Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:04:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227829 Posts in 43249 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 463529 times)
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #1820 on: April 04, 2012, 09:54:37 AM »

(yes, 21st Century Breakdown is better than Dookie).

No...

Agreed they are a good band (at least I think so, I sort of expected this reaction from a Guns fanbase), but 21st Century Breakdown isn't even better than American Idiot - much less Dookie!

21st Century Breakdown is the worse Green Day album ever made. Even Kerplunk and 1039 puts it to shame.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1821 on: April 04, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »

Agreed they are a good band (at least I think so, I sort of expected this reaction from a Guns fanbase)

Thats because most of the Guns fanbase are stuck in 1992, at least the ones who are hoping for a reunion.  No offense to any of those fans, but I still see them talking about Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, STP all the time but a lot of great rock music has come out in the last 10 years. I notice that a lot of these fans don't pay attention to any of it.

I think the Hall chose Green Day because they are going to be able to handle any situation that happens with GNR.  They are hilarious, easy going and total pros.  If all hell breaks loose (which it probably wont) Green Day will make something cool happen with it and be able to jam out a fantastic performance with any of the 7 who want to take part in it.

Also keep in mind, Green Day is doing Guns N Roses and the Hall the favor here, they have nothing to gain by doing this speech.  Their next record will top the Billboard charts and the upcoming tour will sell out everywhere with or without this Hall of Fame appearance.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:44:05 AM by Bodhi » Logged
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #1822 on: April 04, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »

Thats because most of the Guns fanbase are stuck in 1992, at least the ones who are hoping for a reunion.  No offense to any of those fans, but I still see them talking about Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, STP all the time but a lot of great rock music has come out in the last 10 years. I notice that a lot of these fans don't pay attention to any of it.

I agree and it shows how narrow minded the majority have become. Chinese Democracy was never given a fair chance either (The release was horrible also but that is another story)

Their next record will top the Billboard charts and the upcoming tour will sell out everywhere with or without this Hall of Fame appearance.

Many around here refuse to believe this...but it is the truth.

I think the Hall chose Green Day because they are going to be able to handle any situation that happens with GNR.  They are hilarious, easy going and total pros.  If all hell breaks loose (which it probably wont) Green Day will make something cool happen with it

Green Day are great guys and very funny. I don't doubt they will bring positivity and fun to the ceremony.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1823 on: April 04, 2012, 11:00:59 AM »

Green Day is a better alternative than something like Offspring!

Maybe some people were hoping for Steel Panther... Or Poison!

The thing with GN'R's influence is that it's not so apparent.

Most of the bands that copied GN'R's sound just copied whatever else got popular a few years later.

Then you got the fact that music history has been re-written many times since then. How many times have you read about how GN'R were just part of the same scene that gave us bands like Winger and Pretty Boy Floyd? Which is false. The whole thing about GN'R were that they were against all that, they were an alternative to all that. But they still get lumped together with all those horrible bands.... Because some like to say Nirvana were the ones who made it "uncool" to like those bands.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1824 on: April 04, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »

Sorry, Green Day is a great choice-Aerosmith or Sebastian Bach would have been too much of an obvious choice.

libertad
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1825 on: April 04, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »

Green Day inducting Guns is a bullshit move. They have no business/ right to have such an honour. They should have got a young up and coming rock band to induct Guns. Not these fools who represent everything that is wrong with 'rock' music in this generation.

The Hall is basically slapping Guns in the face.

The fact that Guns are the ones who broke the news sounds like Axl is ok with it-whether he shows or not

libertad
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1826 on: April 04, 2012, 11:19:33 AM »

Agreed they are a good band (at least I think so, I sort of expected this reaction from a Guns fanbase)

I think the Hall chose Green Day because they are going to be able to handle any situation that happens with GNR.  They are hilarious, easy going and total pros.  If all hell breaks loose (which it probably wont) Green Day will make something cool happen with it and be able to jam out a fantastic performance with any of the 7 who want to take part in it.

Also keep in mind, Green Day is doing Guns N Roses and the Hall the favor here, they have nothing to gain by doing this speech.  Their next record will top the Billboard charts and the upcoming tour will sell out everywhere with or without this Hall of Fame appearance.

You do realize that Green Day started out around the exact same time as STP, AIC, Soundgarden, right?
I'm an old fart, I can admit that, but Green Day isn't exactly new. They are as old as the greats you mentioned, but far below them all as far as creativity and musicianship in my opinion. Well, musicianship is more of a fact than my opinion..

But I'm not sure SG/STP/AIC were influenced at all by GN'R, so as much as I prefer those bands to Green Day, I wouldn't say they are necessarily logical choices to induct GN'R.

I don't mind Green Day inducting them. It's not real exciting, but I guess I can't think of any realistic great options.
They seem like funny dudes, so I'm sure it'll be entertaining. Billy Joe is a good frontman.

I saw Green Day play a free show at the half shell in Boston a million years ago. Strange to think they are this big today, and inducting GN'R into the HOF.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:39:59 AM by LongGoneDay » Logged
Judas Fuckin Priest
Headliner

« Reply #1827 on: April 04, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »

Green Day?  no

They're just teen idols, Guns n' Roses deserved a consistest band to induct them, such as Aerosmith, Van Halen or why not Queen.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1828 on: April 04, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »

Watch Brain Stew/Jaded on You Tube and tell me Green Day was not influenced by bands like Guns or Motley Crue

libertad
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1829 on: April 04, 2012, 11:36:10 AM »

Green Day?  no

They're just teen idols, Guns n' Roses deserved a consistest band to induct them, such as Aerosmith, Van Halen or why not Queen.

Are you aware how long Green Day have been around?

libertad
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #1830 on: April 04, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »

Green Day?  no

Give this member a -1 karma   Tongue

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1831 on: April 04, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »

Aerosmith, Van Halen or why not Queen.

I love Aerosmith, but consistent... guess you never heard Just Push Play?
Never liked Van Halen, so won't comment on them other than to say that would be a pretty huge reminder of the disaster that was Velvet Revolver inducting them.
And as for Queen... you do realise that if it wasn't for the cancellation of Sonisphere they would right now be preparing for a show with Adam Lambert as their singer, right? Adam Lambert, a guy who didn't win American Idol? And you complained about Green Day being "just teen idols"?
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1832 on: April 04, 2012, 12:12:29 PM »

I still think Kid Rock would have been a good choice, maybe he wasn't available. Green Day is a good choice too though. As for the people saying they are everything that's wrong with rock today.....at least they're playing rock. Everything else is hip hop, electronica, dance or just plain pop.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
ckgent
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1833 on: April 04, 2012, 12:24:09 PM »

Green Day?  no

Are you aware how long Green Day have been around?

they sarted in 1987....same year guns released afd
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1834 on: April 04, 2012, 12:29:30 PM »

I think you assume too much.   ok You're confusing not paying attention to something with not liking it, or not having it be your cup of tea.  I'm not hoping for a reunion by any means, and Green Day is not my cup of tea.  I respect Billie Joe's talent as a songwriter, but poppy punk music is not a genre that particularly appeals to me.

Ali
Estranged#9
Rocker

"maybe i'l get it right next time..?."

« Reply #1835 on: April 04, 2012, 12:30:59 PM »

Wow I had to post this but I'm sitting in the dentist office waiting to get fillings and reading this thread and Greenday just came on playing *time of your life*  Shocked

I was just getting ready to put my two cents in about good/bad they (GD) are inducting guns but il take this a good sign  ok

And by the way I always thought Lenny Kravitz would of
Been a good choice!

Chicago11/18/02
N'ville10/22/06
Chicago11/27/06
Chicago11/15/11
Nashville12/4/11 CivilWar
Chicago2/19/12HOB
Vegas 11/23/12 izzy
Vegas 11/24/12 izzy
KC 6/2/13
Vegas 6/6/14
Vegas 6/7/14
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1836 on: April 04, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »

You do realize that Green Day started out around the exact same time as STP, AIC, Soundgarden, right?
I'm an old fart, I can admit that, but Green Day isn't exactly new. They are as old as the greats you mentioned, but far below them all as far as creativity and musicianship in my opinion. Well, musicianship is more of a fact than my opinion..

Yes,  I bought Dookie in 94 so I am aware of that.  However in the last 10 years they are WAY more relevant than any of those bands, and put out much better records.  Green Day have been in their creative and commercial prime from 2004 to now.  They have been as consistent as band like Metallica, as far as longevity, but their albums actually keep getting better.

Not sure about the musician comment, better guitar playing sure, but I prefer Billie Joe as a song songwriter to all of them.  That's a personal preference.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1837 on: April 04, 2012, 12:36:23 PM »

As much as this pains people, chances are Axl was listening to more of bands like Green Day, White Zombie, and Nine Inch Nails and Nirvana in the 90's than Van Halen or Queen, or Lenny Kravitz.

libertad
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1838 on: April 04, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »

I can't believe more people aren't stoked about this. For me personally, I was all GNR(all i listened to)  until around 1993, when GNR faded out, in came Green Day, and i had another band that i fell in love with. This is amazing for ppl like me!! Easilly the best choice IMO...i'm sure there are alot of otheres in their 30's that feel the same!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1839 on: April 04, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »

I can't believe more people aren't stoked about this. For me personally, I was all GNR(all i listened to)  until around 1993, when GNR faded out, in came Green Day, and i had another band that i fell in love with. This is amazing for ppl like me!! Easilly the best choice IMO...i'm sure there are alot of otheres in their 30's that feel the same!

same here, 2 of my favorite  bands of all-time on the same stage, I was really excited when I heard about it.  I never went the Seattle route in the mid 90's, that music never did anything for me, I was all about bands like  Green Day, Pennywise, Blink, NIN and Manson.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:44:13 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: