Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:36:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227804 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Steven Adler-We've All Had Wonderful Careers Because Of Appetite For Destruction
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steven Adler-We've All Had Wonderful Careers Because Of Appetite For Destruction  (Read 2282 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: June 18, 2011, 02:49:02 PM »

Q&A: Guns N' Roses' original drummer hungry to perform in S.A.

June 18, 2011

Every day for the past 25 years has been a roller-coaster ride for Steven Adler. From touring worldwide in the late '80s in support of one of the most acclaimed hard rock records in history, to persistent battles of drug use, Adler is fortunate to be alive and kicking.

The original drummer for Guns N' Roses who was fired in 1990 because of his addictions, Adler continues to strive to clean up his act. A pair of strokes several years back led to a permanent speech impediment. But that hasn't stopped Adler from speaking fondly of former GNR mates Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan, and yes, even W. Axl Rose. And why not? They made history with 1987's Appetite For Destruction, which was certified 18x platinum (18 million copies sold) by the Recording Industry Association of America, making it the highest-selling debut album in the United States.

Nowadays, Adler beats to his own drum as the leader of Adler's Appetite, which released three songs last year. The upbeat rocker "Alive" was in conjunction with Adler's autobiography "My Appetite For Destruction: Sex, and Drugs, and Guns N' Roses."

Adler and his current mates (Enuff Z'Nuff bassist Chip Z'Nuff and former Faster Pussycat lead guitarist Michael Thomas) welcomed the additions of singer Patrick Stone and rhythm guitarist Lonny Paul in April. They'll headline Clicks Live on Saturday, June 25, as part of their Good to be Alive tour (details at bottom).

The SAMME is scheduled to interview Adler, Z'Nuff and Thomas before the show. But until then, Adler, 46, checked in by phone Thursday from Columbus, Ga., for an Appetite appetizer, if you will:

ADLER: Jay, thank you so much for giving me your time!
SAMME: Steven, thank you. The pleasure's all mine. We're looking forward to seeing you guys next weekend.

ADLER: I love performing in Texas. One thing about Texas people, they're very passionate about their Rock N' Roll, and I love it. Myself and the band are big fans of Texas.

Q: Will you be playing Appetite For Destruction in its entirety?
A: No, not the entire thing, but we're playing a lot of Guns N' Roses songs and originals that we are very proud of that have been going over so great. The band is tighter and more focused. We're putting on an arena rock show in a club.

Q: Forming Adler's Appetite has allowed you to lead your own band, carry on the GNR legacy and form original songs with other established musicians. Do you feel the band encompasses the best of all worlds right now for you?
A: Well, you know what, Jay, it's really great being in a band where the guys are all on the same page with each other. We have the three singles, and we play them in between in the set. Every night, there's more and more people singing the words. And a lot of people that don't know the Appetite music keep saying, "What GNR song is that?" We're doing very powerful Guns N' Roses songs, and then we do those songs, too.

Q: Patrick and Lonny were brought into the fold in April after you've already weathered various lineup changes over the years. Has the entire band gelled yet, or is it still a process with each show?
A: Oh no, we gelled from the very first rehearsal. They brought something to the band. We all get along really great, and that's very important living on a tour bus in close quarters like this. We get along, and we're going to keep going. Knock on wood (laughs).

Q: You were just announced to be on another season of "Celebrity Rehab." How much has Dr. Drew and the show helped you get to where you want to be in this battle?
A: Dr. Drew and Bob Forrest are amazing and wonderful people. Everybody they have on the show, they give an opportunity to get their lives together and have a second chance at life and their careers. I realized that the first time I worked with Dr. Drew. I wanted to change my life, and I want to be happy and have my life move forward. I was at a stagnant stage, you could say, where nothing was happening. I went in again for a tune-up on a maintenance program, and I started drinking Jagermeister. I made a 170-degree turn in my life in 2008 when I started working with Dr. Drew. And now, working with Dr. Drew this most recent time, I feel I made the full 180. My life is moving forward. A lot of my musician friends, they're not even working this summer. So I'm ecstatic to be doing this and going out on the road and coming to Texas.

Q: Which part of your book do fans and/or musicians ask you about the most?
A: Doing that book was so enjoyable to me. For one, I had been working on that book for eight years, and I couldn't get it together until I started working with Dr. Drew. I had to take responsibility for actions in my life and everything that's happened. I got to make amends with Slash, Izzy and Duff, my mother, my old girlfriends -- even a girlfriend from when I was 15 years old. Once I made amends, it was so easy to write the book. I don't blame anyone. I don't say anything negative in the book about anyone. When I was done with the book, it came out, I read it, I built a big fire in my fireplace, and I threw that book in the fireplace. That symbolized for me to leave my past alone, and now I'm living for today and for the future.

Q: Adler's Appetite has released three songs in the past year. When can we expect the completed album?
A: I can't say who we're going into the studio with or the record label, but right after this tour is over, we're going to have a big press conference. I'm really excited about this. I finally get this opportunity to show my music for the people. Axl's doing solo stuff and calling it Guns N' Roses, Slash and Izzy and Duff are doing their stuff. I'm finally at a place in my life where I can make a record of my own.

Q: You've been the most outspoken member of Guns N' Roses in favor of a reunion. Will it ever happen?
A: I believe in my heart, as long as the five of us are alive, it is possible to do it. We owe it to the fans. It's been 23 years, and the fans are still supportive of us. We have to do it, not just for us. For me personally, I just want to finish what I started with those goofballs. We've all had wonderful careers because of Appetite For Destruction.

Steven, thanks so much for the time on your tight schedule. I look forward very much to interviewing you guys here next weekend, and we can't wait for the show.

Thanks for the time, Jay. And if the fans can, check out adlersappetite.com to see where we're playing. I love playing and meeting all of the fans.

http://www.examiner.com/metal-music-in-san-antonio/q-a-guns-n-roses-original-drummer-hungry-to-perform-san-antonio

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: