Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:06:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Matt Sorum: VR Has Album's Worth Of Music With Corey Taylor Ready To Be Released
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matt Sorum: VR Has Album's Worth Of Music With Corey Taylor Ready To Be Released  (Read 14869 times)
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 10:48:56 AM »

If Velvet Revolver were really a priority, they would have gone with Corey Taylor.   But Slash would rather do his solo thing, because he can get a bigger percentage...and be the star.  Also seemed like a lot of fans were still not sold on Corey...it would have been viewed as another side project for him, and he could've bailed at any time, for something else.   Would still be cool to hear a Duff/Corey sideproject like Bodhi mentioned, something a little more under the radar, but still authentic. 

Didn't know Myles Kennedy and the rest of the band were working for free! Also, I'm sure having Kid Rock, Ozzy Osbourne sing on your record did not exactly come cheap Roll Eyes

Good point.

Also, if Slash had such a problem sharing the spotlight, he probably wouldn't have Iggy, Lemmy, Ozzy, Cornell, Stockdale, Shadows, Fergie, Levine, Kid Rock etc on his solo album.
If VR recruited Corey, he might rival Slash in terms of star power, but it would still be viewed as Slash's band.
I don't get the sense that sharing the spotlight would be a determining factor in the search for a singer at all. They just want the right guy.

i dont think its all sharing the spotlight, its just creative control. And I don't think you could argue that Slash has less 'control' Solo than with VR, even if he is using those big names. He may not have 100% control but nobody is telling him what to play on guitar and thats what really matters to him. He's said things to this effect in interviews.

I just think the right guy threshold has gotten alot higher as Slash has been doing successful solo-y. so I agree if VR found the absolute perfect dude 100%, then he'd go back . But if its like "take a bit of a risk with Corey in VR" vs "keep being succesful solo-y" -  its not worth it for him, whereas it would be for the rest of the band.

Limulus your post made 0% sense to me. It made so little sense that I actually am lolling at it and imagining you high or something. But I don't know what you look like so for some reason I'm just picturing Steven Adler high writing that..  Grin
But if you're trying to say that hes not milking aspects of his brand, your wrong IMHO. He is milking the IMAGE of himself ie the fact that RIGHT NOW in 2011, he is big from Guitar Hero and his cartoonish image and his first album and its red logo and all that shit. He has built up this big worldwide brand by touring on the back of his first album that, if he doesn't milk now, will go to waste!

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 11:00:02 AM »

After looking into more Corey Taylor stuff the dude is really a VERY versatile singer.  Slipknot is only a fraction of what the guy has done.  I've seen him do great acoustic work, piano ballads, rockers and metal songs.  He is a way more versatile singer than Myles or Scott ever will be.  That is not a shot at them,  but it is true.  There are songs Corey Taylor sings that you would never guess were him because his voice sounds completely different than other songs he has done, that is the type of front man I want in VR.  

He also has no ego, is a laid back dude, and fronted one of the most successful rock/metal bands of the last decade.  Slipknot is way bigger than anything Slash or Duff have done post 1994.  I dont know where else you were going to find a guy with that much on his resume who was still starstrucked to be jamming with Slash and Duff and was completely grateful for the opportunity.  Also from a business perspective, the Corey/VR potential marriage garnered a ton of press.  

Maybe Phineas and Ferb's schedule will free up and we can get VR back on track!!

Here is an example of Corey's versatility.  I just feel like he could have fit any style VR wanted to go in.  Once again this just shows Slipknot is a small portion of what Corey does.  One of the best rock songs in recent years in my opinion>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP0KRDRuZiM

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:01:34 AM by Bodhi » Logged
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 11:39:22 AM »

After looking into more Corey Taylor stuff the dude is really a VERY versatile singer.  Slipknot is only a fraction of what the guy has done.  I've seen him do great acoustic work, piano ballads, rockers and metal songs.  He is a way more versatile singer than Myles or Scott ever will be.  That is not a shot at them,  but it is true.  There are songs Corey Taylor sings that you would never guess were him because his voice sounds completely different than other songs he has done, that is the type of front man I want in VR.  

He also has no ego, is a laid back dude, and fronted one of the most successful rock/metal bands of the last decade.  Slipknot is way bigger than anything Slash or Duff have done post 1994.  I dont know where else you were going to find a guy with that much on his resume who was still starstrucked to be jamming with Slash and Duff and was completely grateful for the opportunity.  Also from a business perspective, the Corey/VR potential marriage garnered a ton of press.  

Maybe Phineas and Ferb's schedule will free up and we can get VR back on track!!

Here is an example of Corey's versatility.  I just feel like he could have fit any style VR wanted to go in.  Once again this just shows Slipknot is a small portion of what Corey does.  One of the best rock songs in recent years in my opinion>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP0KRDRuZiM

If this were Facebook, I'd be liking the fuck out of this post. Zzyzx Rd. is an amazing song, and shows that Corey is more than just the angry, shouty guy that people seem to think he is. Out of all the rock singers to come into prominence in the last 15 years, I'm pretty sure Corey is the most versatile and chameleon-like of them all. The only thing that might have made him a little out of place in Velvet Revolver is that he often works the stage at more of a leisurely pace than than the rest of the band that run around at full throttle for the entire show. But then, so does Myles Kennedy, and he doesn't seem out of place playing with Slash.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 11:40:18 AM »

If Velvet Revolver were really a priority, they would have gone with Corey Taylor.   But Slash would rather do his solo thing, because he can get a bigger percentage...and be the star.  Also seemed like a lot of fans were still not sold on Corey...it would have been viewed as another side project for him, and he could've bailed at any time, for something else.   Would still be cool to hear a Duff/Corey sideproject like Bodhi mentioned, something a little more under the radar, but still authentic. 

Didn't know Myles Kennedy and the rest of the band were working for free! Also, I'm sure having Kid Rock, Ozzy Osbourne sing on your record did not exactly come cheap Roll Eyes

Good point.

Also, if Slash had such a problem sharing the spotlight, he probably wouldn't have Iggy, Lemmy, Ozzy, Cornell, Stockdale, Shadows, Fergie, Levine, Kid Rock etc on his solo album.
If VR recruited Corey, he might rival Slash in terms of star power, but it would still be viewed as Slash's band.
I don't get the sense that sharing the spotlight would be a determining factor in the search for a singer at all. They just want the right guy.

i dont think its all sharing the spotlight, its just creative control. And I don't think you could argue that Slash has less 'control' Solo than with VR, even if he is using those big names. He may not have 100% control but nobody is telling him what to play on guitar and thats what really matters to him. He's said things to this effect in interviews.

I just think the right guy threshold has gotten alot higher as Slash has been doing successful solo-y. so I agree if VR found the absolute perfect dude 100%, then he'd go back . But if its like "take a bit of a risk with Corey in VR" vs "keep being succesful solo-y" -  its not worth it for him, whereas it would be for the rest of the band.

Limulus your post made 0% sense to me. It made so little sense that I actually am lolling at it and imagining you high or something. But I don't know what you look like so for some reason I'm just picturing Steven Adler high writing that..  Grin
But if you're trying to say that hes not milking aspects of his brand, your wrong IMHO. He is milking the IMAGE of himself ie the fact that RIGHT NOW in 2011, he is big from Guitar Hero and his cartoonish image and his first album and its red logo and all that shit. He has built up this big worldwide brand by touring on the back of his first album that, if he doesn't milk now, will go to waste!

Sure, it goes without saying that has more control with the solo album than he would with VR. I think Scott was a pretty versatile singer, but Slash doesn't have to worry about one guys limitations, if any if he has the choice of picking a different singer for different songs. Pretty cool luxury to have. I think it worked out great. I'm happy he did the solo album because Libertad sounded more cohesive than Contraband to my ears, but a bit uninspired.

The whole "milking" thing sounds negative, which maybe isn't how you intended it to come off as, but I see it as him having fun doing what he wants to do. He's touring with ego less people who seem to genuinely be enjoying playing together, whereas VR wasn't that band the past couple years. Why would he rush back into another potentially bad situation when he's enjoying what he is doing now? Especially when it's been successful?

He's out there touring and recording/releasing records. He's as active as he's ever been since GNR. People like to get their panties in a bunch when he does a commercial, but he's out there making music, which is all that matters to me.

I think Corey Taylor is a talented guy, but clearly something didn't work there. Maybe they didn't give him enough time, who knows. I for one think he has a good voice, but not impressed with the lyrics I've heard.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 08:57:38 PM »

eh just cos Corey does slow songs doesn't mean he is the right guy for VR. He's not bad considering the sad state of music we are in... but still he is more on the bland late 90s--present side than on earlier 90s and before side. As for as legendary frontman goes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »

Scott is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY above this dude's league. Please

Scott has IT

I wouldn't know Corey Taylor if he walked up to me with a name tag.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 09:30:42 PM »

Scott is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY above this dude's league. Please

Scott has IT

I wouldn't know Corey Taylor if he walked up to me with a name tag.

Probably cuz he was always wearing a mask in Slipknot lol

I agree.  Corey may be technically better than current-Scott, but honestly, what are these hit songs Corey has done???...cuz I don't know or care about any of them lol  Honestly, there is probably one I like from the first Slipknot album, but I don't even know what it's called, don't own the album, not my style.   Corey is just too metal and I think STP has more of a diverse sound.   I always thought Slipknot was very overrated in the late 90s (I mean 9 people on stage in masks for a rock band?...I was listening to Wu Tang instead...and STP) I was also never into that System of a Down, Mudvayne scene.)  I also think Stone Sour's music sounds pretty bland and soulless for the most part.  Really corny besides a few good vocal parts.  Nowhere near the depth of STP.  I know a bunch of ppl are gonna get pissed and call me ignorant and say I'm wrong, but this is my opinion as a music fan.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:32:50 PM by Trist805 » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 10:30:22 AM »

its amazing how underrated STP are... their catalog of hits is massive.

Scott is one of the all time great onstage performing frontmen.. u can't stop watching him.

I tell this story all the time how i went to see VR to see Slash and Duff and ended up watching Scott entire concert.. Slash became a backdrop

Not impressed from what ive seen of Corey onstage... he has myles kennedy type stage presence when notwearing a costume.

If u aren't Kiss, i hate gimmicks

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 10:46:44 AM »

.  I know a bunch of ppl are gonna get pissed and call me ignorant and say I'm wrong, but this is my opinion as a music fan.

It is not ignorant, just a different opinion. ok

Also no offense to some on the board, but it seems that not many of you are open to music by bands who formed after 1992.   I always thought bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden were pretty boring.  Not BAD bands , just not bands I want to invest a lot of time in. Very predictable radio rock for the most part.   I like songs by them but have no desire to really follow them and I can't even name all the names of people in the band, which is rare for me.  STP and Nirvana I thought were the best of that bunch, and the best 2 bands from to come out of that  early 90's scene.  But even they were never a pimple on the ass of Guns N Roses or Metallica.  Hell I thought late 90's Marilyn Manson was a hell of a lot more interesting than anything that came out in the early 90's.  It seems no one on this board talks about the more current/relevant bands.  With so many great young hard rock bands out there today, I don't really know why anyone would still talk about those early 90's bands.

oh and D, about you not recognizing Corey Taylor if he walked up to you, the exact same thing can be said for Scott Weiland.  If you say Scott Weiland to someone you usually have to include "hes the singer of STP."
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 10:52:23 AM »

maybe not overseas but here in the U.S. Scott would certainly be recognized on the streets.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »

maybe not overseas but here in the U.S. Scott would certainly be recognized on the streets.

by fans of STP sure, not the average person.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »

the average person wouldn't recognize Slash & Axl if they were together lol

anyone in the U.S. who likes popular music knows who Scott is
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 01:52:53 PM »

If the common person recognize a person or not doesn't necessarily have to have anything to say about the persons skills.....There probably is a shitload of talented singers out there we haven't heard of.

The stuff recorded with Corey Taylor would sure be interesting to hear. Corey Taylor is a great vocalist and a great frontman, and he is also in my opinion "real". He also got the personal (drug)history to refer to in the lyrics, wich seems to be important for the VR-guys.

I also agree with Bodhi that a lot of talented bands arose in the late half ogf the 90's, and later, like Manson, and Slipknot. Just because Taylor is known for a newer kind of metal/hard rock, I believe he would adjust fine with VR. Still, in my opinion, Scott is a greater frontman, singer and poet..     But the taste is like the bottom.....

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 03:20:14 PM »

With so many great young hard rock bands out there today, I don't really know why anyone would still talk about those early 90's bands.

I agree with half of that Bodhi, tons of great rock bands out now.

But not knowing why people still talk about those early 90's bands?

That's a point in time in the US that was as influential (musically and culturally) as '77 was in England.

It changed radio, fashion, perception et al...

Beyond my blathering..

I'd like to hear the Corey stuff but not to the point of drool...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »

With so many great young hard rock bands out there today, I don't really know why anyone would still talk about those early 90's bands.

I agree with half of that Bodhi, tons of great rock bands out now.

But not knowing why people still talk about those early 90's bands?

That's a point in time in the US that was as influential (musically and culturally) as '77 was in England.

It changed radio, fashion, perception et al...

Beyond my blathering..

I'd like to hear the Corey stuff but not to the point of drool...

I guess what I really meant was why the 90's bands get talked about so much more on the board here than a lot of the newer hard rock bands that are doing some awesome things.  Avenged Sevenfold is a perfect example.  They are the hottest hard rock band in the country right now, topping the Billboard Charts, headlining festivals, really flying the flag for Guns N Roses, Metallica etc.. yet most on this board are still talking about bands like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam as like the be all end all of music.  Its like anything post 1992 gets dismissed pretty quickly and it seems that Corey Taylor is one of those things.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »

.  I know a bunch of ppl are gonna get pissed and call me ignorant and say I'm wrong, but this is my opinion as a music fan.

It is not ignorant, just a different opinion. ok

Also no offense to some on the board, but it seems that not many of you are open to music by bands who formed after 1992.   I always thought bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden were pretty boring.  Not BAD bands , just not bands I want to invest a lot of time in. Very predictable radio rock for the most part.   I like songs by them but have no desire to really follow them and I can't even name all the names of people in the band, which is rare for me.  STP and Nirvana I thought were the best of that bunch, and the best 2 bands from to come out of that  early 90's scene.  But even they were never a pimple on the ass of Guns N Roses or Metallica.  Hell I thought late 90's Marilyn Manson was a hell of a lot more interesting than anything that came out in the early 90's.  It seems no one on this board talks about the more current/relevant bands.  With so many great young hard rock bands out there today, I don't really know why anyone would still talk about those early 90's bands.

oh and D, about you not recognizing Corey Taylor if he walked up to you, the exact same thing can be said for Scott Weiland.  If you say Scott Weiland to someone you usually have to include "hes the singer of STP."

I'm pretty sure my opinion is the exact opposite of all yours in this post, haha. I personally think that bands like Marilyn Manson, Korn, Limp Bizkit etc had there hands in the demise of good popular music. I thought they were okay, cool for a change to an extent. I bought Korn's first album, really dug the drums and bass parts. It got pretty old for me within a year at the longest though and I'll probably never revisit it again. Same with Limp Bizkits first album, and then I think they got progressively worse to the point where they just became a joke. Tried to get into Marilyn Manson, but that's mission impossible for me. Then you had that god awful wave of "punk" music like Sum 41 and Blink 182.

Of the 90's bands you mention, I put Soundgarden and AIC at the top, after GN'R of course, and Nirvana and Pearl Jam at the bottom. Always felt PJ were overrated as they never put out a record that impressed me front to back like the others. Plus they got soft real quick. Second album quick. You wouldn't know McCready is a phenomenal guitarist listening to PJ, but it's obvious when listening to Temple of the Dog or Mad Season. They find a way to hide one of rock's best drummers in Cameron as well. Voices don't come much better than Layne Staley or Chris Cornell. I would recommend digging deeper into Soundgarden, because very few bands have a discography as eclectic as theirs. STP is one of my favorite live bands and their first 3 records were gold. Not sure what the fuck went wrong after Tiny Music though...

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music, but just don't think they make them like they used to. People still talk about the early 90's because it's something we will most likely never see again. I'd kill to find ONE new band today that sounded anywhere near as good to me as those from that era. If you have any songs to recommend that you think would change my  mind I'd love to hear em.

Anyways, way off topic, but just thought it was funny how polar opposite my view was from yours.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 04:25:04 PM »

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music, but just don't think they make them like they used to. People still talk about the early 90's because it's something we will most likely never see again. I'd kill to find ONE new band today that sounded anywhere near as good to me as those from that era. If you have any songs to recommend that you think would change my  mind I'd love to hear em.

Anyways, way off topic, but just thought it was funny how polar opposite my view was from yours.

yeah that is funny how we are on completely different sides of the spectrum on this.  I hated the early 90's for the most part with the exception of the few bands we mentioned but  I really love Oasis, Sum 41, Blink 182 and My Chemical Romance.  I really enjoyed Marilyn Manson and NIN for a period of time there.  I'm a big fan of Warped Tour and a lot of bands there.

I do agree with you that they dont make them like they used to.  1987-1993 is my favorite era of music minus the grunge/alt rock bands.  I thought those were the best years of GNR, Metallica and Megadeth, 3 of my 4 favorite bands.   I put Avenged Sevenfold in their category.  I'm always hesitant to put newer bands on the level of my favorite 3 but I am blown away by all of their albums.  "Nightmare" is right up there with the classics in my opinion.  I would give that album a listen from start to finish, great guitar album and just great hard rock in general.  I think you might like it.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »

yeah that is funny how we are on completely different sides of the spectrum on this.  I hated the early 90's for the most part with the exception of the few bands we mentioned but  I really love Oasis, Sum 41, Blink 182 and My Chemical Romance.  I really enjoyed Marilyn Manson and NIN for a period of time there.  I'm a big fan of Warped Tour and a lot of bands there.

I do agree with you that they dont make them like they used to.  1987-1993 is my favorite era of music minus the grunge/alt rock bands.  I thought those were the best years of GNR, Metallica and Megadeth, 3 of my 4 favorite bands.   I put Avenged Sevenfold in their category.  I'm always hesitant to put newer bands on the level of my favorite 3 but I am blown away by all of their albums.  "Nightmare" is right up there with the classics in my opinion.  I would give that album a listen from start to finish, great guitar album and just great hard rock in general.  I think you might like it.

I used to go to all the Warped Tours. Mainly to see Vision of Disorder, which they routinely backed out of. Yup, 87-93 were the golden years, haha.
I will check out Nightmare. Not sure if they already missed you, but I would highly recommend catching Soundgarden live if you can grab a cheap ticket.
I was surprised to see they haven't lost much, if any since their hey day. I think they'd win you over.

As for this album with Corey Taylor, I'd like to hear it.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »

I trust a lot of slash's judgement... If the album was great, we would hear it. He must know that it isn't great.

Kind of like when Josh Todd tried out.. those guys had HUGE hits with Crazy Bitch and Sorry but SLash knew it wasn't the right fit.

Same with this.. do u want a guy in 2 other big bands being ur singer? Sounds like it would constitute a lot of juggling and it wouldn't feel like a "REAL" band.

Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »

I believe Manson roots go back to 1989 or early 90s at the latest. Korn was an interesting progression to NIN/Manson but were shortlived because where can you take your sound from there. Linkin Park was a good mixture of nu-metal and pop that was interesting but lacked the musicianship to stop rehashing the same songs over and over. System of a down..great band sonically like soundgarden to a lesser extent. Rage was pre-numetal so they are great. Then you have whinny emo-metal which also was short-lived. Now you have bands like AX7 extremely talented players getting away from the blandness of the past 15yrs but still where is the next great frontman?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: