Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 10:18:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What do they bring to the table? (The new album)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do they bring to the table? (The new album)  (Read 17890 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2015, 07:24:32 PM »

He did stuff on SOD, TWAT, Madagascar and Prostitute as well, so seems like he's worked on at least 8 songs in total.

I gotta say, when listening to the orchestral tracks of those songs, they're really good.

And he has only named songs that weren't included on CD. What do you think about that?

Either he hadn't worked on the Chinese songs yet at the time, or maybe he considered Seven, The General, Leave Me Alone and Thyme as the best songs. Hopefully the latter.  hihi

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2015, 07:32:24 PM »

Jarmo, did you ever get to meet Paul? Was he ever attending any concerts from 2006 and onwards?

Not that I remember....

/jarmo

I guess he removed himself from the touring life altogether, as it wasn't something he seemed to enjoy.

If I were in his shoes, I would probably be a little curious about how the songs I had helped write were received with an audience. Even though there were other people playing my parts.

Sort of like a screening of a movie with the actors and director present.

Sweetness is a virtue
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2015, 07:33:41 PM »

He did stuff on SOD, TWAT, Madagascar and Prostitute as well, so seems like he's worked on at least 8 songs in total.

I gotta say, when listening to the orchestral tracks of those songs, they're really good.

And he has only named songs that weren't included on CD. What do you think about that?

Either he hadn't worked on the Chinese songs yet at the time, or maybe he considered Seven, The General, Leave Me Alone and Thyme as the best songs. Hopefully the latter.  hihi

Yes, most likely the latter. Or maybe he just thought that the songs would be on the album too.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2015, 07:42:09 PM »

Yes, most likely the latter. Or maybe he just thought that the songs would be on the album too.

What's also interesting is that he says they were complete instrumental tracks when he started working on them. It backs up the notion that "CD 2" has probably been done for a while, maybe even at the time Chinese came out in 2008.

Maybe without vocal tracks though.

Didn't Axl say that in the future he would want to go back to a melody and music approach to writing songs ? not starting on the lyrics and vocal melody when all the music was finished. But rather doing them at the same time, a more organic way of creating the songs.

I'm no expert, but maybe it has proven to be hard to come up with the lyrics and melody at the end, like they did the songs on Chinese.

Sweetness is a virtue
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »

What's also interesting is that he says they were complete instrumental tracks when he started working on them. It backs up the notion that "CD 2" has probably been done for a while, maybe even at the time Chinese came out in 2008.

Didn't Axl say that in the future he would want to go back to a melody and music approach to writing songs ? not starting on the lyrics and vocal melody when all the music was finished. But rather doing them at the same time, a more organic way of creating the songs.

I'm no expert, but maybe it has proven to be hard to come up with the lyrics and melody at the end, like they did the songs on Chinese.

Robin Finck and Patti Hood have both said the same thing. So it's not really a proof that the lyrics weren't done at all.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2015, 07:53:02 PM »

Robin Finck and Patti Hood have both said the same thing. So it's not really a proof that the lyrics weren't done at all.

The lyrics might have been done, but not the vocal tracks.

I think it has been said that the vocals were done last on the Chinese songs.

Sweetness is a virtue
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2015, 08:24:32 PM »

It isn't that unusual to lay down vocals last, after the majority of other required tracks are done-or near done.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2015, 08:28:43 PM »

It isn't that unusual to lay down vocals last, after the majority of other required tracks are done-or near done.

That's true. You need the music to sing.

But you could still come up with the lyrics and vocal melody at the same time as the music, before even. That wasn't the case with Chinese per Axl. He wrote the lyrics and vocal melody after the music was done.

I'm no musician, so I don't know for sure what's the hardest way to do it.

Sweetness is a virtue
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »

But you could still come up with the lyrics and vocal melody at the same time as the music, before even. That wasn't the case with Chinese per Axl. He wrote the lyrics and vocal melody after the music was done.

Despite what the E-experts say,there is no "correct" method, people compose using different formulas, at different times and even on different songs within the same album.

"Shut the fuck up."
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2015, 08:56:30 PM »

Despite what the E-experts say,there is no "correct" method, people compose using different formulas, at different times and even on different songs within the same album.

Look, I'm not saying that this is the wrong way to go about it. It's not a discussion on what's more correct ? it's not a criticism of Axl's way of doing things.

What I am saying is that maybe Axl wanted to do the songs this way, sort of like a challenge for himself to push his creativity to new levels. I don't know if he had done songs this way before. The result might be that the songs on Chinese became better than they otherwise would have been if he had written the vocal parts in a more traditional way.

What I am speculating in is that the challenge he set himself maybe proved to be a bit harder than he envisioned. That's why I posed the question if doing songs this way is harder than any other way, I don't know.

He himself said in interviews that he wanted to go back to writing songs with melody and music in mind from the get go, that made me think that he sees this as an easier approach to song writing. Maybe not as time consuming as the other method.

We do know that there were vocal tracks to the songs that wound up on the Chinese record at the time Mr. Beltrami worked with Guns. But Axl might not have gotten around to create/finish up lyrics and vocals to tracks like Seven, Leave Me Alone, Thyme and The General at that time, just because it can be a daunting task to make melodies to already existing music (that's the question I'm posing).

Maybe this is part of the reason the track list on Chinese became what it did ? those were the songs that got 100% finished first simply. Actually, if that is the reason we can throw out any idea of an A- and B-list of songs, they're all A-list. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:59:19 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2015, 11:05:18 PM »

I don't wanna miss Beltrami's and Buckmaster's orchestral arrangements on the forthcoming albums.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2015, 11:29:29 PM »

Look, I'm not saying that this is the wrong way to go about it. It's not a discussion on what's more correct ? it's not a criticism of Axl's way of doing things.

What I am saying is that maybe Axl wanted to do the songs this way, sort of like a challenge for himself to push his creativity to new levels. I don't know if he had done songs this way before. The result might be that the songs on Chinese became better than they otherwise would have been if he had written the vocal parts in a more traditional way.

What I am speculating in is that the challenge he set himself maybe proved to be a bit harder than he envisioned. That's why I posed the question if doing songs this way is harder than any other way, I don't know.

He himself said in interviews that he wanted to go back to writing songs with melody and music in mind from the get go, that made me think that he sees this as an easier approach to song writing. Maybe not as time consuming as the other method.

We do know that there were vocal tracks to the songs that wound up on the Chinese record at the time Mr. Beltrami worked with Guns. But Axl might not have gotten around to create/finish up lyrics and vocals to tracks like Seven, Leave Me Alone, Thyme and The General at that time, just because it can be a daunting task to make melodies to already existing music (that's the question I'm posing).

Maybe this is part of the reason the track list on Chinese became what it did ? those were the songs that got 100% finished first simply. Actually, if that is the reason we can throw out any idea of an A- and B-list of songs, they're all A-list. Smiley

I don't honestly participate in all the speculative "we know" topics, no offense, I just dont.

I've known a few people to lay down vocal tracks as a final step. Before editing-mixing etc, that is what I was talking about.

"Shut the fuck up."
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2015, 11:38:38 PM »

In this case "I don't know", that's why I put it out there. I don't know if it's harder to make up a vocal melody to a finished instrumental track rather than come up with the vocal melody along with making the music. I'm no musician so I've never done either.

I just remember Axl bringing up this very point about the making of Chinese Democracy. That made me, an amateur in this field, think it could have some significance.

Sweetness is a virtue
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2015, 04:22:17 AM »

I dont see One Man Mutiny as a gnr song.

But i absolutely love the album. Village Gorilla Head is great also. Songs like Come to Hide and OK. comes to my mind first. After not listening for those for a while.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »

I am pretty sure Maynard from Tool does his lyrics and vocals after the song is constructed.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2015, 10:52:41 AM »

Tool is finally making progress on their next LP with one finished track and 10 songs that are almost ready for singer Maynard James Keenan, who adds his vocal parts after the instrumentals have been constructed. "Some of it's really heavy, some of it's complex and some is more atmospheric, but it's definitely Tool. I think having this lawsuit out of the way should really speed of the progress of getting the album done," Jones said, noting that while they'd like to finish the album by the end of 2015, Tool won't be governed by "an arbitrary deadline."In February, Keenan told fans after a studio visit, "Things are progressing nicely. Slowly, but definitely progressing. Nothing is recorded yet, but the guys are confident that the pieces are coming together swimmingly and will be ready for me to begin writing melodies and content 'soon.'"

ps....note, "Tool won't be governed by an arbitrary deadline". Sound familiar?  hihi
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:30:44 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2015, 02:35:53 PM »

It's the same (or almost the same) with Dr. Dre's never released Album 'Detox'
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:43:26 PM by Sosso » Logged

ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2015, 03:32:26 PM »

Tool is finally making progress on their next LP with one finished track and 10 songs that are almost ready for singer Maynard James Keenan, who adds his vocal parts after the instrumentals have been constructed. "Some of it's really heavy, some of it's complex and some is more atmospheric, but it's definitely Tool. I think having this lawsuit out of the way should really speed of the progress of getting the album done," Jones said, noting that while they'd like to finish the album by the end of 2015, Tool won't be governed by "an arbitrary deadline."In February, Keenan told fans after a studio visit, "Things are progressing nicely. Slowly, but definitely progressing. Nothing is recorded yet, but the guys are confident that the pieces are coming together swimmingly and will be ready for me to begin writing melodies and content 'soon.'"

ps....note, "Tool won't be governed by an arbitrary deadline". Sound familiar?  hihi

Good for Maynard. The idea of needing to rush or take shit from anyone when you're working on your own art is kind of silly, unless you're one of those guys that has to paint a portrait of the King. In that case you could get your head chopped off and you better just do what you're told. But as for Axl and Maynard, they are pretty much their own Kings.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2015, 03:57:27 PM »

It's the same (or almost the same) with Dr. Dre's never released Album 'Detox'

Huge fan of The Doctor, my alltime favorite guy in rap, but I don't think that thing is ever coming out.

He's barely even producing much these past few years, for anybody.  Forget whole albums, a few tracks here and there are all he's doing.  And even then they are rarely singles.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2015, 03:32:32 PM »

Dr. Dre producing a GN'R single would have been interesting to hear.

Sweetness is a virtue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: