Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:50:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Did they cancel Albany?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did they cancel Albany?  (Read 29194 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2011, 08:27:42 AM »

From Ron to someone complaining about the cancellation on Twitter:

And a very big apology man. We're missing the show too and am bummed about the cancellation Sad

11 hours ago via web

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »

With all the rampant speculation about every possible cause other than production issues, has anyone taken the time to think that it could possibly be 'production issues'?  Lets all just hold our breath for Friday, and not stir the massive pot of anxiety that has been set to boil.   ok

Obviously not. That would not be the most doomsday scenario Smiley

As far as ticket sales go, I get why people would think that's possible. But, does anyone who thinks that is the reason actually know what the ticket sales were for the show? Or, how this show sold comparatively to other shows that proceeded as scheduled?

Food for thought.

Ali

yes, i've been checking ticket availability in just about every city, and albany was selling the poorest based on where you could get 8 seats together as of this past saturday.

But in my opinion, that was to be expected. Albany is not a major area, and the band just played 2 shows within reasonable driving distance. Also, while the night before Turkey Day is a huge night out for people in their 20?s, it?s a very difficult night to get out for most people with kids.

Whether my speculation is true or not, all that matters is, it?s not the band?s fault. This tour is going extremely well and I?m sure they will pick things up on Friday. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »

Shit happens and at least they cancelled with advance notice!  Sorry for those of you missing the show.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
sandman
Legend

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2011, 09:33:31 AM »

And a very big apology man. We're missing the show too and am bummed about the cancellation Sad

11 hours ago via web

that's awesome. ron's a cool dude. seems like someone sent him a nasty tweet, and he responded with total class and honesty. i'm sure the band is very bummed about the whole situation.

Wilkes Barre was not that crowded and they still performed as if they were in front of 80,000 people. it was awesome. can't freakin wait to see them again saturday night!

johnreed3344
Rocker

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2011, 10:05:57 AM »

11 hours ago via web

that's awesome. ron's a cool dude. seems like someone sent him a nasty tweet, and he responded with total class and honesty. i'm sure the band is very bummed about the whole situation.

Wilkes Barre was not that crowded and they still performed as if they were in front of 80,000 people. it was awesome. can't freakin wait to see them again saturday night!

i will be going saturday night too.......from the looks of the setup in Hartford could be a packed house!

12/5/02
5/17/06
11/5/06
11/17/11
11/26/11
2/10/12
2/24/12
6/8/13
4/8/16
4/16/16
7/14/16
7/23/16
10/11/17
10/12/17
10/15/17
10/16/17
7/1/18
10/1/19
8/5/21
8/11/23
8/15/23 NE
jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »

It's not a big college town anyway.......    rofl
JSMastro
Opening Act

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2011, 12:45:59 PM »

I just spoke to someone who is on the crew.  Supposedly, it was definitely due to poor advance sales, given the night before Thanksgiving.  Foolish of the promoter or manager or whomever booked a show that night, given the holiday.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2011, 12:59:01 PM »

With all the rampant speculation about every possible cause other than production issues, has anyone taken the time to think that it could possibly be 'production issues'?  Lets all just hold our breath for Friday, and not stir the massive pot of anxiety that has been set to boil.   ok

As far as ticket sales go, I get why people would think that's possible. But, does anyone who thinks that is the reason actually know what the ticket sales were for the show? Or, how this show sold comparatively to other shows that proceeded as scheduled?

Food for thought.

Ali

yes, i've been checking ticket availability in just about every city, and albany was selling the poorest based on where you could get 8 seats together as of this past saturday.

But in my opinion, that was to be expected. Albany is not a major area, and the band just played 2 shows within reasonable driving distance. Also, while the night before Turkey Day is a huge night out for people in their 20?s, it?s a very difficult night to get out for most people with kids.

Whether my speculation is true or not, all that matters is, it?s not the band?s fault. This tour is going extremely well and I?m sure they will pick things up on Friday. 

No offense, but that is hardly an exact method. Maybe if there was one of those interactive seating charts, I'd have 100% confidence in what you're saying.

Ali
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2011, 01:30:30 PM »

I just spoke to someone who is on the crew.  Supposedly, it was definitely due to poor advance sales, given the night before Thanksgiving.  Foolish of the promoter or manager or whomever booked a show that night, given the holiday.

Also foolish to wait until 2 days before the show to cancel. I think it should have been obvious about a week ago that this show was gonna be a sales bust. This show was a victim of the half assed way most of these tour dates were announced.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:32:01 PM by LunsJail » Logged

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »

Food for thought.

Ali

No offense, but that is hardly an exact method. Maybe if there was one of those interactive seating charts, I'd have 100% confidence in what you're saying.

Ali

none taken. i clearly stated i was speculating. i think i made it blatently obvious it is not an exact method. but it's not a totally incorrect method either. call the venue and ask them....they will tell you it was due to poor sales. so my speculation was actually correct.

IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »

Ali
It should also be noted that this is a large venue, with over 15,000 seats...in the past big acts have set up around where the faceoff circles would be on ice...leaving around 10,000 seats, plus additional cap'y in 'floor' area.  We may never know what killed this show, but my guess is insurance issue, police/fire safety, or staffing issue are probably the real reason...remember - Albany bars would still be open, even if Guns ran later than normal - and it's already the biggest drinking day of the year...I can see city demanding additional $$$ for police details and such.  Either way - GnR was ready to do it - and it's not the bands fault.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
Annie
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2011, 02:51:23 PM »

I am sorry for everyone that had tickets. Total bummer. Cry I was pretty sad when the Milwaukee show was cancelled 5 years ago.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »

In the 23 times I've seen GN'R, luckily I've never had to feel the dissapointment of a cancellation or a "no show". I can't imagine what it must feel like, but I know it must totally suck to be excited to see GN'R one minute, then feeling like crap the next.  Undecided
Ali
Legend

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2011, 03:14:57 PM »

It's a bit worrying as to what is the real reason  no

i called the times uion center. they said production issues.
With respect, Sandman, someone is saying they did call the venue and were told it was production issues.

Ali
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »

With respect, Sandman, someone is saying they did call the venue and were told it was production issues.

Ali
Good call, I hate this thing where somebody says something and somebody else can't accept the answer, so they come up with "their own" truth. Why can't people just leave it alone?

Yes it sucks that some fans are losing their "day of worship" and can't imagine how it feels, but sometimes something throws a curveball and makes it impossible. If it was a timing/sales issue, they'd return at a later date I have thought, maybe chuck in MSG show or two to make it worth while, this sounds very much like a venue issue...

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
sandman
Legend

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »

Ali

i called and asked directly if it was poor ticket sales. you seem especially interested, so i would suggest you do the same. get your information first hand. someone also said they know someone on the crew that confirmed it as well.

quite honestly, i HOPE it was poor ticket sales. cause IF it truly is "production issues", then every other show is subject to cancellation. this is a big venue that holds major shows, so if there really is some "production issue" that required this show to be canceled, than i would be nervous about every upcoming show. because that tells me that this could happen anywhere.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2011, 05:20:49 PM »

Ali

i called and asked directly if it was poor ticket sales. you seem especially interested, so i would suggest you do the same. get your information first hand. someone also said they know someone on the crew that confirmed it as well.

quite honestly, i HOPE it was poor ticket sales. cause IF it truly is "production issues", then every other show is subject to cancellation. this is a big venue that holds major shows, so if there really is some "production issue" that required this show to be canceled, than i would be nervous about every upcoming show. because that tells me that this could happen anywhere.

Just pointing out that at the very least, there are inconsistencies in what people are being told. It doesn't really matter if I call and hear "poor ticket sales". Someone else has already been given a different answer. Maybe there are two factors?

I agree it is concerning if it was production issues in regards to future shows.

Ali
sandman
Legend

« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2011, 07:10:47 PM »

I agree and none of us can know for sure. It is kinda wishful thinking on my part. I have 12 friends going saturday that would not be going if it wasnt for me buying tix. And i'm a little paranoid thinking about things that could go wrong. IF poor sales is the issue, than i have less to worry about for the philly show, cause around 5,500+ (out of 7000) have been sold and i'm guessing that will be between 6 and 7 thousand by showtime. They sold over 100 tix in the last day or 2.

erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2011, 06:11:02 AM »

At least there's alot of other gn'r show pretty close by...

And the fact that it's not gn'r's decicion should help a little. But yeah, of course it sucks...

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
AXL DEMOCRACY
Rocker

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »

I completely blame the promoter for not only canceling the show because of greed; yeah I understand it is a business and they don't want to lose money and they have it in their contract where they can do this, but to not only cancel but also wait until a day before to do so when fans like myself have already made plans WEEKS ahead of time to alter their holiday plans in order to attend this concert, is really pathetic.
I'd only be upset with the band if they knew ahead of time as well, and did not make an announcement; maybe if they knew they were legally not allowed to announce anything until the promoter did?  I have no idea.  But yeah that would be my only gripe with the band is if they knew it in advance and were allowed to announce it and just waited a day before to do so.
I spent my Thanksgiving traveling from Albany back to NYC; missed my nephew's first Thanksgiving and a chance to see some family.  I know that was MY decision, but still makes me upset that someone's greedy decision had to ruin what would have been a good show.
I went up to Albany in 2002 to see G N' R play, and though the arena (same one they were set to play this go around) was not sold out, the crowd was great and the arena was pretty full.  Even if they didn't sell well this time around, I think the crowd would have been solid; too bad the promoter didn't allow that chance.  There was a huge amount of people in the bars and around town last night in Albany as it usually is the day before Thanksgiving; back in 2002 getting out of the G N' R show my friends and I couldn't even get into a few bars cause they were over packed.  I think if the show was allowed to go on, there would have been a significant amount of walk ups increasing sales.  But again, as a business I understand the promoter didn't want to risk it, but it still completely sucks they did this the day before the show.
The only thing I can do is boycott this promoter's future shows; Magic Hat Productions; not sure if they are promoting ALL the G N' R shows on this tour, but if it is just a New York based promoter I will be sure to not support them, and I also plan on writing them a nasty email/letter.

"The art comes first.  It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically." - W. Axl Rose
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: