an artist is using Pro Tools doesn't mean they know HOW to use Pro Tools.  Those that do are making fantastic sounding records these days.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »

I think Slash is of the "recording to tape" mindset, that you don't have Protools to fix all the mistakes, you need to be on your game performance-wise, to record to tape.

Certainly more impressive.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »

Avenged Sevenfold's "Nightmare" is a perfect example of how to use pro tools correctly.  That album is the best sounding hard rock album by anyone in a decade as far as guitar tone, and drums..etc..

Just because an artist is using Pro Tools doesn't mean they know HOW to use Pro Tools.  Those that do are making fantastic sounding records these days.

but it suffers through the "loudness war", check 1st song frequencies here:

and check "loudness war"-info here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

Re-Union time, baby!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »

plus what makes rock n roll so amazing is the imperfections.

Appetite has a distinct amazing groove thanks to imperfections. If u use Pro Tools and line everyone up in perfect time.. I guarantee that would suck most of the soul/life out of the album.

Music isn't suppose to be robotic metronome perfect.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2011, 04:38:46 PM »

Avenged Sevenfold's "Nightmare" is a perfect example of how to use pro tools correctly.  That album is the best sounding hard rock album by anyone in a decade as far as guitar tone, and drums..etc..

"Nightmare" sounds perfect to me.  Listen to it, crank it, it is perfect.  I don't really care what the frequencies say.  Go listen to it.  Perfect tone, drums, vocals.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:44:51 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2011, 04:39:40 PM »

plus what makes rock n roll so amazing is the imperfections.

Appetite has a distinct amazing groove thanks to imperfections. If u use Pro Tools and line everyone up in perfect time.. I guarantee that would suck most of the soul/life out of the album.

Music isn't suppose to be robotic metronome perfect.

I agree, but who the hell says you have to line everyone up in perfect time if you record digitally?  It seems if you record with pro tools everyone assumes you are tweaking things...you know that is not a requirement for using pro tools right?

I know there is a lot of negativity towards pro tools because it is costing a lot of people jobs, but it is the future, its progress.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:48:03 PM by Bodhi » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »

it sucks cause it has made NON musicians capable of recording terrible hip hop.

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2011, 08:54:30 AM »

"Nightmare" sounds perfect to me.  Listen to it, crank it, it is perfect.  I don't really care what the frequencies say.  Go listen to it.  Perfect tone, drums, vocals.

there simply is very less dynamic range on the "Nightmare" song (havent checked the others yet)....and this IS a quality issue in a negative way, thats a fact, so....sorry, you cant really come here and talk about thats the ultimate CD, it might have been mixed fine with all instruments and stuff but the actual mastering and/or production suffers, period. just check the "loudness war"-youtube-clip again and you should get the point. as we're into frequencies and dynamic range on a GN'R board, here are a few from Guns:

AFD:

Coma/Live Era 2CD (Jap.):

CD:

Live Era suffers a lot with the dynamics, we'd need a proper vinyl transfer from that!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:51:07 AM by Limulus » Logged

Re-Union time, baby!!
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2011, 09:47:10 AM »

I don't necessarily have a problem with artists using pro tools. I don't really care how they go about it.
Seems like it just shouldn't get in the way. Some records that have come out lately seem to suffer strictly from a production standpoint, and I don't really remember that happening until recently. I don't know if that's attributed to the switch to digital or not. I'm sure, like Bodhi says, if it's done the right way, it's not an issue.

From an artistic standpoint though, I like the record to tape process, because it seems more legit.
Plus if you can pull it off in a take in the studio, you can pull it off live.

In the end, if it sounds good, it sounds good. Doesn't really matter how you get there I guess.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2011, 10:28:13 AM »

+1 million to this.  I have never agreed with anything more in my life.  It is baffling to me how someone like Lil' Wayne who possesses zero talent is successful as he is.  Now I dont mean zero talent in a way that would describe a band who's songs I dont like.  Like Nickelback, I  would call them zero talent, but at the end of the day they do possess musical knowledge and the ability to play instruments.  I truly believe that ANYONE off the street with no training whatsoever can do the bullshit that Lil Wayne does.  He is also the most popular artist in America right now.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:29:46 AM by Bodhi » Logged
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »

and it doesn't sucks cause it has made people capable of recording great electro music, or improved basic rock music with amazing electro parts.

technology is not your enemy, unless you're a slave of it.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »

and it doesn't sucks cause it has made people capable of recording great electro music, or improved basic rock music with amazing electro parts.

technology is not your enemy, unless you're a slave of it.

I also agree with this.  "Chinese Democracy" could never have been such an ambitious record without the use of digital recording.  I do like when rock bands use electro parts, its hard to imagine a band like Angels and Airwaves without the use of digital recording.  When it works it is great.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »

Brent Fitz on recording Slash's new album

20 Oct 2011

How are things shaping up with the new Slash album?

"Basically Slash has a lot of great ideas and he and Myles have been putting riffs and melodies together and the rest of us have been jamming in soundchecks. It's kind of like, I hate to say the old school way, but there's a lot of ways to record new music these days and instead of just going to the studio and creating something and then it becomes a ProTools adventure this is more of coming up with a cool guitar part, a good melody and then as a band we come in and come up with ideas."

"The cool thing as a drummer is that Slash already has an idea of what he's feeling or hearing. I really like working with other musicians that say, 'I'm hearing this, what do you think?' Nothing's ever written in stone."

And this time it'll be one band as opposed to lots of guest stars?

"I think this band is going to make a record as opposed to Slash's last record which I don't think he knew what he was getting into yet. He had a bunch of songs and heard a bunch of singers he wanted to sing on it and of course he had a great drummer in Josh Freese and Steve Ferrone was on it and Steven Adler. This will be the band that has been touring for the last year and a half, I think it will translate well. It will be a team effort with everyone's contribution as a band. It's not just the Slash and Myles project. Even though it's Slash's name on the marquee I think we've created a band. Slash has created a band. We're just all part of it."

Are there any plans set in stone for writing new material?

"I think we'll just do little spurts of writing. There's no real pressure which is great. Slash is full of great music so we'll take our time piecing it together. I'm hearing December so I'm sure early next year they'll definitely be some recording and a record released and then maybe next summer we'll be back on the road. I don't like to sit away at home not doing much. That's why clinics are great, because I get to get out and as drummers we've got to keep our chops up. I live in Vegas, it's not like I'll join some show band on the Strip. You won't find me backing Celine Dion."

Your versatility keeps you busy though

"I play guitar, bass and piano as well so I like playing other gigs too. I played bass with Slash on a show. I had to play in Russia when our bass player had to be flown home with a detached retina. I was able to move over to bass that night and our drum tech John Douglas moved to drums. I don't think Slash knew I played all these instruments. One of the reasons I got the Slash gig was I was introduced to some people in his camp through a show I was doing in Vegas called Monster Circus. Fred Coury was on drums and I got called at the last minute to play keyboards and guitar. Dave Kushner from Velvet Revolver was one of the guitar players. Dave and I became friends. Then I got the call to play with Slash and we did the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Dave saw the show and was like, 'I didn't know you played drums!' I love those kinds of things."

"I would say what happens when producers get you in the studio and they're really set on, 'Hey this kit has been working on these ten great records, why don't you try this kit first?' I'm not adverse to trying a studio kit. Rick Valentine is Slash's producer, he's done a lot of great records and one of my favourite drum sounds is Songs For The Deaf, that is Eric Valentine right there. You totally hear it on Slash's record too. It's probably that one kit that has a certain magic. I'm going to start with that kit and see how it goes."

What did you think of the drum sound on the last Slash record?

"Slash's record reminds me of an AC/DC record that everybody's been trying to recreate. It seems like there's been a few records for drummers that everyone goes back to, like great Zeppelin albums, great AC/DC for that meat and potatoes rock sound. I would say the sound that Slash got on his last record was very similar to Back In Black, not identical but just enough. Snare drums that sound deep and fat as opposed to a lot of snares that sound like they're out of context with rock music. You hear a snare drum that's tuned so high it's not finding it's place in the mix. If you listen to Appetite For Destruction there's a perfect drum sound. I'd say if we could go back and get something like that, it was perfect then so let's bring it to now."

Has it been tough playing all of these drum parts written and played by different drummers night after night on tour?

"I've found that when I think about myself after playing some of these great Guns N' Roses songs I still go back and listen to the originals or I'll make tapes and listen to myself playing them because sometimes you go back and complacency can set in. I love to go back and check to make sure I've got the right energy. I'm one of those crazy over-analytical drummers. The beats will have my feel because I'm playing them. If you're a fan and come to the concert and I start playing 'Sweet Child O Mind' in a different vibe, forget it."

You're used to fitting into different musical situations thanks to your drumming background though

"I've had situations like Alice Cooper where I've had to infuse myself into a band where Eric Singer was part of the band but also doing so Kiss shows. I would slip in on his drums so if you looked up it was a different guy behind the kit but it wasn't my gig to change the vibe."

Clinics are also now on your radar

"I'm doing something I'm not very good at but I'm working on it. Being a new clinician, when I was a kid playing Rush records in my basement I never envisaged having to talk to an audience, it's totally different to playing with a band, to actually go up and offer advice and insight. I think the key to a good clinician is someone who anyone can get something out of. I share enthusiasm for drums. It doesn't have to be me giving a drum lesson specifically. A lot of times I would go to clinics but not get my questions answered, I wanted to know how the hell I could get on that stage. I think that's the key."

http://www.musicradar.com/rhythm/brent-fitz-on-recording-slashs-new-album-506020

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2011, 06:44:52 PM »

+1 million to this.  I have never agreed with anything more in my life.  It is baffling to me how someone like Lil' Wayne who possesses zero talent is successful as he is.  Now I dont mean zero talent in a way that would describe a band who's songs I dont like.  Like Nickelback, I  would call them zero talent, but at the end of the day they do possess musical knowledge and the ability to play instruments.  I truly believe that ANYONE off the street with no training whatsoever can do the bullshit that Lil Wayne does.  He is also the most popular artist in America right now.
We agree once again

I listen to some of his shit and am thinking "Really?"

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: