Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:20:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Stinson 'There's Talk Of Doing A U.S. Tour, But There's Nothing On The Books'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stinson 'There's Talk Of Doing A U.S. Tour, But There's Nothing On The Books'  (Read 14678 times)
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 12:01:02 PM »

Do you not think that in the majority of cases they're not a fan of this line-up to begin with because of misconceptions from the media, etc. though? I'm sure that a lot of these people would be fans of this line-up if they were willing to give them a chance, because I've seen it happen at European shows. I wouldn't say it's the same of all US fans, that they expect to be given a reason to see a band - like a song in the charts, positive reviews in the media etc. But I do think the people who will go to see a band just for the hell of going out to see a band are in the minority in the US, whilst they're not so much a minority in Europe. There are a lot of bands who will tour Europe when they have nothing to promote for exactly this reason... they're more likely to get a decent turn-out.

(I agree that the lawsuit is probably what's holding up a US tour for Guns more than any of the above reasons, though).
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »

Do you not think that in the majority of cases they're not a fan of this line-up to begin with because of misconceptions from the media, etc. though? I'm sure that a lot of these people would be fans of this line-up if they were willing to give them a chance, because I've seen it happen at European shows. I wouldn't say it's the same of all US fans, that they expect to be given a reason to see a band - like a song in the charts, positive reviews in the media etc. But I do think the people who will go to see a band just for the hell of going out to see a band are in the minority in the US, whilst they're not so much a minority in Europe. There are a lot of bands who will tour Europe when they have nothing to promote for exactly this reason... they're more likely to get a decent turn-out.

(I agree that the lawsuit is probably what's holding up a US tour for Guns more than any of the above reasons, though).

I personally don't know anyone who cares what the media has to say about bands they listen to. There isn't a whole lot of talk about rock music in general in the states anyways.
I think there are different reasons that go into it. People are watching their $ these days. Some don't care for the new material, band members. Some fans probably won't go because there's no Slash, some won't go because there's no Buckethead etc. No doubt in my mind they are missing a hell of a show regardless, but it doesn't strike me as strange that people aren't interested.
I agree it seems like people overseas seem more likely to go see a show for the hell of it though. Always seems to be great shows/festivals going on over there.

When you really think about it though, GNR has survived lineup changes like few other bands could. If you look at Metallica, even most diehards would admit that they essentially stopped making good music back in '91, but the core members are still intact, and they sell out stadium tours. Then you take Megadeth, who in my opinion is far superior live, and they have a hard time filling clubs. I think having original faces goes a long way. Considering how many people come and go with GNR, they seem to do better than most in their position.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »

Most of the media is biased against the band.

Most of the media we all can read and understand, is English speaking. That's what gets noticed.

Those rare times when the so called journalists can get over the fact that the old band is gone and review a show based on what it is, instead of what it isn't, the reviews have been great.

Nobody goes to see the Rolling Stones and expects the show to be the same as when they played the same city 40 years ago!

Some people hold a grudge against the band. And since English is the language we all understand, and the USA has a lot of people, that's the impression many people have of the USA. Simple as that.

Add to that the fact that many of the Internet fans trolls are based in English speaking countries, such as the USA, and you might not wonder why people have the wrong idea about your country...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 01:15:46 PM »

It also has to be brought up the perception of Axl no showing,being late,riots etc.

It definitely has been demonized by the media and i def think that scares people away. Like, am i gonna spend hundreds of dollars on travel,hotel,tickets,food etc and there be a possibility Axl won't even show.

Very rarely actually, if u compare shows to cancellations has that ever happened, but that is definitely a perception put out there by the media and i think it has a huge effect.

if u look at all the major rock bands that still sell out stadiums/arenas etc, things in common are they are relatively "safe" great track records, and have had mainly positive media relations.

I've told my Aerosmith story 20 times, but they canceled on me twice last mintue,  both times i lost hundreds of dollars. Guess what? If Aerosmith comes down the street next year... chances are, I'm not going and Aerosmith are one of my fave bands of all time... but, I just won't take that chance ever again.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 04:52:12 PM »

I would imagine, Axl would want to tour here but I'd say that whole lawsuit with Irving is probably holding that up.

I agree.  That makes more sense than the band holding up a tour because of what's been said in the media or on the message boards.  And I just checked and there has been recent court activity with the Azoff lawsuit -- as of right now, it's still heading to trial.

So now Dj, Ron and Tommy have all commented that they are talking about doing a U.S. tour.  I think it was Ron who said it's not easy to put together.

Add to that the fact that many of the Internet fans trolls are based in English speaking countries, such as the USA, and you might not wonder why people have the wrong idea about your country...

Since everyone of these messages boards posts in English, I don't know which "English speaking trolls" are from the USA, or other countries.  But like you said, then people have the wrong idea about U.S. fans.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2011, 05:15:07 PM »

Since everyone of these messages boards posts in English, I don't know which "English speaking trolls" are from the USA, or other countries. 

The wonders of the Internet. Where a guy you wouldn't normally pay any attention to becomes an idolized "expert" among a group of people.

Anybody can hide behind a screen name/anonymity and spew shit he/she wouldn't without the help of anonymity.

Suddenly it doesn't matter that you're a 16 year old and have limited knowledge of the "real" world. People will still pay attention to what you say...

That's just an example. I don't mean to offend any teenagers. I've met a bunch of cool GN'R fans who weren't even born when the band first started.

To me it doesn't matter where you're from or how old you are, if you support GN'R, it's all that matters.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2011, 05:30:57 PM »

Since everyone on these messages boards posts in English, I don't know which "English speaking trolls" are from the USA, or other countries. 

The wonders of the Internet. Where a guy you wouldn't normally pay any attention to becomes an idolized "expert" among a group of people.

Anybody can hide behind a screen name/anonymity and spew shit he/she wouldn't without the help of anonymity.

Suddenly it doesn't matter that you're a 16 year old and have limited knowledge of the "real" world. People will still pay attention to what you say...

I agree with the "wonders of the internet" where people you normally wouldn't pay attention to can become an "idolized expert among a group of people" -- we've seen that lately, haven't we.

But I don't think the internet trolls, English or otherwise, have anything to do with the plans for a United States tour.  It probably goes more to a perception of what people think about U.S. fans, on the internet anyway.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »

I agree with the "wonders of the internet" where people you normally wouldn't pay attention to can become an "idolized expert among a group of people" -- we've seen that lately, haven't we.

It happens all the time.

Nothing specific to a certain event.

But I don't think the internet trolls, English or otherwise, have anything to do with the plans for a United States tour.  It probably goes more to a perception of what people think about U.S. fans, on the internet anyway.

Not necessarily.

But the point is that if you just take a quick look at what people from the US say about the band, you might get the impression that the US fans aren't the most supportive. Now I'm not saying that's right.

Because I know there's a quiet minority in the USA who doesn't spend their free time posting shit about the band and trying to cause drama.

Add to that the US (English speaking) media, as I mentioned earlier, and it's no wonder some think "US fans don't deserve a tour". Which I also think is bullshit.

You don't play for the vocal minority of unhappy Internet trolls who probably won't attend any shows anyway or the biased media, who are quick to put anybody who doesn't play their game, down.

/jarmo

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2011, 06:51:41 PM »

But the point is that if you just take a quick look at what people from the US say about the band, you might get the impression that the US fans aren't the most supportive. Now I'm not saying that's right.

I guess my point is, maybe "some" US fans say things about the band -- but you can't form an impression about all US fans based on just some.

Because I know there's a quiet minority in the USA who doesn't spend their free time posting shit about the band and trying to cause drama.

I think it's safe to say the majority of people in the USA don't spend their free time posting shit about the band and trying to cause drama. Grin

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2011, 07:07:26 PM »

I guess my point is, maybe "some" US fans say things about the band -- but you can't form an impression about all US fans based on just some.

Please pay attention to the bold part.

I just explained to you why it's easy to come to that conclusion.

/jarmo

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2011, 07:17:24 PM »

Please pay attention to the bold part.

I just explained to you why it's easy to come to that conclusion.

I am paying attention, you're saying it's not right.  But you keep saying "people from the US say" -- and I'm pointing out "some" people from the US say that.

but you can't form an impression about all US fans based on just some.

And when I say "you", I mean people in general -- not you.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:34:02 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »

I think it's fair to say that the US is one of GN'Rs harshest markets, don't ask me why but that's how I feel. Maybe Europe, Asia and Australia treat GN'R like gods, is because Guns are from somewhere far away and are not that easily accessable, than that of fans in the US.

I also think that GN'Rs style of rock n' roll is more stronger recognised in Europe for example, than in the US, we just seem to appreciate it more than the US. Don't ask me why again, but even Axl has stated in interviews that in the US it's a much tougher road.

But I also want to say that for all of those people afforementioned, there are thousands and thousands of hardcore fans too. It just doesn't seem as strong in the US, than that of other parts of the world, where Guns N' Roses is seen as one of the wonders of the world.  Cool
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:27:05 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »

Yeah.  It's a shame that in the USA we don't do cool stuff like overseas where youze throw bottles full of piss at your fav bands.  Roll Eyes

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »

Yeah.  It's a shame that in the USA we don't do cool stuff like overseas where youze throw bottles full of piss at your fav bands.  Roll Eyes

Here we go, Gypsy's off on one again.  Roll Eyes

Anyone can pick out specific incidents, like I could say "wow, I wish in Europe when GN'R are late or cancel, we do cool things like the US does like tear the arena down, and smash the place up and set things on fire".  yes

But I'm not childish, I was giving my honest opinion on something Axl agrees with, about the US being a tougher market than the rest of the world for Guns.  ok
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:07:11 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2011, 08:12:52 PM »

Gypsy and I agreeing, this is scary but yeah dead on.

That would be like US fans looking at Download 2006 and Ireland 2010 and making a huge generalization saying European fans hate GNR.

In reality, it may have been one person throwing a bottle of piss.. so does 1 person represent the tens of thousands at the concert?

Same with the US, it may be one dumbass yelling something about Slash.. but that hardly represents the entire country.

I do agree with Jarmo about Trolls BUT when Axl himself FEEDS the troll, I am sorry but that only encourages more Troll like behavior. Axl didn't hurt anybody's feelings blasting them on the internet, Hell I'd imagine most of these trolls online would wear it as a badge of honor if they could get a tongue lashing from Axl.

Trolls attend concerts also, and its no different than the Hecklers at sporting events, they want attention... but I don't think being an asshole is exclusive to the US.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »

Here we go, Gypsy's off on one again.  Roll Eyes

Anyone can pick out specific incidents, like I could say "wow, I wish in Europe when GN'R are late or cancel, we do cool things like the US does like tear the arena down, and smash the place up and set things on fire".  yes

But I'm not childish, I was giving my honest opinion on something Axl agrees with, about the US being a tougher market than the rest of the world for Guns.  ok

I'm American and agree with you.  One idiot in Dublin was not representative of all of Dublin or all of Europe.  Unfortunately, from the band's perspective, they have to watch out for their safety and hence send a clear message that throwing things will not be tolerated by walking off stage.

The US is a tougher market than the rest of the world for GN'R.  That is true.  That doesn't mean that all Americans are hostile towards the band.  But, yes, I agree that hard rock isn't as big here in the US as it once was.  The airwaves are dominated by different kinds of acts these days.

Ali
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2011, 09:10:12 PM »

I don't. I just pointed out WHY some might do so. Simply because sometimes the loudest ones are those negative trolls and the biased media.

Simple as that.

/jarmo

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2011, 09:19:23 PM »

But, yes, I agree that hard rock isn't as big here in the US as it once was.  The airwaves are dominated by different kinds of acts these days.
And the reason that rock isn't as big here in the US as it once was is only because 98% of what's being released in this genre SUCKS!!!  Besides maybe the last Pearl Jam cd, how many other "rock bands" put out anything half decent recently?

"Pop rock" is always going to dominate the market.  Hip-hop/rap also has it own "dedicated" market.  For "hard rock" to make any real impact on the market, they really have to fight for it.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »

I don't. I just pointed out WHY some might do so. Simply because sometimes the loudest ones are those negative trolls and the biased media.

And by "you" I mean people in general -- not you.

I guess I just don't want to be lumped in with any, what do you call them, "two faced keyboard warriors." hihi

Fixed it, but I guess either could work. hihi
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:47:45 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »

Warriors!  hihi

I can pretty much say im a keyboard warrior, i write words as fast as Speedy Gonzales rofl

One thing is true, the US fans never got over the break up, neither have i, and im from Portugal, but they still sell out shows in NY in less than an hour! And other places too. Its a great market for GNR.

I think they're just taking the time off to deal with the Manager issue. They have to find a new guy, Doc is out!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:36:43 PM by Halo69 » Logged

Oh My God i cant deny this...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: