Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:44:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227779 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 158 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame! Now it's official.  (Read 459865 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1840 on: April 04, 2012, 12:46:31 PM »

So will Green Day be making a live performance? As of right now, nothing has been confirmed and it will probably all come down to the last minute decisions of the current and former cast of Guns N? Roses ? if they decide to kiss and make up. With Slash telling Rolling Stone that Axl hates his guts and former GN?R drummer Steven Adler recently throwing the current lineup under the bus and apologizing later, we don?t have high hopes on this one but stranger things have happened and it wouldn?t be the first time Axl Rose surprised the world. That?s rock and roll!

http://loudwire.com/green-day-will-induct-guns-n-roses-into-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1841 on: April 04, 2012, 12:52:43 PM »

You do realize that Green Day started out around the exact same time as STP, AIC, Soundgarden, right?
I'm an old fart, I can admit that, but Green Day isn't exactly new. They are as old as the greats you mentioned, but far below them all as far as creativity and musicianship in my opinion. Well, musicianship is more of a fact than my opinion..

However in the last 10 years they are WAY more relevant than any of those bands, and put out much better records.  Green Day have been in their creative and commercial prime from 2004 to now.  They have been as consistent as band like Metallica, as far as longevity, but their albums actually keep getting better.

Not sure about the musician comment, better guitar playing sure, but I prefer Billie Joe as a song songwriter to all of them.  That's a personal preference.

Soundgarden has not put out a new record in well over 10 years, so they are not even candidates for that discussion.  As far as Green Day being in their commercial prime from 2004 on, sure, one only needs to look at record sales and concert sales to determine that.  As far as the quality of their records, well, that's just like  your opinion, man.

I think Black Gives Way To Blue is a great hard rock/heavy metal record and one of the better records of the last decade.

Ali
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1842 on: April 04, 2012, 12:53:37 PM »

I'm sure there were a lot of Elton John fans in 1994 saying "Why the fuck is he inducting Elton?" or "Guns N Roses sounds nothing like Elton"-it worked out fine-Axl did a great job.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:57:07 PM by Fingers » Logged

libertad
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1843 on: April 04, 2012, 12:55:17 PM »

As much as this pains people, chances are Axl was listening to more of bands like Green Day, White Zombie, and Nine Inch Nails and Nirvana in the 90's than Van Halen or Queen, or Lenny Kravitz.

Very good point

I can't believe more people aren't stoked about this. For me personally, I was all GNR(all i listened to)  until around 1993, when GNR faded out, in came Green Day, and i had another band that i fell in love with. This is amazing for ppl like me!! Easilly the best choice IMO...i'm sure there are alot of otheres in their 30's that feel the same!

I was a teenager when Dookie came out and was Green Day obsessed for a few years. As crazy as this sounds they kinda lost me at American Idiot when they became these media darlings. If that was a "concept album" I didn't really get the concept nor did I think the lyrics were anything all that special. I liked them better when it was just about masturbation and getting wasted.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1844 on: April 04, 2012, 01:04:44 PM »

As much as this pains people, chances are Axl was listening to more of bands like Green Day, White Zombie, and Nine Inch Nails and Nirvana in the 90's than Van Halen or Queen, or Lenny Kravitz.

Not so sure about Queen, but I agree with the point you're making. For my money, American Idiot is a pretty well put together rock opera type of album. People who think they're just teen idols should feel free to post their attempts at writing something like that.

I don't know if there's another band with a whinier fanbase than Guns n Roses. I come around here to keep up with news, but geez - people will literally get all worked up about anything.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1845 on: April 04, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »

I'm sure there were a lot of Elton John fans in 1994 saying "Why the fuck is he inducting Elton?" or "Guns N Roses sounds nothing like Elton"-it worked out fine-Axl did a great job.
If someone listened to "November Rain" and/or "Estranged" that might not be so surprised.  Furthermore, you have Axl and Elton doing a duet at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Show and Elton John sitting in on piano on "November Rain" at the 1992 VMAs.  So, some may not have been aware of it, but there was some precedent there.  At this point, I'm struggling to see any connection or shared history between Green Day and GN'R.

Ali
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1846 on: April 04, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »

You do realize that Green Day started out around the exact same time as STP, AIC, Soundgarden, right?
I'm an old fart, I can admit that, but Green Day isn't exactly new. They are as old as the greats you mentioned, but far below them all as far as creativity and musicianship in my opinion. Well, musicianship is more of a fact than my opinion..

Yes,  I bought Dookie in 94 so I am aware of that.  However in the last 10 years they are WAY more relevant than any of those bands, and put out much better records.  Green Day have been in their creative and commercial prime from 2004 to now.  They have been as consistent as band like Metallica, as far as longevity, but their albums actually keep getting better.

Not sure about the musician comment, better guitar playing sure, but I prefer Billie Joe as a song songwriter to all of them.  That's a personal preference.

Well it's certainly all just a matter of preference.
Relevance doesn't necessarily equate to better in my book, though.

Are Green Day and Metallica more relevant today than Soundgarden, STP, AIC?
Yup. Nicki Minaj is pretty relevant today too.

Plus it's a bit skewed since Layne Staley died, and both STP and SG broke up only to reform recently.
That and they don't play bubble gum pop music that is tailor made for commercial appeal.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1847 on: April 04, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »

If someone listened to "November Rain" and/or "Estranged" that might not be so surprised.  Furthermore, you have Axl and Elton doing a duet at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Show and Elton John sitting in on piano on "November Rain" at the 1992 VMAs.  So, some may not have been aware of it, but there was some precedent there.  At this point, I'm struggling to see any connection or shared history between Green Day and GN'R.

Ali

What history does Chris Rock have with the Chili Peppers, or Chuck D have with the Beastie Boys? (and you have to do better than they are both Rap groups).

libertad
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1848 on: April 04, 2012, 01:24:05 PM »

Ali

What history does Chris Rock have with the Chili Peppers, or Chuck D have with the Beastie Boys? (and you have to do better than they are both Rap groups).

Chris Rock is friends with the Peppers and directed one of their music videos. Chuck D and Public Enemy opened for the Beasties back in the 80's.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1849 on: April 04, 2012, 01:24:21 PM »

And you know who inducted heave metal giants Metallica into the Hall of Fame?   Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers-I would hardly call the Chili Peppers a metal band.

libertad
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1850 on: April 04, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »

I don't know if there's another band with a whinier fanbase than Guns n Roses

I DO know...there isn't one.

It seems for every supportive fan there are 3 people who live to complain.  Which is funny, because if you live to complain about a band not doing what you want at all times GNR is the last band you should be a fan of.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1851 on: April 04, 2012, 01:28:49 PM »

Ali

Chris Rock is friends with the Peppers and directed one of their music videos. Chuck D and Public Enemy opened for the Beasties back in the 80's.

CKY and Mix Master Mike iopened for Guns-that means they should induct them?

libertad
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1852 on: April 04, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »

And as I said before, Guns posted this on facebook and Twitter last night, proudly, yet people seem to know better than them who should induct them and why.

libertad
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #1853 on: April 04, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »

where's David Bowie when we need him

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1854 on: April 04, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »

It seems for every supportive fan there are 3 people who live to complain.  Which is funny, because if you live to complain about a band not doing what you want at all times GNR is the last band you should be a fan of.

Actually that statement should read like this.....if you live to complain about a band not doing what you want at all times GNR is the first band you should be a fan of.  hihi

Which may explain why we get so much bitching around here. GNR has never done things in a conventional fashion.

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1855 on: April 04, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »

Ali

CKY and Mix Master Mike iopened for Guns-that means they should induct them?

I'm not arguing your point here. Just saying there are some connections between all those people.

CIAT
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #1856 on: April 04, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »

Lol, it's pretty obvious that some of you don't know anything about Green Day. They've been around almost as long as Guns.

Broski
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #1857 on: April 04, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »

Axl/Izzy coming to HOF last minute  "Slash, let's play!!"......there still is hope   Wink

Re-Union time, baby!!
Judas Fuckin Priest
Headliner

« Reply #1858 on: April 04, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »

Ok, ok, it's not a big deal for me this Green Day issue, just expected a real band or artist. In my opinion, Green Day is the classic american band that play music to be broadcasted by MTV (or some similar commercial company ). Regarding to my "teen idols" statement, I mean, take a look to the Green Day crowd, most are teenagers, that's the target of Green Day. On the other hand, bands like Guns n' Roses, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Metallica or 90'/00's bands like FF o Queen of the Stone Age, all of them have a transverse crowd, that' why I think, Green Day it's not the appropriate induction band (in this case).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:57:38 PM by Judas Fuckin Priest » Logged
Dot
Cute and sweet
Banned
Legend

please come back (to the band of hacks)

« Reply #1859 on: April 04, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »

We have to get a way to see the ceremony online. I know the Hall was selling tix for a simulcast but they sold-out. Somebody with a ticket to the simulcast has to spread the love and find a way to share the thing...

Rock N? Roll is the answer!!!
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 158 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: