Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:20:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227805 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash Talks About Duff McKagan's Oct. 2010 Jam With Guns N' Roses
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Talks About Duff McKagan's Oct. 2010 Jam With Guns N' Roses  (Read 29261 times)
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2010, 03:05:26 AM »

^^thats more likely the way with frontmen in general (though i disagree on the "it always have been his vision"-thing) but far not to the content that people generate bullshit like

"Axl is GN'R..."

"Slash + Duff were the first members of Nu Guns.  They just didn't like the idea of being hired hands.  (so they quit)"

as to be seen in this topic and thats why we have this discussion. the manager-thing was just an example for the "he had to approve any decisions" not being the case back then.

Re-Union time, baby!!
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2010, 07:09:50 AM »

people generate bullshit like

"Slash + Duff were the first members of Nu Guns.  They just didn't like the idea of being hired hands.  (so they quit)"

To be fair to jacdaniel, that is the story how Slash tells it (maybe Duff, too). I just don't believe it's how it went down. (Not that what any of us believe means shit, to be honest).
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2011, 04:14:07 PM »

Hate to bump an old thread but I'm new to this site, and catching up on what I missed. Just blown away by all the GNR fans so eager to harp on the very people responsible for creating the music you're fans of!
As for Axl being the end all be all of Guns N' Roses, not sure who told you that, but they lied to you. I think a band is only going to be as great as it's lead singer, and luckily, Axl is up there with the very best. He's my personal favorite, and I can't think of any better frontman as far as live performances go. But to say he IS GNR is so far off it's laughable. He didn't write the music on Appetite for Destruction. The fact that that album sounds as raw as it does is a credit to all members involved for their contributions. Some of those songs were half/whole written by members before they were even in GNR. Axl can't write a riff like Izzy, a solo like Slash, just like Duff couldn't sing with the range of or write the lyrics Axl can. None of us have a time machine, so I guess if you want to get technical about it, it's debatable, but I'm pretty confident that Axl doesn't make the greatest hard rock record of all time without the help of Izzy, Slash, Duff and Steven, and likewise. Not sure why anyone would want to downplay someone else's accomplishments anyway. One thing is for certain, Guns N' Roses were a hell of a lot more successful and popular when those guys were in the band.

As for Slash's opinion of American Idol, I think we can all agree AI is garbage. Slash made an appearance, and I didn't catch it, or lose any sleep over missing it, but if I had to guess it was probably more entertaining than the majority of the episodes(not saying much, I know). If young kids are gonna be force fed the BS that AI is, I don't think it's a crime that they see someone who actually has talent like Slash every once in a blue moon. Let's face it, AI ain't going anywhere. Tyler judging on it is another deal altogether. Totally different situations, as it's not a 1 show deal, and he's not showcasing his talent.

As for Duff's appearance and his opinion on Axl going on late? I can see why people find it odd timing that he brought it up, but not sure he should get the chair for it. He has said in interviews before that it's something that would need to change if classic Guns reformed. I've read that it was essentially the reason Izzy left in the first place. I personally don't have a problem with them going on late, I'm just happy to see them, but there are clearly a lot of people who have a big problem with it, so it's not like it's just bitching to bitch. Just because we don't mind they go on late doesn't mean it's not a big deal.

I love how everyone knows whats going on in his head, and if given a chance he would eat his children to rejoin Guns. I personally don't get the impression he wants back in, he seems to be doing just fine with his solo album and other projects. I wouldn't be surprised either way. Seems all the ex members are on speaking terms besides Slash and Axl, with Axl being the only one openly dead set against a reunion. If everyone got along, why wouldn't a legendary band be excited about giving the fans what they want? I can't think of an act that would be as big a draw. But he states things would have to change for it to work, so doesn't sound like he's desperate to make it happen, or would put up with bullshit at this stage of his career just for $ when he already has more than he can spend. Plus I don't think it's a stretch to assume that both Axl and Slash probably enjoy the fact that they are enjoying success apart.

As for the shit talking through the media, these guys are all human. They get asked the same questions over and over and over again. It was obviously a messy ending, they were tired of each other, a once great thing came to an end. It must sting for all involved, they have all slipped at one point in taking shots at each other through the media. Axl is clearly no exception, he doesn't play the media game, hardly ever grants interviews yet he has talked some serious trash on the rare occasion he does open his mouth. I would think they'd all like to be civil about it and not air dirty laundry to the public, but people are getting paid to get this information out of them, because they know it's gonna sell a lot more magazines, or make more headlines than Slash's solo album, or VR's or GNR's new record etc. People slip, who cares, it's personal between them as people, has nothing to do with the music.

As far as selling out, which I'm not sure it's necessary or even possible for someone to "sell out" when they are as big as Slash is, but I see Robin and Tobias's names being brought up. Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate their abilities and was impressed not so much with his playing, but very much with Robin's energy when I saw him live. I can appreciate what all the new members bring to the current band, but don't kid yourselves, no one is knocking their doors down to promote their video game, or energy drink etc. If they had tried to promote Robin as GNR's axeman, people just would have been confused. To this day, and probably forever, if you ask anyone not on this site who the guitarist for GNR is, it's gonna be Slash. American Idol doesn't know or care who Robin is, and putting him on the cover of Guitar Hero isn't gonna help move units. Simply put, Robin couldn't "sell out" if he wanted to. Slash has played on albums of people I'm not a fan of. That bothers some people. Me? I just don't listen to em. Then again maybe I should, because I hate Kid Rock with a passion. but like the song on Slash's solo album. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Michael Jackson probably didn't call Finch to guest on his album. If Slash put out a rap album or started a boy band, then that would be selling out. Seems to me a lot of people are confused by the term.

Anyways, that's my rant. I try to leave the personal stuff between the people it concerns and just enjoy the music. I find the dirt mildly fascinating, but would never let it determine who I will/won't listen to.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:13:09 AM by LongGoneDay » Logged
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2011, 06:26:26 AM »

I was going to read all of that, but I gave up after you said Axl didn't write a note of music on AFD. Axl in fact co-wrote the music to Welcome To The Jungle, Nightrain, Out Ta Get Me, Paradise City, My Michelle, Sweet Child O' Mine, You're Crazy, Anything Goes and Rocket Queen. By my count, that's three quarters of the album that Axl "wrote a note of music" on. In fact, Izzy has said in interviews that the main riff in My Michelle was entirely Axl's idea (he had it in his head, sung it to Izzy down the phone, and Izzy played it on guitar). So I figured that if you're that drastically wrong about that, you will be about most everything else, too.

In any event though, this was never about whether Axl is or isn't Guns N' Roses (it was never one person, and never will be... there's a difference between one person being the band, and one person being the only constant in a band), but rather about Slash's comments. What Slash said wouldn't have been so bad if it was true... but it wasn't. Out of all of the people I know who saw both shows at the O2 Arena, they all said that the band came out on time and only played later than billed because they played an hour longer than usual. So for Slash to say, "oh yeah, but they still came out an hour late" is really just trying to stir shit, and tar what was a special time for all involved.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:31:28 AM by AxlReznor » Logged
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2011, 09:02:01 AM »

I was going to read all of that, but I gave up after you said Axl didn't write a note of music on AFD. Axl in fact co-wrote the music to Welcome To The Jungle, Nightrain, Out Ta Get Me, Paradise City, My Michelle, Sweet Child O' Mine, You're Crazy, Anything Goes and Rocket Queen. By my count, that's three quarters of the album that Axl "wrote a note of music" on. In fact, Izzy has said in interviews that the main riff in My Michelle was entirely Axl's idea (he had it in his head, sung it to Izzy down the phone, and Izzy played it on guitar). So I figured that if you're that drastically wrong about that, you will be about most everything else, too.

In any event though, this was never about whether Axl is or isn't Guns N' Roses (it was never one person, and never will be... there's a difference between one person being the band, and one person being the only constant in a band), but rather about Slash's comments. What Slash said wouldn't have been so bad if it was true... but it wasn't. Out of all of the people I know who saw both shows at the O2 Arena, they all said that the band came out on time and only played later than billed because they played an hour longer than usual. So for Slash to say, "oh yeah, but they still came out an hour late" is really just trying to stir shit, and tar what was a special time for all involved.

Haha, yeah apologies for the novel. And if that's true about Axl co-writing the music(fixed it), I stand corrected. I've read different takes on it, no idea which is true. I tend to believe that Axl was involved, but my point was that AFD wasn't the Axl Rose album a lot of people seemed to be alluding to. Very much a band effort.

I'm not trying to pass anything off as facts. The rest is just my opinion, and I'm not gonna try to convince you it's a great read, haha. Killed some downtime yesterday though.

I understand what you are saying about the Duff appearance. I agree he probably should have kept his comments positive, or not comment at all.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:14:19 AM by LongGoneDay » Logged
Jeramy
Rocker

« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2011, 12:02:14 AM »

you know as much as i'd like to keep what little respect i have left for this guy because of his past contributions to gnr it gets harder and harder every time he opens his mouth.  in a way tho i'm kinda glad that he's whoring himself out and giving these interviews left and right so everyone can see for themselves what a fucking egomaniac he is instead of blaming axl for him not being with the band anymore... and i hate to state the obvious, but his super bowl performance of sweet child o' mine was just dog shit awful

"He's in my band, that's where Slash is, fuckhead. Go home!"
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »

you know as much as i'd like to keep what little respect i have left for this guy because of his past contributions to gnr it gets harder and harder every time he opens his mouth.  in a way tho i'm kinda glad that he's whoring himself out and giving these interviews left and right so everyone can see for themselves what a fucking egomaniac he is instead of blaming axl for him not being with the band anymore... and i hate to state the obvious, but his super bowl performance of sweet child o' mine was just dog shit awful

Most if not all celebrities are egomaniacs. Axl may be the biggest one there is. I don't think they could do what they do for a living if they weren't egomaniacs. Slash said what he felt. You might not like his answers, but a lot of fans want to hear what he has to say. Some people think Slash talks too much, some people think Axl talks too little. If you're letting it influence what you think about their music, you're probably reading way too far into it.

The SB performance in general sucked, but Slash played his part just fine. You can say he whored himself out, it seems to be a real popular argument. It could easily be seen as the opposite, that he doesn't give a fuck about your or my approval, and will play where and with whom he feels like playing. His collaborations are very seldom praised, and I don't believe you get paid to play the SB halftime, so in my opinion, you'd have a hard time forming a valid argument suggesting he "sold out".
Jeramy
Rocker

« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2011, 11:06:41 PM »

this is more than just you're a slash fan and i'm an axl fan

i wish they could get along, but i understand why that will never happen

slash was off on that super bowl performance, maybe dj should give him some pointers

"He's in my band, that's where Slash is, fuckhead. Go home!"
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »

I'm a big fan of both Slash and Axl.

The bedazzled hat was awkward, but Slash's playing was fine. It could have been a good show if they turned off Fergie's mic, locked Usher and the BEP's out of the stadium and didn't play BEP/Usher songs/tragedies.

Slash has done quite well w/o DJs help so far.
DJ has too, w/a little help from Slash.
Wouldn't hold your breath on either asking ones advice.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »

I don't believe you get paid to play the SB halftime, so in my opinion, you'd have a hard time forming a valid argument suggesting he "sold out".

maybe you don't get paid, but that's a nice way to promote some new shoes you designed, isn't it...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2011, 09:41:46 AM »

I don't believe you get paid to play the SB halftime, so in my opinion, you'd have a hard time forming a valid argument suggesting he "sold out".

maybe you don't get paid, but that's a nice way to promote some new shoes you designed, isn't it...

Sure it is. I have a hard time believing that was his only motivation though. In the end, everyone that plays the SB halftime, or any show anywhere is getting something out of it. Doesn't concern me what their motivations are. Is Ashba selling out when he wears his own clothing line on stage?

Look, if Slash had disappeared in '93 and just popped up for little spots like this, maybe it would bother me more, but the man is on a mission of late. He did a score for an upcoming movie, he's got a new album that he's touring the shit out of. Another album with Myles is supposedly in the works, and possibly a future with VR. As a fan of Slash's music, I have nothing to complain about. I can't think of many musicians today earning their $ more than him. He's certainly putting the work in, so I think he's the furthest thing from a sell out, which is a played out term altogether in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: