Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:02:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Duff McKagan Fender Snowboard Bass; Video
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff McKagan Fender Snowboard Bass; Video  (Read 1700 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: September 18, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »

VIDEO: Signal's Duff McKagan Fender snowboard bass

Get air, slap and pop all at once!

Sat 17 Sep 2011

Thanks to the good folks at Signal Snowboards and Fender, Duff McKagan is one step closer to owning a bass he can take from the slopes to the stage. Or he could simply rock out from 11,000 feet if he likes.

It all started when the producers of Every Third Thursday, a web show created by Signal Snowboards, got the bright idea to make a hybrid snowboard bass. They chose Duff McKagan, known for such bands as Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver and now Loaded, as the man to honor and hooked up with Fender to create the ultimate dual-purpose baby.

As you can see in the video above, they pulled it off. Using one of McKagan's signature Fender basses and a Signal snowboard, the result is a one-of-a-kind, playable instrument that doubles as a vehicle for serious mountain action.

While McKagan didn't perform any actual snowy stunts himself, he was nonetheless astonished by the level of innovation both teams brought to the party. And how did the snowboard bass hold up when Dave Lee and Pat Garvin put it to the test at Oregon's Mount Hood? Check out the clip...

Video: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/video-signals-duff-mckagan-fender-snowboard-bass-498271

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 01:51:16 PM »

weird  hihi

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:25:31 PM »

yea that is very random.  I did like how the board would have bass effects when you landed and whatnot.  I want to see Duff play that snowboard at a gig sometime lol
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »

Duff is interviewed about the "project":

Duff McKagan's signature bass snowboard

Sept. 19, 2011

Signal Snowboards has been running an often-hilarious and always-inspiring video series online called "Every Third Thursday," that documents the Signal crew's crazy, creative outlook on building snowboards. Once a month, the crew gets together, comes up with a crazy concept for a custom snowboard, builds it and then tests it out on the hill. So far they've made a paintball snowboard and a turntable snowboard, to name some highlights. Last week they decided to step up and make one out of a Duff McKagan signature Fender bass.

It just so happens that the former Guns N' Roses bassist, and current lead singer and guitarist for the band Loaded, is also a columnist for ESPN The Life. So we called up the multi-talented rock god/sports blogger to see what this interest in snowboarding was all about.

ESPN: So how did you get involved in this project?
Duff McKagan: A mutual friend introduced me to Dave Lee in California. He took me down to the Signal factory and showed me around, and Dave told me about this idea he had to build a bass snowboard. I didn't really even understand what he was talking about, though. His idea was kind of crazy. So I just put him in touch with Fender and it went from there.

So you and Dave just met? It looks from the video like you'd been homies for awhile.
That's Seattle homie stuff right there. It's a Northwest thing. That's how Seattle guys get along when they meet out in the world. We just become friends at the drop of a hat. But Dave is a really good guy, so he makes it easy. All of the people at Signal are like him. The whole energy of the place is really positive, very genuine. It was cool to see.

So are you a snowboarder yourself? How did they think to tie you in to this?
I suck. I've been doing it for 17 years, but I ... really, I just suck. I'm a latecomer to snowboarding, even though I grew up in Seattle. I was the last of eight kids, and it just wasn't our lot in life to be able to go up to the mountain and be able to pay for lift tickets. But after I got sober a friend of mine decided to take me snowboarding. I'd never been up a chairlift before, but he told me it was just like skateboarding. So I went up with him and he left me at the top of the mountain. I had to figure out how to get down. And that was my learning day.

Sounds about right.
But I learned and really kind of took to it. I get to go maybe four-five times in a season. So multiply that times 17 years. It's about 50 days, which is why I suck. But I like it. I don't do tricks or anything. I just carve.

And you used to skateboard?
Hell yeah, man, it was the 70s. Punk rock. Everybody was a skateboarder then.

So this bass they used -- it's your signature model? What's the story with it?
Well, when Guns N' Roses first got a record deal, I used our first advance to pay three months of rent on this s---hole apartment, and then I used the rest to buy gear. I bought this 1986 Japanese Fender -- this model that they only made for one year. And I played it on Appetite, and all the Guns albums, really, and it just became my bass sound.

So Fender started making basses for me -- just for me, though, because it wasn't a production model. And 20 years later they decided to turn it into a signature model. So now it's in production, the Duff McKagan Fender bass, which is a huge honor. That's the one they used to make the snowboard with.

Did you mess around with it? Was the bass playable?
Not in the classic sense. I couldn't play a gig on it. You couldn't fret any of the positions. But it was ridiculous. It had everything -- tuning pegs, pickup -- but it wasn't "playable," for a lot of reasons, but mainly because the board bends. Still, the thing was ingenious.

The people at Fender thought so, too. Last week, actually, Fender opened a huge new, beautiful museum out in Corona, Calif. They had a big fancy reception, with every Fender artist you can think at the party. It's such a big honor to have a guitar up on the wall, and they're all up there.

And the snowboard was up on the wall, too, underneath my bass, and it was the talk of the night. Everybody had their iPhones out filming it, watching the video. I don't know if it's going to live there, but I hope it does. It's such a cool piece to have in a museum like that. It really looked great up there. Those guys did an amazing job.

http://espn.go.com/action/snowboarding/blog/_/post/6992033/duff-mckagan-signature-bass-snowboard

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: