Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 01:04:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  LA Times: Axl Rose's appetite is for today's Guns N' Roses
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LA Times: Axl Rose's appetite is for today's Guns N' Roses  (Read 53967 times)
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2011, 05:13:47 AM »

he would prefer to reunite with Duff and Slash rather than Izzy and Steven?  WTF Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/12/axl-rose-talks-playing-los-angeles-rock-hall-reunion.html
Jeramy
Rocker

« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2011, 05:16:33 AM »

pretty sure he's just theoretically speaking  Tongue

"He's in my band, that's where Slash is, fuckhead. Go home!"
sworrm
Rocker

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2011, 05:17:11 AM »

Yeh i read that, i just want the current line up to stay together . Although would be cool to see all the old boys share the stage at HOF but that would open a can of worms in the press about reunions at shit
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2011, 05:58:21 AM »

So probably they will go all....
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2011, 08:37:29 AM »

Here's my concern.  Axl and Beta clash (just like Axl has with every manager) and it destroys their relationship.  He ends up firing her and killing the one constant good thing in his life.  That would mark the end of GNR.  Hiring a close friend is never NEVER a good idea.

PC
I don't understand why someone who is not in the band is giving the lead singer ultimatums-is anyone else in the band asked about these changes? If this isn't Spinal Tap, not sure what is

libertad
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2011, 09:02:12 AM »

What I'm missing in all of these interview are few simple questions;

1st...what are your near/long term goals...
since CD's sales have been relatively low compared to bands of similar calibre, like metallica or RHCP, do you plan on taking steps that doesnt happen again, and do you even care about album sales.

2nd same applies for tours. Ticket sales are lagging behind metallica, rhcp, and bon jovi... and GNR is above those bands.

I dont know how they view these questions, but they are important factor in any busines situation. If they dont care for big audiences... then ok, but if they wanna have sold out shows, or do arena tours... then they need to have more popular aproach... from magazines to tv shows, to vids...

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2011, 10:26:54 AM »

What I'm missing in all of these interview are few simple questions;

1st...what are your near/long term goals...
since CD's sales have been relatively low compared to bands of similar calibre, like metallica or RHCP, do you plan on taking steps that doesnt happen again, and do you even care about album sales.

2nd same applies for tours. Ticket sales are lagging behind metallica, rhcp, and bon jovi... and GNR is above those bands.

I dont know how they view these questions, but they are important factor in any busines situation. If they dont care for big audiences... then ok, but if they wanna have sold out shows, or do arena tours... then they need to have more popular aproach... from magazines to tv shows, to vids...

Asking Axl why his album and ticket sales are shitty may not be your best route as a journalist. No wonder he's picky about giving interviews  Huh

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
JSMastro
Opening Act

« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2011, 10:51:16 AM »

Asking Axl why his album and ticket sales are shitty may not be your best route as a journalist. No wonder he's picky about giving interviews  Huh
[/quote]

LOL Couldn't agree more!  "Why do you suck so bad compare to your competition?" is a terrible question for an artist, who clearly doesn't give a f-ck about what others do!

Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2011, 02:18:07 PM »

LOL Couldn't agree more!  "Why do you suck so bad compare to your competition?" is a terrible question for an artist, who clearly doesn't give a f-ck about what others do!

[/quote]

The answers are right there for you though, RHCP and Metallica have a label that promotes them, web sites , etc etc and are a lot more press friendly than GnR. Axl and other band members have said themselves a hundred times that their label does not support them at all and they constantly have managers that just want a reunion for the big pay day. Axl just isnt the guy to whore himself out for publicity. 

I think this tour has been a huge success for the lack of promotion that it had and the same for CD, it sold a lot of copies for having zero promotion. I really think GnR is alive and well.

I just dont understand anyone that would even consider the idea of a reunion. This band live is absolutely incredible.

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »

he would prefer to reunite with Duff and Slash rather than Izzy and Steven?  WTF Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

No, you misunderstood Axl.  Granted, he wasn't really clear, but I'm sure what Axl meant was that only Duff and Slash would be capable of withstanding all the work that goes into touring.  He's saying that he believes Izzy and Steven couldn't, so the cries for a full blown original lineup reunion are for naught even if they were on good terms.  That's Axl's belief, and I'll grant him that there may be merit to it.  Izzy has proven that he's random about doing shows, and Steven -- much as I love the guy -- hasn't proven that he can tour for extended periods of time.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2011, 11:21:31 PM »

What will they clash about?  Beta will do everything he tells her without question.

But that could be the problem.  A manager is supposed to challenge the artist too, not just be a "yes" person.

Interesting. Was it bitter and insecure for Slash to mention Axl like he did for so many years?

Bitter, definitely.  Slash himself has admitted several times that his post-GNR negativity towards Axl was brought on by pent-up bitterness that ate him up.  However, he was generally being asked his opinion on Axl (as opposed to bringing him up for no reason), and he'd been pretty quiet from 1996-2001 about Axl, so it had been building for five years within him.  I don't think insecurity really had anything to do with it.

When AXL made the recent comments about Slash, you're talking about a guy who left Guns N Roses 15 years ago.  Axl has since recorded and toured with lineups that he claims make him happy, which is cool.  So why the need to bring Slash up at all?  Especially when NOBODY asked about Slash.  In fact, Axl always makes it a point that he is NOT to be asked about Slash, but then brought him up anyway and spoke a good bit about him.

My thoughts are that -- regardless of who joins his "Guns N Roses" lineup -- Axl realizes that the specter of Slash will haunt him forever and a day.  Since Axl doesn't care for Slash, that must really eat him up, so he says these sorts of things to attempt to minimize Slash's contributions to Guns N Roses.

Maybe 4 or 5 people on this particular website will be duped into believing that Slash had little to do with the musicianship and success of Guns N Roses, but the millions who supported the band from 1987-1993 remember differently.

I will again state that if Axl were truly secure in his current lineup and their place in Guns N Roses, he wouldn't need to tear down any former member of the band, or even think of them.  He would just acknowledge their place in GNR history and continue on with his new band.  Slash, Steven, Duff, and Izzy have all been critical of Axl's demeanor in various ways, but they've never discredited Axl in terms of GNR's musical success.  Why can't he do the same for them, rather than foolishly trying to revise history?

Slash and Axl haven't spoken or been in a band together for 15 years, so what is Axl gaining by slandering him at this point?  Slash hasn't spoken negatively about Axl in years, so it's not like Axl has anything to retaliate over.

Agreed. I think Axl and Izzy's partnership was the cornerstone of GN'R.

Also, I think people are looking at what Axl said about Slash in global terms when my impression was that Axl was specially speaking of AFD. I think that record was defined musically more by Izzy, with Axl adding lyrics and melodies, along with key riffs and, of course, solos by Slash.

I don't necessarily disagree, but Steven's rhythm contributions cannot be denied.  People don't typically credit drummers in any band, but Slash and Izzy have both made it a point to say that Steven deserves a huge amount of credit for the spark and the (to use Izzy's words) push-and-pull that gave those songs their feel, and they're 100% correct.  Steven's drumming is incredibly rhythmic and drives the record forward.  At the end of the day, it was all about chemistry between five guys.  Songwriting credits don't mean everything.  The fusions of styles and ideas are equally important, and the five original members just had it.

On the point of bitterness, I will point one thing out: when Duff first played with the current GN'R lineup in London, Slash was asked about it. He brought up, unprompted, a remark about that show starting late. So, to sit here and say Slash has no lingering bitterness is misleading. Both men still have lingering anger and bitterness.

Ali
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2011, 12:08:36 AM »

This thread is driving me nuts ! none of us know what goes on behind the scenes, who are we to stay that Beta can't manage GnR.  Already we have had a live stream of one show and another coming on the 30th ! that's pretty damn cool for us Guns fans.  As far as Slash goes... Axl is right, Slash was a late edition to the band.  Past interviews have proven that statement, plus coming in after the Illusions album and demanding that the Snakepit record be the next GnR album that tell's you alot right there.  Give it up... there will be NO reunion.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2011, 12:20:08 AM »

This thread is driving me nuts ! none of us know what goes on behind the scenes, who are we to stay that Beta can't manage GnR.  Already we have had a live stream of one show and another coming on the 30th ! that's pretty damn cool for us Guns fans.  As far as Slash goes... Axl is right, Slash was a late edition to the band.  Past interviews have proven that statement, plus coming in after the Illusions album and demanding that the Snakepit record be the next GnR album that tell's you alot right there.  Give it up... there will be NO reunion.
Having Duff McKagan's band open for you twice in the past week or so, and mentioning Slash in your 2nd major interview (does he remember that Robin Fink and Buckethead were in this band? And played on the album??) does not help the cause.

libertad
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2011, 12:35:07 AM »

Having Duff McKagan's band open for you twice in the past week or so, and mentioning Slash in your 2nd major interview (does he remember that Robin Fink and Buckethead were in this band? And played on the album??) does not help the cause.

I don't see the point your trying to make ? Duff and Axl are friends.  He mentioned Slash in a interview...  ok ?

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2011, 02:38:37 AM »

On the point of bitterness, I will point one thing out: when Duff first played with the current GN'R lineup in London, Slash was asked about it. He brought up, unprompted, a remark about that show starting late. So, to sit here and say Slash has no lingering bitterness is misleading. Both men still have lingering anger and bitterness.

First of all, my statement was that Slash hasn't made any negative remarks about Axl lately, not that he doesn't haven't any residual bitterness.  I wouldn't really know if Slash is still bitter or not, but if he is, he hasn't made it publicly known.  And just how do you know Slash's comment wasn't made with a smirk on his face?  You just read it on the internet, you didn't see his face.  A subtle quip about the show starting late isn't necessarily indicative of lingering bitterness, and it's nowhere near the explicitly scathing diatribe that Axl espoused at Slash in his recent remarks, in which you don't even have to see Axl's expression to hear the bitterness in his voice.

Axl is right, Slash was a late edition to the band.  Past interviews have proven that statement,

First off, it's "addition" not "edition".  Secondly, you and Axl are both arguing bullshit semantics that no one cares about.  Appetite for Destruction was the first record released by Guns N Roses, and the band's lineup was Slash, Izzy, Axl, Steven, and Duff.  All five were credited with songwriting and playing.  All five were original members.  Nothing else matters, and no one gives a damn about anything else.

For Axl to bray on and on about who joined the band at what time is nothing more than a desperate, asinine attempt to discredit Slash, and -- with the exception of 5 or 6 of Axl's disciples on this website -- the world does not buy it or even care.  To the entire world, Slash will ALWAYS be the guitar god from Guns N Roses, and nothing Axl says will change that, no matter how much it kills him (which it obviously does).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 02:49:41 AM by Bridge » Logged
Tongue-like-a-razor
Headliner

A sweet switch-blade knife...

« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2011, 03:49:50 AM »

Slash being a late addition is bullshit. Would Axl - or anyone on this board - have preferred to have been stuck with Tracii Guns instead???
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2011, 04:15:53 AM »

I think you guys are really taking this way too personal. I've been a die hard GNR fan from the beginning, saw every line up, experienced great pleasure with the music that came with. Truth is we aren't these guys head, we have no damn clue . for myself following this band with such passion since 87, and yes I think the line up is as deserving and is indeed GUNS N ROSES today.
  That being said, I personally think that of course Slash , Duff, Izzy, Steven, played a HUGE part, for if not I don't think anyone who has loved the songs and the music can say they would if not for that magic moment.

But face it people can change life goes on and as my part as a fan, cause that is what I am , I assume people here posting are likewise. Debating this crap amongst our         selves is getting boring.lol.

So either you are a fan of GNR or you aren't! And that means every damn thing every recorded!. I was listening to Nov rain back in 87, along with don't cry etc. I was avid to know all about them at 17 yrs of age, they blew me away. I love the piano version of dont cry so much !!!. But I grew with the band as they grew, I had separations, and reconciliations, some people I just cant and refuse to, I get that, Im ok with that, and I assume those guys Axl, and Slash have to decide , its not up to us. Anyway ROCK ON ! GNR FOREVER!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2011, 04:52:38 AM »

First of all, my statement was that Slash hasn't made any negative remarks about Axl lately, not that he doesn't haven't any residual bitterness.  I wouldn't really know if Slash is still bitter or not, but if he is, he hasn't made it publicly known.  And just how do you know Slash's comment wasn't made with a smirk on his face?  You just read it on the internet, you didn't see his face.  A subtle quip about the show starting late isn't necessarily indicative of lingering bitterness, and it's nowhere near the explicitly scathing diatribe that Axl espoused at Slash in his recent remarks, in which you don't even have to see Axl's expression to hear the bitterness in his voice.

Axl is right, Slash was a late edition to the band.  Past interviews have proven that statement,

First off, it's "addition" not "edition".  Secondly, you and Axl are both arguing bullshit semantics that no one cares about.  Appetite for Destruction was the first record released by Guns N Roses, and the band's lineup was Slash, Izzy, Axl, Steven, and Duff.  All five were credited with songwriting and playing.  All five were original members.  Nothing else matters, and no one gives a damn about anything else.

For Axl to bray on and on about who joined the band at what time is nothing more than a desperate, asinine attempt to discredit Slash, and -- with the exception of 5 or 6 of Axl's disciples on this website -- the world does not buy it or even care.  To the entire world, Slash will ALWAYS be the guitar god from Guns N Roses, and nothing Axl says will change that, no matter how much it kills him (which it obviously does).

Sorry for the typo.  Just look to the 1987-88 interview for proof Slash was a late edition.  They put a ad in the paper for a blues guitarist and they weren't quite sure but he kept popping up.  I don't care what the world thinks, or what the media has spinned against Axl.  I believe him because he was in the band...  This tour has been amazing and I appreciate Axl and the band for their hard work.  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 05:26:09 AM by GNR4L » Logged

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2011, 05:18:05 AM »

I think its simple, Axl and Slash were big in Guns, both had a strong character and so they colide and didnt like each other that much. Happens all the time, each one wanted to get things done their way. They had to suck it up and work together, thats done and they wouldnt be able to do it again.

The manager thing its on the same route i guess, Axl is an amazing artist, but he is a rockstar and has a difficult character, when he was young he was forced to do things he didnt wanted to, he signed contracts etc. He had to tour and promote and shut up. Now he is older and he wont put himself on the same position, he wants to do things his way, but this causes problems on the buissnes side,  managers know he can produce much more millions but he wont do it the way they want. In my opinion its cool that Axl wont give up to the presure, but that comes with the territory of GNR not having as much succes as in the past. Its ok, he once had the biggest band in the world, he has the luxury know to just take it easy and create amazing songs.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2011, 06:01:18 AM »

I think you guys are really taking this way too personal. I've been a die hard GNR fan from the beginning, saw every line up, experienced great pleasure with the music that came with. Truth is we aren't these guys head, we have no damn clue . for myself following this band with such passion since 87, and yes I think the line up is as deserving and is indeed GUNS N ROSES today.
  That being said, I personally think that of course Slash , Duff, Izzy, Steven, played a HUGE part, for if not I don't think anyone who has loved the songs and the music can say they would if not for that magic moment.

But face it people can change life goes on and as my part as a fan, cause that is what I am , I assume people here posting are likewise. Debating this crap amongst our         selves is getting boring.lol.

So either you are a fan of GNR or you aren't! And that means every damn thing every recorded!. I was listening to Nov rain back in 87, along with don't cry etc. I was avid to know all about them at 17 yrs of age, they blew me away. I love the piano version of dont cry so much !!!. But I grew with the band as they grew, I had separations, and reconciliations, some people I just cant and refuse to, I get that, Im ok with that, and I assume those guys Axl, and Slash have to decide , its not up to us. Anyway ROCK ON ! GNR FOREVER!

It's the fact people base there own assumptions that they know what's going on with GnR... When they have no clue.  Whatever Axl says gets twisted and they think oh.... There's a chance of a reunion.  They forget to mention that the article states his face lights up when the names Ron, DJ, Richard, Tommy and the rest of the band are brought up.  For some people that's not what they wanna hear.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: