Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:46:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227805 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 461302 times)
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1920 on: April 05, 2012, 11:23:54 AM »

. No wonder the band became a joke in the early 90s and it was "uncool" to like GNR.

that actually never happened.  That is revisionist history at best.  Guns N Roses were the highest selling rock band of 1992, the year after "Nevermind" came out.  No matter what the media will try to sell you, the world did not instantly turn into zombies who only listened to music from Seattle after Nirvana came out, no matter how hard they want you to believe that.

It was very definitely the case in the mid-90's, though. (Not the only listening to music from Seattle bit, obviously... but it being uncool like Guns N' Roses, and them being considered a joke, etc.)
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #1921 on: April 05, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »

You know looking at the pathetic crap Adler and Saul are pulling i'm soooo happy we have the GNR we have today for many many reason. No wonder the band became a joke in the early 90s and it was "uncool" to like GNR.

Yeah, those were pretty dark days when GN'R was in their creative prime, touring non stop, putting out 5 albums in 6 years...
Things are much better now.

Newsflash...You're wrong.

I was the biggest GNR fan in 1993 and got ridiculed by all the grunge freaks. Face it Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc... were cool GNR were not.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #1922 on: April 05, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »

. No wonder the band became a joke in the early 90s and it was "uncool" to like GNR.

that actually never happened.  That is revisionist history at best.  Guns N Roses were the highest selling rock band of 1992, the year after "Nevermind" came out.  No matter what the media will try to sell you, the world did not instantly turn into zombies who only listened to music from Seattle after Nirvana came out, no matter how hard they want you to believe that.

It was very definitely the case in the mid-90's, though. (Not the only listening to music from Seattle bit, obviously... but it being uncool like Guns N' Roses, and them being considered a joke, etc.)

Correct I should have stated mid-90s

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1923 on: April 05, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »

You know looking at the pathetic crap Adler and Saul are pulling i'm soooo happy we have the GNR we have today for many many reason. No wonder the band became a joke in the early 90s and it was "uncool" to like GNR.

Yeah, those were pretty dark days when GN'R was in their creative prime, touring non stop, putting out 5 albums in 6 years...

I was the biggest GNR fan in 1993 and got ridiculed by all the grunge freaks. Face it Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc... were cool GNR were not.

I can't fathom people ridiculing you, especially people you refer to as grunge freaks.

Anyways, sorry to hear that. I think the fact that GN'R toured themselves into the ground by '93 and were essentially a fractured band had more to do with their lack of popularity than the "grunge" era forcing them out.

They were still the biggest band in the world after Nevermind broke. They killed their own momentum any way you slice it.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1924 on: April 05, 2012, 11:41:51 AM »

I can't fathom people ridiculing you, especially people you refer to as grunge freaks.

Anyways, sorry to hear that. I think the fact that GN'R toured themselves into the ground by '93 and were essentially a fractured band had more to do with their lack of popularity than the "grunge" era forcing them out.

They were still the biggest band in the world after Nevermind broke. They killed their own momentum any way you slice it.

I agree.  Aerosmith had their greatest commercial success in 1994 and 1995 with"Get a Grip", Metallica was also hugely successful, there is no doubt in my mind if GNR put out a record in 96 or so it would have done well.  There was a market for blues based hard rock still at that time.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1925 on: April 05, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »

But the only problem I have with what you said is that you are blaming Slash for it somehow.  Slash put out a platinum solo album in 1995, I can't really see how he solely brought the bands popularity down.

The biggest problem in my opinion was whatever was going on behind the scenes, and then they took themselves out of the spotlight.  So while other bands from the 80's disappeared due to lack of sales, GNR disappeared because they decided to, leaving the average music fan to think they went down with the rest of the bands from that era.  Which was of course false.

Note:  Hootie and The Blowfish were massively popular around this time, there was obviously something wrong with peoples opinions on music during that time.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1926 on: April 05, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »

To boot, the Faith No More/Metallica/GnR stadium tour sold HUGE, selling out pretty much every show.  Sure, it was a trifecta....but trust me, people weren't walking out during the LONG set change between Metallica and GnR.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1927 on: April 05, 2012, 12:01:30 PM »

That qualification says pretty much everything that needs to be said. 

Counterculture Flannel invaded en masse in the mid-90's, really.  Heavy Metal/Hard Rock/Grunge played tug of war through the early 90's.

GnR was the Grunge movements poster boy for excess and everything that was wrong with music (not to mention the Nirvana/Gnr dustups).  If you were listening to what the flannel mob was saying, it's coloring your perception.   Because UYI sold well throughout the early part of the decade, and GnR continued to tour and sell out arenas all over the country (and the world).

Spaghetti incident (late '93) was the beginning of the end (and the "end" of the end was Sympathy for the Devil on the Interview with a Vampire soundtrack).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:04:55 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1928 on: April 05, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »

But the only problem I have with what you said is that you are blaming Slash for it somehow.  Slash put out a platinum solo album in 1995, I can't really see how he solely brought the bands popularity down.

The biggest problem in my opinion was whatever was going on behind the scenes, and then they took themselves out of the spotlight.  So while other bands from the 80's disappeared due to lack of sales, GNR disappeared because they decided to, leaving the average music fan to think they went down with the rest of the bands from that era.  Which was of course false.

Note:  Hootie and The Blowfish were massively popular around this time, there was obviously something wrong with peoples opinions on music during that time.

They didn't only take themselves out of the limelight. They also spent that time with literally the only news leaking through being "we can't agree on the music", "{insert name here} has left the band", and the bewildering when you listen to Chinese Democracy, "Axl wants to turn the band into Nine Inch Nails". It's not difficult to see how they could become a punchline with years of nothing but that.

On the other hand, I feel that when the band eventually became active again, and people started talking about them again, it became okay to like them once more. Even if it was, "Yeah, Guns N' Roses are good, but it's crap without Slash" and all of that other stuff, it's a lot more than what people would have said just a couple of years before that. A lot of the stuff in the press about what they were up to wasn't positive still, but I think the fact that they were doing anything at all went a long way to making sure that the name was once again relevant by the time it came for the Hall Of Fame to consider them. If we were still in a state of limbo, I very much doubt this thread would exist, because they'd probably be considered just another short-lived band that was big for a few years and then disappeared (no matter how inaccurate any of us would consider that).
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1929 on: April 05, 2012, 12:09:41 PM »

There was a point in the late 90s when GN'R was not "cool".

And that was all the media's fault. Alternative music was "cool", anything else wasn't.

Even a band like Metallica changed their image somewhat.

But then the wheel turned and another cycle started... Kids started wearing GN'R shirts again, Greatest Hits sold millions....

GN'R started touring and people realized real rock n' roll is always cool.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #1930 on: April 05, 2012, 12:45:59 PM »

There was a point in the late 90s when GN'R was not "cool".

And that was all the media's fault. Alternative music was "cool", anything else wasn't.

Even a band like Metallica changed their image somewhat.

But then the wheel turned and another cycle started... Kids started wearing GN'R shirts again, Greatest Hits sold millions....

GN'R started touring and people realized real rock n' roll is always cool.

/jarmo

Thanks exactly what I was trying to say.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1931 on: April 05, 2012, 12:54:41 PM »

Let me get this straight. Steven calls the band hacks, then apologizes, Bumblefoot accepts the apology only to be labeled as a scab (along with the rest of the band) by Steven Adler.

Classy!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #1932 on: April 05, 2012, 12:58:08 PM »

no good but well yeah, entertaining!! people keep talking about!

Re-Union time, baby!!
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #1933 on: April 05, 2012, 01:09:44 PM »

no, just plain stupid. Adler is nothing but a fucking asshole, just like he always has been. too bad some people still take him seriously.

volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #1934 on: April 05, 2012, 01:11:43 PM »

LOL it all makes sense why the band kicked this idiot out of their circle in 1990.

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
zombux
Legend

« Reply #1935 on: April 05, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »

LOL it all makes sense why the band kicked this idiot out of their circle in 1990.
it makes perfect sense whenever you see him talking rofl one of the most embarassing things EVER! hihi

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1936 on: April 05, 2012, 01:20:28 PM »

Let me guess, you're an Adler fan?

If you insult somebody, then apologize, and they accept the apology, you don't insult the same person(s) again. Unless you're a moron, have no class and/or you don't know what is coming out of your mouth.

Does Steven think he would be in the band if it wasn't for the current members?
Didn't he make decisions in his life that got him where he is today? It had nothing to do with GN'R in 2012.

/jarmo

zombux
Legend

« Reply #1937 on: April 05, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »

It had nothing to do with GN'R in 2012.
since 1990 actually ok

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1938 on: April 05, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »

NEWSFLASH TO STEVEN ADLER: The other workers aren't on strike. They quit!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1939 on: April 05, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »

NEWSFLASH TO STEVEN ADLER: The other workers aren't on strike. They quit!

Well.....there is one that was fired  crying

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: